• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is "The Winds of Winter" ever coming out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cappa

Banned
Out of curiosity is there any precedent to an author taking this long between books of a very popular series?

I mean, I dont remember the Harry Potter books taking this long and yeah yeah I know its not the same.... but you know what I mean.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Him not finishing the last book is every fan's worry. I hope he leaves behind some very detailed outlines in case Plan B needs to happen (Plan B being that another author does his best to finish what GRRM started).

GRRM has stated in the past that he wouldn't let this happen.

Out of curiosity is there any precedent to an author taking this long between books of a very popular series?

Both Dance with Dragons and Wise Man's Fear came out in 2011, and their sequels are still without release dates. It took six years for the fourth Dark Tower book to come out after the third one ended on a massive cliff hanger.

I mean, I dont remember the Harry Potter books taking this long and yeah yeah I know its not the same.... but you know what I mean.

Robert Jordan took 2 to 3 years between books in the Wheel of Time. At the time I thought that was pretty long. Little did I know...

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Robert Jordan took 2 to 3 years between books in the Wheel of Time. At the time I thought that was pretty long. Little did I know...

He was actually pumping them out on a nearly yearly basis for a long time until he started getting older and the books got larger and more complex. I was always impressed with his pace actually considering how large each one was.

He's procrastinating because no one can give him a hard deadline and it's more fun to do whatever you want besides the thing that you should be doing.

Basically he needs a boss that can say it's due by April 2017 but they can't do that because he's too popular. He has all the leverage.

bengraven

Parris is our last hope. If he is truly so vindictive to not have a contingency plan than it will be up to her. I only hope she is more rational than him and doesn't suddenly lock up when he dies.

Either way, I'm not sure why you bring that up because I wasn't saying that taking a longer time means that it will be a better story. I'm saying that fans are demanding that the story be concluded without really considering whether it'd be of superior quality to do so. Like, I get the vibe that people don't care how they get the ending to the story or how it is so long as they get an ending. And I think that's a bad mentality to have.

It's an understandable response though. At some point people just want to know what happens because they are no longer as invested as they used to be and want it to be over.

Veelk

Banned
It's an understandable response though. At some point people just want to know what happens because they are no longer as invested as they used to be and want it to be over.

I don't think it is. If you're no longer invested, it doesn't matter how it ends. There's no real circumstance where I'd rather see a mediocre or bad ending. Like, I'd rather wait another 15 years before getting the last book if it meant I'd get a good ending out of it. The worst case scenerio I see of that is that by that time, I'll have forgotten most of the series, but all that means is that I'll be rereading the series, which I do anyway.

But I honestly never understood the need for a conclusion, even if it's a bad one. Conclusions are only enticing if you think they're going to be satisfying. Bad conclusions retroactively ruin series, making it difficult to enjoy things you previously liked. I want an ending, but not to the point where I don't care about quality. I'd rather have no ending than one that would ruin the entire series for me.

Frustration of that nature only comes from being invested, but having no feedback. For me, I solve that by just going to read something else. Constantly waiting on one single series is like watching a clock. Time is only going to move slower if you are paying attention.

I don't think it is. If you're no longer invested, it doesn't matter how it ends.

Frustration of that nature only comes from being invested, but having no feedback.

For me, I solve that by just going to read something else. Constantly waiting on one single series is like watching a clock. Time is only going to move slower if you are paying attention.

People that stay attached just enough to want to know how it ends are probably not following it especially closely to begin with. I'm not there, but I don't demand that everyone interested at all in these books be a super fan.

KonradLaw

I know there are novels with longer delays. I just can't remember the damn title. All I remember was that people were waiting 20+ years for it and it still hasn't come out and there were some huge ass worms on the cover (either of that novel or previous ones in the series).

I know there are novels with longer delays. I just can't remember the damn title. All I remember was that people were waiting 20+ years for it and it still hasn't come out and there were some huge ass worms on the cover (either of that novel or previous ones in the series).

Dune? That's cause the author died and his hack son and some other loser gave us one of the biggest PoS in sci-fi.

Veelk

Banned
People that stay attached just enough to want to know how it ends are probably not following it especially closely to begin with. I'm not there, but I don't demand that everyone interested at all in these books be a super fan.

I'm not asking that either. But a bad ending can turn anything good about the series to ashes. I feel like anyone who's asking for a conclusion at ANY cost whatsoever has never read a work where the ending was so bad that it makes even the previously good parts of a story unenjoyable. It removes your ability to enjoy even parts that were, at one time, good. That is truly the worst.

Honestly, if anything, you'd think it'd be the casual fans that would be like "Whatever, I'll get it when it's out"

Voras

I feel like people are being pretty unfair here. Writing is not some quick, easy process and different writers write at different speeds. Also GRRM is five lengthy books deep in his series so there's a lot to manage at that point.

Even Brandon Sanderson has taken 3 to 4 years between Stormlight Archive books and those aren't even quite as long as GRRM's last book. Sure Sanderson puts out a lot of smaller books but he also writes like a maniac, I'm pretty sure Rothfuss said Sanderson writes like 10 hours a day. Not everyone can do that obviously.

Yeah it has been 5 and a half years since the last GRRM book and he has released a number of preview chapters over the years so it's not like he isn't working on it.

People also need to chill it with the talk of him dying. That's a pretty messed up thing to say. Also he isn't that old and hasn't had any notable health problems.

Chris R

Book will be out this year.

Thought he'd have it out in time for the HBO season but I guess the latest post means its a fall release now

sammex

The Dark Tower series by King has been mentioned - he left 6 years between books 3 and 4, and when book 4 came out it was a almost entirely a flashback to the protagonists childhood told as a story around a campfire. When book 5 came out and continued the main story it was essentially 12 years later. Best example I can think of, but the Dark Tower is nowhere near as popular as ASOIAF, and book 4 is one of the best of the series.

On my 3rd time through the series. Currently on Feast and I still can't get enough. The Dorne storyline is just so good. He writes
Doran Martell
as meek only for you to realize that he was playing the long-game better than pretty much anyone else. Mind you, I do not watch the HBO television series, and
Martell's Fam
may end up sabotaging him, but Feast is such an integral part of the game of thrones (Not the book, but the actual chess match going on between the Lanisters, Dorne, Littlefinger, Highgarden, Casterly Rock, and Stannis.)

Winter will come. When it does, I'll be ready and grateful.

Famassu

GRRM was still expanding the scope of the books in ADwD insteading of focusing on the end game. Now the TV series will end in two years and there are only 13 episodes to make, I fear that GRRM is going to do everything he can to make the last books in the series quite different from the TV show. That will only lead to more plot bloat.
Well, he has gone on record to say that TWOW will stop the scope creep, or at least adding POV characters (which should mean the same thing). Of course there's a chance he has had to change plans and add new POV characters, but the fact that AFFC/ADWD grew the scope isn't anything too surprising considering it's basically the beginning of Part 2 in the larger story and considering what happened in ASOS created such a massive clusterfuck of a situation all over that it would inevidably create a new, even bigger conflict for power where the ones who caused the clusterfuck would try to hold on to the power gained while trouble is brewing all over the kingdom due to all the shit that happened during the recent war, past grievances etc.

We are about to be on our 4th President in the time of AGOT release to now... ffs

Look at it another way: The Star Wars original Trilogy was re-released, all 3 prequels shot and released, as well as the sequel trilogy NO ONE expect to get until the Disney buy, will also be shot and released.

All before this series finishes...

SpaceHorror

If he finishes TWoW this year I think he will finish the series. Even if he takes another 6 years he'll be 74. And I think he'll start on it right away as he said he made a huge mistake in not jumping right into Winds after finishing ADwD.

Now the real question is whether or not he can actually finish with seven books. If he adds any more I seriously doubt he'll finish the series.

jfkgoblue

Look at it another way: The Star Wars original Trilogy was re-released, all 3 prequels shot and released, as well as the sequel trilogy NO ONE expect to get until the Disney buy, will also be shot and released.

All before this series finishes...
Damn, and you just made it more depressing.

If he finishes TWoW this year I think he will finish the series. Even if he takes another 6 years he'll be 74. And I think he'll start on it right away as he said he made a huge mistake in not jumping right into Winds after finishing ADwD.

Now the real question is whether or not he can actually finish with seven books. If he adds any more I seriously doubt he'll finish the series.

Eight books is 100% at this point. There's no way he can finish it in two more books.

psychodino

Neo Member
I want George to finish the books as much as the next guy, but i also want him to take his time. A bad ending can ruin everything that came before. LOST, Penny Dreadful are just some of the examples of how bad endings can make everything that came before less good. So, i say, take all the time you need.

Anjelus_

J.R.R. Tolkien had other priorities other than writing Rings; full-time job, son fighting in WW2, etc. It's not even close to being the same thing.

GRRM is a known slowpoke. His publishers know it; HBO probably had an idea, but didn't realize how bad it would get. Best case scenario would've been for all the books to be done on time, but that was never likely to happen. Ideally GRRM wouldn't have given rights to make the show until after the series was finished.

As it is, there's been an obvious drop in the show's quality after they ran out of book material, which kinda sucks since seasons 1 - ~4.5 or so were great. It would've been great if it could've maintained season 1 - 3 quality all the way through, but alas...

I'm almost thankful that he's taking all this time. I've just started reading the Wheel of Time series and will gladly read the entire series in the meantime while waiting for the ASOIAF books.

The super-fan in me is really hoping that the remaining books are actually all going to be released at the same time and coincide with the ending of the HBO series. There's something artistic about how the books keep the reader on their toes mostly, and life imitating art etc.

I see no reason to be upset at the wait. History's shown he takes his time. I get people are invested in the story and the world but it's his baby not ours. I can't imagine how it must feel to create something and have millions of people begging you to rush it.

J.R.R. Tolkien had other priorities other than writing Rings; full-time job, son fighting in WW2, etc. It's not even close to being the same thing.

GRRM is a known slowpoke. His publishers know it; HBO probably had an idea, but didn't realize how bad it would get. Best case scenario would've been for all the books to be done on time, but that was never likely to happen. Ideally GRRM wouldn't have given rights to make the show until after the series was finished.

As it is, there's been an obvious drop in the show's quality after they ran out of book material, which kinda sucks since seasons 1 - ~4.5 or so were great. It would've been great if it could've maintained season 1 - 3 quality all the way through, but alas...

Season 6 was a return to form though so I don't know that it had a damning effect on the quality going forward.

SpaceWolf

Banned
On my 3rd time through the series. Currently on Feast and I still can't get enough. The Dorne storyline is just so good. He writes
Doran Martell
as meek only for you to realize that he was playing the long-game better than pretty much anyone else. Mind you, I do not watch the HBO television series

(Chuckles)

Lothar

Banned
Book will be out this year.

Thought he'd have it out in time for the HBO season but I guess the latest post means its a fall release now

I see you're new here to the world of GRRM. Let me depress you.

"As for me, I am getting back to work. There's good news on that front too -- A DANCE WITH DRAGONS is half-done!!!" GRRM 2005

"I have half a dozen different projects on my plate, but the big one is A DANCE WITH DRAGONS, and I am going to be pushing hard on that in the weeks and months to come, in hopes of wrapping it up by the end of the year." - GRRM 2006

"I am not a big believer in New Year resolutions, but I do have some goals for 2008, both personal and professional, and the most urgent of those remains A DANCE WITH DRAGONS." GRRM - 2007

"If I can deliver the book before the end of June, you'll see these in your favorite bookstore sometime this fall." - GRRM 2008

"I am trying to finish the book by June. I think I can do that. If I do, A DANCE WITH DRAGONS will likely be published in September or October." - GRRM Feb 2009

"It is going pretty well actually, I am hoping to finish it by September or October that is my goal." - GRRM July 2009

"We're hoping to have a finished manuscript by Christmas. He's told me he has five chapters left and bits of each chapter are done. He really wants it done by the end of the year. We really -- I mean really -- want to announce the pub date in January." - Anne Groel October 2010

APRIL 27, 2011 - A Dance of Dragons finished

Now here's GRRM on Winds of Winter, last New years.

We all wanted book six of A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE to come out before season six of the HBO show aired. Assuming the show would return in early April, that meant THE WINDS OF WINTER had to be published before the end of March, at the latest. For that to happen, my publishers told me, they would need the completed manuscript before the end of October. That seemed very do-able to me... in May. So there was the first deadline: Halloween.
Around about August, I had to face facts: I was not going to be done by Halloween. I cannot tell you how deeply that realization depressed me.

Early August saw me back east for my nephew's wedding and an appearance with the Staten Island Direwolves. I took advantage of the visit to have another sit down with my editors and publishers and told them that I didn't think I could deliver by Halloween. I thought they'd be sick about it... but I have to say, my editors and publishers are great, and they took it with surprising equanimity. (Maybe they knew it before I did). They already had contigencies in place. They had made plans to speed up production. If I could deliver WINDS OF WINTER by the end of the year, they told me, they could still get it our before the end of March.

I was immensely relieved. I had two whole extra months! I could make that, certainly. August was an insane month, too much travel, too many other obligations... but I'd have September, October, and now November and December as well. Once again I was confident I could do it.

So in May 2015, he thought he would have it finished by October 2015. In Aug 2015, he was confident that he was going to have it done by the end of 2015. 2 whole more months! Now he isn't even confident that it'll be out in 2017. Since he's always late with his predictions, that's really bad news.

I want George to finish the books as much as the next guy, but i also want him to take his time. A bad ending can ruin everything that came before. LOST, Penny Dreadful are just some of the examples of how bad endings can make everything that came before less good. So, i say, take all the time you need.

Take his time? It's been 16 years since a truly good book in this series has been released.

Whatever talent Martin once had is gone. I doubt he finishes, and on the off chance he does I doubt the final books are anything other than complete disappointments.

I see you're new here to the world of GRRM. Let me depress you.

Now here's GRRM on Winds of Winter, last New years.

So in May 2015, he thought he would have it finished by October 2015. In Aug 2015, he was confident that he was going to have it done by the end of 2015. 2 whole more months! Now he isn't even confident that it'll be out in 2017. Since he's always late with his predictions, that's really bad news.

Damn, this is like reading those old Nintendo quotes where they're always optimistic about the future but the continue falling into the same trap:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100006922&postcount=39

GRRM has stated in the past that he wouldn't let this happen.

This may very well be the case, but what would end up happening anyways is the books would be written by someone else taking cues from the TV show to end it instead. GRRM may not give a shit, but i guarantee it gets done no matter what. Whether it's Martin's vision or not is the question...

Lothar

Banned
Take his time? It's been 16 years since a truly good book in this series has been released.

Whatever talent Martin once had is gone. I doubt he finishes, and on the off chance he does I doubt the final books are anything other than complete disappointments.

In his defense, it's been 16 years since he wrote a book. Since FoC and ADWD were two halves and we're still waiting for the conclusion and climax of that one book due to it being cut in editing. Oh wait, I guess that's not a defense.

eot

Banned
This may very well be the case, but what would end up happening anyways is the books would be written by someone else taking cues from the TV show to end it instead. GRRM may not give a shit, but i guarantee it gets done no matter what. Whether it's Martin's vision or not is the question...
I imagine he has some say over what happens to it after he's gone. If he doesn't want it finished then just leave it, I'm sure the books mean more to him than they do to any one of us.

What? No. If GRRM and his estate don't want more books they cannot happen. No one has the rights to do it without their permission. Maybe GRRM could have a change of mind, but it's not happening otherwise.

Ratrat

um...like all the popular fantasy novels now? Where the hell is The Thorn of Emberlain? Doors of Stone? Oathbringer? Even the previous books in those series took years to release.

Also...this could be the year we see all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom