• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is scalping and reselling inherently bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kill3r7

No, that's not how it works. Reselling is the resale of a consumer good that is intended to go to an end user. The purpose of shares are that they can be resold and give you ownership rights to a company. Instead of thinking about it in terms of each stock price, you can think about it as selling a company (or percentages of a company). An investment product is meant to be resold continuously.

I don't know why you are talking about a "true form of the free market" if you are reselling for MSRP, or if you are using eBay. The stock market is more close to a true form of free market as the prices for the same stock are dictated by the market.

Okay, for accuracy's sake would the analogy work better if we replaced shares with let's say RMBS tranches or Forex market or other securities which are strict investment instruments.

Chichikov

I don't think they contribute to the economy at large per se, outside of the money they generate for places like eBay, Amazon etc. I was just pointing out that they are simply taking advantage of markets. Flipping is how I made beer money in college and law school. PlanetMoney on NPR dedicated an entire episode to folks who do this for a living.
Yeah, I heard it, good episode, and while I think you can kinda, sort of make an argument that some of the people they talk to provide some service (mainly convenience) I think as a whole, scalpers are a net negative contribution to the economy. It's not the end of the world, but things as a whole would be a little bit better if they went away.

Triteon

Sometimes I can't camp a computer when things go on sale so sometimes I have used a scalper to go to events, and I'll do it in the future.

It would by hypocritical of me to them throw them under the bus.

For example I am planning on trying for Pax west tickets this year, but I live in Australia, planning for a trip to pax is pretty much a multi $1000/may as well do USA/massive amounts of time off event. Ill also have to plan for the trip before tickets go on sale to get friends/GF on board for a trip. If I miss the 10 minute window to buy tickets you can bet your ass I'm going to find tickets any way I can.

I've also bought limited editions (New Vegas, transformers merch etc) for more than retail, that's just the nature of collecting.

numble

Okay, for accuracy's sake would the analogy work better if we replaced shares with let's say RMBS tranches or other securities which are strict investment instruments.

No, look at my post after that.

With RMBS tranches or similar securities, the same logic works--banks would give you very much worse loan terms if they knew they could not resell or securitize the loan. The investment instrument also have real investment risks, you can't just return it in 30 days if you can't resell it.

it's not stealing, but I just dislike it because it's essentially a means to profit by doing nothing other than making things less convenient for other people. If you have to do it to get by, w/e, but I think it's a bad thing to do.

Keep in mind, this is only targeted towards people who purposefully buy up stock of an item just so they can force the price up. People who buy a good, use it, and then later down the line just sell it for a higher price because of rarity or w/e, I don't mind.

Kill3r7

No, look at my post after that.

With RMBS tranches or similar securities, the same logic works--banks would give you very much worse loan terms if they knew they could not resell or securitize the loan. The investment instrument also have real investment risks, you can't just return it in 30 days if you can't resell it.

I agree with what you are saying but I think we are talking past each other because arbitrage is very much a real thing and that is how this discussion started.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
A fool and their money are easily parted.

If you are so desperate that you can't wait for supply to increase and prices to drop, or you're incapable of teaching your kids patience, then I've got little sympathy for those who buy from scalpers.
Easy to say in abstract but let's use a specific.

I live in Detroit where no Broadway shows ever come for more than a couple of weeks. I wanted to take my mom to a run of either Lion King or Phantom as a Christmas gift. Went to buy tickets and the ordinary $59 tickets in the balcony were all purchased by scalpers and resold on third party sites for almost double their real price ($150).

Now me being a guy on a modest budget just had a gift idea go from $120 to $300. All because a couple shitbags got their early access code and bought a TON of tickets just to immediately jack the price up on the secondary market.

So yeah. I think scalpers are scum.

Randam

If its some game system or something that they can buy a month later, who cares.
But they shouldn't have to wait to be able to buy it.
And sometimes it can take several months before items is available again because they get bought by scalpers again and again.

Well I have more of a problem with people who buy from them since ultimately it's their fault.

But as long as scalpers stay in luxury goods market and they don't resell medicines or other life saving stuff I don't really care about the practice since I'll never buy from them as I have "deal hunter" mentality.

Derwind

Inherently bad? No.

Depending on specifics I might say it's rude/unsavory behavior, but this "scum of the earth" stuff is beyond the pale. People are buying and reselling things and if you hate the idea of it then don't buy it from them. No one is being forced to.

No one is going to die if they don't go to a concert or get the latest amiibo. If scalpers were scalping food or medicine that people needed to live then I'd say they're evil and scum of the earth... But toys and shit? No. Get over it.

Jesus, you're still exploiting people.
Even if you find that there are degrees of exploitation which are acceptable to you, I won't just "get over it" because you say so.

What a fucked up thing to even say.

Well I have more of a problem with people who buy from them since ultimately it's their fault.

But as long as scalpers stay in luxury goods market and they don't resell medicines or other life saving stuff I don't really care about the practice.

This is also where I stand. But when you need additional income and your employer wont give a raise while rent and gas prices are climbing that money needs to come from somewhere.

Gutek

No, I buy stuff online at other local listing apps like OfferUp and resell on eBay.

My mother buys stuff on eBay/Marshalls/Target/WalMart and resell on Amazon.

We deal in completely different markets, but essentially the same profession.

What do you mean, "profession"? Is your business registered and do you pay taxes?

Finding a bargain and reselling it is fine

But actual buying full priced popular products to then profiteer off is complete cuntish behaviour and people doing it deserve punching

Here's a fun concert ticket example:

I bought a ticket to go see ROH in New York. Show sold out almost immediately. I put it on Stubhub with the whole matching price market gimmick. 20$ ticket turned into 100$ ticket, sold immediately. ROH opened up more seats that next week.

Is that on me? nah fam

Here's a fun concert ticket example:

I bought a ticket to go see ROH in New York. Show sold out almost immediately. I put it on Stubhub with the whole matching price market gimmick. 20$ ticket turned into 100$ ticket, sold immediately. ROH opened up more seats that next week.

Is that on me? nah fam

How is that not on you? People bought your ticket logically assuming there were no other seats available.

I'm only against it when it comes to concert tickets and so on, basically stuff that you can't just it to be re-stocked.

This is the reason I haven't gone to see Metallica yet, because you have to plan and make sure you're available the second the tickets become available. It just puts me off on the whole thing to begin with.

Yeah, so you were scalping tickets to a sold out concert, we're in agreement.

Or, alternatively, I bought one ticket, couldn't go, and sold mine. Which is what actually happened.

See the issue? I didn't even apply the price on it, Stubhub did. I did the same thing when I bought Bon Iver tickets and couldn't go, and those ended up going for a little bit above face.

The market decides.

It's still on the person who wishes to pay the price.

You are willing to pay $100 for a usually free code to a beta because they've run out? Done.

Donos

I don't mind it for stuff like consoles because some people just can't wait one month before the retailers get restocked.

But tickets like Adele concert? Only people who can afford 500% extra of the real ticket price can buy one of the scalpers ... Nice

Didn't manage to get one for me and my gf for her Berlin concert although i was on point with 7 tabs open. Had the possibility to buy only one and a few seconds later everything crashed. Minutes later the ebay.de listings started popping up with 500€+ prices...
Fuck stuff like that.

Jokab

Scalping of day 1 items that will be available later anyway is fine. Scalping of things like concert tickets is an asshole move.

PsionBolt

It's not nice. There are a lot of things in this world that are significantly less nice, but still, it's not nice.

I'm not going to tell someone that they shouldn't make money by being unkind. If I was, I would be very busy for a very long time.

...But yeah, just so you know. You're not being nice.

purdobol

It's still on the person who wishes to pay the price.

You are willing to pay $100 for a usually free code to a beta because they've run out? Done.

Beta codes are scarce commodity. They suppose to be rare, limited in quantity by their nature. So if a entusiast/collector is willing to buy it and you happen to get one by sheer luck and don't intend to use it. It a ok. Both of you are happy.

It's quite a different story when you purposefully buy large quantities without intent to even use it, to create artificial shortages and make a buck.

Yes, scalpers are assholes. All they do is come in and add unnecessary complication to to people trying to buy things. Like people don't have enough shit to deal without that added on top of it.

prag16

Banned
Your mom is providing a worthwhile service because she's offering items that Amazon users may not be able to easily access (at least not as conveniently). My sister in law used to do this with thrift shop type items along with Marshall's, TJ Maxx, etc. This isn't scalping; things generally aren't going for over MSRP unless it's a much older hard to find item.

Scalping on the other hand provides no service to anybody. It makes items HARDER for consumers to find unless they pay typically way over MSRP.

It just distorts the market to nobody's benefit except for the scalper. Not sure how to reasonably curtail this, but scalping is a dickheaded practice.

Sanjuro

The terms scalping and reselling both kind of blend together. Problem is in many instances you can purchase tickets under face value. Around my area it's pretty normal and not always a negative experience.

I do it fairly often when I have extra passes or tickets.

Cepheus

It's an evil practice and I really don't agree with it. It's not fair on other people if they've been waiting to go to a concert, or buy a limited edition games console or something, only to find that all the items get sold out in seconds, bought by people who don't even want to play on the console/go to the concert themselves and literally just want to make money at other people's expense. If you find yourself not being able to go through with cancelling a preorder for a soon-to-be-commonplace console, then fine, sell it. If it's an item that potentially will never be available again, then I have no respect for that.

When I was thirteen some kids were selling a bunch of old video game stuff (games, toys etc) at a car boot sale. I didn't have any money on me so I went to ask my dad for some, and by the time I came back there was this huge, sweaty twenty-something man towering over the stall and bought literally everything they had in one go. I cried in the car. That was my first experience with scalping.

prag16

Banned
Jesus, you're still exploiting people.
Even if you find that there are degrees of exploitation which are acceptable to you, I won't just "get over it" because you say so.

What a fucked up thing to even say.
Yeah, I liken this attitude to the old thing where a guy walks into a bar. And asks a girl to have sex with him for $10,000,000. She says "okay". Then the guy says "how about $10" . She scoffs, "what type of girl do you think I am". The guy answers, "we already established what type of girl you are.. Now we're just haggling over price."

Granted it's not a PERFECT analogy, but it can still fit.

If you think scalping video game consoles at launch is perfectly fine, we've already established your view on exploiting people. Now we're just arguing degrees of exploitation.

You can't really make it illegal or anything. But it may be smart for platform holders to try to find ways to curtail it, as this practice definitely hurts them too, along with end users. When somebody has to pay $500 instead of $300 for the hardware, that's $200 less they have to spend on games, services, and accessories.

It's really hard to defend scalping. You're making money, and some rich asshole gets his toy earlier. But the people that tried to do things the right way get screwed.

Scalping tickets is the worst though. It's not a case of waiting until demand slows down or more toys are manufactured. The average person can't ever see that show, rich people can, and the scalpers make money while contributing nothing to society.

Sanjuro

It's really hard to defend scalping. You're making money, and some rich asshole gets his toy earlier. But the people that tried to do things the right way get screwed.

Scalping tickets is the worst though. It's not a case of waiting until demand slows down or more toys are manufactured. The average person can't ever see that show, rich people can, and the scalpers make money while contributing nothing to society.

Only rich people can go to baseball games. They still wear formal outfits and top hats. I've seen it!

Novocaine

Only rich people can go to baseball games. They still wear formal outfits and top hats. I've seen it!

Tickets to see Seinfeld in Melbourne have jumped from $250 vendor price to $400+. Luckily I got mine from the vendor or I wouldn't have been able to afford it, $500 for 2 tickets is crazy enough let alone $800 or more.

Buying consoles/electronics from scalpers at release in the UK is crazy. Nearly all retailers offer 12 month guarantees on electrical items and some offer up to 3 years for an extra fee. With a scalper you're paying a lot more and get no guarantee whatsoever.

As for tickets to live events, it's scummy.

zeemumu

In a way, yeah. There are some items that are now lost to me forever because scalpers bought them all and reposted them at over 10x their original price and the company making them has yet to ship more, and probably won't because it's been years.

That's not about not getting the thing early without paying a high price. That's about not getting the thing AT ALL. Patience isn't worth shit at that point. The people in here defending scalping seem to assume that it's always gonna be a patience thing.

Apath

Just don't get burned OP.
CEWKlMN.jpg
There is very little chance those cannot be returned.
But they shouldn't have to wait to be able to buy it.
And sometimes it can take several months before items is available again because they get bought by scalpers again and again.
Then they should have secured the rights to one via pre-order or waiting in line like the scalper did originally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom