• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Zelda series REALLY formulaic? Is it in need of an overhaul?

The Boat

The opening is one of the reasons I consider LTTP to be the most "perfect" expression of the basic Zelda formula of any game in the series.

Of course, I think it would be difficult to replicate the sheer efficiency of LTTP's intro in part because 3D games by their nature require a bit more explanation of everything you can do in a 3D environment.

In spite of the hate it got, I actually thought Skyward Sword's intro was the second best of the 3D games, as its "tutorial" act is actually important for the overall plot of the game and setting up characterization for the primary cast members who remain relevant for the entire game.

My favorite start-up section for a 3D Zelda is The Wind Waker; I like the Forsaken Fortress, go figure, and felt that TWW came very close to the LTTP ideal but translated into a 3D and physically larger world.

At the time I though WW was close to LTTP in terms of ideals, but I think SS is much, much closer, mainly because the underworld is pretty much LTTP's overworld in 3D. It's filled with stuff to do and enemies to fight instead of the usual "empty" overworld and the art style is also very reminiscent of LTTP.

Zelda is a hardcore franchise, but Nintendo is trying its damnest to ensure that everyone - from the most casual and video game illiterate - is on board the latest Zelda adventure, which explains the nauseating handholding and assistance elements. Instead of cutting the fat in the convoluted formula and returning the gameplay to its more simplistic and primal roots to make it more casual accessible, Nintendo insists on keeping the fat collected on the franchise during the course of 4 generations and tacking on "catch-up" tutorials for those who've been out of the loop for those 4 generations at the expense of everyone else.

Approaching a new island and seeing it emerge in the distance was really awesome. However, the rest of the ocean was so empty and boring to explore. Not to mention the enemies that popped up while sailing annoyed the piss out of me. Still a fantastic game, but searching for the triforce pieces at the end was awful.

I liked the sailing part except for the fact that the islands were so small. Windfall town was awesome, too bad the rest of the game lacked good towns.

BillyBats

Banned
I will preface my comment by saying that I haven't played Skyward Sword as I sold my Wii by then, but I have played every Zelda before that.

Zelda is way too formulaic and that is what drove me away from the series. I've been playing this game going on almost 30 years. You still have the master sword, you still have bombs, arrows, ruppees in every chest, you still have your boomerang....etc. etc.

They need to mix it up. Make killing enemies worth it. I always hated in Zelda games that enemies didn't mean shit. You didn't get exp and they didn't drop weapons or armor. Why can't Link wear chain mail, or plate armor, or leather armor? Why the same outfit, all the time? I hate the fact that you can ignore enemies and be fine. Why can't Link level up? Why can't he learn new abilities?

They need to make the overworld much much more than the main dungeons. Where are the hidden stashes with something other than a heart piece? How about we find a new sword? A boomerang that is on fire and leaves a trail of flames when you throw it? How about jumping puzzles from games like Guild Wars 2. Unfortunately, this reliance on formula has painted Nintendo into a corner creatively. I don't want to go through the work of collecting this or killing that to get more rupees or more bombs.

Integrate Pokemon into the game. Why Nintendo has not introduced pokemon into other games confuses me. Link should be able to hunt pokemon in a Zelda game, use them in battle, trade them with friends, and transfer them to the handheld. Having pokemon in the Zelda universe makes more sense than it does having them in a real life setting.

Learn something from Skyrim. Yes, I know GAF hates anything Skyrim but the haters HAVE to admit one thing the game does right. When it plops you in the world and says "go" and you have that feeling of "holy shit, I can go anywhere and do anything." it creates an excitement that many games can't replicate. Zelda used to be one of those games but they have let the formula hamstring them. As a gamer, you know you have to get a special item to beat a boss in a dungeon. You know you will find a compass in a chest. You know bombs, arrows, and rupees will be in every chest. They have to get rid of the hand holding and let the player discover again.

A kickass Zelda will make me buy a Wii U as it made me buy a N64 and a Gamecube. I'm just afraid that Nintendo is adverse to taking risks with this series and we will get more of the same.

Zelda needs less hand-holding and higher difficulty. Drop the lock and key mechanic (cracked wall = keyhole, bomb = key) and put in a huge world that is difficult to solve because of its hugeness, and has no cracks in the wall, so to speak. Make secrets really secret. Make combat physically tough, and not a game of simon says (I hold my sword this way, so you attack that way) and more actual realistic combat. Cut the dungeon specified order, let it be free and open. Basically, plop the player into a demanding world, let them fail and learn to BEAT the game, not finish the game. Thats the Zelda I want.

I will preface my comment by saying that I haven't played Skyward Sword as I sold my Wii by then, but I have played every Zelda before that.

Zelda is way too formulaic and that is what drove me away from the series. I've been playing this game going on almost 30 years. You still have the master sword, you still have bombs, arrows, ruppees in every chest, you still have your boomerang....etc. etc.

They need to mix it up. Make killing enemies worth it. I always hated in Zelda games that enemies didn't mean shit. You didn't get exp and they didn't drop weapons or armor. Why can't Link wear chain mail, or plate armor, or leather armor? Why the same outfit, all the time? I hate the fact that you can ignore enemies and be fine. Why can't Link level up? Why can't he learn new abilities?

They need to make the overworld much much more than the main dungeons. Where are the hidden stashes with something other than a heart piece? How about we find a new sword? A boomerang that is on fire and leaves a trail of flames when you throw it? How about jumping puzzles from games like Guild Wars 2. Unfortunately, this reliance on formula has painted Nintendo into a corner creatively. I don't want to go through the work of collecting this or killing that to get more rupees or more bombs.

Integrate Pokemon into the game. Why Nintendo has not introduced pokemon into other games confuses me. Link should be able to hunt pokemon in a Zelda game, use them in battle, trade them with friends, and transfer them to the handheld. Having pokemon in the Zelda universe makes more sense than it does having them in a real life setting.

Learn something from Skyrim. Yes, I know GAF hates anything Skyrim but the haters HAVE to admit one thing the game does right. When it plops you in the world and says "go" and you have that feeling of "holy shit, I can go anywhere and do anything." it creates an excitement that many games can't replicate. Zelda used to be one of those games but they have let the formula hamstring them. As a gamer, you know you have to get a special item to beat a boss in a dungeon. You know you will find a compass in a chest. You know bombs, arrows, and rupees will be in every chest. They have to get rid of the hand holding and let the player discover again.

A kickass Zelda will make me buy a Wii U as it made me buy a N64 and a Gamecube. I'm just afraid that Nintendo is adverse to taking risks with this series and we will get more of the same.

Link get exp and level up in Zelda 2.

I've been a vocal proponent of this so-called shake-up of the Zelda formula for years, but the more I've reflected on what I want and what I've outlined in the past, the more I realize I'm not asking for the right thing. I feel that asking for too much of a change, and too many changes, will result in a game that's no longer a Zelda game, but something else. While I love seeing new things come out of the industry, I feel that if Nintendo was going to make such radical, sweeping changes to Zelda that they should just turn those ideas into a new series/IP.

I do wish they'd just wipe the slate clean and say they're starting fresh with the series, making a clean break from the released games and their history. I don't care what side of the fence you sit regarding Zelda lore and chronology, but I do think there is something there that can draw players further into the world, and rather than continue on this convoluted track the series is on, just start over.

I would love to see the return of a large, interconnected overworld, but I hope it won't be so sparsely populated. Density is more important than vast landscapes devoid of activity. I would also love to see the developers try to incorporate more of the freedom you had in earlier games, specifically the original, to tackle dungeons/objectives in multiple orders. The sense of exploration in Zelda has been lost IMO over the years, with a newfound focus on dungeons, puzzles, and items. Those are still important pieces, but the exploration factor rounded out what I loved about Zelda games.

Finally, I'd like to see them expand upon the quest system they introduced in Skyward Sword, and look back at their side quests in the past and figure out a way to make them feel more integral to the main objectives somehow. Or at the least, make them more comprehensive in that maybe they have narrative threads that give you further insight into the world rather than just fetch quests for heart containers. I was so excited to hear about the quest system in Skyward Sword, and then when I played through the game I realized it wasn't what I expected and just more of the same.

Terra

Zelda is in need of some new elements. But BEWARE becoming something too Fable 2-ish or Skyrim-ish. Although good games, they are not Zeldas.

RagnarokX

Zelda is a hardcore franchise, but Nintendo is trying its damnest to ensure that everyone - from the most casual and video game illiterate - is on board the latest Zelda adventure, which explains the nauseating handholding and assistance elements. Instead of cutting the fat in the convoluted formula and returning the gameplay to its more simplistic and primal roots to make it more casual accessible, Nintendo insists on keeping the fat collected on the franchise during the course of 4 generations and tacking on "catch-up" tutorials for those who've been out of the loop for those 4 generations at the expense of everyone else.

These "catch-up" tutorials don't exist in Skyward Sword. There is ONE thing that they make you do that was not a new mechanic, and that was Z-targeting a guy. Yes, being told that a boss door is a boss door and that my health is low is annoying, but they are very small parts of the game that don't infringe on the actual difficulty. It's the most difficult 3D Zelda by far.

I do think it needs an overhaul. I'd like it to be less structured in how you progress the story. I'm really hoping for something Similar to Skyrim in terms of huge environments and maybe the option to change classes, like a more spell focused Link or an Assassin Link, not very likely though.

I'm sure whatever they do next will be unexpected and blow us all away though.

The Boat

I don't understand if this is a joke post or not. I'm afraid it's not.

RagnarokX

You should really play Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess, man. He's been wearing chain mail since TP. He learns new abilities in TP. Skyward Sword's combat is not meaningless; every enemy is like a puzzle that you have to think about to defeat. You can't just tap a button to kill enemies and hold the shield button to make yourself invincible. The surface overworld is very dense with things to do. You don't just run through a sparse empty environment, you got shit to do to progress.

You don't even get the master sword until very late in the game, and the hylian shield is a sidequest item. They don't even HAVE the boomerang; they replaced it with a completely new item. Most of the items are new.

I don't remember reading that pokemon part when I hit reply, so I'm assuming this is a joke post, but I'll leave this as some people have been arguing points similar to it.

The Boat

OK professor, educate me. For fucks sake man I just responded with some ideas.

Well for starters, you want Zelda to be an RPG. If you want that, you shouldn't be playing Zelda, you should be playing... an RPG. If it was just about that, sure, my reply would have consisted of that. But the Pokémon part? Really? You want Nintendo to put Pokémon catching in Zelda? This is one of the silliest things I've ever read, so I assumed it could be a joke post. Unfortunately it's not.

CorvoSol

Here are the things I feel Zelda could improve upon (note that I still fall into the camp of people who believe in the formula.):

1.)Give me a reason to care about exploring that is not monetary. Everybody always wants to go explore in a Zelda game, but no one ever talks about why. I need a reason other than just walking for walking's sake. Rupees are a fine reward occasionally, but give me a beautiful vista to see, or a stump where Link sits down and takes off his hat, or water he dips his feet in. This ties in to number 2.
2.)Go back to non-dungeon items that aren't just bottles. In A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and Majora's Mask you could find items that weren't in dungeons. From Wind Waker on, though, that number has been kind of decreasing. ALTTP had an Ice Rod I remember finding as a kid and thinking was awesome, and the hellish maze to get the Cane of Byrna, or the gravestone with the Magic Cape underneath. There are too few items in Zelda nowadays. I loved Skyward Sword, but you get the barest of minimums of items in that game. ALTTP and the two Oracle games you could open the subscreen and feel like Hylian Batman with your utility bag of amazing gadgets. Now earrings pass for a legitimate item in a Zelda.
3.)Give me more upgrades. Where the hell are my hover boots? My Biggoron/GreatFairy's Sword? Magic Armor was cool in Twilight Princess, but like, where were my magic arrows? Skyward Sword had NO optional tunics. Neither did Wind Waker. I mean yeah, neither did the Oracle games, but getting the Red or Blue Tunic is always fun.
4.)Roc's Feather and Sword Beams. Skyward Sword brought the latter back into 3D, but can we please get the former, too? Roc's Feather/Cape is the most fun item.

I thought the motion plus controls for combat in Skyward Sword were fun, they only became frustrating fighting the electric bokoblins. A world map full of things to do, like ALttP or the GBC games would be glorious, but the 4 above are what I want most.

Oh, and no more touch-only controls for handheld Zelda games.

BillyBats

Banned
Well for starters, you want Zelda to be an RPG. If you want that, you shouldn't be playing Zelda, you should be playing... an RPG. If it was just about that, sure, my reply would have consisted of that. But the Pokémon part? Really? You want Nintendo to put Pokémon catching in Zelda? This is one of the silliest things I've ever read, so I assumed it could be a joke post. Unfortunately it's not.

What does Nintedno have to possibly lose with doing something new. That's the inherent problem with Zelda. It's old. It's formulaic. It needs to spice things up. And why is the Pokemon part silly? Why? Yes, it's a far out idea, but tell me why? It's your type of thinking, and many, many others, that has led Nintendo into this stale area. "Zelda's not an rpg, IT HAS TO BE LIKE THIS OR IT"S NOT ZELDA!!!" Who says? Great, so we can expect more of the same, got it.

BillyBats

Banned
You should really play Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess, man. He's been wearing chain mail since TP. He learns new abilities in TP. Skyward Sword's combat is not meaningless; every enemy is like a puzzle that you have to think about to defeat. You can't just tap a button to kill enemies and hold the shield button to make yourself invincible. The surface overworld is very dense with things to do. You don't just run through a sparse empty environment, you got shit to do to progress.

You don't even get the master sword until very late in the game, and the hylian shield is a sidequest item. They don't even HAVE the boomerang; they replaced it with a completely new item. Most of the items are new.

I don't remember reading that pokemon part when I hit reply, so I'm assuming this is a joke post, but I'll leave this as some people have been arguing points similar to it.

I may try Skyward Sword if I get a Wii u. Also, explain why the Pokemon thing is a joke? Why is pokemon so sacred? Talk about another stale fucking series that needs a reboot. Sure, it sells well, but it's the same game over and over and over. So, why couldn't you integrate pokemon into the Zelda universe? Instead of just calling it a joke, explain and have a discussion. The Zelda universe is stale, the topic asked if it needs an overhaul. I provide a real fucking overhaul. People call it a joke. Why?

Meelow

Banned
I don't know if this is appropriate for this thread but this is some of the things I want in Zelda Wii U.

Overworld
I want Zelda Wii U to have the best over world, I want it to have a huge open over world that is non linear, I want explorable forests (non linear ones), Twilight Princess beta showed an explorable forest which of course was taken out of the game for some unknown reason.

I want hidden caves, swamps, lakes, etc. Anything adventures.

Cities/Towns/Villages
I want 2-3 big cities, 4-5 Castle towns and about 8 little towns/villages with content to do of course. I pretty much want this to be a huge game.

I'd love if Castle Town took these designs.
1_HyruleCity3.bmp
zeldatpbeta10.jpg

Art Style
This is the first HD Zelda, If Nintendo cares about showing off the power of Wii U and what Zelda could look like than they should keep the Tech demo/Twilight Princess style, especially since they already showed us, it would just be mean to do another Space World where they should us a more realistic Link and than give us Wind Waker (Wind Waker was amazing btw), if they don't want to hear another backlash than keeping the tech demo/Twilight Princess style is the best thing to do.
Wii-U-Zelda-Changes-400x228.png

Style of game
I want the game to have a dark feel to the game, like Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess (and Ocarina of Time), I love the Dark Zelda games and since we got Skyward Sword which was a light hearted game I think having a dark hearted game is what the game needs to feel fresh (Phantom Hourglass - Skyward Sword have a light hearted feel to the game) so yes I think the first Zelda Wii U game should have a dark feel.

Yes I have massive expectations lol
:(

Another poster hit it right on the head, there needs to be more items you can find in the overworld. Items that can unlock other areas that lead to more items or some sort of sword or health powerup (or something cooler).

The Boat

What does Nintedno have to possibly lose with doing something new. That's the inherent problem with Zelda. It's old. It's formulaic. It needs to spice things up. And why is the Pokemon part silly? Why? Yes, it's a far out idea, but tell me why? It's your type of thinking, and many, many others, that has led Nintendo into this stale area. "Zelda's not an rpg, IT HAS TO BE LIKE THIS OR IT"S NOT ZELDA!!!" Who says? Great, so we can expect more of the same, got it.

I may try Skyward Sword if I get a Wii u. Also, explain why the Pokemon thing is a joke? Why is pokemon so sacred? Talk about another stale fucking series that needs a reboot. Sure, it sells well, but it's the same game over and over and over. So, why couldn't you integrate pokemon into the Zelda universe? Instead of just calling it a joke, explain and have a discussion. The Zelda universe is stale, the topic asked if it needs an overhaul. I provide a real fucking overhaul. People call it a joke. Why?

Shoehorning elements from other genres just because you like them doesn't make for out of the box thinking. If I don't like racing sims I don't go in there thinking "man they really should put some missiles and red shells in here because I think it's getting stale". It doesn't mean some ideas from other genres can't work obviously, but having them as something mandatory in order to make the game good is ridiculous. It's pretty much saying "I don't like this game, it's not like that other game, therefore it's bad".

The Pokémon idea... man, I don't know where to start. I'm sorry, but I find it so absurd it's kind of hard to explain why. Pokémon is Pokémon, Zelda is Zelda, their universes are completely different and there's no reason for them to combine, other than references and cameos. If you want to play a game where you can capture Pokémon, train them and trade them, there is a pretty cool series out there called Pokémon where you can do it.

Roman

What is the last Pokemon game that you have played?

RagnarokX

It's an extremely absurd proposition. It would change Zelda into a different kind of game.

Pokemon is stale and never changes? Except, you know, for the major changes that were made to the series in Gen IV and V? Have you even played one since Red and Blue?

Violet_0

Banned
regarding collectibles, nothing beats MM's masks. Simple, yet brilliant way to make the game more interesting, adds depth and gives the player this "gotta find them all" mentality. And when they're already at it, just make MM2, set 100 years in the future with a steampunk version Clock Town that sprawls over all of Termina.

I would a prefer a "new legend of zelda' in the style of new super mario bros. Make it similar to link to the past.

3D zeldas have been boring, imo.

Roto13

1) Zelda is not an RPG. 2) Link "levels up" by getting new swords and heart containers, and he "learns new abilities" through new sword techniques in just about every game since Ocarina of time, and every new item he gets is a new ability as well.

Of course, with that paragraph about Pokemon, I can't be sure if your post is even serious or not.

Davey Cakes

I don't think so. Having dungeons is the most formulaic aspect of the games, and they're what make the Zelda experience worthwhile.

Skyward Sword stuck to a lot of the core Zelda items and area types, but it branched out in a lot of ways that I don't think people realize. Weapon upgrades, Silent Realm sections (which are underrated and a huge step up from TP's Tears of Light), flying, unconventional items such as the Beetle, engaging motion-based combat, stamina meter, etc. The game was flawed in its execution with the Sky and some of the side quests but in terms of how the ground areas were presented, everything seemed somewhat fresh. In the end it's just forest, volcano, and desert, but the designs of them felt nothing like rehashes from previous Zelda games.

If anything, Nintendo just needs to keep doing what they're doing. The series doesn't need and overhaul, it just needs to be refined in certain areas. Trim a little of the fat. But a lot of the recent ideas and concepts have been good at their cores.

I will agree that they need to take things further with exploration and rewards. Skyward Sword fixed this slightly over TP (where most of the secrets were just rupee chests) by offering rare materials for upgrade, but there need to be even better rewards for going out of your way to backtrack and explore areas. I'm thinking of the Medallions in A Link to the Past. Items that are mostly optional but enhance the experience in some way, opening up more options for attack or defense. Going through a lot of work just to find a Silver or Gold rupee or Heart Piece just doesn't cut it anymore.

BlackJace

Can we not do the whole elemental dungeon progression for the umpteenth time?
You know what I'm talking about:

Forest
Fire
Water

---PLOT TWIST---

Earthen
Light
Shadow
Castle taken over by Ganondorf

Davey Cakes

Hey, Skyward Sword had the Lanayru Mining Facility and Sandship. Those were great. And even that game's version of a water temple (Ancient Cistern) had a shadow-like section.

Twilight Princess had Snowpeak Ruins, City in the Sky, and Temple of Time. Those were also great and not completely bound to the elements. The Palace of Twilight was different as well.

The series could use a bit more variety but it's not like it's reached NSMB levels of predictability yet. If anything, Skyward Sword made strides to push the series forward and often succeeded. People saying that the series needs an overhaul--while not having actually played Skyward Sword--are very much doing it wrong.

RagnarokX

Can we not do the whole elemental dungeon progression for the umpteenth time?
You know what I'm talking about:

Forest
Fire
Water

---PLOT TWIST---

Earthen
Light
Shadow
Castle taken over by Ganondorf
Skyward Sword:

Forest
Fire
Mine/Techno/Time/Sand
---PLOT TWIST---
Water/Dark
Fire 2
Ship/Time
Sliding puzzle amalgamation dungeon.

BlackJace

Skyward Sword:

Forest
Fire
Mine/Techno/Time/Sand
---PLOT TWIST---
Water/Dark
Fire 2
Ship/Time
Sliding puzzle amalgamation dungeon.

Interesting (haven't played SS yet actually). Even little deviations are an improvement. While I like Twilight Princess, it was crazy that the dungeon progression basically mirrored OoT's.

Rash said:
The Palace of Twilight was different as well.

It was the Shadow dungeon of the game.
It wasn't bad, I quite liked it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So far I've beaten the second temple in Skyward Sword, and I don't think I've ever been as bored with any Zelda in the first couple of hours as I am with this one (yes, even moreso than either TP or WW).

Y'all know I'm a pretty big Zelda fan, so I'm gonna be continuing anyway, but please tell me it gets better.

Davey Cakes

Y'all know I'm a pretty big Zelda fan, so I'm gonna be continuing anyway, but please tell me it gets better.
I enjoyed the first sections of the game more than a lot of other people. The start in Skyloft was okay and I was basically having a great time as early as Skyview Temple.

Lanayru Desert is probably the best part of the game. Every time you go there it does something fresh. So yeah, I'd say SS gets MUCH better from the second dungeon forward.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Sailing the ocean in Wind Waker was probably one of the better examples of exploration in Zelda.
Shame there wasn't jack-shit to find on the islands...
I seriously loved that part too but come on.... You check the island and all you can find are a few rubins you can'T pick up because your inventory is full anyway or heart-parts you don't need because the game is riddiculusly easy even without the additional heart.

Sorry, but IMO that made the exploration useless and boring as anything.

Brickhunt

One of the reason I want a Zelda game by Retro is the possibilities of dungeons. I think Metroid Prime did a really great job in making it's areas not only well designed, but also with great puzzles and great art.

Regarding what kind of dungeon I would like, my inner fanboy would fall in love with a Ghost Nautilus-like submarine. A ghostly themed, moving dungeon that is underwater and runs in low technology/steampunk. Besides marine fauna as enemies, also have diving-suit wearing Stalfos/Darknuts. Water/Steam Pluzzles. For the sake of a Julius Verme reference, a giant Kraken boss battle outside the submarine that uses Grappling Hooks, Iron Boots, anything that makes it a climatic fight.

eXistor

So far I've beaten the second temple in Skyward Sword, and I don't think I've ever been as bored with any Zelda in the first couple of hours as I am with this one (yes, even moreso than either TP or WW).

Don't know what to tell you, I'm a huge Zelda fan and I loved every minute of SS, but yes, it does indeed get better. I feel Skyward Sword's sweetspot is from where you are now up until the 5th dungeon (dungeons 3, 4 and 5 are pretty great, especially 4) including everything inbetween. After that the game is still great imo, but it never reaches those lofty heights again. I consider that whole stretch of game to be amongst the best Zelda has ever been.

Pitmonkey

Not to get off topic, but I just went back and watched the TP reveal with Miyamoto. Holy shit man, the electricity in the room in unmatched.

Roto13

Shame there wasn't jack-shit to find on the islands...
I seriously loved that part too but come on.... You check the island and all you can find are a few rubins you can'T pick up because your inventory is full anyway or heart-parts you don't need because the game is riddiculusly easy even without the additional heart.

Sorry, but IMO that made the exploration useless and boring as anything.

What would you like to find?

RagnarokX

The Earth temple was a fire temple, don't lie Nintendo.

Well, OoT had:
Forest
Fire
Water
--PLOT TWIST--
Forest 2
Fire 2
Water 2
Shadow
Light/Desert
Combo Dungeon

Earth Temple was at least more interesting than Dodongo's Cave and Goron Mines with its boulder rolling mechanics, and the Fire Sanctuary had some clever puzzles.

secret items, weapons etc.

Yeah, I agree. Zelda in general needs more secret weapons and items. In Wind Waker and DS games you could do some quests to get the hurricane spin attack and a flame-sword and Skyward Sword, you could do a challenge to get Hylian shield. But it would be cooler if you could enter secret areas and shit to find these items/upgrades.

They moved forward with the item-crafting system in SS, but they can go further.

Why? You don't like trying out that nifty new item you just got in an awesome boss battle?
For the 50th time? No how fun is it to know that the dungeon item will damage the boss before the battle even starts.

You do find those things. Well, not weapons. But upgrades and items.

Not nearly enough. There needs to be more secrets in Zelda that are not rupees and heart pieces or upgrades on bombs and shit.

Top Bottom