• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it safe to say that Alpha was the worst series in mainline Street Fighter?

Riposte

EX isn't mainline.

Zero/Alpha is actually pretty great and a major milestone for the overall series, if not genre. I think more the III games are worse, if that matters, and IV isn't anything special relative to its contemporaries.

Alpha 3 and 3rd Strike would probably shine brighter if they got as many opportunities to be balanced as IV. Maybe II also if Sirlin didn't get too ambitious or controversial.

petran79

Banned
too bad Dreamcast didnt survive to get SFA3 Upper.
Running on NAOMI hardware it would have been the perfect port, just like MvC2 and CvSNK2

antibolo

Banned
Alpha 3 died quickly as a competitive game but it is still considered the definitive Street Fighter game by many, for its large cast that mixes both classic and new characters, great artistic direction, solid music, and easy to pick up mechanics.

Skilletor

Alpha 3 PS1 was based off Upper. Upper included more characters than the previous releases, and only the PS1 and PS2 Anthology release have those.

Upper wasn't out yet. Alpha ps1 is arcade with additional characters, upper is based off the ps1 version, I believe.

Dreamcast version is upper.

Threi

notag
Came here to say this. Third strike is not just the best street fighter game, it's the best fighting game of all time.
mj-laughing.gif

Knew this thread would bring the comedy

Well opinions and all that lol

Syntsui

Why no one plays them on tournaments? Like the OP said, there are a bunch of side tournaments of ST and 3rd Strike, but no one cares about the alpha series.

RangerX

Banned
Its quite unsafe to say OP because I'll come and find you. The alpha series is amazing and Alpha 2 is probably my favourite street fighter

honestly. 3s would of been a better game if it had none of the typical SF characters and went will all new characters.

Chun, Ken, Ryu, and akuma shouldn't have been in the game. Then make yun's super meter larger and the game would be more fun.

Fighting Chun was super stupid and I thought Ken was stupid as well.

Biker19

Banned
I wouldn't say so, exactly. After all, we got to see Chun-Li in her jumpsuit (IMO, she's sexier that way than her usual suit, save for the detailed look on it on Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike).

And Alpha 2/Zero 2 is the best Alpha/Zero game of the bunch.

Cassius

Did Alpha 3 ever have a competitive scene? I've always wondered why this game hasn't shown up at EVO or maybe I'm just ignorant of it ever being popular.

GamerJM

Banned
If EX counts then that.

But otherwise yeah. I really don't care for any of the Alpha games at all. Granted I'm not much of a Street Fighter player. But I'd rank the series 3>4>2>Alpha.

It's safe to say in your opinion. But I heavily disagree with it. Alpha is the best in the series IMO and Alpha 3 is the best 2D fighter ever made.

Skilletor

Did Alpha 3 ever have a competitive scene? I've always wondered why this game hasn't shown up at EVO or maybe I'm just ignorant of it ever being popular.

Battle by the Bay. Evo before it was evo.

http://shoryuken.com/2011/09/14/bla...ay-b3-street-fighter-alpha-2-tournament-1996/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...twIwAQ&usg=AFQjCNGqeBjUHDlx7Fyn8s0us13NpXfieA

People saying these games had no competitive presence are making me lol. Alpha series was popular before the internet made it easy to have exposure for videogames.

Syntsui

Battle by the Bay. Evo before it was evo.

http://shoryuken.com/2011/09/14/bla...ay-b3-street-fighter-alpha-2-tournament-1996/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...twIwAQ&usg=AFQjCNGqeBjUHDlx7Fyn8s0us13NpXfieA

People saying these games had no competitive presence are making me lol. Alpha series was popular before the internet made it easy to have exposure for videogames.
ST and 3rd Strike too, and they are still played. Where are the tournaments of alpha series nowadays?

Skilletor

ST and 3rd Strike too, and they are still played. Where are the tournaments of alpha series nowadays?

Dunno? Alpha 3 is pretty broken at high level. Don't know why we don't see more alpha 2. Don't see many cvs2 tourneys, and that is one of the best fighters ever.

Don't see how not having tourneys today invalidates their popularity at and past the time of release

Also sf3 wasn't played at release. Game didn't pick up until the third iteration and alpha 3 waning in popularity.

EX2+ was just godly. Wish they brought the characters back (damn u Arika!). I mean, just look at Garuda. Badass!

There was nothing really boss about him. He was the Street Fighter version of Bishamon design wise and to a lesser extent Sodom.

Upper wasn't out yet. Alpha ps1 is arcade with additional characters, upper is based off the ps1 version, I believe.

Dreamcast version is upper.

Edit: my bad mistaking it for Max.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
too bad Dreamcast didnt survive to get SFA3 Upper.
Running on NAOMI hardware it would have been the perfect port, just like MvC2 and CvSNK2
SFA3U Naomi is based off of SFA3 Dreamcast. They're pretty close.

Keep in mind that SFA3 was actually released after SF3:NG, and the 1998 Street Fighter championships used SFA3. SFA3 was more popular than SF3 competitively for several years.

High-level play in SFA3 eventually got pretty convoluted, and the CVS series seemed to take its spot. SF3:3S eventually built up a userbase that appreciated that game for what it is.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
There is no "worst series," just bad game entries. And the award for worst entry goes to Street Fighter 1, of course!

I'd also nominate EX3. Definite rushed entry and weakest in that series. Arika should have just gotten Fighting Layer ported to the PS2 instead.

CPS2

Yeah SF1 is easily the worst. After that it's all down to preference. SF1 is sort of objectively bad tho.

BTW I watched part of Juice the other day and was amazed to see 2Pac playing SF1.

yurinka

IMOH this is the order from better to worse :
SF2
SF3
SFA
SFIV
SF vs (Xmen,MSH,MvC)
SFxT
SFEX
SF
SF The Movie
SF The animated movie (Japan)

EX is much better than the slop that is know as Alpha. Glad some of the good characters got into SF4, as that game is a loose mess. By Street Fighter standards anyway.

Jarnet87

I played a lot more of EX then I have of 4. EX also gave us the birth of Skullomania, so it can't be the worst. I'd go:

3>Alpha>EX>2>4

ban25

Disagree. Zero 3 is my personal favorite (though I have a soft spot for Hyper Fighting / SCE). I've tried but have not been able to get into 4.

Neff

IV, easily.

Slow, flowchart-y, with a community playstyle plagued by achingly predictable Focus abuse and dialed combos. It's not a bad series but it's far from a good one, relatively speaking.

II, III, EX and Zero all represent better incarnations of SF imo.

SFI doesn't count. It barely exists.

impact

Banned
3 >>>> 2 >> 4 > Alpha

Can't say I like any of them besides 3, but 2 is a classic that I respect. SF3 series just has such great characters, graphics/art, music, gameplay mechanics, etc. It's unmatched in the genre.

stn

If I had to separate the games:

ELITE: ST/HDR
Very stable engine. All play styles can be strong. Rewards footsies, rewards offense, and rewards smart defense. I feel like every beginner to SF should at least try ST to learn a solid ground-game that is not reliant on gimmicks. It does have some BS--Hawk's OS setups, for example--but the strength of zoning keeps players very honest. You really have to learn how to "get in" to survive in this game.

GREAT: CVS2, Alpha 2, SFxT, 3S
I feel all these games reward footsies and smart play. Though some of the games favor one playstyle over another (i.e. rushdown over everything) but they are still fundamentally sound. There is some BS to be found in some of these games (CVS Blanka, 3S Chun) but the core of each game is rooted on a solid foundation.

GOOD: AE
Rewards fundamentals but not as much as the other games (ex. AA's trading, random focus crumple to beat pokes). Has some very honest characters but also has its share of flowcharting, tons of jumping, and dial-a-offense. Does not offer a very good risk-reward for initiating offense since it gives the defender MANY options. Its a solid game but I feel it places much more emphasis on memorizing setups and learning how to tech over learning spacing and AA'ing.

DECENT: A3
I love everything about A3. Except the fact that it has a ton of infinites. Take those away and this game shoots up the rankings easily. I love playing it, love the roster, and love the music. But I have to recognize how much infinites hinder the play.

Alpha 2 and 3 are some of my favorite Street Fighters of all time. That double battle with Ryu and Ken vs Akuma in the rainy field..... so good.

Skilletor

If I had to separate the games:

ELITE: ST/HDR
Very stable engine. All play styles can be strong. Rewards footsies, rewards offense, and rewards smart defense. I feel like every beginner to SF should at least try ST to learn a solid ground-game that is not reliant on gimmicks. It does have some BS--Hawk's OS setups, for example--but the strength of zoning keeps players very honest. You really have to learn how to "get in" to survive in this game.

GREAT: CVS2, Alpha 2, SFxT, 3S
I feel all these games reward footsies and smart play. Though some of the games favor one playstyle over another (i.e. rushdown over everything) but they are still fundamentally sound. There is some BS to be found in some of these games (CVS Blanka, 3S Chun) but the core of each game is rooted on a solid foundation.

GOOD: AE
Rewards fundamentals but not as much as the other games (ex. AA's trading, random focus crumple to beat pokes). Has some very honest characters but also has its share of flowcharting, tons of jumping, and dial-a-offense. Does not offer a very good risk-reward for initiating offense since it gives the defender MANY options. Its a solid game but I feel it places much more emphasis on memorizing setups and learning how to tech over learning spacing and AA'ing.

DECENT: A3
I love everything about A3. Except the fact that it has a ton of infinites. Take those away and this game shoots up the rankings easily. I love playing it, love the roster, and love the music. But I have to recognize how much infinites hinder the play.

I pretty much agree with this, except I'd put A2 up with ST. I think Ultra SF4 making FADC -5 on uppers will make the game a lot better for me, personally.

Top Bottom