• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this PC (Zotac ZBOX EN760 Plus) much worse than the Alienware Alpha?

RM8

So I'm about to order an Alienware Alpha (it's going to be extra-expensive for me since it's not sold in Mexico :( even though we get other Alienware products) and I just found this other PC:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LATIY6C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M (Maxwell) 640 processor cores 2GB GDDR5 / 128-bit memory bus Engine clock: 1020 MHz (base) / 1097 MHz (boost) Memory clock: 5000 MHz
- Processor: Intel Core i5-4200U Processor (1.6GHz Clock Speed, 2.6GHz Max Turbo, Dual-Core)
- DDR3L Memory Type, 8GB (up to 16GB), Memory Card Reader 4-in-1 (MMC/SD/SDHC/SDXC)
- Hard Drive: 1TB 5400RPM HDD
- SATA: 1x SATA3 Port, 1x mSATA3 Port

Now, I'm pretty ignorant about PC specs, but doesn't it look pretty similar to the Alpha? Would I get a similar performance? Because I wouldn't mind the obvious drawbacks (no Windows or controller included, I don't know if the CPU is upgrade-able). Also, is Zotac a good brand? I don't think I had heard of it, but again, I'm pretty ignorant about this :x Some insight would be appreciated. Alpha i5 specs for comparison:

- CPU: Core i5-4590T quad-core
- Processor: 2.0GHz, up to 3.0GHz turbo, 6MB
- GPU: GTX 860M variant with 2GB GDDR5
- Memory: GB DDR3L at 1600MHz (dual-channel)
- Storage: 1TB Hard Drive

BTW - I can't build a PC right now, I need a tiny, "portable" desktop PC like this one or the Alpha :p

It has a worse CPU and I don't even think it comes with Windows; just the hardware. The only advantage is VESA mount compatibility (you can hide it behind certain TVs).

The Alienware Alpha is a better build for sure.

Durante

The CPU in the Zotac is significantly slower than in the alpha model you posted. Also, it looks like it uses single channel memory.

I'd say the extra expense for the Alienware is more or less fitting for its extra performance over the Zotac. Both are pretty expensive for what you are getting compared to rolling your own, but I'm sure you're well aware of that.

RM8

It has a worse CPU and I don't even think it comes with Windows; just the hardware.

The only advantage is VESA mount compatibility (you can hide it behind certain TVs).
I wouldn't mind having to install Windows myself, but do you think the performance would be considerably worse? :(

The CPU in the Zotac is significantly slower than in the alpha model you posted. Also, it looks like it uses single channel memory.

I'd say the extra expense for the Alienware is more or less fitting for its extra performance over the Zotac. Both are pretty expensive for what you are getting compared to rolling your own, but I'm sure you're well aware of that.
Oh, I see. Yikes, I'll have to pay extra for the Alienware, I guess. And yeah, I'm aware I'm pretty much paying for the form factor.

RM8

Which Alienware Alpha are ya looking at? Comparing the two I'd go with the Alpha since it looks like the Zotac would be weaker.
I'm comparing it to the i5 version, which is the one I want to buy. But the one I'll have to buy is the i7 version since it's the only one Amazon ships to Mexico :x

I got excited when I found the Zotac, I thought I was going to save some money, lol :(

I'm comparing it to the i5 version, which is the one I want to buy. But the one I'll have to buy is the i7 version since it's the only one Amazon ships to Mexico :x

I got excited when I found the Zotac, I thought I was going to save some money, lol :(

What price would you be paying for them?

Ouch that sucks =/ are there no other websites you can use?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
BTW - I can't build a PC right now, I need a tiny, "portable" desktop PC like this one or the Alpha :p
Is a Silverstone Raven RVZ01 Mini-ITX small enough?

Out of the two, Alpha. Need a Quad going forward.

MtYubyN.jpg

GBBFkB2.jpg

RM8

Ouch that sucks =/ are there no other websites you can use?
I found the i7 for ~$918 USD on eBay, but I'm already nervous about buying something so expensive online so I'll go with the more expensive Amazon instead :x Otherwise, nope, no other alternatives :(

RM8

Is a Silverstone Raven RVZ01 Mini-ITX small enough?

Out of the two, Alpha. Need a Quad going forward.
Honestly that's definitely bigger than I'd like. Plus I'd also need to import that, or ask a non-PC-illiterate person around here where I can find it :p

A mobile video card in a desktop? PASS
Yup, they're basically laptops. The Alpha's is custom, though!

Impossible to know at this point, but I'd be happy with something that can run Street Fighter V perfectly :]

RM8

^ I could buy the Alpha and the Zotac for what I'd pay for that, though :p

Ugh. I need to decide right now :( I wonder if the Zotac's CPU being considerably slower will ruin some games for me. I don't think I play very CPU-intensive stuff, really.

^ I could buy the Alpha and the Zotac for what I'd pay for that, though :p

Ugh. I need to decide right now :( I wonder if the Zotac's CPU being considerably slower will ruin some games for me. I don't think I play very CPU-intensive stuff, really.

no it won't.

Why don't you try and see what will happen with the Mcase projects? You might be able to snatch a prototype soon ( http://hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102 )

A4

Ncase M1

Or you could just build a system inside your desk or on your wall. Or build it in some legos.

13-Lego-PC.jpg

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/07/lego-computer-three-computers/

You can do this mate!

RM8

^ I really don't think there's any other PC as travel-friendly as the Alpha, though:

10305617_10152204295826973_8341116360055931420_n.jpg

It's basically Wii-sized! Heck, it's more travel-friendly than any of the current gen consoles.

^ I really don't think there's any other PC as travel-friendly as the Alpha, though:

10305617_10152204295826973_8341116360055931420_n.jpg

It's basically Wii-sized! Heck, it's more travel-friendly than any of the current gen consoles.

That might be true, but if it really has to be travel friendly, why not get an affordable gaming laptop?

Alienware 13 comes with i7 and 960m 2GB GGDR5. It has 16 gigs of ram, you can put your own SSD in it.
you could do a lenovo y50 for 800 bucks or something like that too. its less hassle.

With a near $400 price difference, I'd probably go with the ZOTAC. Even if it doesn't come with a controller or OS, the CPU performance isn't worth it if you use it strictly for gaming. If you plan on using it as a desktop primarily, then it might be a bit different.

Top Bottom