• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is scalping and reselling inherently bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've bought my Tool tickets off scalpers more times than I can count. Did Tool try to stop it? yeah. Do I regret it? No. If I could get violent and if it would end scalping... would I? Yes.

Actually you are a bit off.
I don't usually scalp but let me tell you this, when 3DS was sold out this past holiday. I drove out in below 0 degree weather during a snow storm and bought them all where I could find in stores within 150 miles. Me and my brother slept in the car at night in the cold. Sure the people who bought our 3DS paid more than MSRP but they didn't have to go out in the cold to look for them and even if they looked, they might not find it. So we did provide them a good service.

Whatever makes you sleep better at night lol.

What about the people who also went out in 0 degree weather but couldn't get one because you bought them all up?

Bully for them I guess eh?

Derwind

Nothing really forces people to pay inflated prices for plastic shit. You're fucking dumb to pay like $300 or whatever for stuff like the NES classic or hatchimals, but people do. That's on them.

Just pass or wait for the demand to die down. Or go wait in line at 3 am too.

Well that's not always the case, like the Tragically Hip concert this past summer, all the tickets were bought seconds after they were posted online and they were reselling at exorbitant prices.

You can't always wait for the demand to die down when the scarcity was artificial in the first place.

Whatever makes you sleep better at night lol.

What about the people who also went out in 0 degree weather but couldn't get one because you bought them all up?

Bully for them I guess eh?

It's hard, and not a zero sum game.

A lot of items on the market people buy for themselves but are now parting base on prices they see online. When the NES classic first came out I saw a higher influx of new eBay users, and I guess from personal anecdote see people selling their personal console, and stated they were ok with buying later.

Scalpers are fucking leeches and scumbags. That being said, if you've got no other choice it's better than starving.

My answer to the last individual is what I would partially put to kind of get the ball rolling.

Now I want to kind of know your opinion on just retail arbitrage individuals. People who buy deals they find, and just sell online at MSRP and current market.

I understand it's as true as anything in capitalism. But this should be one of those signs that capitalism may not be inherently benevolent. I'd even go so far as to say capitalism is barbaric, without understanding or empathy

A fool and their money are easily parted.

If you are so desperate that you can't wait for supply to increase and prices to drop, or you're incapable of teaching your kids patience, then I've got little sympathy for those who buy from scalpers.

And if the supply is rare, scarce and limited by design?

Jonnax

They're scum.

I don't care about the people willing to pay a higher price or whatever.

But when you can't buy something because opportunistic arseholes have gotten in there to make a profit that is shit.

Like concert tickets. They sell out immediately because of bot users etc. And then on reselling sites the tickets are listed at inflated prices.

I think Ticketmaster own a reselling website called StubHub so they even profit off it.

It's also why for something like the switch I had to wake up early, refresh the page and get in early just to secure one.
I'm sure at least 40% of preorderers are scalpers.

riotous

Banned
I'm enjoying the discussion, and I'll agree on that front as well.

But let me play devil's advocate. So a really popular on the go oil brand is selling for a difference price online than in retail ( no idea why), and on Amazon itself it is sold out. A few people contacted me directly because they bought the item online from me before, and was willing to pay the price of what it was going online. Am I now helping those ten people, and also Amazon fulfillment center workers have more task to do? In effect having the same outcome you wanted.

I am still hurting those retail individuals though base on your example.

It's really sort of a wash isn't it? If it's a popular product it would have sold to someone. You are just changing who that person is; sure you are also contributing to amazons business but you are also raising the price of a product and inceasing the amount of things being shipped around.

Imagine if every single product was resold; meaning it was shipped to somewhere, someone bought it, then shipped it to a fulfillment center then it's shipped to a final consumer. We'd literally need 3 times as many trucks and planes to ship things around as we already do.

It's not an efficient or reallly healthy aspect of an economy.

And if the supply is rare and limited by design?

I think we have a perfect example in the sneaker market. The companies are usually aware, and embraces it on some level. A lot of consumers accept it in that market.

Consignment stores that sell at higher prices even have their own sneakers collaboration with Nike.

I don't know other markets as well, but that's my own personal experience.

I respect the hustle. If others are too impatient to wait and are willing to pay extra that's their fault. I'm too lazy to take advantage of it myself though.

My answer to the last individual is what I would partially put to kind of get the ball rolling.

Now I want to kind of know your opinion on just retail arbitrage individuals. People who buy deals they find, and just sell online at MSRP and current market.

It's slightly better because your not aggressively trying to fuck consumers but in the end what actual service have you provided? You're still a leech.

They're scum.

I don't care about the people willing to pay a higher price or whatever.

But when you can't buy something because opportunistic arseholes have gotten in there to make a profit that is shit.

Like concert tickets. They sell out immediately because of bot users etc. And then on reselling sites the tickets are listed at inflated prices.

I think Ticketmaster own a reselling website called StubHub so they even profit off it.

It's also why for something like the switch I had to wake up early, refresh the page and get in early just to secure one.
I'm sure at least 40% of preorderers are scalpers.

I think another poster put it really well in that ticket scalping is different in that it's a one time never again item, and are different than mass produce product like a game console.

They have full virtual manipulation of a product value, vs a game console that will be made in abundance down the line.

It's slightly better because your not aggressively trying to fuck consumers but in the end what actual service have you provided? You're still a leech.

Won't deny that, but when people are basically none the wiser. I don't even think it's a big deal. Often I'm even able to pass along discounts. Could they do it themselves, if they put in the due diligence? Sure. Do they? Rarely.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Scalping tickets is the lowest of the low. It should be banned with id matching the ticket required at every concert. Reselling allowed in a controlled manner for face price.

I think we have a perfect example in the sneaker market. The companies are usually aware, and embraces it on some level. A lot of consumers accept it in that market.

Consignment stores that sell at higher prices even have their own sneakers collaboration with Nike.

I don't know other markets as well, but that's my own personal experience.

Yeah but that doesn't hold up much when the creator wants their product to reach X market. But X market is never reached because of scalpers. Let's say X market includes kids and their grandmas. Now the market is overtaken by people with money and scalpers. The creator gives to a market it doesn't even want. There is a huge flaw

Scalping tickets is the lowest of the low. It should be banned with id matching the ticket required at every concert. Reselling allowed in a controlled manner for face price.

Amen

you're basically creating inefficiency in the market. perhaps that is offset by your personal financial gain

overall, you are exerting energy for no net value. this increases the entropy of the system. since there is a finite amount of entropy in the universe, your actions are inherently bad for humanity's long-term prospects

don't take this post too seriously

In my earlier post I gave a real life example of people wanting to buy the item online, from likely a more remote location and are asking to pay the price I was listing for. Am I now not providing a service?

Jobbs

Banned
Inherently bad? No.

Depending on specifics I might say it's rude/unsavory behavior, but this "scum of the earth" stuff is beyond the pale. People are buying and reselling things and if you hate the idea of it then don't buy it from them. No one is being forced to.

No one is going to die if they don't go to a concert or get the latest amiibo. If scalpers were scalping food or medicine that people needed to live then I'd say they're evil and scum of the earth... But toys and shit? No. Get over it.

Yeah but that doesn't hold up much when the creator wants their product to reach X market. But X market is never reached because of scalpers. Let's say X market includes kids and their grandmas. Now the market is overtaken by people with money and scalpers. The creator gives to a market it doesn't even want. There is a huge flaw

They do want it to reach X market through brand awareness, because the majority of their profits are designed around the more mass product item. They just want their name out there. If they wanted to stop it they can today through 100% raffles, and stop having collaborations with resell stores.

Caayn

I see a scalpers as a parasite. (S)he doesn't contribute anything to the product. I refuse to buy anything from a scalper.

Kill3r7

I wouldn't go as far as saying they're all pieces of shit, I'll never fault a person who does that to put food on the table and roof over their heads. But from an economic perspective, yeah, scalping is an unproductive activity, scalpers provide no service outside higher ticket price. They are parasites (again, in economic terms) who syphon money away from productive people, money that could've been spent on better things.

By that logic neither do investors/shareholders. After the initial offering they are buying shares either from an individual who purchased the shares during the initial offering or large institutions who held on to shares in hopes of selling them at a higher price down the road. Let's not forget the traders and investment banks who facilitate these transactions and get paid for their services.

Addi

I think it's ok. If there's a rare item, I sort of pay you to get it for me. I don't have to stress as much and it gives me a bigger chance of getting said item.

By that logic neither do investors/shareholders. After the initial offering they are buying shares either from an individual who purchased the shares during the initial offering or large institutions who held on to shares in hopes of selling them at a higher price down the road. Let's not forget the traders and banks who facilitate these transactions and get paid for their services.

Hmm never thought of this. Interesting take on the conversation for sure. I never equated consumer goods to the financial market.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Scalpers are pieces of shit. You're not providing a service, you're not fulfilling a niche. You are literally just fucking taking advantage of people.

Welcome to literally any business ever.

What, you think hardware vendors add a heft markup to their prices just for kicks? No, they are into making money by charging you whatever you are willing to pay. If a random ass guy on craigslist does the same thing it's somehow wrong? No.

If people are willing to pay a markup for the convenience of owning shit on day one because they missed the boat, then the value is there for that particular customer. Blame the manufacturer or your own dumb ass for fishing behind the net.

Better still, give up on that ridiculous 'got to have stuff on day one, yet I didn't put my order in' mentality.

It's really sort of a wash isn't it? If it's a popular product it would have sold to someone. You are just changing who that person is; sure you are also contributing to amazons business but you are also raising the price of a product and inceasing the amount of things being shipped around.

Imagine if every single product was resold; meaning it was shipped to somewhere, someone bought it, then shipped it to a fulfillment center then it's shipped to a final consumer. We'd literally need 3 times as many trucks and planes to ship things around as we already do.

It's not an efficient or reallly healthy aspect of an economy.

What if larger corporations in essence already do this with some of their products? There's a lot of "marketing" companies essentially that buy non proprietary products from a distributor who got it from an earlier original source, and the item in the final form is just the product repackaged in a recognizable brand name.

Isn't that the same thing?

On a side note:

God I miss discussions on here. Twitter makes my brain hurt.

Rektash

They are certainly operating on the morally questionable side of capitalism. I mean, they artificially increase the scarcity of products to make the situation of the market worse for the consumer.

They are the only ones who gain anything form the process while the consumer only looses.

It's a part of capitalism but certainly not a part consumers profit from, hence morally questionable.

The_Kid

Haha as a student with very little income scalping items basically lets me do... well anything? My job only lets me work two days a week because of school, which leaves me just enough money for food, the occasional movie, and my ocd products (I spend half my paycheck on cleaning supplies because of a debilitating mental illness).

But because I'm online so often doing schoolwork or in class, I can snag things like an NES and resell it, making like 40 bucks or so, and have a little breathing room a couple times a month.

People can think I'm scum, or I don't provide a service, or whatever they want really. I'd rather have enough money to not be desperate instead of random internetgoers approval. Frankly people are a little too salty for their own good with scalpers.

Chichikov

By that logic neither do investors/shareholders. After the initial offering they are buying shares either from an individual who purchased the shares during the initial offering or large institutions who held on to shares in hopes of selling them at a higher price down the road. Let's not forget the traders and investment banks who facilitate these transactions and get paid for their services.
I agree that day traders are mostly parasites and I think they syphon much more money from productive people than scalpers and as a whole are a much bigger problem, but that's a different discussion.
Let's stay with scalpers, how do you think they contribute to the economy?
The only way I can think of is that they generally make money out people who are richer than them and as such creates a downward wealth transfer that while small, as a whole it could be economically positive. But that's about it.

numble

Your analogy does not work. The initial shareholder was not getting paid for the service of funding the IPO. They fund the IPO because they think they can sell it down the road. They are losing money when they invest. There is no funding of the IPO without the post-IPO share market.

Investors also can buy a majority of shares to take control of a company, and this happens all the time as well.

The shareholders also have certain rights, they can vote out a board that they think is doing a bad job. The value that the shareholders and the market place on the share price also has an influence on internal management, as management is rewarded and punished with reference to the share price.

n64coder

I guess I'll just get this out of the way. I resell full time as a job around 2 months ago, and am on track to making the same if not more than my job, but with a lot more free time and flexibility. I was making a pretty comfortable living as well.

As some others have said, if you're able to find retail items for significantly less than online and are able to take advantage of it, then more power to you. Personally, I dislike scalpers who buy items of limited quantity and resell for a higher markup. Stuff like event tickets, NES classic, Majora Mask 3DS XL, etc.

I've been offloading my game collection on Ebay and been having fun doing so. Stuff that I bought at GameStop for $1 on clearance go for crazy amounts on Ebay. I also read the Ebay forums and it seems that there are a lot of people who try to do retail arbitrage but many are not successful at it because they sell junk or ugly clothes for high markup.

@OP, so you're a seller on Amazon? How does that work? You send them a big box of stuff that you want to sell and they send it out for you? What's their cut? What kind of return rate do you have? Do you also sell on Ebay?

BTW, did the NES classic scalping craze die down yet?

Your analogy does not work. The initial shareholder was not getting paid for the service of funding the IPO. They fund the IPO because they think they can sell it down the road. They are losing money when they invest. There is no funding of the IPO without the post-IPO share market.

Investors also can buy a majority of shares to take control of a company, and this happens all the time as well.

The shareholders also have certain rights, they can vote out a board that they think is doing a bad job. The value that the shareholders and the market place on the share price also has an influence on internal management, as management is rewarded and punished with reference to the share price.

Sounds exactly like reselling?

The only difference from your description is in reselling and retail arbitrage there's no bureaucracy on reselling, and almost a true form of the free market.

I agree that day traders are mostly parasites and I think they syphon much more money from productive people than scalpers and as a whole are a much bigger problem, but that's a different discussion.
The only way I can think of is that they generally make money out people who are richer than them and as such creates a downward wealth transfer that while small, as a whole it could be economically positive. But that's about it.

Agreed. Not a personal fan of capitalism myself, but I am exploiting a flaw for financial gain to pay the bills :p

I did reselling for a summer years ago. Was fun going to thrift shops and flipping $5 things for good profit. Seems like lots of people do it too.

Nothing really forces people to pay inflated prices for plastic shit. You're fucking dumb to pay like $300 or whatever for stuff like the NES classic or hatchimals, but people do. That's on them.

Just pass or wait for the demand to die down. Or go wait in line at 3 am too.

I agree. When it's an item that will be restocked, why not just have patience and wait?

I couldn't believe it when people were paying upwards of $300 for the NES mini.

Either they are fucking stupid or they have the money, in which case, they don't care because they have the money, so it's a beneficial service to them.

Scalping tickets is pretty lame and I'm still surprised that so many ticket sites allow for big number of ticket purchases at once.

Seesaw15

Just don't get burned OP.
CEWKlMN.jpg

Kill3r7

Aside from shareholder rights I am not seeing the difference. A scalper pays out money to buy a ticket or product today in hopes of selling it for more down the road. The average small investor spends money buying shares in hopes of selling it at a later time for a higher price.

I don't think they contribute to the economy at large per se, outside of the money they generate for places like eBay, Amazon etc. I was just pointing out that they are simply taking advantage of markets. Flipping is how I made beer money in college and law school. PlanetMoney on NPR dedicated an entire episode to folks who do this for a living.

numble

Sounds exactly like reselling?

The only difference from your description is in reselling and retail arbitrage there's no bureaucracy on reselling, and almost a true form of the free market.

No, that's not how it works. Reselling is the resale of a consumer good that is intended to go to an end user. The purpose of shares are that they can be resold and give you ownership rights to a company. Instead of thinking about it in terms of each stock price, you can think about it as selling a company (or percentages of a company). An investment product is meant to be resold continuously.

I don't know why you are talking about a "true form of the free market" if you are reselling for MSRP, or if you are using eBay. The stock market is more close to a true form of free market as the prices for the same stock are dictated by the market.

Randam

If you buy things you don't need and don't even have any interest in, just to sell them at a high price, you are a fucking asshole..

purdobol

It's unethical and contradicts golden rule, which any decent human being should live by.
I'm talking about buying new stuff at launch in bulk just to resell the thing for higher price.
Hunting for sales or rare items in order to resell to collectors is ok in my book.

numble

Aside from shareholder rights I am not seeing the difference. A scalper pays out money to buy a ticket or product today in hopes of selling it for more down the road. The average small investor spends money buying shares in hopes of selling it at a later time for a higher price.

Especially in the context of this discussion of buying retail items, the reseller can just return the product within 30 days if they can't sell it for a higher price. You can't do that with shares.

Investors trade in investments and their associated risks. The next buyer and the next buyer after that is buying the investment with an intention to invest as well (as well as be subject to the risk and reward of shareholder rights, such as dividends or a decrease in stock price). The IPO depends on the ability of investors to trade their investments--nobody would invest in SnapChat if they were not allowed to resell their shares.

Consumer products and entertainment tickets do not depend on the ability of scalpers or resellers to resell their products. The PS4 or a Kanye concert could still be a success if consumers were not allowed to resell the PS4 or the concert ticket. And we have proof because we know people can't resell their digitally downloaded games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom