• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there enough in the pipeline to save the Wii U?

brett2

Wii U has currently sold around 6 million consoles in a little over a year and a half. If we get realistic and assume that the system tails off big time starting in 2016 (from it's already low numbers), Nintendo should be projecting 15 million lifetime sales at best. Gamecube moved 21 million units so it will take something drastic to come even close to that. As much as I enjoy owning the system the numbers don't lie - the Wii U is a long shot to be financially successful at this point.

lt519

Yeah probably not, but it never needed "saving" in my eyes. It always was going to have key Nintendo IP and that was always enough for the console to be worth it to me, and in the end that is all that matters, me. (Assuming they could ride out a few bad consoles with the money in the bank)

Mario Kart is the only major blip outside of a price drop that will help sales much. There is no saving the Wii U but it has a pretty decent lineup. That's what really matters.

I see the WiiU having spikes in sales w/ Smash and Zelda (a little bit for Bayonetta 2). But for the most part, I expect it will be last place and not be a massive seller console. However, Nintendo's first party games will sell well to the fans. In the end, I just see the WiiU aiming towards a particular audience (smaller than PS4/XB1), but I still see solid 1st party sales and lack of third parties.

Riposte

The reason Wii U is dying is because they failed on the one front we love Nintendo for bring us great games. Not rehashes not things just dressed up bring us new games.

Are you sure you have a definition for "rehash" that is able to exclude wildly-successful (dominant, even), heavy-serialized series on other platforms, but include various Nintendo titles? Consider Call of Duty, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, Batman Arkham, Forza, Madden, etc. Minecraft, 360's recent run-away hit, is a port of a several year old game and that's without any sequels.

I think your premise is short-sighted and heavily biased against reason. Wii U is failing for more realistic reasons like people not buying a console for a single company's games*, the console's failure to hold Wii's extended casual audience (who do not care about the games we do) against an onslaught of mobile/free games that directly challenges the value proposition of consoles, and, in Japan, the console market struggling to grab any sort of foothold (including PS4).

*: Half a company's games, because they are split between two platforms.

Bro they made the Virtual Boy, The Gamecube and then the Wii.

People make decisions on what entices them. People play Nintendo consoles for games. The reason Wii U is dying is because they failed on the one front we love Nintendo for bring us great games. Not rehashes not things just dressed up bring us new games.

Mario Kart 8 is honestly the first game on the system that has felt that way to me. Zelda and Mario are what we buy this thing for and the next Zelda is everything we want. A fresh approach that hits all the right notes.

It would sell massively.

No. Wii U owners are freaking out though because I think we honestly expected no games at all. So when they showed Zelda and it looked better than we imagined that was pretty much all they needed.

Didn't even know the Virtual Boy existed at the time, Gamecube and Wii both had great games and decent lifetimes, what are you trying to say? They need to ride the Wii U for 4 years at least, anything less is too short and will piss loads of people off.

A console not selling like bread shouldn't stop anyone from enjoying it, I honestly have more fond memories of GCN than the Wii. The Wii U will probable beat the GCN as my favourite console.

Edit: Also, no lol... they have made amazing games for the Wii U, even before MK8.

No I doubt it. Nintendo had some good exclusives at E3. But third party support is nill.

What you saw at Nintendo E3 is what you get. The games we saw will be sparsely released over the next year and a half.
Meanwhile the competing consoles will have strong exclusives along with full third party support which will sustain interest.

E3 was more of a reminder than ever that Nintendo consoles need a supplementary platform in order to get the full industry experience. The majority of E3 was about games coming to Sony and Microsoft platforms.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
No. I will reiterate my belief that Nintendo and its fans are better off cutting the chord as soon as possible and planning for the future. That doesn't necessarily mean the system should get zero new games, just that Nintendo's focus should already be on the horizon.
Highly disagree. It took time but they are finally getting grips with the platform and HD development. What they lost with the slow start is 3rd party support. Yet it's this same lack of 3rd party support that put them back on track: E3 was a Nintendo box celebration, Nintendo had to make more games for the console and Nintendo fans.

We can make as if Wii U was not seemingly selling well now (figures can't come soon enough), but even if these figures don't match XBox ones, they won't be that far below. As always for Nintendo Q4 will be a key quarter. I believe Wii U's library + Amiibo have lots of potential in terms of sales during the holiday season.

Local multiplayer goodness reusing controllers everyone has + competent free online in super popular series = sales potential. Wii U is not that expensive and a fantastic game released on it can be a trigger, see GAF with Mario Kart. The tipping point, a la Malcolm Gladwell, is still possible for Wii U: it's becoming notorious it's a great machine.

Nintendo showed their commitment, they kept their vision alive, they are supporting it, the GamePad, Miiverse. I believe it will pay off, they satisfy current owners, the good word of mouth and multiplayer exposures will lead to an ever growing audience.

Focusing on the tech they have, with limited development costs, will help them release more games on schedule, with more risks & variety. Wii U is a machine that can host their ENTIRE library on the eshop, they still have lots of profit potential there.

In the end I believe Nintendo, just as they fixed the OS boot time from 1mn to 1s, had a serious serious execution problem, which they mostly adressed with brio.

In the course of June, beyond this OS update, we witnessed MK8 graphics + online showcase, MKTV/youtube integration + a mobile app (it's a start :), another good miiverse update, an E3 reinvention, with a great lineup and critical reception, clever marketing promotions with MK8 + free game, a free DS game today, a lineup of toys that will both help them sell games and be profitable, etc.

I don't know if a single game can change the fortunes of a console, but a series of well executed actions certainly can. And that's precisely what is happening right now. They went from a D to an A in terms of execution. That's a reason enough to be optimistic.

JaseMath

I'm glad with the amount of greate games that are announced and already have been released.

In the end my wallet can only take that x amount of games.

Nintendo his plan is to keep nintendo fans satisfied instead of pulling in the casual markted that have been moved to mobile games.

If fans are happy, they are willing to buy nintendo's next system.

New 2D Metroid & Metroid is already announced this E3 anyway.
I'm a happy man
Wait what?

You know how some people say the Gamecube or the N64 was their favorite console from two/three generations ago, and not a lot of people would go out of their way to argue the point because those consoles had legitimate and memorable hitters? With the present games and the new games releasing in 2015, people will say the same thing about the Wii U.

Are you sure you have a definition for "rehash" that is able to exclude wildly-successful (dominant, even), heavy-serialized series on other platforms, but include various Nintendo titles? Consider Call of Duty, Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, Batman Arkham, Forza, Madden, etc.

I think you're premise is short-sighted and heavily biased against reason. Wii U is failing for more realistic reasons like people not buying a console for a single company's games* and the console's failure to hold Wii's extended casual audience (who do not care about the games we do) against an onslaught of mobile/free games that directly challenges the value proposition of consoles.

*: Half a company's games, because they are split between two platforms.

I think you make some great points but I know personally for me I bought the Wii U simply for the next Mario, Zelda and Mario Kart. That's it. I also know a lot of people that have a Wii U have done so for similar reasons. I don't believe that any Nintendo console will have the success of the Wii. It was just a random perfect combination of factors never to be duplicated. I think all Nintendo can hope for with any console is the same numbers they got for the Gamecube and N64.

I also believe the reason fatigue hasn't set in for some games like it has Nintendo franchises is the multiplayer factor. I am sick to death of COD but every year I get pulled back in because even if its the same tired format playing with your friends is a big deal and motivator. Its a huge reason why I think MK8 and Smash will be such a continued success.

MilesTeg

Banned
What if Nintendo's NFC takes off majorly and creates a fucking crazy revenue stream?

Notice how Nintendo's NFC stuff isn't even branded Wii U or 3DS. Rather than tying them to hardware, they are tied to video game IP as well as Amiibo. Even if it's a break out hit, Nintendo has positioned this product as above hardware, meaning it's pretty likely these figures will also work on their future handheld and home console.

Phediuk

No.

There's like nothing coming out for the rest of the year aside from Hyrule Warriors and Smash, and Smash will be on 3DS first.

Anth0ny

Nothing can save the Wii U. Smash will provide a temporary bump, like Mario Kart.

It's still doomed to sell less than the Gamecube. 15 million is optimistic.

Wait what?

That poster is misleading. It was said that the 2D and 3D futures of Metroid are being "planned". This could mean that they'll think about it and drop the idea, or possibly that they want new games to be made but are not close to full-on development yet.

Nope, it'll never sell crazy numbers like its predecessor, and it would be hard-pressed to match even the N64.

But it will exist and continue to be annoyingly compelling even to the staunchest of non-Nintendo fans as long as the exclusive release pipeline continues to be as strong as its been to date.

Daingurse

Huh? No, thought people would understand this by now. The quality of the games is irrelevant, the console will have no meaningful revival.

Kyougar

Will it save the WiiU? I dunno.
Are the positive News of the last 2 weeks (MK8 and E3) incentive enough for nonowners to buy the System or are only current Owners happy that it got such a great (in their opinion) showing?

As a 95% PC Gamer and 5% Console (PS3/3DS) Gamer, I felt nothing.
Mind you, I was never a "Nintendo gamer", but I know the IP's. The only time where I was eventually inclined to buy a Home Console from Nintendo, was the original Wii for the Social aspect and the motion controlls. But that passed quickly.
And even on the 3DS I dont play Nintendo games, I have Harvest moon and Fire Emblem (and retrospectly, a Vita would have been a better Purchase for my gaming tastes :/ )

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I don't think it'll lead to a dramatic turnaround in sales, but it's sure as hell going to help make it a great system anyway.

There's more than enough. What Nintendo needs to do is have a big marketing blitz starting in September into the holiday season. People need to know the Wii U is a new Console and it can create beautiful games just like it's competition. Wii U has tons of exclusives, this needs to be enforced over and over again.

Chaos17

After this E3 and Mario Kart, Nintendo had a revived sort of confidence. I'm not sure however if this E3 puts the speculation of it being a dead console to rest as a similar sort of confidence in their platform was displayed in the earlier years of the 3DS's launch issues.

Do you guys think this E3 will result in a turnaround of sales or is this merely a mirage?

Is there enough in the pipeline to save the Vita?
She is more dead than Wii u.
But it seems it's still hype to bash on Nintendo, hu ?
Maybe that's jalousy because they made such an awesome E3.

I'm gonna eventually own all consoles. I got ps4 full price, xbone for 130 cheaper with kinect and the Wii U I need to be 200 or under if I'm to consider it. So either a bundle or a black friday deal.

Everything is 2015. The next major title after Mario Kart is more than half a year away from it, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. So no, there is not enough in the pipeline to save Wii U, considering there are no momentum building titles between then and third-parties aren't doing that job simply because they don't exist on Wii U.

Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors are not momentum building titles.

Instro

No the device is too undesirable to have any consistent increase in sales. Spikes yes, much like the GameCube. The disappearance of the Japanese hardware market is also hurting it.

It needs some significant price reductions to get more people to buy in, its growing list of exclusives will make gamers eye the device for a secondary console pick up at some point, but the price will need to be right.

stuminus3

My thoughts on this might be a bit skewed because I've always been a multi-plaform gamer but it doesn't matter too much to me so long as it's not a Virtual Boy situation (which it clearly isn't) because Nintendo at their best and Nintendo at their worst (sales wise) result in largely the same thing for me, at least since the N64 days.

It doesn't change anything if Nintendo sell 100 million consoles because that's only part of their problem with their image, with third parties etc. At the end of the day my Wii library (of over 100 titles) and my Wii U library are going to look very similar. They're clearly not going anywhere. So that's good enough for me.

I can understand the concern if you only own Nintendo but you want it to be a PlayStation but this has been the way it is for 20 years now so it's strange to me that people still think like that.

doofy102

Some amazing exclusives, the best I'd say...but quantity is not the wiiu's strong point.

I have at least 10 very good Wii U games sitting on my shelf right now, and there's way more on the way. The thing is, most people I know who play games (not the minority who regularly look up games online) never have more than around 10 games per console.

With N64, for example, people only tend to have the essentials - Occarina, Smash, Mario Kart, Mario 64, etc, plus a couple second-rate third party games and they love it. Surely there's enough "quantity" on the Wii U for the average gamer?

NickFire

It will never reach the commercial success of Wii, and may even end up their least successful console. But the risks of abandoning it far outweigh the benefits. Nintendo has acquired incredible good will that has helped it survive, and sometimes thrive, for a long time while others have come and gone. Letting those who took a shot on Wii U feel burned risks a massive hit to its image, which would be very hard to fix. I would even suggest that such a hit would be almost impossible to fix without jumping into a specs war with other consoles, something Nintendo is loathe to do.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Personally I define "saving" the Wii U as meeting or exceeding Gamecube lifetime sales. Not a noble target, but Nintendo's best hope for it is to at least equal the GC to keep their name marginally visible in the console arena.

But without 3rd party support, I don't know if it's possible. the GC enjoyed a few high profile 3rd party titles towards the end of its life. Those helped it eek out its 21 million. Unless Nintendo can throw out a boatload of software in late 2015 and all through 2016, I don't think Wii U will meet GC numbers.

jdw_b

Everything is 2015. The next major title after Mario Kart is more than half a year away from it, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. So no, there is not enough in the pipeline to save Wii U, considering there are no momentum building titles between then and third-parties aren't doing that job simply because they don't exist on Wii U.

Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors are not momentum building titles.

If they are given a decent advertising push they can contribute to building momentum up to the release of Smash. People might not neccessarily buy a console for one of those games but they can be one of those tipping point factors which helps someone pull the trigger

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Personally I define "saving" the Wii U as meeting or exceeding Gamecube lifetime sales. Not a noble target, but Nintendo's best hope for it is to at least equal the GC to keep their name marginally visible in the console arena.

But without 3rd party support, I don't know if it's possible. the GC enjoyed a few high profile 3rd party titles towards the end of its life. Those helped it eek out its 21 million. Unless Nintendo can throw out a boatload of software in late 2015 and all through 2016, I don't think Wii U will meet GC numbers.

I'm repeating myself, but IMO the drastic price drops had more to do with those sales than the 3rd party titles.

There is just no way Wii U starts matching Gamecube sales if its priced $200 more.

Thread title question reminds me of TV evangelist bullshit. The bottom line is that there are more than enough games in development (and already released tbh) to justify buying and owning a Wii U. It only gets better from here.

I don't think anyone who hasn't already bought a Wii U to play Mario/Mario Kart or the upcoming Smash Bros/already assumed Zelda would suddenly run out to get one because of Yoshi's Wooly World or Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker.

As someone who enjoys most of Nintendo's games, I'm happy for the near future of the Wii U and expect to have lots of fun with those games through 2015. As someone who hopes to keep playing Nintendo games for years (decades?) to come, I wish they had done SOMETHING to shake up the outlook of the Wii U to the outside audience a little more.

Nintendo's lineup has shown me that they're just going to stay the course as-is with the Wii U. To me, that means more great games for already Wii U-owners, but it also means that they aren't exactly fighting to sell a whole lot more systems, which may spell more financial trouble for them looking ahead.

I still hope they can turn this system around to the mass market, but each day it seems they're less motivated to do so.

My thoughts on this might be a bit skewed because I've always been a multi-plaform gamer but it doesn't matter too much to me so long as it's not a Virtual Boy situation (which it clearly isn't) because Nintendo at their best and Nintendo at their worst (sales wise) result in largely the same thing for me, at least since the N64 days.

It doesn't change anything if Nintendo sell 100 million consoles because that's only part of their problem with their image, with third parties etc. At the end of the day my Wii library (of over 100 titles) and my Wii U library are going to look very similar. They're clearly not going anywhere. So that's good enough for me.

I can understand the concern if you only own Nintendo but you want it to be a PlayStation but this has been the way it is for 20 years now so it's strange to me that people still think like that.

Same here, I honestly don't understand gamers who expect everything on one single platform, it's never been the case, one platform just doesn't provide enough variety IMO, I have a PC for third party games and a Wii U for Nintendo games. I'll buy a PS4 later down the line when Dead or Alive 6 comes out and I'd consider buying an Xbone over a PS4 for a good Rare game.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
No. It will cap out around 15 million sold max. The stuff in the pipeline is still typical Nintendo games that have failed to sell the Wii U to the mainstream to date. That Nintendo has sold less units in each subsequent generation from the NES on sans the Wii blip shows the market for those type of games has shrunk tremendously. At least in terms of people willing to buy a console to play those types of games.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm repeating myself, but IMO the drastic price drops had more to do with those sales than the 3rd party titles.

There is just no way Wii U starts matching Gamecube sales if its priced $200 more.

I agree actually that the price drops were a big part of it. And Wii U won't do that well until it gets below 200. I just think lack of 3rd party makes it even more unlikely.

No. It will cap out around 15 million sold max. The stuff in the pipeline is still typical Nintendo games that have failed to sell the Wii U to the mainstream to date. That Nintendo has sold less units in each subsequent generation from the NES on sans the Wii blip shows the market for those type of games has shrunk tremendously. At least in terms of people willing to buy a console to play those types of games.

I believe there's still a market for the kinds of games Nintendo makes, but yeah the real killer is many people want a console with those games and other content as well. IMO their portable devices continue to do well or survive because they become cheap enough to border on impulse purchases. If Nintendo wants to create a niche for themselves rather than go back to direct console war competition, they may have to figure out a way to get a super affordable Nintendo Box on the market. (The fabled hybrid portable/console thing, perhaps.)

I don't think anyone who hasn't already bought a Wii U to play Mario/Mario Kart or the upcoming Smash Bros/already assumed Zelda would suddenly run out to get one because of Yoshi's Wooly World or Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker.

As someone who enjoys most of Nintendo's games, I'm happy for the near future of the Wii U and expect to have lots of fun with those games through 2015. As someone who hopes to keep playing Nintendo games for years (decades?) to come, I wish they had done SOMETHING to shake up the outlook of the Wii U to the outside audience a little more.

Nintendo's lineup has shown me that they're just going to stay the course as-is with the Wii U. To me, that means more great games for already Wii U-owners, but it also means that they aren't exactly fighting to sell a whole lot more systems, which may spell more financial trouble for them looking ahead.

I still hope they can turn this system around to the mass market, but each day it seems they're less motivated to do so.

Are you serious about this?

Top Bottom