• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Switch Pro Controller worth it?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Anyone know if the usb cable that comes with the controller is ok to charge the console ?
Yes the problem is finding a charger that is up to it 😋

I like my joycon grip and pro.
Only dow side of the joycon grip is the minus button position.

I want one but I don't think I can really justify the $70 price yet

Easily worth the 70, 40 hour battery life and gyro controls alone make it worth it. We bought DS4 and Xbox One controllers for 65 at launch 3-4 years ago. Ds4 having a 3-5 hour battery life and the Xbox One controller requiring batteries. Only negative to the pro is not having a headphone jack.

Edit:
They also come with a cord for charging unlike the Ds4.

Ultimadrago

The pro controller makes the joycons feel like a joke, it's a must have.

Pretty much. I can't even deal with playing with the Joycons on full handheld mode (attached to the screen) in comparison for an open adventure game like Zelda (unless doing something very restricted and monotonous such as playing a certain valuable mini-game for Rupees over and over).

Just bought one off CL for $85. $8 more than at the store w/ tax but the instant i picked it up, it melted into my palms as if it was destined to be there.

Nice weight and fery comfy in the hands. I have big hands so it's a must for me. The joycon grip was too cramped and the position of the buttons directly beneath the right stick makes it harder for my long thumb to hit buttons accurately.

Can't wait to put this bad boy to use.

The ergonomics are great, especially at the shoulder buttons and i like the dpad feel. The buttons are a little mushy though, not as close and short as the xbone's. Sticks are par for the course. Seems solid

Joei

There is a Walmart like 45 minutes away from me that has a bunch of Pro Controller's in stock, I just called to confirm and to see if they would do ship to store since the Walmart by me is a 2 minute drive away. They won't ship to that store and I can not justify driving for nearly 2 hours to get a controller :(

Ninja Dom

Two weeks tomorrow of owning the Pro Controller. I'm 40 hour into Zelda, prob around 25 hours played in TV mode with the Pro Controller - I'm still on my initial first charge from launch day!

(mat)

There is a Walmart like 45 minutes away from me that has a bunch of Pro Controller's in stock, I just called to confirm and to see if they would do ship to store since the Walmart by me is a 2 minute drive away. They won't ship to that store and I can not justify driving for nearly 2 hours to get a controller :(

Oh come on! Where's your sense of adventure!?

bounchfx

I remember seeing a lot of previews stating that you didn't have to buy the pro controller because the joycons+grip felt exactly the same. What the fuck were those people smoking? The analog sticks alone are a huge leap.

they aren't even comparable. the pro is amazing.

that being said, I switch between both because I'm a madman and like both. for some reason I have fun with the variety. you know... 'switchin' it up. eyooo

Joei

Oh come on! Where's your sense of adventure!?

lol, my wife wouldn't be too happy, and honestly, at the time/gas I'd spend doing that, I could just hope to get one on ebay for 80-85 after shipping (unlikely, but one just sold for 76 and like 7$ shipping, so you never know).

Septimius

I wouldn't have picked it up if it wasn't for the desync issues, but it is a really comfortable controller. I'm annoyed I had to spend that much money on top of having just bought a new console, but at least I have it, now

I haven't tried the pro controller yet, and I trust that it really is fantastic.

But I'm really glad I let myself get used to the joycons in grip, at least for now. After a short while it feels great. Seriously.

After playing Zelda with it since since launch, going back to a regular sized controller feels weeeeeeiiird. My 360 pad I use for couch PC gaming feels GIGANTIC. And I honestly prefer the handfeel of the joycons in grip over my DS4.

Another benefit is that I don't feel gimped playing in handheld mode, as the placement and size of the buttons/sticks all carry over.

That said, I really don't doubt the superiority of the Pro controller. But Ive been more than happy with the out-of-box experience.

It's worth it, and blows the joycons out of the water.

Zelda didn't feel like a full blown console experience until I started using the Pro controller.

TheFuzz

Does anyone else notice a creak or a slight squeak when they squeeze their Pro controller? I've noticed this even worse with my DS4 but I was curious if anyone else has noticed this.

It isn't bad and rarely do I notice during actual gameplay, but I was just curious.

drotahorror

I got my Pro Controller yesterday, it's very nice. But the right stick squeaks when I press it in a certain direction. It's a bit of a let down to have a defect like that right out the box. Contemplating sending it back.

I really didn't want to return it and was hoping it would work itself out but it's gotten worse. Now it makes a metallic clinking sound, like it's stretching a spring or some weird like sound. Only happens when I push the right stick to the left. It only does it if I make a small motion, not a full throw to the left. But since you're using the right stick to aim and use the camera, usually things that require little effort if used for precision, I hear these sounds and defects all the time.

bummer.

Gonna miss it until I can find another one for MSRP.

Synless

The battery life on this controller is fantastic. I have been playing Zelda since launch and have to have at least 35-40 hours into the game and my controller is still going strong.

Has anybody tried charging the Switch using the cable that comes with the controller and a regular iPad power adaptor (think it outputs around 2 amps)?

bionic77

The pro controller makes the joycons feel like a joke, it's a must have.
I like the pro controller a lot, but I also think the Joy Cons feel fantastic when playing in handheld mode.

It takes a little getting used to them in the grip. I must prefer pro to that.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I know this thread is old, and most people have probably made up their minds... but one more to add to the pot:

I've had the Pro Controller since Day One. The only way I've played Zelda on the TV after the first day - going back to the Joy Con now is awful. I believe the PC is a must-own if you intend to play on the TV.

The Hori one looks really good. Will get that one if/when I get a Switch.
Not wireless, has no gyro, and not sure if it has rumble - certainly not HD Rumble.

No gyro alone would be a big turn off for me. It means you'd have to grab another controller at certain points during Zelda. No gyro controls for Splatoon 2 either..

The_Lump

Banned
Back in stock on Amazon UK on 21/04. Mine is pre-ordered. Can't wait.

Joycon grip is fine for short-medium bursts, but after 4 or 5 hours it's not the comfiest controller for Zelda. Plus I needed it for Mario Kart :)

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Unfortunately it is worth it. Wish it came in the box as a standard controller actually. $70 is a big price to pay for any controller IMO, but it is very good compared to the joycons. It just means I spent 370 before tax and software for the Switch to play Zelda.

Thankfully it works standard with the Steam Link on PC I hear, so it's more than just a potential Switch accessory.

iphys

Half the time my D-pad mistakes down for left, left for up, up for right, right for up (and on rare occasions down), upward diagonals for just up, and downward diagonals for just down.

I've been calling the store where I bought mine to find out if they have any more stock so I can exchange mine, and they never have stock, so finally I just took it in today when I was trading in a game, and they took my details to call me when they get one in stock. The guy called another store that had 1 in their system to see if he could get it, but after he called the store it turned out it was for the same situation that they were holding for someone else that had pre-ordered and needed a replacement. As soon as I said my D-pad was defective he didn't even question it, so I feel like this is a known issue with the Pro controller, or maybe it was just that my store received a whole shipment of botched controllers and he knew it. I don't think it's all of them or you'd hear more widespread outrage about so many people paying such an expense just to get a controller with a D-pad only to have that D-pad not even work.

If you buy a Pro controller you should definitely go to the system settings and check your D-pad inputs thoroughly though. Assuming you can get one that works though, it does feel heavenly in your hands, and I find the charging cable useful for being able to charge my Switch without the AC adapter as well.

Absolutely worth it. Playing in "tabletop" mode with the official Nintendo case "stand" and the pro controller on my kitchen table is freaking AMAZING!

Interfectum

Is the HD rumble less noisy than the Joy-cons? I find it a bit distracting on joy-con, its quite a loud motor.

Yup, a lot of times I'm playing the Switch near a sleeping 5 month old baby on low volume... then all of a sudden rumble kicks in (Blaster Master) and I'm like holy shit WTFBBQ. Way too loud.

how are they supposed to do GCN VC without analog triggers? and if they're not planning on doing GCN VC, what the fuck are they doing?

the controller's fine, I've been playing Zelda with it.

Peterc

Its the best so far (dont know about xbox one pro) but much better and not as cheap plastic as xbox one controller. Still not that bad.

Gilby

How does it compare to the WiiU Pro?

That's my go to PC controller, on account of the awesome D-pad, digital triggers, and 200+ hour battery life.

How is the range on the pro controller compared to the joycons? A friend of mine wired up his entertainment system in a closet near his tv so everything is hidden from view. He can play Xbox One and PS4 fine but the Joycon connections seems to stutter sometimes. He's tempted to pick up a pro controller but doesn't know if it would solve the issue.

kaos424

Just got the pro controller on amazon warehouse deals for 62.99. Says damaged packaging. Hopefully the controller works.

Absolutely yes!

I love everything about it - it's the most ergonomic controller I feel Nintendo has ever produced and it just feels so right to play Zelda with!

Not

Banned
Yes. It's amazing. Feels so good. Haven't even tried playing Zelda with the Joy-Cons yet. Purchase absolutely worth it.

YBdisk

I'll ask one last time since no one seems to give a fuck about this. I Google searched for it but found nothing.

Does the pro controller support data over usb, aka a wired connection? I have all my devices close together and interference is something I don't like happening when I'm playing for example SSB4 online.

Has there been any word on this?

well, for me, i didn't want to spring for the pro controller on top of the system and zelda. I have put about 100 hours into BotW so far, using the joycons exclusively. now, i'm a big guy, and i have big hands, but the joycons are great. i play mostly with them in the cradle and i can't complain.

in fact i took a break to play Overwatch on my PS4 and the Dualshock4's feel enormous now, I almost prefer the joycons.

iphys

I'll ask one last time since no one seems to give a fuck about this. I Google searched for it but found nothing.

Does the pro controller support data over usb, aka a wired connection? I have all my devices close together and interference is something I don't like happening when I'm playing for example SSB4 online.

Has there been any word on this?

The first time you sync it, it tells you to connect it to the dock with the USB cable, so I feel like the USB has to be able to provide more than just power for that instruction to make any sense. Not sure if it automatically works wired when the usb cable is attached, or if there's a way to put the system in airplane mode while attached to the dock to force it to operate over USB though.

Soi-Fong

Re post from the official Switch thread.

So... My pro controller is giving me problems now and I don't know how to fix it. It just started randomly as well. Was just playing Waku Waku 7 and it started wiggin out and I noticed it when my character was moving left on its own. It's been good to me till today.

This controller has NOT been dropped or anything of the sort and has been babied.

Got a video of the issue. This is disappointing as heck since this has been my main controller for Zelda.

https://youtu.be/lPheT07krQ8

I'm putting in a request to Amazon for a replacement.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
was able to snatch one (the last unit they had in store) just yesterday, and while I do find they joycons comfortable enough for Zelda the Pro is another glorious story entirely. Feels just perfect (although sometimes I hit the home button instead of the +)

drotahorror

I'm putting in a request to Amazon for a replacement.

Maybe I should have gone the replacement route but I went for a refund. I figured I could snag one somewhere before amazon would get another shipment in. Looks like Pro controllers are just as hard to find as the console itself.

Okay.......I've had it since the 6th, played on it daily for at least 3-5 hours and the controller is only halfway drained! I've never had a console controller last this long(never had Wii U Pro Con which I heard lasts up to 80!) and it's seriously surprising the hell outta me....is it really around 40 hours? Seems like more lol. I thought it would've ran outta juice by Wednesday but it's still chugging along like a pro and it's f'in amazing since I've been checking the batteries on it daily. Also I haven't even charged it yet.....crazy.

Top Bottom