• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the "Dpad" Nintendo's best contribution to gaming?

We're clearly talking about modern analog sticks, not some sematic bullshit from arcade cabinets. This is getting pathetic.

do you...know what the analog flight stick was? why are you even bringing up arcade cabinets?

it's a controller designed for the PS1 and only the PS1.

"pathetic" is willful ignorance and spin, but it's not coming from me.

Has any company taken more risks or innovated more in gaming then Nintendo?

Sega used to be in that conversation until they went bankrupt. Can't think of anyone else.

probably not, if for no other reason than their sheer longevity in the industry. I agree Sega should be #2 had they kept going- maybe #1 if you include all the insane stuff they did with arcade cabinets.

- introduced dpad
- introduced a targeting system
- improved/perfected analogue sticks
- Mario 64
- Ocarina of Time

I always have this top 5 when I get asked what Nintendo's best contributions are.

- improved/perfected analogue sticks

No one uses their type of analog sticks. Everyone uses ones like Sony's, rather then Nintendo's, which were more like an inverted wheel mouse with a stick stuck to the ball.

The PS1 launched in 1994.

The N64 launched in 1996.

The Playstation Analog Joystick https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Analog_Joystick
was announced in 1995, launched in April 1996 before the N64 released.

edit:

the Dual Analog was a scaled down version of that, launched in 1997.

The Dual Shock with rumble showed up in late 1997.

The analog controllers on Sony's end weren't "mid gen" at all and were well in development before the N64 launched.
Why leave out when the N64 was announced if you are using the dualshock announcement as a goalpost?

Could it be because it would prove that Sony reacted to the 1994 announcement and began working on their own analog sticks that would then be announced the following year?

Also, releasing a new version of your system with new controllers 3 years into a generation is mid-gen.

Why leave out when the N64 was announced if you are using the dualshock announcement as a goalpost?

Could it be because it would prove that Sony reacted to the 1994 announcement and began working on their own analog sticks that would eventually be then announced the following year?

Possible, but it's not likely.

The analog controller that Sony announced in 1995 looks nothing like Nintendo's interpretation- at all. the flight stick is VERY different from what Nintendo was trying to do. The dual analog was simply a scaled down version of the same idea, and had an exclusive mode to emulate it. Ask yourself why a company as cost conscious as Sony was included TWO analog sticks on the dualshock instead of one, when the first game to require two sticks didn't show up until 1999.

It's because the dualshock was meant to be compatible with the titles designed around their dual analog flight stick that went back to 1996.

At the same time, Namco was working on their own analog controller with the NegCon. That one was actually released in 1995 for the PS1, but only really intended to work with their own games. They refined it later with the JogCon in 1998, even though the dualshock and dual analog had long since been available.

Analog control was inevitable with the rise of 3D gaming, and many people were working on them. Its weird to imply that Sony and Namco were just "copying" nintendo since their implementations were all wildly different, and not similar at all to what nintendo was doing.

Sega I might grant you, since their analog pad was single joystick like nintendo's, marketed with a platformer, and never bundled into the system.

nynt9

I know who made something first isn't necessarily the best argument, but I found this image that can serve as a starting point for discussing some of the innovations and where they originated:

h9fiHmX.png

"Who popularized/perfected it" is probably a better question, and we can use this as a springboard to discuss some of these.

WillyFive

NOW who's trolling? The PS1 consistently perpetually ahead of the N64. there was no "eventually" there, the N64 got dominated, and badly.

Do you think that just because something ended up in a specific way, it was that same way during the entirety of it's life span? That's....that's how children think.

urwf4hjgj.jpg

The N64 was a beast for it's first year until Sony started to actively fight back and started sweeping. Remember, NeoGAF is an enthusiast gaming forum, there are people here that actually know about videogames, when proven wrong don't try to move the goal posts and try to spin an explanation that obviously doesn't fit history. It's ok to accept an idea you've had for a while was wrong.

nynt9

Do you think that just because something ended up in a specific way, it was that same way during the entirety of it's life span? That's....that's how children think.

urwf4hjgj.jpg

The N64 was a beast for it's first year until Sony started to actively fight back. Remember, NeoGAF is an enthusiast gaming forum, there are people here that actually know about videogames, when proven wrong don't try to move the goal posts and try to spin an explanation that obviously doesn't fit history. It's ok to accept an idea you've had for a while was wrong.

Unaligned monthly sales comparison is kind of a disingenunous metric considering PS1 launched earlier. Launch-aligned cumulative numbers are where it's at.

Gen2GenComps.jpg

Muffdraul

I know who made something first isn't necessarily the best argument, but I found this image that can serve as a starting point for discussing some of the innovations and where they originated:

h9fiHmX.png

"Who popularized/perfected it" is probably a better question, and we can use this as a springboard to discuss some of these.

Holy shit, how incredibly disingenuous to have a pic of a proper cross-shaped Nintendo D-pad labeled "Mattel Intellivision." That controller had a circular disc about the size of a 50 cent coin sitting atop a really crappy low tension spring. It was awful and the D-pad bore little to zero resemblance to it. I assume you didn't make the chart, so not blaming you personally per se. =P

h9fiHmX.png

First light guns came out in the 30s. Nintendo's own first light gun games predate the 1972 Odyssey...

The NES Zapper was an evolution of their previous light guns.

Whoever made that chart didn't seem to like research.

nynt9

Holy shit, how incredibly disingenuous to have a pic of a Nintendo D-pad under "Mattel Intellivision." That controller had a circular disc about the size of a 50 cent coin sitting atop a really crappy low tension spring. It was awful and the D-pad bore little to zero resemblance to it. I assume you didn't make the chart, so not blaming you personally per se. =P

Yeah I didn't make it, and like I said "who made it first" isn't the best argument per se and I cautioned against that line of thinking.

WillyFive

Unaligned monthly sales comparison is kind of a disingenunous metric considering PS1 launched earlier. Launch-aligned cumulative numbers are where it's at.

Cumulative numbers are a different topic from the one we were discussing. The point was to show what was selling during a certain point in time; total numbers can't give you that data since it's cumulative.

Muffdraul

Yeah I didn't make it, and like I said "who made it first" isn't the best argument per se and I cautioned against that line of thinking.

It isn't even a matter of who was first, it's that there's hardly any correlation between the two in terms of design.

urwf4hjgj.jpg

The N64 was a beast for it's first year until Sony started to actively fight back and started sweeping. Remember, NeoGAF is an enthusiast gaming forum, there are people here that actually know about videogames, when proven wrong don't try to move the goal posts and try to spin an explanation that obviously doesn't fit history. It's ok to accept an idea you've had for a while was wrong.

Note that the US is not the world, and NPD is north american centric. Note that I was talking about Worldwide sales, and noted that the N64 was competitive ONLY in the US- mostly on the back of first person shooters like Turok and Goldeneye.

It got blown out in the EU and JP.

I "know" the PS1 outsold the N64 throughout it's lifespan because I was gaming and paying attention during that era, not because it "ended up that way." I was on enthusiast gaming forums like the GIA before Neogaf existed.

you dig?

It isn't even a matter of who was first, it's that there's hardly any correlation between the two in terms of design.

agree. the intellivision's 8 way disc isn't similar at ALL to modern D-pads and was kind of a PITA to use. Even the shoulder button claim is questionable there.

D.Lo

h9fiHmX.png

This chart is the saltiest Nintendo hating bullshit I have ever seen in one place.

WillyFive

Note that the US is not the world, and NPD is north american centric. Note that I was talking about Worldwide sales, and noted that the N64 was competitive ONLY in the US- mostly on the back of first person shooters like Turok and Goldeneye.

It got blown out in the EU and JP.

I "know" the PS1 outsold the N64 throughout it's lifespan because I was gaming and paying attention during that era, not because it "ended up that way."

you dig?

I agree that the N64 was only competitive in the West.

That's not relevant to the topic over analog sticks though.

nkarafo

The PS1 launched in 1994.

The N64 launched in 1996.

The Playstation Analog Joystick https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Analog_Joystick
was announced in 1995, launched in April 1996 before the N64 released.

edit:

the Dual Analog was a scaled down version of that, launched in 1997.

The Dual Shock with rumble showed up in late 1997.

The analog controllers on Sony's end weren't "mid gen" at all and were well in development before the N64 launched.
So the N64 analog appeared out of thin air? No prior production took place?

The N64 controller was shown completed and working with Mario 64 in 1995.

PSqueak

Banned
Dpad, standarizing rumble for consoles, pushing wireless for consoles as a standard and the analogue stick.

All great contributions to CONSOLE gaming.

pswii60

Pfft Manic Miner was the defining 2D platformer. Came out same year as Mario Bros but made by one person in his bedroom and it featured evil toilets which is therefore obviously better than anything Nintendo has ever done.

I should add, in all seriousness, Nintendo had no influence in Europe in the 80s. We very much had our own gaming market, pre-globalisation. The outside influence came from the arcades... (so ok ok.. Nintendo might have had a couple of well known arcade games..!) But really the C64 and ZX Spectrum were brimming with interesting games that you folks in the US never played.. and vice versa.

bionic77

The N64 controller was shown completed before all this, when it was still called "Ultra 64".
I really don't remember playing anything remotely like Mario 64 and it's controls before it came out.

Especially the precision in how you could control speed and direction. Maybe someone can correct me though. And this coming from someone who has played on many of those analog controllers from decades ago. They were nothing like the modern analog stick.

I don't know how giving Nintendo props for innovation takes away from Sonys success in this industry.

I agree that the N64 was only competitive in the West.

That's not relevant to the topic over analog sticks though.

Sales only got brought up because someone (erroneously) claimed that Sony only developed analog sticks because nintendo was "eating their lunch". and got reactionary.

This never happened. Sony was WELL ahead worldwide, and this was still an era when both Sony and Nintendo were still pretty japan-centric. Stuff launched there first and maaybe the west got it later if it was popular.

Sony's analog devices were obviously in development alongside of, not a reaction to the N64, and aren't really similar to what Nintendo ended up doing. Namco's JogCon and NegCon are completely wacky analog pads that don't look like either but exist for the same reason- analog simply works better for certain polygonal games and 360 degree movement.

Sega I would probably agree was late to the party and reactionary though. they barely bothered with their analog pad outside of bundling it with Nights- but then again the Saturn was a disaster all around.

The N64 controller was shown completed before all this, when it was still called "Ultra 64".

Sony announced the flightstick in 1995. the dual analog was shown "completed" in 1996 before the N64 was on shelves (but delayed to launch alongside tobal in 1997). both were in development long before this, controller development and prototyping isn't trivial.

It doesn't matter that the N64 was shown "completed" in 1995 when it was still the ultra 64 (and I'm not certain on exactly when the controller was finalized) because analog joysticks were not new ideas. Again mattel had made one all the way back in 1982, and you could find them all over arcades.

they're just not practical if all you're doing is playing simple sprite based games. D pads work more than well enough- hell, D pads work well enough for a good chunk of the PS1 library.

Nintendo popularized it and hyped it with the N64, before anybody else. Sony made it a pair which was also a good idea but it's a different contribution.

Saturn did it first. Yea, it sold worse, but the N64 sold worse than the PS1 so you can't have it both ways.

Sega did it first, Sony made it mainstream, Nintendo was in between.

D.Lo

I should add, in all seriousness, Nintendo had no influence in Europe in the 80s. We very much had our own gaming market, pre-globalisation. The outside influence came from the arcades... (so ok ok.. Nintendo might have had a couple of well known arcade games..!)
Definitely true in a brand presence sense. But Nintendo still had influence on European development, even though they were not a sales force in consoles (primarily because they were still a small company in the 80s and their presence outside Japan/US was just through sub distributors).

Commodore 64 games for example were highly influenced by Famicom games (Giana sisters being the ultra-obvious example). And NES style controllers became the standard, even if it wasn't Nintendo themselves introducing them to the particular market, but instead MSX/C64/Sega copies of Nintendo ideas.

nkarafo

This is from 1995.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys723F9wiwU

Though this was the show were the real name of the console was unveiled. I'll try to look for older pictures that have the Ultra 64 sticker and the controller. Still, the controller was 100% completed already.

Saturn did it first. Yea, it sold worse, but the N64 sold worse than the PS1 so you can't have it both ways.

Sega did it first, Sony made it mainstream, Nintendo was in between.
I want to see the receipts.

This is from 1995.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys723F9wiwU

Though this was the show were the real name of the console was unveiled. I'll try to look for older pictures that have the Ultra 64 sticker and the controller. Still, the controller was 100% completed already.

I want to see the receipts.

Sony announced the dual flightstick in 1995, that same year. It was complete, but not sold until April 96. You think they announced this

in reaction to seeing the N64?

the two have nothing to do with each other.

nkarafo

Sony announced the dual flightstick in 1995, that same year. It was complete, but not sold until April 96. You think they announced this

in reaction to seeing the N64?

the two have nothing to do with each other.
That goes both ways. You don't think Nintendo made the N64 controller in reaction to this, right?

The N64 controller was designed for Mario 64. It was already shown working in 1995. We don't really know when the development started but we can assume it was before that.

All i know is that the analog controller became a success for Nintendo first. That's what "popularized" means. Though, they didn't invent it.

That goes both ways. You don;t think Nintendo made the N64 controller in reaction to this, right?

The N64 controller was designed for Mario 64. It was already shown working in 1995. We don't really know when the development started but we can assume it was before that.

That's the thing, no- I don't. the two controller concepts are wildly, completely different.

The analog flightstick was designed to run games like Ace combat, elemental gearbolt, mechwarrior, missile command, colony wars, and descent.

the N64 controller was designed to run Mario 64.

Neither one of these would be ideal for playing the other.

and that's to say nothing of the NegCon which was on shelves and selling in 1995- before nintendo even ANNOUNCED the N64 controller. That one is designed to do nothing but play Ridge Racer.

Analog was happening eventually- everyone just had different priorities about how to get there and what was important. Saying Sony or Namco "copied" nintendo's implementation when their own controllers were already in development is silly.

nkarafo

I see i was already beaten at the Ultra 64 picture

The N64 was announced and publicly revealed years (since 1994) before release (as the Ultra 64), due to multiple high profile delays (it finally came out in mid 1996). Both the Saturn analog controller and Sony's multiple attempts were direct responses to the N64.

Nintendo-64-1.jpg

The PS1 would not be released in Japan for a few more months when this image was released, and the PS1 would not come out in the US until a year later.
Analog was happening eventually- everyone just had different priorities about how to get there and what was important. Saying Sony or Namco "copied" nintendo's implementation when their own controllers were already in development is silly.
I didn't say one copied the other. Nobody really knows what happens behind the scenes. I only mentioned that it was a success for the N64 first. It was Nintendo who had this at a higher priority and pushed the technology, making it the standard controller instead of a "niche" peripheral.

D.Lo

had there been no N64, you still would have ended up with the Dualshock at the exact same time. It wasn't a panicked reaction to the N64, Sony had it in development for years.
If you honestly believe this you are fooling yourself on such an incredible level.

You're clinging to technicalities ('oh but something else was technically analogue before it') then reaching crazy stretch conclusions ('Dual shock would have been released at the exact same time anyway') in a bizarre misguided attempt to prove Nintendo's analogue stick and rumble had literally no influence at all.

I see i was already beaten at the Ultra 64 picture

I didn't say one copied the other. Nobody really knows what happens behind the scenes. I only mentioned that it was a success for the N64 first. It was Nintendo who had this at a higher priority, making it the standard controller instead of a "bonus" peripheral.

being shown in marketing photos is hardly the same as being successful, and this is even less of a compelling argument when no actual footage of how the controller even works existed at that time.

Again- Nintendo did not invent the analog stick, they had been around for decades at that point. Sony wasn't "surprised" that nintendo included one and scrambled to keep up- they did their own thing and expanded that when the PS1 became a phenomenon.

I'm not sure how one would quantify that "it was a success for nintendo first" when Sony easily outsold the N64 WW even without an analog controller. They were in absolutely no danger of losing that lead even if the dualshock had never been bundled in- third party support was too high, game costs were too low.

It's a very strange narrative that Sony was panicked into responding to nintendo's analog joystick and N64 when Sony never made a platformer that looked or played anything like Nintendo's games, and the Analog Pad they developed ended up being a scaled down version of their dual stick flight pad, and looked nothing like Nintendo's N64 controller.

with that i'm out- friday night, things to do.

rekameohs

Banned
I think the touch screen is a pretty big one. I mean, obviously PDAs had it and whatnot, but the DS brought it to an entertainment setting that hadn't been seen before at all and is a juggernaut now. And don't even talk about the Tiger Game.com or whatever; I'm talking about popular products.

nkarafo

being shown in marketing photos is hardly the same as being successful, and this is even less of a compelling argument when no actual footage of how the controller even works existed at that time.

Again- Nintendo did not invent the analog stick, they had been around for decades at that point. Sony wasn't "surprised" that nintendo included one and scrambled to keep up- they did their own thing and expanded that when the PS1 became a phenomenon.

I'm not sure how one would quantify that "it was a success for nintendo first" when Sony easily outsold the N64 WW even without an analog controller. They were in absolutely no danger of losing that lead even if the dualshock had never been bundled in- third party support was too high, game costs were too low.

It's a very strange narrative that Sony was panicked into responding to nintendo's analog joystick and N64 when Sony never made a platformer that looked or played anything like Nintendo's games, and the Analog Pad they developed ended up being a scaled down version of their dual stick flight pad, and looked nothing like Nintendo's N64 controller.

with that i'm out- friday night, things to do.
Most people didn't even know what analog controller means before Nintendo made it a thing. I understand that we "know better" and GAF is a game enthusiast site. But the word popularized means it made it mainstream. There is no doubt the N64 made the analog thumbstick popular. Again, not saying that Sony copied them but come on, they never really started hyping their analog controllers before Nintendo. Nintendo took the risk and hyped it as the standard controller, the future of 3D gaming, etc. For both Sega and Sony it was only a peripheral and that changed after Nintendo succeeded making it the standard.

At least that's how i remember things back then.

Madao

In all honesty it was probably this

You can pay $60 for a game because we promise we're good for it and it'll be worth your time. Otherwise gaming would probably never really have gotten out of simple arcade games.

But I like to think their biggest contribution was Mario Bros. A game that was about twenty years ahead in cognitive level design. That or probably Wii Sports--games that are good for your health.

wasn't this symbol used to certify a game was a genuine product and not conterfeit?

when did the myth that it was a "good game" seal ever begin? every game ever released officially has this symbol, even the shittiest game ever made.

Adnor

Banned
wasn't this symbol used to certify a game was a genuine product and not conterfeit?

when did the myth that it was a "good game" seal ever begin? every game ever released officially has this symbol, even the shittiest game ever made.

Yes. That's why there are hundreds of shitty broken games on NES and SNES that have that seal. The only thing it said was that the cartridge was genuine.

People just like to remember those times better than they were, sayins stuff like "Games weren't broken back then, we didn't need patches like now".

nkarafo

The seal of quality symbol was like a guarantee that you won't see shit like the shovelware the Atari 2600 was filled with, meaning not everybody would be able to make games for the console from their bedrooms without permission. It didn't really say games will be good, that's subjective.

TBH, this seal of quality needs to be a thing again for STEAM...

Adnor

Banned
The seal of quality symbol was like a guarantee that you won't see shit like the shovelware the Atari 2600 was filled with. meaning not everybody would be able to make games for the console from their bedrooms without permission. It didn't really say games will be good, that's subjective.

No, it only meant that the cartridge was solid. As in, the physical cartridge was made according to Nintendo standards, it said nothing about the game itself.

There are so many bad NES games that I honestly don't understand how people think it's about the quality of the game itself. We just don't remember those because we barely touched them because of how bad they were.

nkarafo

No, it only meant that the cartridge was solid. As in, the physical cartridge was made according to Nintendo standards, it said nothing about the game itself.
You mean like the materials? That the cart will just work?

Why did they need to market a seal for that, wasn't a standard product guarantee enough?

D.Lo

I think the touch screen is a pretty big one. I mean, obviously PDAs had it and whatnot, but the DS brought it to an entertainment setting that hadn't been seen before at all and is a juggernaut now. And don't even talk about the Tiger Game.com or whatever; I'm talking about popular products.
This is true. The DS pre-dated the iphone by three years, and pre-dated iPhone games by four years. It also sold 150 million so was ahead of the iPhone in sales for most of the decade. iPhone games were a direct evolution of the touch screen minigames games in Mario 64 DS. It also had a browser, on screen touch keyboard etc. It's really the device that first popularised these ideas which are now in literally billions of devices.

The caveat is that the iPhone would probably have had a touch screen anyway, so while the DS was the pioneer, the line of influence is not clear.

rekameohs

Banned
This is true. The DS pre-dated the iphone by three years, and pre-dated iPhone games by four years. It also sold 150 million so was ahead of the iPhone in sales for most of the decade. iPhone games were a direct evolution of the touch screen minigames games in Mario 64 DS. It also had a browser, on screen touch keyboard etc. It's really the device that first popularised these ideas which are now in literally billions of devices.

The caveat is that the iPhone would probably have had a touch screen anyway, so while the DS was the pioneer, the line of influence is not clear.
Sure, that is true. Touch screen gaming in particular may have taken a smidge longer to become a hit on mobile without the DS, but that's a fair point.

I feel like you can settle who "set the standard" by looking at the follow up from each company. Sony sold the exact same controller for the next two decades. Nintendo never made a follow-up to their N64 design, instead making a controller that looked like Sony's. And used Sony's design for the stick itself as well. Sony set the standard.

Taking that further, after supposedly closing the book on 3D game controls with SM64 and analog sticks, Nintendo put out SM64DS with a thumb strap and no analog stick while Sony used a sliding, flush analog stick design for PSP that more or less wound up on the 3DS.

And if you want to talk mainstream, Sony expanded gaming to a level of "mainstream" more than Nintendo had done. 100M to 30M, and then 150M to 20M.

Now, Yoshi Touch N Go, I'm with you.

D.Lo

I feel like you can settle who "set the standard" by looking at the follow up from each company. Sony sold the exact same controller for the next two decades. Nintendo never made a follow-up to their N64 design, instead making a controller that looked like Sony's. And used Sony's design for the stick itself as well. Sony set the standard.

Taking that further, after supposedly closing the book on 3D game controls with SM64 and analog sticks, Nintendo put out SM64DS with a thumb strap and no analog stick while Sony used a sliding, flush analog stick design for PSP that more or less wound up on the 3DS.
We're talking features, not design. Sony's deisgn was swiped whole from the SNES anyway, but tacked on N64 features as they went along.

After N64 Nintendo's next console featured a controller with analogue sticks and rumble, just like their last console. Sony's next console was released with a controller that featured analogue sticks and rumble, which their last console did not launch with, but were available as mid gen upgrades to their last console, features swiped from Nintendo.

Sony's next console launched with a controller with motion control added after seeing... you get the picture.

The reason the Gamecube adapted back to a Virtual Boy/PS1 style design was because that console was a direct attempt to be similar to Sony in some ways.

PSP is valid though, DS should really have had an analogue stick. PSP and 3DS really should have had two as well, it seems everyone was trying to avoid analogue stick usage.

ReBirFh

Pretty sure we were talking about the flight stick, since the sony flight stick was the first analog controller to hit the market since the vectrex in 1982.

Nope? XE-1_AP

Digital/Analog 1989

Legacy
Released in 1989, its use of shoulder buttons predates the release of the SNES controller in 1990. Its use of grip handles and four shoulder buttons also predates the PlayStation controller's 1994 release by five years. Its use of an analogue thumb-stick also predates the Nintendo 64 controller's 1995 unveiling by six years and its 1996 release by seven years. Its additional analog slider was also a precursor to the second analog stick of the PlayStation's Dual Shock controller in 1997.

The XE-1AP is similar in design to the Sega Saturn's 3D Control Pad, released in 1996. In turn, the Saturn's 3D Control Pad was the basis for the 1998 Dreamcast controller, which in turn was the basis for the 2001 Xbox controller, in turn the basis for the 2005 Xbox 360 controller.

I only know about this because I researched SEGA stuff for years, mostly the Brazillian market, and asked ekeke to add support for it on Genesis Plus GX.

Edit. But I do agree it was Nintendo that popularized analog sticks. Besides, the PSX was actually an offshot of a design projected by Nintendo and Sony, there is a reason why the PSX pad is very similar to the SNES Pad.

Controllers:

Standard Pdad
standard analogue stick
standard 4 button layout
shoulder buttons
touch screen gaming
gyro gaming
accelorometer gaming
IR pointer gaming
Wireless controllers
analogue triggers

Games:
2D platformer template
2D adventure game template
3D platformer template + Camera control in 3D
3D aventure game template + combat in 3d (z targeting)
4 player local multi
Structured narrative in games
Secrets in games
(probably missing tons here...)

Other:
Memory on games (save states)
Handheld consoles
VR? (virtual boy??)
Quality control by platform holder

Manufacturers rarely 'invent' anything themselves. The innovation is in taking a technology and making it an industry standard or at least doing something new with it. In the context of games, that requires making influential games that use the technology in interesting ways, for example running in a fully realized 3d sandbox in Mario 64 or swinging a controller as a tennis racket in wii sports. Nintendo didn't invent the accelerator either.

Preach. The hatred and need to downplay this companies achievements is one of the strangest regular occurrences on all gaming boards.

The industry as we know it would not exist without Nintendo. Get over it.

bionic77

Preach. The hatred and need to downplay this companies achievements is one of the strangest regular occurrences on all gaming boards.

The industry as we know it would not exist without Nintendo. Get over it.
I think all of the hardware manufactures have brought some good things to the industry. As innovative as Nintendo has
been they were not up to bringing gaming to a global scale like Sony did.

To me it seems to make more sense to celebrate that instead of trying to diminish their accomplishments.

WillyFive

Sales only got brought up because someone (erroneously) claimed that Sony only developed analog sticks because nintendo was "eating their lunch".

No, that's correct.

Sega I would probably agree was late to the party and reactionary though. they barely bothered with their analog pad outside of bundling it with Nights- but then again the Saturn was a disaster all around.

Only reason someone would say Sega was reactionary and Sony was not would be Sony fanboyism.

Sony announced the flightstick in 1995. the dual analog was shown "completed" in 1996 before the N64 was on shelves (but delayed to launch alongside tobal in 1997). both were in development long before this, controller development and prototyping isn't trivial.

Although both provide analog motion, flight sticks are fundamentally different input methods than analog sticks. You would not play Mario 64 or Ape Escape with a flight stick.

It doesn't matter that the N64 was shown "completed" in 1995 when it was still the ultra 64 (and I'm not certain on exactly when the controller was finalized)

It being 'finalized' is irrelevant, only relevant part is whether or not it had an analog stick. What color the N64 buttons ended up being has no bearing on whether Sony and Sega knew almost two years in advance that the next-gen Nintendo system would have an analog stick in their controller.

Mandoric

Banned
Dpad, standarizing rumble for consoles, pushing wireless for consoles as a standard and the analogue stick.

All great contributions to CONSOLE gaming.

? if you want to count lineup-wide implementation, they were beaten by a year on integrated force feedback and a couple weeks on wireless. If you want to count first general-release bundled SKU, it's around four years for force feedback and a year for wireless - six years for wireless for "standard" controllers rather than limited pointer devices.

Nintendo's innovated a lot, but by god this thread is full of "well, Nintendo made the first x that my mom bought me" shit.

D.Lo

? if you want to count lineup-wide implementation, they were beaten by a year on integrated force feedback and a couple weeks on wireless. If you want to count first general-release bundled SKU, it's around four years for force feedback and a year for wireless - six years for wireless for "standard" controllers rather than limited pointer devices.

Nintendo's innovated a lot, but by god this thread is full of "well, Nintendo made the first x that my mom bought me" shit.
So Nintendo introduced console controller rumble as hardware and an integrated game feature, which was then swiped by Sony, then Sony's next console continued to include the swiped feature, but because Sony's next console came out first they now get the credit for it because they were the first to include it at a console launch. Rich stuff.

Oh man and you described the Wii remote as a 'limited pointer device'. Showing your true colours.

Top Bottom