• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it dangerous that people see YouTubers as "their friends"?

Varjet

Don't know about Youtube, but on Twitch I sometimes get the impression that people are paying money just to get acknowledged by the streamer.

Without a doubt. You don't know them, they don't know you, and the vast majority of them probably don't WANT to know you. I think a lot of people are going to bring up the milkshake duck angle, but honestly it isn't great for the youtuber either. There's a very fine line between fandom and obsession, and projecting friendship onto internet strangers is a very uncomfortable position for the person on the receiving end.

People? Adults? Yes.

Kids? Normal, I guess. Parents just gotta own up and let em know that they aren't. Kids are always gonna be doing and saying weird shit though, so long as it doesn't seep into their young adult and full adult years I'd say the kids should be fine.

True, which is why parents need to be heavily involved and actively monitor what their kids are watching.
Bingo. If you don't want to take time to be a parent, don't have kids. And if you already have kids and worry about not having enough time for yourself, reevaluate your priorities.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Dont some streamers even have that "If you donate 5$, I say your name" kind of stuff?

A lot do. It drives donations.

I'd say generally it's something less than friends but more than entertainers/audiences.

53f.jpg

I feel sorry for this boy.

What's dangerous is you advocating for some type of internet law to fix this "problem".

I am just saying that YT channels should follow the same law in a country that TV-stations, radio-stations etc. already follow.
Hate-Speech e.g. in Germany. Gambling. Donation-laws etc.

Why shouldnt Internet videos follow the same laws?

Don't know about Youtube, but on Twitch I sometimes get the impression that people are paying money just to get acknowledged by the streamer.
I mean, it's pretty obvious that's the entire reason for tips and donations. Nearly every streamer reads out their donations for that very reason.

I've actually thought about this before - I consume so much Giantbomb material that they really do feel like friends. It's super weird.

I have a healthy social life, so it has never become an actual concern for me. It's more of a fascination and cultural oddity. Weird how you can become so "close" with people you never interact with.

120v

isn't that whole "hook" of the phenomenon, though. it's interactive and personable. even the most cynical and astute viewer is onboard for that experience.

i don't think it's any more dangerous than imaginary friends or daydreaming about One Direction taking you to the prom, or whatever. unless the kid is seriously maladjusted s/he grows out of it

Zolo

I mean, it's pretty obvious that's the entire reason for tips and donations. Nearly every streamer reads out their donations for that very reason.

Yeah. I don't see the appeal, but then again, my social life is okay and I never got into idol or celebrity culture.

Staf

I don't have a problem with it really. I think my nephews has this kind of relationship with pewdiepie, they are 10 and 12 and often watches him. As long as they have "real friends" as well i don't see the harm.

Reminded me of this.
ce2Olo9.jpg

Seriously though, people have always developed strange attachments to things they shouldn't. Ever heard teenage girls talk/argue about boyband members? Or maybe when People refer to the team they support as "we"
I remember the folk at a place I used to work at talking about soaps, if I didn't know any better I'd genuinely think they were talking about family members.

Plum

You mean Mike, Jay and Rich Evans aren't my friends? But we get together to talk about movies a few times a month! That must at least be on the 'friendly' acquaintance level, right?

I don't actually believe this.

Zolo

Any person that wouldn't drive out to help you if your car broke down in the middle of the night isn't a friend.

You mean Mike, Jay and Rich Evans aren't my friends? But we get together to talk about movies a few times a month! That must at least be on the 'friendly' acquaintance level, right?

I don't actually believe this.

It would be hard for me to consider people who showed me Neil Breen's ballsack to be friends.

Ravelle

The bad channels yeah, there's also a lot of good streamers having a good channel and audience that just likes to donate, some even ask not to be named when donating.

Then there's the rotten apples that complain their name isn't showing on screen when donating and complaining.

autoduelist

We live in an age where some people are perfectly happy having webcam girlfriends [bought and paid for]. There are plenty of studies and articles on how social interaction has changed since the advent of social media and apps. I don't know that this is avoidable in the grand scheme of things.

People have closely identified with celebrities for a long time. Any of the famous stalker cases are prime examples, but obviously there are plenty of cases that are nearly as creep but don't go to the same lengths [ie, a person sitting on their couch thinking an actor is their friend, or people unable to separate an actor from their role].

This is a problem with entertainment media - some humans clearly aren't capable of dealing with modern media in a healthy manner. To that end, yes, this is a problem because parents leaving their kids to youtube [or other media] are effectively allowing this to run rampant... without proper guidance, anything can be a problem, and with more exposure, more cases will veer towards the 'extreme' side of things.

The only answer is, as usual, better parenting. Unfortunately, that seems to be too much to ask of many parents.

Quonny

I'm gonna use this opportunity to ask if anyone knows what are dunkey's politics and whatnot. I love his videos, but I'm afraid to get too involved just to realize that "milkshake duck is a fucking Nazi" I don't like YouTubers but he's one of the few that makes me laugh.
He has no problem calling people 'faggots' and got banned from League of Legenda for telling many people to kill themselves and overall bring super toxic.

Enjoy.

brawly

It's sad more than anything.

But it's not any different from actual friends in terms of influence. Timmy from down the block can also be a racist.

Orayn

Yes, absolutely. That and the maxim of "never meet your heroes" simultaneously hold.

On one hand, the internet lets you develop a weird sense of one-sided familiarity with someone whose work you enjoy, which can manifest in creepy fan behavior and a very strong feeling of entitlement toward their effort and time.

On the other, that same fake-closeness allows folks to really marinate in the habits, attitudes, and worldview of someone who could turn out to be really nasty and hateful. People, often impressionable and young ones, join communities where really terrible stuff is normalized, but it happens in an insidious way because their online life is often compartmentalized from how they interact with others in real life. That is, of course, until it isn't compartmentalized anymore and that behavior bleeds into meatspace as well.

There are a lot of possible terrible outcomes, and they're all happening all the damn time.

Village

Yes,

Totalbuiscuit says a bunch of dumb offensive shit, has done dumb terrible things, and is strait up kind of a terrible person because of all that stuff.

He said this nugget of truth though

" I AM NOT YOUR FRIEND" talking to his audience, telling them they should not trust youtubers, because they are glorified salesmen selling them a product and the audience is consumers.

Edzi

Yes, and it's the main reason I find most 'professional' twitch streaming to be kind of sad and exploitative by nature.

Yep, and it's always felt really gross to me since the streamer knows exactly what they're doing. It's always uncomfortable when you see a large donation get made in a stream and the streamer awkwardly showers the person with praise, which is likely the main reason the person donated to begin with. Stream interaction is a good thing, but not when it turns into this cycle of people paying money just to hear the streamer say their name and acknowledge them for a second.

Sometimes I can't help but feel like the entire thing is built to take advantage of lonely people.

HeatBoost

People making faulty assumptions about the level of intimacy they have with any given person is old news, and the internet is just a "new" frontier for that

The only effective counter is to make sure people have the wherewithal to realize no, the president/senator/activist/sexy celebrity/funny youtuber/writer you think understands you doesn't actually know or care who you are .And even if they wanted to, it'd be impractical for them to do so.

Calabi

I thought this was going to be about how GiantBomb and EasyAllies and many other podcasts are basically "friend simulators".

I don't quite understand why you are framing your point this way, because YT is hardly unique in this respect. What you are describing is a "celebrity" and it also even applies to minor names on social media like twitter and instagram. Also people might also end up being "real life" friends with people who do and believe in racist, etc. things.

It doesnt apply to normal celebrities though. Celebrities dont talk to their audience like Youtubers do. Its even worse with Streamers where you can directly interact with them and they say they are your friends.

Its on a level of interaction and personalization that hasnt quite been seen before. You feel like you know everything about these peoples lives, they give you access to it all it, access to their thoughts and home life everything almost everything it seems. Its unfiltered, and raw.

These people have a great amount of influence on their fans, its how people work. Its dangerous for both.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
As an older person, I think a lot of people these days have an unhealthy relationship with the internet generally.

Too much investment/integration/dependence within their day-to-day lives. Some degree of separation is neccesary with such a chaotic thing in my view.

Rathorial

It's what happens with the youtube format where channels can be driven by one person's personality in front of a camera, and that they interact with their audience more because the platform allows it. Not that much different from other TV though that kids can get sucked into, especially if they don't have many friends in their real-life...or musicians that always say "you" in their song so they can generically act like they're speaking to anyone listening.

I think now people view youtubers in such extremes now. Too many apologists that think they're amazing and perfect, and then people that think they're a terrible influence that should be silenced.

Skux

Parasocial relationships are the kind of one sided pseudo-relationships we develop over time with people or characters we might see on TV or in the movies. So, just as a friendship evolves through spending time together and sharing personal thoughts and opinions, parasocial relationships evolve by watching characters on our favorite TV shows, and becoming involved with their personal lives, idiosyncrasies, and experiences as if they were those of a friend.

Scientists found that on a psychological level, people have the same reaction to seeing people on a TV show as they do when seeing their real life friends.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/imaginary-friends/

Sarobi

Banned
Sometimes I can't help but feel like the entire thing is built to take advantage of lonely people.

It really is, though. You won't make the big money on Twitch until you start finding your niche, and catering to the lonely portion of it.

Apathy

The internet age has certainly exasperated a problem that has always existed, this concept that people have a hard time differentiating entertainers from friends. Usually occurs in those that have terrible social skills.

The YouTube/twitch streamers and internet celebrities prey on people like this. They go and refer to them as friends and these people believe them and build the social network around these people that you or I would make in real life.

Top Bottom