• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Batmobile the worst AAA gameplay mechanic in recent memory?

selo

I finished every arkham game, except for Arkham Knight. The reason? the batmobile, yeah :/

Not recent, but another example where a mechanic almost made me quit a game was twilight princess, the dark/shadow parts, luckily that game compensated with the dungeons and everything else, but yeah, it annoyed me a bit

Orbis

I thought while sometimes repetitive, the segments were fun and increasingly challenging, but never frustratingly hard. I say that as someone who is openly crap at playing games generally. I thought they added decent variety to the series.

karnage10

Banned
I like the batmobile sections, that said i feel that there are too many mines, too many checkpoints and too many riddler trophies. Most of those are far too similar to each other and become boring quickly.

Bergerac

OP sets out to complain about the mechanics of the Batmobile.

Complains about the game.

Mechanically, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Batmobile, regardless of how much or how little anyone feels it was used.

It works perfectly fine.

The worst? Not even close. It was ok. It ran fine, it felt awesome to drive it. The only problem it had and what everyone hated about it, was the fact that it wasnt used "properly". Besides a few interesting riddler challenges and puzzles, all you did was play a batman arcade version of Tanks.

Still don't get the hate for the Batmobile really. Driving around and launching out at high speed was cool and the Tank worked well enough, although a few sections went on a little longer than it probably should but it still controlled well, so never felt really bad or anything.

Also it was only a small part of the game and didn't take anything away from the rest of the game, which played just as good, if not better than the other Arkham games. I spent way more time on foot or in the air, flying around than in the Batmobile.

kizmah

I liked it for the most part. It felt badass and was quite fun in some challenges and tank-battles. The only part I didn't really like was the cobra tank-encounters, especially that last one. Playing stealth with a tank felt silly and those battles draged on a bit.

hollomat

Banned
Huge fan of the first 3 (even Origins). Knight was such a huge step down and it was all due to the batmobile. I had to force myself to finish and it's a game I know I will never ever return to.

Schlorgan

CckZXmiW8AAaWxd.jpg:large

SomTervo

OP sets out to complain about the mechanics of the Batmobile.

Complains about the game.

Mechanically, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Batmobile, regardless of how much or how little anyone feels it was used.

It works perfectly fine.

Yes, thank you.

I give up after a few hours,wtf were they thinking?I have to give another chance,but I have a lot of games to finish and the next corner we have FFXV and the Last Guardian and next year will be even greater.

Grenchel

The best parts in the game were when you were going back and fourth from controlling the bat car, and doing bat shit. The worst parts were when you were forced to fight bosses in thing.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Batmobile stuff in itself, the real issue was that it by nature forced a style/type of gameplay into the title that people may not have wanted or been particularly interested in.

The bottom line I guess is that if you were to inject chunks of Forza Horizon into Gears of War, some people would find it annoying regardless of quality because they don't want to be driving so much as shooting and chainsawing things to bits.

Fbh

After hearing so much complaining about the Batmobile being overused I really didn't find that to be the case in the final came. For the most part it was well balanced IMO.

The only area where they screwed up with the Batmobile was the boss battles. There it felt forced and wasn't really fun either

breakfuss

It's definitely up there. Nearly ruined the game for me. But nah, I still think that water-jetpack thing in Mario Sunshine is worse.

i got sick of the tank parts after a few encounters.

but still driving around in the batmobile and launching out to glide (or gliding into it) never got old for me. Arkham Knight had the best batman traversal in the franchise. Shit felt like being the batgod.

Card Boy

Banned
The concept of driving the Batmobile is cool and was something that was missing from previous Arkham games but the way it was implemented was poor. Imagine if Roach in Witcher 3 was mandatory for story missions and shoved in your face at every possible moment even when it was wasn't needed. That is the problem with the Batmobile.

It's usage in Arkham Knight needed to be reduced by like 80% and it's focus should being on what made previous games awesome.

The Batmobile was overused but I wouldn't say it was bad. They heard some people say - but the Batmobile why can't we drive it???? - and they designed a game to satisfy that demand. Where I think they missed the mark is that Gotham is kinda small. Which is fine if your grappling and gliding but in a car with boost - you needed more room to roam but then that takes away from the grappling and gliding.

Ultimately I think they tried to design a Batman game that worked in a Car and Out of a Car and largely I think they succeeded. Which sounds like a gargantuan sized Nigma puzzler to me. Just one too many tank battles is all.

Zesh

I actually kind of liked the Batmobile. I found driving around Gotham in it enjoyable; where they erred was shoehorning it in at every possible opportunity.

There were too many tank battles, the Riddler challenges didn't make sense, and having key boss fights utilize the Batmobile instead of Batman was a mistake.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
What the f...? I what universe it's the worst AAA mechanic? Look at Ubisoft's games, there's a shit ton of them there. The only bad thing about Batmobile in AK is that.... there's just too fucking much action stuff for it, other than that it's a lot of fun to drive in it / destroy parts of buildings and stuff.

I played and 100% the game just this year so I went in knowing full well all the main complaints about it the game. I was expecting mediocrity. To my surprise It controlled amazingly well. I didn't mind it at all and I honestly think the whole deal with the batmobile is massively overblown.

mikelarry

Almost gave up on the game because of this but some how managed to complete it twice as I genuinely really enjoyed everything else about the game

Slixshot

Banned
No way! The Batmobile may have been overused but damn it felt good to drive and was the ballsiest addition to a AAA game, well, almost ever. When you expect more of the same in games like assassins creed and call of duty, here's Batman trying something new.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Batmobile stuff in itself, the real issue was that it by nature forced a style/type of gameplay into the title that people may not have wanted or been particularly interested in.

The bottom line I guess is that if you were to inject chunks of Forza Horizon into Gears of War, some people would find it annoying regardless of quality because they don't want to be driving so much as shooting and chainsawing things to bits.

best answer :) ...

Top Bottom