• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a Next-Gen game you're afraid will be bad?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I've pretty much realized that FFXV will never come out as good as people hope.

Luckily I have a copies of Chorno Trigger and TWEWY availible to me.

Other than that,

I think I would cry if this game somehow turned out to be bad. I know it won't be though.

I look at it this way, based on Monolith's other console RPGs they've been on an ascendant scale:

-Xenosaga series - sucked
-Baten Kaitos - an interesting game, although heavily flawed
-Baten Kaitos: Origins - a great game that fixed many of the issues with the first game
-Xenoblade - game of the generation OMG
-Xenoblade X - ???

Phil S.

Banned
It seems every time we get to a point where we stop using "next gen" to call the current gen, the actual next gen has arrived! hehe I don't doubt it'll work like that this gen too! :)

Anyway, I'm thinking The Order. Just the way the devs are approaching it doesn't sit well with me and waves some red flags.

benjammin

I'm worried the order won't be as great as all of the hype. The last couple demos didn't sell me on the gameplay even though the game itself looks gorgeous.

I've already written off FFXV. The huge gaps of time without any information make me feel like the game won't be done for quite some time. And after ff13 my expectations are very low.

Dysun

FFXV, Square Enix last chance with me. After the PS3 era I hardly give a shit, but if this one sucks too then I am completely done with them

StuBurns

Banned
I think GZs was crap, so I'll be fine if TPP is bad, I expect it to be.

I'd be really sad if The Witness is bad. I've waited so long for Blow's next game, it'd really suck if it wasn't great.

I don't think it'll turn out outright bad...in fact I'm confident it'll turn out very well; the stuff we've seen so far looks phenomenal...but I remain slightly concerned about The Witcher 3. It's just an extremely ambitious undertaking and I wonder if CDPR really has what it takes to pull it off in a highly polished fashion. I hope they don't bite off more than they could chew. It could mean the difference between a mere "very good" game, and a potential all-time great.

Lords of the Fallen - it seems like its biggest strength is that it's heavily inspired by Dark Souls....and its biggest weakness is that it's heavily inspired by Dark Souls. I'm concerned that the game will lack its own identity, and fall into the "decent, but I'd rather play a Souls game" trap. And I'm also suspicious of how much actual environment variety is in the game...considering just about all they've shown us is that castle environment.

Final Fantasy XV, for obvious reasons. That said, everything that's been shown so far looks outstanding.

And naturally I'm a little concerned about the new Zelda, considering I was disappointed with WW, TP and Skyward Sword (although none of 'em are bad games).

pnoozi

Banned
AC Unity (especially with recent news), Far Cry 4, and The Division. Ubisoft needs to step up their game with regard to optimization. All these games look amazing but I'm afraid they'll run like shit.

Dr. Buni

The only next gen title I am looking forward is Super Smash Bros and I am pretty sure it will be great, so... nope.

pnoozi

Banned
I think GZs was crap, so I'll be fine if TPP is bad, I expect it to be.

I'd be really sad if The Witness is bad. I've waited so long for Blow's next game, it'd really suck if it wasn't great.

What was wrong with GZ (besides the price)? I thought it improved on previous games in a lot of ways.

It's always a risk with every game that gets released. Just as often as some turn out worse than we expected, some also surprise us, so it balances out in the end I feel.

random25

Final Fantasy XV, if that will ever arrive that is.

So far, all of my expected upcoming games are shaping up to be great.

I'm a little worried that The Evil Within will be releasing before it's ready. That being said, I can deal with a lack of polish if it's still a strong survival horror experience.

That's what worries me the most. If the game ends up as more RE4-esque action bullshit, it may as well not even exist. The whole game's promise is based around Mikami's return to survival horror, and more RE4/SotD would not be that.

Halo 5, worried they're gonna kill off Chief and worried they're gonna screw up the multiplayer again.

At least there's the collection.

Also, whatever the next main Mario game is. I liked 3D World and I liked NSMBU but I'm still waiting for the Wii U's equivalent to SM64 or Galaxy and I'm worried it won't come.

Bad? No. Concerned? MGSV and The Order 1886.

With MGSV all about the story. I'm supremely confident the game will play great. With MGSIV the story was bad but it had enough nostalgia and cool themes built into the game for me to overlook the story. Plus there is something about exposition in MSG that reminds me of a great, cheesy monologue from a villain in a 90's movie even of it's just Snake and co. going over the situation. But with MGSV and its more serious, darker themes I don't know how it will play out. Will it have mind blowing twists that break continuity? Will it not have enough goofy Kojima humor? Granted, considering I love me some MGSIV I'm sure I'll have no problems loving MGSV.

With the Order it's the opposite. I'm worried about gameplay. Now, I'm not one of those people who criticize cinematic gameplay at all. However, I do wonder if the game will take control away from you too often. I wonder if the gun mechanics are satisfying and how well enemy encounters are. How often can I use the crazy inventive weapons versus standard gun types. I must say, I'm more concerned than if like to be. But other than that (significant game element) I hunk everything else will be at least good. Obviously graphics are incredible.

Spinluck

Not really, the games that I am excited for are from devs who have never really let me down with those games or their new IPs.

There's probably like 3-4 games on that list, lol.

KingJolly

Banned
Scalebound? Worried it might be too western

Homefront the revolution: The first game was pretty mediocre but the sequel seems to have improved everything a lot, but still

Game I fear will be a disappointment but I'm pretty sure will be great: Dragon Age Inquisition
Game I'm certain will be a disappointment but I still hold out hope for: Final Fantasy XV

Fbh

Well I allways worry a game I looking forward to might turn out to be bad.

But some that come to mind:

- Uncharted 4: It's not that I worry it will be bad, ND has earned my trust. It's just that I fear that based on the sucess they had with The Last of Us they will try to give the game a darker tone and a more serious story, which IMO would suck. I want Uncharted to keep being the humor filled unofficial Indiana Jones game I know and love.

-The Order: I loved this so much when it was first revealed, it looked like a promisig new IP. But all the content they have shown ever since has me more and more convinced that it will turn out to be a 7 hours long game with little to no replay value, by the numbers gameplay and that will only stand out becuase of the great graphics.
And hey, I'm not one to complain about linear cover shooters. I personally like them. But... Gears of War has the co-op and cool weapons (plus multiplayer), Uncharted has setpieces and sense of adventure (plus multiplayer).... so far the order has...graphics.

-The Witcher 3: I'm quite sure it's going to be the same as the witcher 2 for me. All the pre-release stuff looks amazing, then I get the game and after 5-6 hours I realize It's just not fun to play. Not saying it's bad game or anything, but for me personally it wasn't fun to play, I didn't like the quest structure and I hated the combat system

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have to admit that I am very surprised that nobody is worried about Farcry 4 since if I am remembering correctly has the same director as Assassins Creed 3.

Almost everyone seems to mention The Order 1886

Oh, Assassins Creed Unity since AC3 is proof that you can screw it up.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well I allways worry a game I looking forward to might turn out to be bad.

But some that come to mind:

- Uncharted 4: It's not that I worry it will be bad, ND has earned my trust. It's just that I fear that based on the sucess they had with The Last of Us they will try to give the game a darker tone and a more serious story, which IMO would suck. I want Uncharted to keep being the humor filled unofficial Indiana Jones game I know and love.

-The Order: I loved this so much when it was first revealed, it looked like a promisig new IP. But all the content they have shown ever since has me more and more convinced that it will turn out to be a 7 hours long game with little to no replay value, by the numbers gameplay and that will only stand out becuase of the great graphics.
And hey, I'm not one to complain about linear cover shooters. I personally like them. But... Gears of War has the co-op and cool weapons (plus multiplayer), Uncharted has setpieces and sense of adventure (plus multiplayer).... so far the order has...graphics.

-The Witcher 3: I'm quite sure it's going to be the same as the witcher 2 for me. All the pre-release stuff looks amazing, then I get the game and after 5-6 hours I realize It's just not fun to play. Not saying it's bad game or anything, but for me personally it wasn't fun to play, I didn't like the quest structure and I hated the combat system

Yeah, I do agree with the Uncharted 4 concern. I do not want it to go in the direction of Last of Us.

Freeman

Banned
I don't think I'm afraid of anything, the games I'm most excited for are unlikely to disappoint.

Uncharted 4 - ND.

MGSV - Ground Zeroes was better than I expected, its part of a series that never disappointed me and it is made by Kojima Productions.

Bloodborne - I liked all the Souls games and this one looks just like the sort of change that would be great for the series, also Hidetaka Miyazaki.

TLG - at this point just releasing the game would be great, if it turns out to be good its a plus.

W3 - From what we've seen it will be great.

Dragon Age - I don't expect great things from Bioware anymore, if it has great word of mouth I'll check it out, otherwise I'll just ignore it.

FFXV- I'm not a FF fan but so far it looks pretty good.

The Order - All Ready at Dawn games so far were good. I get the feeling this game will be better than everyone is expecting, its RaD big opportunity to make a statement and it looks just like the sort of IP that has the potential to be very successful, specially early in the generation.

HL3 (possibly) - This would hurt the most if it sucks but at least everybody could move on.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Bayonetta 2. It's the reason I got the WiiU in the first place.

I had a terrible feeling Watch Dogs will be bad or mediocre. It was overly mediocre. Now I have some fears for Lords of the Fallen, that's why I'm not pre-ordering it.

Gurish

Afraid for Arkham Knight, hope they wont lose too much focus with the Bat-mobile, the shooting drones gameplay from E3 didn't look interesting, there is a big emphasis on the Bat-mobile and if they screw it up it can hurt the flow of the game.

Fable Legends. I really hope it turns out well, but what I played of it left me concerned. I've seen some positive impressions about it though, so hopefully the upcoming beta will prove me wrong.

I'll throw in another mention for Star Wars Battlefront. I loved the first game, but never got around to playing the second. I had my first exposure to DICE this year with BF4 and I was very bored and underwhelmed. Looking at some of their other games, they don't seem to have much experience with 3rd person shooting either, which is the way I would rather play Battlefront. It's unfortunate, but I'm really pessimistic, and don't have much hope for DICE doing a decent job.

SeanTSC

I've got a pretty good idea of what I'll like from the new games coming out. There's a lot of info out there and most developers have pretty consistent track records. I also don't have insane expectations of every game being a 9 or something. I love 7s! There are a couple games that I'm worried might be worse than I expect them to be though. Alien: Isolation and Lords of the Fallen. The Gamestop pre-order nonsense left a bad taste in my mouth with Alien: Isolation. I think I'll have fun with it, but I have a gut feeling it's just going to be "decent" at best. That's okay though.

And Lords of the Fallen... well it looks awesome. It sounds awesome. The videos have this great Darksiders art meets Dark Souls gameplay vibe. I want it to be really good, but I have this feeling that there's going to be something really "bad" mixed in with the game that really brings it down.

BumRush

I'll admit, although I'm super excited for FFXV, I am nervous. What I loved most about earlier FF titles (specifically VI, VII, IX and FFT) was that underneath the amazing gameplay, polished visuals, etc. were truly great stories and interesting characters. XIII completely destroyed that for me, and although it's one game, the two sequels did nothing to right the ship in my eyes. The gameplay for XV looks intriguing as hell and I'm sure it'll have that SE polish, but I'm not sure if I can get behind another super-convoluted story about unlikable characters.
I'll be buying it day one so take my "fears" with a grain of salt.

Final Fantasy XV. And not because "lol square hasn't made good game in 10 years" but because I can't think of very many games that were in development for as long as XV has been that actually lived up to expectations.

I'm not too worried about KHIII because the dev team behind that has shown nothing but competency for the last few years, and from what I've played of Ground Zeroes and seen of the E3 gameplay demo, something would have to really screw up for MGSV to dissapoint me at this point. Same with Arkham Knight.

Edit: Oh yeah, I am a little skeptical about Mirror's Edge at this point. Glad that it's actually happening, but I'm not so sure about the new emphasis on combat that's been mentioned.

Top Bottom