• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is John Kricfalusi the most wretched person ever involved in animation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrene

Banned
A John K. hate thread?

Fuck you, GAF. How about a Walt Disney hate thread? After all, what has he done for animation LATELY? Mel Blanc: what a cunt. Pixar: did you see Cars?

"I faced off with him on his blog; he was a dick!" Oh, no shit? Watch me burn my R&S DVDs now, you fucking morons.

Gildor

Ren and Stimpy was rather different, but I don't think it was funny. I didn't like it when I was a kid, and after watching those youtube clips it was reaffirmed. This guy sucks.

bengraven

jooey said:

It was on his blog a couple years ago. He drew pictures of some famous people with comments below and Bill O'Reilly was one of them.

I enjoy his blog, even when if he obviously gets his opinions to the extreme in order to create controversy.

What he said.

AlexMogil

Night_Trekker said:
Add the recent My Gym Partner is a Monkey to that list. It uses the stock music, those gross-out close-ups and the impressionistic backgrounds.

And you could probably add Rocco's Modern Life and Camp Lazlo too, but I don't want to reduce those cartoons to carbon copy status. Joe Murray is awesome.

And don't forget the Spongebob. Lots of similarities in the Spongebob with John K.'s earlier works.

Edit: Reading am fundimentil.

Tim-E

terrene said:
A John K. hate thread?

Fuck you, GAF. How about a Walt Disney hate thread? After all, what has he done for animation LATELY? Mel Blanc: what a cunt. Pixar: did you see Cars?

"I faced off with him on his blog; he was a dick!" Oh, no shit? Watch me burn my R&S DVDs now, you fucking morons.

Walt Disney, Pixar, and Mel Blanc have all done awesome things. John K. has not. Ren and Stimpy sucks. The end.

RSLAEV

I love this. The worst thing about John K. are his rabid fans that deify him on his blog and hang on every word no matter how stupid or irrational. I think I was O.K. with his arrogance before he had his own internet cult, but now there's no reason for him to ever think he's wrong about *anything* And I don't think he'll ever recover until he's able to learn from his mistakes.

And obviously there's quite a few of you in this thread. How's the weather in crazytown?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Barrage said:
Cow and Chicken
2 Stupid Dogs
Catdog
Angry Beavers
Megababies

off the top of my head. There's more. Then there are the dozens of cartoons that stole little things from John K. instead of outright copying them (The Big Finger)

the only one on that list that seems inspired by john k's grossout bs is megababies. unless you care to elaborate a bit

7Th

Honestly speaking, I very much doubt half of what’s written by Kricfalusi is actually serious. The guy just tends to add extreme adjectives to every statement in order to create a more aggressive response. View it as taking the expressionistic narrative of Ren & Stimpy to actual writing. He’s the basic archetype of the “Internet Troll”.

Banned
Gantz said:
So what's positive coming out? Everything looks like outsourced to china crap.
Including a lot of his stuff.

Positives of today. Umm better technology, more revenue streams, less reliance on huge corporations,

animators of today have more power to create successful personal projects. look at Channel Frederator, Broken Saints, happy tree friends all the way up to Avatar.

Edit: You guys are giving John K far to much damn credit.

I'm going to take a guess and say that anyone in here defending John K has only seen the first few seasons of Ren & Stimpy and knows nothing else about the man.

I generally agree with a lot of his points but I also feel he's a little to extreme on many of his views.

Watching his current shows it seems like he just doesn't know how to handle a cartoon longer than 15 minutes so you get shows like The Ripping Friends which have all these awkward dead periods in them. I'm guessing he assumes the comical art and animation will carry those dead periods but your average person not into art won't care about that.

I didn't dislike Ren and Stimpy Adult Party Cartoon like most people did but I also didn't think it was that good either. They were great to look at but the comedy was generally weak and every good joke had about 3 bad(Like, really bad) jokes to go with it. The only episode I really liked was Fire Dogs 2 and that was mainly because Ralph Bakshi's hilarious(And sometimes frightening) dialogue carried it.

Nikashi

Banned
Why has no one brought up the total and absolute SHIT that was Ripping Friends. God that was seriously the worst cartoon I've seen in years.

ProfessorLobo said:
I'm going to take a guess and say that anyone in here defending John K has only seen the first few seasons of Ren & Stimpy and knows nothing else about the man.
Well what other shows has he done since?

Ren & Stimpy was groundbreaking and that's all I need to know to respect him as someone who has made his mark in the animation world. OK so he may be a complete asshole, many creative types are.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
terrene said:
A John K. hate thread?

ok but if those guys had blogs or just let their opinions loose on the public on a regular basis, I wouldn't entirely bet on them coming off as sound-minded gentlemen that everyone would love.

Parallax

Nikashi said:
Why has no one brought up the total and absolute SHIT that was Ripping Friends. God that was seriously the worst cartoon I've seen in years.

cuz there was no point in bringing it up. i doubt those that love or respect john k liked that shlock

WinFonda

Man oh man I hated Ren and Stimpy when I was younger. Still do actually. It was like my worst nightmares come to life in cartoon form on television. Why Nickelodeon was ever involved with that I do not know.

maus

Is this thread from 10 years ago?

Creator of Ren and Stimpy writes scathing review of Animaniacs; internet perturbed.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Tim-E said:
Walt Disney, Pixar, and Mel Blanc have all done awesome things. John K. has not. Ren and Stimpy sucks. The end.

Fucking seriously, yo. Comparing them to the likes of John K. wtf? As I've said, I've conceded that he did seem to influence a lot of shows, but most of the shows that took some of his gimmicks didn't rely on the toilet humor, and hence were far better than anything he's ever done in his life (from a quality perspective).

Parallax

Oblivion said:
Fucking seriously, yo. Comparing them to the likes of John K. wtf? As I've said, I've conceded that he did seem to influence a lot of shows, but most of the shows that took some of his gimmicks didn't rely on the toilet humor, and hence were far better than anything he's ever done in his life (from a quality perspective).

the real question is, what has he done besides a a season of ren and stimpy, and the ripping friends? i seriously dont understand how a man with such a small catalog could have influenced so much.

okno

The man has made some of the best animation out there and has a fantastic visionary style. His humor his crude and filthy, but it works on several different levels for people with various senses of humor. I've met people of all walks of life that love this show, and to be honest, this is the first time I've ever seen such backlash towards it.

J2 Cool

Oblivion said:

What? When was the last time you guys watched season 1 or 2 of Ren and Stimpy? It influenced shows that used the toilet humor far more as a crutch than R&S did in seasons 1 and 2. Go watch Stimpy's Invention, Space Madness, Big House Madness, Black Hole.

The quality was terrific. Which may have been his biggest problem in his first run. He couldn't finish his cartoons on time. That, and the known possibility of him pushing something too far and offending parents, lead to enough fear to overthrow him from the show.

R&S 2003 - absolutely agree it was awful. Spike TV didn't help though with their "Adult cartoon" line. They were pushing all these guys into that territory, and absolutely nothing good came out of there. Pushing John K into that territory is just stupid. The guy is best when you censor him, and he slips something by like a class clown at school. If you let him go, he has no clear direction.

Which doesn't take any credit away from him as a designer. He's talented, and should have kept a job the past 10-15 years. Instead, he hasn't helped himself one bit. Nobody wants to work with a guy like that. He should have at least known the risks though. You get 2-3 shots at doing something great again. If you don't make something out of those couple opportunities you're not going to be working. He did Ripping Friends and R&S 2003. You can't just erase those.

Flynn

Nikashi said:

Fox Kids/Saban helped fuck that up.

I enjoy a lot of John K.'s work. The original Ren & Stimpy, Ripping Friends, Ren Seeks Help, some music videos he's done. He knows his shit about animation, and has a fun, dynamic, fluid animation style. His style greatly influenced me as an artist, and try to follow a lot of his teachings about organic shapes and dynamic cartooning. Not because he says so, but because I agree with them.

That said, however, the man is an arrogant asshole. He takes his opinions to insane extremes. He hates anything modern, Japanese, or made by Disney. I mean, sure, Japan and Disney make a lot of garbage, but John doesn't give things like Lilo & Stitch, FLCL, Dead Leaves, Gurren Laggan, Akira, Pixar movies, and so on a fair shake, which is bullshit. There is lots of good modern/Japanese animation, and he snubs all of it.

Yet he praises the likes of old shitty Hanna-Barbera cartoons and 50s cereal ads. He contradicts himself all the time. Half the arguments he makes don't make any sense. When he does make a good point, he takes it too far. He lusts after the young, female artists he hires. He's just a douchebag.

If he just compromised A LITTLE and became even SLIGHTLY more open to modern trends, he could make awesome, successful cartoons. But I guess he enjoys not getting work.

But he certainly doesn't suck. Shame on anyone who said that. He's an asshole, but a TALENTED asshole. Well, when he's not making shitty Flash cartoons, that is.

thefro

Parallax said:
the real question is, what has he done besides a a season of ren and stimpy, and the ripping friends? i seriously dont understand how a man with such a small catalog could have influenced so much.

New Adventures of Mighty Mouse (w/ Ralph Bakishi)... which was a springboard for Bruce W. Timm and the people who did Tiny Toons and Animaniacs, among others. John K ran & supervised the production unit besides directing a lot of the episodes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpNNduExImk

Hey, kids! Do you see anything at all racist about this image?

coalblackdopey-746161-d3.jpg

John K. doesn't!

Askia47

Father_Brain said:

John K. doesn't!

Its not good, but its not that bad either, seems like a parody of early 1940s cartoons.

terrene

Banned
Tim-E said:
Probably the most well-argued post I've ever seen on the internet. Thank you.

terrene

Banned
Oblivion said:
Fucking seriously, yo. Comparing them to the likes of John K. wtf? As I've said, I've conceded that he did seem to influence a lot of shows, but
Wow, then guess what? John K. has every right to be compared to other influential names in animation. It really doesn't matter if you fucktards find him funny or good - he did something important and influenced an entire industry. R&S was a watershed moment in animation and nobody cares what you think. Kthx.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I think ren and stimpy was a lot better when they had to intelligently tip toe around nickalodian's censors. When it got to spike it was just vulgar and tasteless.

Father_Brain said:

John K. doesn't!

He considers it a product of its time, and he's way too absorbed in the technical quality of the cartoon to care about anything else (and, as offensive as it is, it is impressive).

He also enjoys pissing people off, so maybe that's part of it as well.

okno

Dead said:
The guy created the Ripping Friends for fucks sake.

he's a tasteless hack.

He was not the only one to create that show, and that is not enough to say his entire career makes him a "talentless hack."

YOU SUCK.

Dead

well not really...yet
okno said:
He was not the only one to create that show, and that is not enough to say his entire career makes him a "talentless hack."

YOU SUCK.
Everything else he has made since post-nickelodeon R&S is enough to call him that though.

Banned
Dead said:
Everything else he has made since post-nickelodeon R&S is enough to call him that though.
He's barely made anything. Now he is just a teacher and a critic. Maybe an overly harsh and obnoxious critic, but there is a role for that.

okno

Dead said:

It's hard to call someone with as much artistic talent as John K. a talentless hack. As vulgar and disgusting as his shows may be, his art style is brilliant and the man knows how to make a good piece of animation. He has talent, and he's not a hack.

Fine, then how about a "one-hit wonder" it is. It's kinda like the guy who wrote Boondock Saints. His personal attitude is what kept him from achieving further success.

I can't stand John K's animation or sense of humor. Its just too dumb and gross. His use of music was good though.
Animaniacs and freakazoid >>>>>>>> anything he has worked on.

Look at all the vile shit shows he has influenced.

Cow and Chicken
2 Stupid Dogs
Catdog
Angry Beavers
Megababies

Banned
GeneralIroh said:
I can't stand John K's animation or sense of humor. Its just too dumb and gross. His use of music was good though.
Animaniacs and freakazoid >>>>>>>> anything he has worked on.

Look at all the vile shit shows he has influenced.

Cow and Chicken
2 Stupid Dogs
Catdog
Angry Beavers
Megababies
You can't really drag someone down becuase they influenced something. Apply that standard to other animators and even Miyazaki would look like a hack.

Verboten said:
Fine, then how about a "one-hit wonder" it is. It's kinda like the guy who wrote Boondock Saints. His personal attitude is what kept him from achieving further success.
:lol

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
terrene said:
Wow, then guess what? John K. has every right to be compared to other influential names in animation. It really doesn't matter if you fucktards find him funny or good - he did something important and influenced an entire industry. R&S was a watershed moment in animation and nobody cares what you think. Kthx.

Doesn't make the fact that R&S was a watershed moment any less horrible. I consider R&S and the imitators that followed to be pretty much the death knell for TV animation in the US. John K. can bitch about the shit being churned out these days as much as he likes, but that's just glossing over the fact that it's mostly his fault in the first place.

Being influential doesn't make you any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom