• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it "The Coast is Clear" or "The Ghost is Clear"?

So much missinformation in here.

It's "the ghost is clear"

An adaption of a very old idiom "the ghost is queer".

It is an olde english term from medival times when ghosts where common place along with knights, dragons, wizards and elves. Most ghosts were mundane and normal things but every now and then one would be up to no good and act weird by haunting someone. Hence the term "the ghost is queer". Queer simply used to mean weird back then. As ghosts became extinct the term slowly attapted into "the ghost is clear" meaning "nothing in here, not even a ghost".

It's pretty common knowledge here in England.

And I have an ounce of the finest green to hand too.

Nimajneb

...how does "tow the line" make more sense than "toe the line?"

How have you ever heard the expression used where "tow the line" made more sense? The idiom means to follow orders or conform to a standard. How would using a tow truck to pull a god damn line make any sense?

Tow the line would refer to a person pulling the party line. Like furthering the party's agenda. It makes perfect sense.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Tow the line would refer to a person pulling the party line. Like furthering the party's agenda. It makes perfect sense.

Can you tell me examples of where you've heard it said that gave you that impression? I've never heard the "toe the line" idiom said to anyone in a film or otherwise who wasn't a subordinate or non-influential person, which meant that they need to get in line, not pull it, since they would literally have no pull.

Also my tow truck comment was facetious.

Nimajneb

Towing or pulling the line implies some agency and active participation, while toeing or following it implies meek, possibly spineless, acquiescence

If there's one line and everyone's pulling it, there's no room for independent thought.

Can you tell me examples of where you've heard it said that gave you that impression? I've never heard the "toe the line" idiom said to anyone in a film or otherwise who wasn't a subordinate or non-influential person, which meant that they need to get in line, not pull it, since they would literally have no pull.

Also my tow truck comment was facetious.

Towing doesn't necessarily mean leading. They're doing the grunt work, pulling the party where the party wants to go.

I think I always hear the latter. Could that be right?

How could that be right? Think about it. If you could care less, then you do at least care a little. That's not quite the point of the phrase- it's to express how you do not care at all. If you could not care less, that means that it is not possible to care any less than you do, which is to say not at all.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
there is no god and we die alone

Iksenpets

Banned
Hm, how should I tell people we are currently safe? Ah, yes, by reminding them that ghosts are invisible and could be all around us ready to attack.

SomTervo

For all intensive purposes

To make end's meat

for-all-intents-and-purposes-for-all-intensive-purposes-for-20068616.png

If there's one line and everyone's pulling it, there's no room for independent thought.

So I can sort of see this interpretation, but the fact that towing in any other context requires a vehicle, still makes "tow the line" sound incredibly wrong to me

Also, usually, you don't tow a line, you use a towing line to tow something else, like a car

How could that be right? Think about it. If you could care less, then you do at least care a little. That's not quite the point of the phrase- it's to express how you do not care at all. If you could not care less, that means that it is not possible to care any less than you do, which is to say not at all.

I think this picture sums up what you're saying well:

qtTtcgw.png

My wife pronounced wheelbarrow as "wheel barrel" until a few years ago.

She never realized that she was wrong, and nobody in her family ever told her. They just never felt the need to correct her and allowed her to say it wrong for 25 years

meppi

My wife pronounced wheelbarrow as "wheel barrel" until a few years ago.

She never realized that she was wrong, and nobody in her family ever told her. They just never felt the need to correct her and allowed her to say it wrong for 25 years

Few people will get this, but I think you might be living in a parallel Atelier dimension and your wife sounds like she's an alchemist! :D

gv1scCu.jpg

akira28

angels fall like rain

and love love love is all of heaven away

in side you the time moves
and she don't fade....

the ghost in you she is clear

Top Bottom