• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a better way to do this? Switching between monitor and tv with windows 11

I have a monitor and a TV. Both are pretty much next to each other. There are times when I want to switch to my TV and game from my recliner. What I have to do is:

1. In windows select display settings
2. Choose 'show only on 2' where 2 is my TV. When I'm done and want to go back to my monitor I then repeat this process and choose 1
cefP2dr.png

3. Turn off my monitor and use the TV

Now, it sounds easy enough but it gets tedious over time. Is there a better way to do all this?

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Cant you run everything in windowed mode and then drag to the TV and then alt enter or whatever to make it full screen? It might require a mouse and KB next to you I guess.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Just have it set to mirror display? I used to use an HDMI switch, which worked 99% of the time but every now and then would have trouble with the hand-off.

YCoCg

Use Steam Big Picture? Set your TV as the main location for Big Picture and that way you only have to click the Icon on your monitor screen and it'll switch over to the TV and launch the game selection screen there.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
61SePZyhVaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This is what I use (actually, the Plus version). There's a plugin that lets you toggle which monitor is your "Primary" with a single button press. This one, I think...

You can also set this up with the programs you want to run. I have a whole row of "games I'm playing now".

Me, doing what OP wants to do: 1) Press button to toggle TV as primary monitor 2) Press button of game I want to play 3) Play

I use a program called DisplayFusion for this, you can find it on steam. I have separate monitor profiles setup, one for my monitor and one for my TV, and I can toggle between them with a keyboard shortcut. Works perfectly

BossLackey

Gold Member
Never used 11 , but on Windows 10 Windows key+P is a display selection shortcut

I use this constantly. Have my PS5 and Switch hooked to main monitor and then monitor audio out to a ground loop noise isolator and then into PC audio in and set to listen to that source which gives me a channel just for my consoles.

So I just do Win + P, select 2nd monitor only, Switch input to HDMI switch and switch that to whichever console. So I can have all audio together and listen to music or a podcast or have a movie/video on 2nd monitor while playing on games (though I also play PC of course).

It works very well.

Banned
Never used 11 , but on Windows 10 Windows key+P is a display selection shortcut

yep. Win + P is an easy way to switch your monitors. my Dualsense has a macro for Win + P, with which I can blindly switch to my TV if I want.

Last edited:
Top Bottom