• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sony making a mistake by betting the farm on 'true' gamers?

Coolwhip

Banned
I think they are making a mistake yes. The 'true' gamers will be on board anyway. They want to play games on their 50" tv. The challenge lies in getting more than just that declining target audience interested in your platform.

Dennis

Banned
No, just the opposite.

This may win the gen for them.

Nintendo stumbled and I find the notion that the Wii crowd are going to get massively behind Kinect 2 NextBox highly dubious.

Opiate

A few questions for you:
1. Is the PS4 a worthwhile endeavor for Sony if it is profitable but low-margin?
2. Does what Sony is doing with the PS4 preclude other parts of the company from engaging in mobile/F2P/Facebook-style gaming?

1) Probably not, in my opinion. Just as I don't feel the Xbox 360 was a good investment for Microsoft either, despite the fact that it was eventually profitable. And I'm certainly not alone in that; many analysts have suggested the same thing. What defines a successful venture depends on significantly on the company, the context, and the opportunity cost.

2) No, so hopefully those other departments prove more adventurous and less safe. I'm not saying the risk has to be taken in the gaming department; but it has to be taken somewhere.

Hindle

Banned
Having a console appeal to every gamer from the start is what they should be doing as well. The competition no doubt will, MS will have next gen Dance Central or a new Kinect IP to go alongside Black Tusks new game next year.

spwolf

How about facebook gamers? Or PC F2P gamers? Because I think those are almost certainly out of reach with the PS4 as it is currently configured, too. Again, you can't expect to win customers you treat as second class citizens when other platforms are putting them first.

didnt facebook game market cave in completely?

I am not sure why do you think that by focusing on gamers first, they make it worse for casuals? What exactly sucks for casuals on PS4?

Only worse thing for casuals will be the price... otherwise please do point what is the negative of PS4 compared to lets say Wii U? All the social integration?

Everything they did also helps casual gaming... except for the price.

I don't think they're going to win customers in those demographics, so no contestation here. The home console paradigm is not well suited to these players. I don't know what Sony means when they talk about streaming and "expanding content to other devices," but I have to imagine it won't be particularly meaningful.

A few questions for you:
1. Is the PS4 a worthwhile endeavor for Sony if it is profitable but low-margin?
2. Does what Sony is doing with the PS4 preclude other parts of the company from engaging in mobile/F2P/Facebook-style gaming?

Kev,

pure speculation on my part, but I interpreted "expanding content to other devices" to mean that Sony is looking eventually to make playstation a service, not strictly a console. Think of making playstation an "app" that can stream PS1, Ps2, Ps3, or Ps4 content on demand to any platform in a netflix-like model. PS4 games would likely come at a premium, but 1, 2, and 3 games have basically run their course already. Is 10 bucks a month a reasonable cost to play any of say...500 Ps2 games, as much as you want? maybe.

suddenly playstation becomes relevant to people who don't buy consoles, but like the occasional time waster on their laptop, tablet, etc. You don't need to build an emulator that works on a bazillion android devices either- everything is platform agnostic.

I don't see the PS4 precluding the other parts of the company from working on mobile gaming, the PS4 *is* sony's long term mobile gaming plan.

FordGTGuy

Banned
you have no idea sony would really have to fail in order to actually be in bad shape

they might not make as much as they used to but they can still keep going for a while with the amount they make a year

You're kidding right?

With the amount of money they are currently investing into the PS4 if it were to fail the company would never be the same. They aren't like Microsoft they don't have billions just to throw at a RROD problem and make it go away.

ibun

i would stop talking about betting farms and niche players. its since the beginning of time, that new technology is bought by early adopters which mostly are also gamers (real gamers, not doodle jump enthusiasts). the real fight begins after year one, when the first price drops are and the game library gets its boost. at this crucial moment the PS4 needs to have a good reputation and more then just a big game library. by this time you need a big variety of games not just numbers. the early adopters are the ones running the opinion machine. results are to be seen at the end of year two. only then you can see if you did enough to crater the interessts. i think thats what also happend to the PS3/PS2.

Opiate

Facebook games and F2P games are popular because they are free and playable on computers people already have. How exactly does Sony try to get those people and make it a worthwhile sustainable model? With that group asking them to buy another $500 device has already lost them.

I don't know, but just for starters I wouldn't make a 500 dollar system.

This is really the key point here: analysts are saying Sony needs to do something surprising and unexpected because doing the safe, traditional thing is slowly bleeding them dry. I don't know precisely how Sony would capture the Facebook/casual market; that's the nature of surprising, unexpected things. If I knew how to do it, I would be a billionaire.

It reminds me a bit of Nintendo with the 3DS -- they couldn't figure out how to tap in to people like they did with the DS, so they made what is effectively a super DS because it was relatively safe and predictable. It won't sell nearly as well as the DS, but at least it won't fall completely flat on its face as it could have if Nintendo went out in to left field again and failed.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
1) Probably not, in my opinion. Just as I don't feel the Xbox 360 was a good investment for Microsoft either, despite the fact that it was eventually profitable. And I'm certainly not alone in that; many analysts have suggested the same thing. What defines a successful venture depends on significantly on the company, the context, and the opportunity cost.

2) No, so hopefully those other departments prove more adventurous and less safe. I'm not saying the risk has to be taken in the gaming department; but it has to be taken somewhere.

Do you have any opinion on what the PS4 should have looked like if you could design it from scratch?

I think opportunity cost is an interesting question. Sony has invested massively into the kind of development you identify (I think properly based on this generation) as low margin. It would really require a massive restructuring. Not that Sony shouldn't be considering that. Kind of reminds me of what the big players on console did this generation to weed out competition in "their space" by bleeding like crazy.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If PS4 were to fall flat I don't think Sony would be able to recover, just to clarify I think Playstation will be fine personally.

PS4 doesn't need iPhone gamers in order to avoid falling flat.

The 'traditional' market may not be growing but it is still large enough to deserve focus and attention and a focussed product. It is still Sony's base. There is nothing wrong with Sony addressing that base and giving it dedicated attention. And I think Tretton is right to rebuff criticism aimed in that direction. It was by-and-large Playstation's traditional audience tuning in on Wednesday, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with Sony speaking to them.

There is also a growing broader market that, indeed, is unlikely to be interested in spending 400 on a games box. Unlikely to be interested in PS4's approach. And that's fine too.

And that's why Sony is investing as much in a new platform to target those gamers as they likely have to date in PS4.

It is Tretton's fault if he let's journalists get away from an interview unaware of the latter, but it's not his fault if they ignored that part of their presentation on Wednesday.

Mikey Jr.

So these core gamers that are shrinking, where are they going? To iphones? And kids that are growing up are completely skipping consoles?

spwolf

You're kidding right?

With the amount of money they are currently investing into the PS4 if it were to fail the company would never be the same. They aren't like Microsoft they don't have billions just to throw at a RROD problem and make it go away.

Sony has been top 10 R&D tech companies in the world for the past decade. That did not stop or start with PS4. If anything, they already said due to architecture they chose, they invested far less since they did not have to build their own fabs for it.

Just because they aimed their debut showing at 'true' gamers, that doesn't mean the platform is. It's just as media/social/casual-focused as MS' next system. Both are going to aim at the entire spectrum.

mclem

I think there'll always be a profitable audience for it, but they could lock themselves out of the possibilty of being a mega-success by focussing on us

I'm going to sound like a stuck record here, since I'm banging on about this all over the place, but: How profitable it is isn't just dependent on the size of the audience, it's also dependent on the amount spent on development. PS4's best chance strikes me as - slightly ironically - mimicking the 3DS in Japan: Presenting itself as the logical direct upgrade path for users of both current-gen HD consoles, and being a stable development platform by tapping into both userbases.

Trouble is, I'm sure that sort of strategy is on Microsoft's mind as well, and if they get a similar split to this gen, I'm not sure it'll work out too well for *either* of them.

spwolf

PS4 doesn't need iPhone gamers in order to avoid falling flat.

The 'traditional' market may not be growing but it is still large enough to deserve focus and attention and a focussed product. It is still Sony's base. There is nothing wrong with Sony addressing that base and giving it dedicated attention. And I think Tretton is right to rebuff criticism aimed in that direction. It was by-and-large Playstation's traditional audience tuning in on Wednesday, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with Sony speaking to them.

There is also a growing broader market that, indeed, is unlikely to be interested in spending 400 on a games box. Unlikely to be interested in PS4's approach. And that's fine too. And that's why Sony is investing as much in a new platform to target those gamers as they likely have to date in PS4.

It is Tretton's fault if he let's journalists get away from an interview unaware of the latter, but it's not his fault if they ignored that part of their presentation on Wednesday.

I would not be surprised that within 1 year, Sony's investment in Gaikai far outpaces what they invested in PS4 hardware so far.

And Gaikai is game changer.

Opiate

Do you have any opinion on what the PS4 should have looked like if you could design it from scratch?

Cheaper. That's all I can say, really. Otherwise what I'm asking Sony to do is to think of something unexpected, that comes out of left field and really grows their market. By definition, I don't know what the unexpected thing is, but I'm reasonably confident the PS4 isn't it.

I think opportunity cost is an interesting question. Sony has invested massively into the kind of development you identify (I think properly based on this generation) as low margin. It would really require a massive restructuring. Not that Sony shouldn't be considering that. Kind of reminds me of what the big players on console did this generation to weed out competition in "their space" by bleeding like crazy.

It definitely would require a massive restructuring, and if Sony were a healthy company I wouldn't recommend it. But they aren't.

Again, not saying this massive overhaul necessarily needs to take place in gaming; but it has to be somewhere and I'm not seeing it in their TV or electronic markets. Maybe their portable market will really take a risk and hit a home run? Maybe. It's possible. But I'm not counting on it.

Kariodude

Banned
After watching Wednesday's announcement, the title of this thread surprised me. What they showed seemed pretty, but mostly seemed to be focused on a social mess. Every single social feature they talked about made me care less about the console. The problem is that when you take away the social features, all that's left are the pretty graphics that I can already get on my PC. I fit their definition of "true gamer" but I'm not interested at all at this point.

Somnid

They aren't going to win anything going after the cheap and casual market. Nintendo can get away with it because people still buy their systems for Nintendo games. Sony had to have looked at the market and saw this was a battle they can't win so why bother? Ouya, future Apple TV box, and many more cheap options are going to eat that market. The smart move was to go in the opposite direction: build a box for the high end, but remain affordable enough for the general public.

Another way I look at it is Youtube vs. big budget Hollywood. You can stay home and watch youtube videos to your hearts content for free. But there is still a sizable amount of people that go to the movies and plunk down $15 a ticket for the blockbusters. If Sony doesn't build the box for the blockbusters who will? They have the history, connections, developers and know how to make it work. I think they made the right move.

Sony, MS, EA, Activision and Ubisoft all gun for the same software market. To put it into your terms they'd be summer action blockbusters. Think of what Hollywood would be like without romantic comedies. These movies IIRC are more more profitable and absolutely necessary for the health of the companies that put them out.

They have a lot to gain because that market exists and it's a pretty big one. Steam has like 60 million users for example and I believe that anyone who uses Steam is a "true gamer" because casuals don't even know what steam is.

Coolwhip

Banned
So these core gamers that are shrinking, where are they going? To iphones? And kids that are growing up are completely skipping consoles?

That's a really good question. But at this point I don't think anyone knows the answer.

I think I was about 7-8 when I got into console gaming with a NES. What do 7-8 year olds do with their free time these days?

That's false.

sort of. it was the cheapest DVD player when it launched...in JAPAN.

By the time it launched stateside, it was as expensive as a good mid to high end model from sony/panasonic/samsung/etc. Prices on these dropped pretty fast though, so within 6 months or a year most DVD players were half the cost of a PS2.

still, a device that could play DVDs *and* play games for not much more was a hell of a draw for that first year.

Quasar

Personally I'm not really convinced that they are betting the farm on gamers, though with this first peak at the device they are trying to regain lost gamers - especially in the U.S. I think as the thing is fully revealed you'll see it every bit as well rounded as other such devices in terms of non-traditional gamer games as well as non game applications.

The whole spiel by kohler I found especially weird complaining that whilst Sony hardly mentioned entertainment (just a single slide of streaming services) he was getting emails from Microsoft trumpeting the fact that you could watch the Oscars on Xbox (do people still watch/care about the oscars?). It seemed clear to me that Sony will provide details on that latter and Sony was just focusing on the games aspect (along with overall vision) that day. I'm not really sure in those circumstances spending time showing off more streaming media apps would be good use of their time.

Add to that it seems to me that most US people I know just use Netflix + Hulu + Amazon + a sport app if they are into that. They don't actually care about the plethora of other media apps generally. That trio covers most of what they want, unless they have specific interests like anime.

LtOrange

No I think this is the best decision they could make. You get the "true" gamers in as early adopters and get them talking about the console. Then once you have that base you go after the casual market. The casual market has smart phones, tablets, ect. These consoles need to aim for what those just can't achieve....a true gaming experience.

jstripes

Banned
The PS4 press conference was games-oriented, yes. But that was on purpose. Now devs can talk about what they're doing.

We'll see everything else PS4 is capable of in the near future.

Ocaso

didnt facebook game market cave in completely?

I am not sure why do you think that by focusing on gamers first, they make it worse for casuals? What exactly sucks for casuals on PS4?

Only worse thing for casuals will be the price... otherwise please do point what is the negative of PS4 compared to lets say Wii U? All the social integration?

Everything they did also helps casual gaming... except for the price.

Your interesting tag notwithstanding, you're right. And we don't even know the price. Sony may go with a subsidized model like MS.

Kev,

pure speculation on my part, but I interpreted "expanding content to other devices" to mean that Sony is looking eventually to make playstation a service, not strictly a console. Think of making playstation an "app" that can stream PS1, Ps2, Ps3, or Ps4 content on demand to any platform in a netflix-like model. PS4 games would likely come at a premium, but 1, 2, and 3 games have basically run their course already. Is 10 bucks a month a reasonable cost to play any of say...500 Ps2 games, as much as you want? maybe.

suddenly playstation becomes relevant to people who don't buy consoles, but like the occasional time waster on their laptop, tablet, etc. You don't need to build an emulator that works on a bazillion android devices either- everything is platform agnostic.

I don't see the PS4 precluding the other parts of the company from working on mobile gaming, the PS4 *is* sony's long term mobile gaming plan.

If their Gaikai acquisition didn't make this clear, their mention of streaming PS3 games should. Sony could become gaming's Netflix for all we know, and while limiting that to one box initially doesn't seem like the best strategy, it does suggest we may see it integrated into the whole Sony ecosystem at some point.

I don't know, but just for starters I wouldn't make a 500 dollar system.

This is really the key point here: analysts are saying Sony needs to do something surprising and unexpected because doing the safe, traditional thing is slowly bleeding them dry.

I don't know precisely how Sony would capture the Facebook/casual market; that's the nature of surprising, unexpected things. If I knew how to do it, I would be a billionaire.

It reminds me a bit of Nintendo with the 3DS: they couldn't figure out how to tap in to people like they did with the DS, so they made what is effectively a super DS because it was relatively safe and reliable.

Aren't tablets $500? Hasn't the 3DS turned out to be a success? I'm not sure where all this derision is coming from.

Nestunt

gamers are the ones that start the word of mouth needed to diferentiate the sales of gaming consoles

every gaming company should also target first the gamers

those are the ones who will buy their first and expensive skus

after you have secured that install base and the word of mouth has started to spread to the non gamers by their gamer friends, then you shift your marketing strategy

so simple

first and foremost is a dedicated device

they absolutely HAVE to attract the consumers who want to do with that product what it is dedicated to

this is transversal to every product

Mrbob

I think we need to qualify what PC F2P gaming is anymore before we condemn the PS4 for not supporting it. Seems like the PC F2P market is rapidly changing each day.

I believe it is a safe bet Planetside 2 will be there at launch. Possibly pre installed on every PS4. More F2P games will follow. If we are talking casual F2P games, well, good luck. Not even those are guaranteed to be a success.

If I were Sony, I'd place my bet on F2P with MOBA games. If PS4 could establish itself as -the- MOBA console it would probably do more to boost hardware sales than almost anything else. Especially with the live streaming built into the PS4. Anyone could easily set up a match for people worldwide to spectate.

No, it's a short term strategy. They will appeal to the core early, get the userbase up, and the price of components will drop quickly for a variety of reasons (the Durango will use them, they're basically PC parts). Then they can go after the casuals. I'd be worried about a Sony strategy targeting the casuals with even a $399 box, which, being honest, is the lowest any new console was going to come in at for Sony without subsidization.

I want to say it's the Vita strategy except that third parties will actually make games on PS4, and that there is a proven "premium game" console market compared to handhelds.

I agree about the vita strategy, the problem with the vita (and 3DS for that matter) was that it also struggled with the tablet/smartphone in the west, obviously the vita more so. This won't affect consoles as much I don't think. And in JP vita doesn't really have any JP centric games until next week/month. If PS4 has those, it should be ok there as well.

damisa

It depends on the price, I'm thinking any console >$400 will do terribly. Probably worse than the $599 PS3. People always talk about how tablets and smartphones have hurt handheld gaming, but I think those things have also hurt home console gaming.
Nintendo have made some mistakes with the Wii U and 3DS, but when you're struggling to sell after having two of the most popular consoles ever(DS and Wii), that spells trouble for the traditional gaming market.

I think PS4 will have plenty of content for all types of gamers...Everyone is questioning how open the platform will be to Indy's, but how easy is it to port something from PC right over to PS4 now?

As long as Sony caters to fans in some way with some backwards compatibility stuff, the games will be there.

I love Sony's vision, and there focus on gamers I think is stronger than MS (we'll see) and that could pay off especially the first year.

I believe the only thing Sony has to do, is make a subscription service for PS+ signups and offer PS4 at $200 with 2 year sub. and $400 without a subscription. That is just a great way for loyal fans to not just IMPULSE buy, but to tell everyone they know to impulse buy as well....You will quickly see PS4 jump to 2-3 million units I think with a model like that.

Smart Phones sells this way because you literally pay up front a fraction of the cost. It needs to be brought to consoles now, that's the only hurdle Sony has to overcome, because it seems like a big move, when it's really just logical and IMO kinda expected. People are not going to spend $500 for consoles anymore, that's only reserved for tablets now, and you can only have one "it" thing at a time.

vocab

Considering Wii U's failure to capture the casual/non gamer market AGAIN, I think Sony is fine. Besides, most of the casual market doesn't even come to play until the price is right. The PS2 was selling significantly more when the game library was established, and the price was right.

It reminds me a bit of Nintendo with the 3DS -- they couldn't figure out how to tap in to people like they did with the DS, so they made what is effectively a super DS because it was relatively safe and predictable. It won't sell nearly as well as the DS, but at least it won't fall completely flat on its face as it could have if Nintendo went out in to left field again and failed.

Completly diffrent scenario - tablets can deliver games similar to most of casual oriented DS titles and they are "good enought" for most users to provide short distraction.

The only competion traditional console has for TV is pc.

Zabka

The sky is falling mentality from the gaming press is always hilarious to watch. I guess it gives them something to write about.

TBH I would hate to be a publisher right now. The gaming market is in a shifting state and there are many viable directions to go, yet none are very clear on which is the best direction to go. Consoles, Mobile, Tablets, PC, casual, core, f2p, whatever, there is profitability but each direction require such drastic changes in strategy that any attempts to appeal to a larger group becomes a gamble.

Opiate

Aren't tablets $500?

Yes. What does this have to do with the price of tea in China? I'm saying a platform has significantly better chance of capturing a new market if it's cheaper.

Hasn't the 3DS turned out to be a success? I'm not sure where all this derision is coming from.

It's a tepid success. It is doing fine, but it's not doing explosively well.

And "explosively well" is what most analysts feel Sony needs. I'm not even talking about losses: Low profit margins don't cut it for a company in Sony's position.

I'll repeat it one more time, because I do feel this idea is important: the "core" market is safe and reliable, but also not likely to show much growth or very significant profits. For a company in Sony's position -- a company slowly but consistently bleeding -- staying the course is not perceived as a good idea.

Sony has to make a move, in other words. And sticking with safe, reliable markets is not what most people consider "making a move."

TheExodu5

Banned
They are being very smart about the upcoming generation. They're focusing on the core gamer which is the most likely to buy the PS4 at launch. On top of that, they are trying to capitalize on the video game streaming crowd which is going to be in essence free advertisement for the PS4. If the majority of games on Twitch are streaming through PS4, I think that may give it a big lead in the coming generation. This is assuming that it does indeed have the capability to stream to Twitch and not solely a proprietary service.

I think people lose perspective on the size of the gaming market.

In a bad quarter PCs sell 90 million units.

Of course people are arguing over whether tablets should count as PCs in which case PC sales are actually up this year.

Jedi2016

The game market isn't "changing", it's expanding. In this case, "In with the new" does not automatically equate to "out with the old". The big rush of Facebook and mobile gaming has no real impact on "core" console or PC gaming, they're two completely different demographics. I don't think any of us feel that Plants vs Zombies or Farmville are taking the place of Call of Duty or Halo or Uncharted.

Raven77

True Gamers if you will, BUILT THIS FUGGING MARKET

The amount of True Gamers has only grown

So why the F would it be a mistake to focus on them??????????????????????????

That's a really good question. But at this point I don't think anyone knows the answer.

I think I was about 7-8 when I got into console gaming with a NES. What do 7-8 year olds do with their free time these days?

From what I can see around me, they play video games. But They want tablets, cause tablets are cool. Consoles are not.
This can change of course, but that's today's trend it seems, and I honestly think it's a shame.

Also it affects home consoles too, cause kids mostly play tablets at home.

Wubby

Sony, MS, EA, Activision and Ubisoft all gun for the same software market. To put it into your terms they'd be summer action blockbusters. Think of what Hollywood would be like without romantic comedies. These movies IIRC are more more profitable and absolutely necessary for the health of the companies that put them out.

You point out something that I feel is one of the true causes of decline in the big budget game market. You are quite right about them all being summer action blockbusters. And that's the problem. These companies no longer are willing to take risks and put big money and marketing into new titles and genres. All we keep getting are Call of Duty 43 and the like. I think there is a big market out there that isn't being catered to.

The Sims is one such success. It's shown there is a huge market for the 'romantic comedy blockbuster' games. And if there was a company out there that made one tailored for a high end system that actually had real thought and design put into it I'm betting it would sell.

Minecraft. I'd say 80% of the players I play with on MC servers are 14 and under.

Top Bottom