• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the intro to Last Action Hero the greatest scene in motion picture history?

matrix-lobby.gif

I don't know, but these have got to be up there.
star-wars-episode-vi---return.jpg

oMs6ZBW.gif

People who have never even seen the movies know this scene.
empire-strikes-back.jpg

Openings people, openings.

This movie had the biggest cocktease ever when they imply the villain is going to release all the greatest fictional monsters and evils into the real world (including Bram Stoker's Dracula), and then in the end all we see is the guy who killed Jack Slater's son and Ingmar Bergman's Death.

It certainly is the most personal for the director, considering it's both reproducing Die Hard and also a comment on what it did to action movies and people's expectations. And on 'movie magic' that people fall in love with.

On rewatch it's also pretty apparent it's basically the trail run for The Nice Guys (2016).

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The greatest scene in motion picture history is from an Austrian musical called "Müllers Büro":

The female protagonist sings a song while getting cunilingus from the male protagonist and climaxes during the song.

No link, apparently.

nOoblet16

Why did this movie do poorly critically and commercially ? I get that the answer is that it was ahead of its time but in what way were the audience of that era unable to appreciate the movie?

JB1981

Why did this movie not do poorly critically and commercially ? I get that the answer is that it was ahead of its time but in what way were the audience of that era unable to appreciate the movie?

Not do? It was a critical and commercial disappointment

This movie is extremely underrated. I love it. It's a great opening but there are better openings and better scenes in the movie. The Hamlet scene was awesome.

It has actually gotten a lot better with time. I recently bought the bluray for 4$ and had a blast. The practical effects and action scenes now look and feel so much better than the CGI infested shakycam with 200 cuts per second movies, and it's funny and original too.

Back when it came out, it flopped and signaled the end of Arnold's action career :(

blakep267

Why did this movie not do poorly critically and commercially ? I get that the answer is that it was ahead of its time but in what way were the audience of that era unable to appreciate the movie?
People didn't get it and found it stupid. Lie imagine somebody going to see The Other Guys with will Ferrell and mark wahlberg and expecting a gritty buddy cop movie and bthat ing dissapoijted. Maybe it was the advertising of the time

This and Josie and the Pussy cats were 2 movies that just weren't received well because expectations weren't set correctly or marketing wasn't done right. The Josie and the oussycats trailer gives no indication that it's going to parody boy bands and pop culture

The movie clueless also had the same issue with how it was marketed but it ended up being a hit still

FyreWulff

People didn't get it and found it stupid. Lie imagine somebody going to see The Other Guys with will Ferrell and mark wahlberg and expecting a gritty buddy cop movie and bthat ing dissapoijted. Maybe it was the advertising of the time

This and Josie and the Pussy cats were 2 movies that just weren't received well because expectations weren't set correctly or marketing wasn't done right. The Josie and the oussycats trailer gives no indication that it's going to parody boy bands and pop culture

The movie clueless also had the same issue with how it was marketed but it ended up being a hit still

Josie and the Pussycats is actually a pretty good example.The marketing gave no indication it was a parody and the movie never breaks character and stays with it the whole way through. Outside of quality of the writing/etc, the audience wasn't primed at all for what it was and a lot of people slammed it for the stuff it was trying to make fun of.

I think if you released those two movies today with all the meta comedy being around, they'd do a lot better.

blakep267

Josie and the Pussycats is actually a pretty good example.The marketing gave no indication it was a parody and the movie never breaks character and stays with it the whole way through. Outside of quality of the writing/etc, the audience wasn't primed at all for what it was and a lot of people slammed it for the stuff it was trying to make fun of.

I think if you released those two movies today with all the meta comedy being around, they'd do a lot better.
But also today like it kinda would've been spoiled and all of the suprise would be gone.

In a perfect world a person would go to the theater expecting X and b given Y( a well done parody) and be suprised and delighted as they left the theater. In reality they get angry that they are mislead and if the marketing shows all of their hand, the magic is lost and you have articles deconstructing the entire movie before you go to see it

I'll give an example. Superbad was kind of marketed as aa raunchy teen comedy that you might compare to American pie or an 80's movie. But not until you get into the movie do you see tht this is a smarter, well written comedy that goes into Seth and Evans friendship on a deeper level. It's suprising and very good. But you would be incredibly disappointed if you wanted a teen sex romp

dl77

Why did this movie do poorly critically and commercially ? I get that the answer is that it was ahead of its time but in what way were the audience of that era unable to appreciate the movie?

If you're asking why it did so poorly at the box office the simplest reason is that it came out about a week after the release of Jurassic Park. JP was the juggernaut film of the year and had massive buzz around it all year due to the promise of photoreal dinosaurs and the fact that the marketing was very careful not to give any good shots of the creatures. There was no way any film wasn't going to get creamed if they released immediately after Spielberg's movie.

blakep267

If you're asking why it did so poorly at the box office the simplest reason is that it came out about a week after the release of Jurassic Park. JP was the juggernaut film of the year and had massive buzz around it all year due to the promise of photoreal dinosaurs and the fact that the marketing was very careful not to give any good shots of the creatures. There was no way any film wasn't going to get creamed if they released immediately after Spielberg's movie.
But this was also Arnold. More than one film can coexist at the box office. It didn't have to be a massive hit. The reviews and poor word of mouth killed any chance against jurassic park

Raptomex

It has actually gotten a lot better with time. I recently bought the bluray for 4$ and had a blast. The practical effects and action scenes now look and feel so much better than the CGI infested shakycam with 200 cuts per second movies, and it's funny and original too.

Back when it came out, it flopped and signaled the end of Arnold's action career :(
You should watch Eraser that came out in '96. Another underrated Arnie action film.

bengraven

I don't think there's a single human being alive, whether it's a reviewer or a film historian or even some Joe Schmoe that would disagree with you.

Every human being I have ever talk to says that the intro to last action hero is a masterpiece of modern film.

As someone who owns 10 copies of the criterion collection DVD I cannot disagree.

God this movie was ripped to shreds when it came out. People literally thought it was the biggest disappointment in modern history and thought this was the end of Arnold's career. There wasn't a single person I knew that didn't talk about how it was literally the dumbest thing that ever seen and there was no redeeming qualities. Gaming magazines called the game edition the worst game based on a shit movie since Hudson Hawk. I think what really helped this was being shown on HBO and later other movie channels. I didn't like the movie the first time I saw it on VHS, but after it was re-run on HBO for months I have actually learned to like it.

dl77

But this was also Arnold. More than one film can coexist at the box office. It didn't have to be a massive hit. The reviews and poor word of mouth killed any chance against jurassic park

I'm not saying that going up against JP was the sole reason for it's failure but it was certainly a cause. Up until the release of Titanic in '97 Jurassic Park was the biggest film of the decade. Hell, I was a big Arnie fan back then but I remember JP was the film everyone was excited about in school.

creatchee

This. 1993 was a different time for movies in theaters. Multiplexes had 8 screens max, but most theaters were still 1-4 screens - many of which weren't part of national chains like they are today. When Jurassic Park came out, I saw it at a theater called GCC Northeast in Philadelphia, which had 4 screens. They were running it on all of them at a schedule that could best be described as pretty much as fast as they could fill, empty, and fill an auditorium all day and night for opening weekend. Even if the demand for Last Action Hero was big, there was no way they were cutting back on JP, which was printing money at that point, especially not one weekend later. I imagine it was a similar situation in a lot of theaters.

Obviously, many other aspects went into the disappointing box office of LAH - a lot of which were due to overhype on the part of the studio. There was the standard merch, like clothes, fast food, video games, etc, but, and I don't know if this ever actually panned out, the producers were said to have spent 100 million dollars to send a Last Action Hero rocket or satellite or something to that effect into space. I don't know why - extraterrestrial advertisement? Perhaps trying to make First Contact happen by showing how awesome our movies could be?

Either way, the movie was great and I'm glad that it has obtained a larger appreciation over the years. It was way ahead of its time and fell victim to scheduling and inflated expectations, but it was still a very enjoyable time.

Also, the soundtrack is god tier.

dl77

Every human being I have ever talk to says that the intro to last action hero is a masterpiece of modern film

The club scene in Goodfellas is a masterpiece, the farm opening to Inglourious Basterds is a masterpiece, the T-rex attack in JP is a masterpiece. I really like TLAH but I think the word masterpiece is a gross overstatement for the film's intro.

It's entertaining enough but it's a fairly simplistic play on the 'good cop who doesn't play by the rules' trope. I genuinely can't think of anyone I know who, if asked for the greatest scenes in cinema, would say the intro to The Last Action Hero!

Nope the movie could have reviewed better and it still probably would've still been a box office disappointment. Jurassic Park coming to theaters was/still is one of the biggest events in movie history because of the climate of theater goers in 1993. Anything going up against it was doomed.

I watched a few minutes of this over the weekend. Sill good, but it was a shitty 16x9 version off Hulu. LAH is a love letter to anamorphic lenses and deserves better.

In terms of 1993 reception Sony hyping the hell out of LAH like it was the second coming of Christ didn't help with anything.

The greatest scene in an action movie ever probably comes from Terminator 2

giphy.gif

It pisses me off we never really got a Terminator Future War movie in the style of T2. Where it seems that the survivors have organised and gotten uniforms. Instead they fell back on post apocalypses tropes.

dl77

If memory serves I'm sure there'd been a lot of bad word of mouth about the film before it even released. Obviously we're used to that now with internet leaks and preview reviews popping up online but it was pretty unusual at the time for that to permeate out into the public so widely.

Probably a case of tall poppy syndrome as well given that Arnie had just come off a roll of huge films; Twins, Total Recall, Kindergarten Cop and Terminator 2. John McTiernan as well had had a good run prior to it. Medicine Man aside his previous films were Predator, Die Hard and The Hunt for Red October.

dl77

Slightly OT but I'm always impressed that John McTiernan released two films in 87/88 there were opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of action heroes.

On one side you've got Predator which is literally the most masculine, testosterone ridden, 80's film that'll ever likely be made. You've got characters shrugging off bullet wounds, men literally attacking a forest with a mini-gun and grenade launchers, someone killing a huge wild boar with a knife and bare-hands and someone outrunning a nuclear blast!

On the other side you've got Die Hard, generally accepted as the birth of the modern day action hero. Someone who's an everyman, someone who's filled with self-doubt, every injury causes great pain, regularly gets the crap kicked out of them, struggles to reconnect with his wife.

I think it's amazing that he not only made successive films with such different views as to what constitutes an action star but to actually make them both bona-fide classics and release them one year after the next is astounding!

Bishop89

Slightly OT but I'm always impressed that John McTiernan released two films in 87/88 there were opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of action heroes.

On one side you've got Predator which is literally the most masculine, testosterone ridden, 80's film that'll ever likely be made. You've got characters shrugging off bullet wounds, men literally attacking a forest with a mini-gun and grenade launchers, someone killing a huge wild boar with a knife and bare-hands and someone outrunning a nuclear blast!

On the other side you've got Die Hard, generally accepted as the birth of the modern day action hero. Someone who's an everyman, someone who's filled with self-doubt, every injury causes great pain, regularly gets the crap kicked out of them, struggles to reconnect with his wife.

I think it's amazing that he not only made successive films with such different views as to what constitutes an action star but to actually make them both bona-fide classics and release them one year after the next is astounding!

Goat Action director, only J.Cameron can compare.

Top Bottom