• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this the best anti-rape campaign ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Negligence plays a part in determining whether certain actions can be brought in civil court. It does not play a part in crime. This is because we judge crimes on the actions and mental state of the perpetrator. The victim's negligence is not relevant. Actually "negligence" is a bit of a misnomer, since it implies culpability. In a criminal issue, they would not use the term "negligence". Let's go with "poor judgement".

Don't look at things in terms of the actions of the victim. Look at things in terms of the actions of the perpetrator. If you violently assault someone who is acting wisely, you are actually doing just as bad a thing as if you violently assault someone who is acting unwisely. The victim's wisdom or lack thereof does not affect the wickedness of your actions.

Let's test our sense of justice by putting together some examples below.

Person A does violence to a person acting intelligently. That person has done him no harm.

Person B does violence to a person acting unwisely. That person has done him no harm.

Person C does violence to a person in self-defense, to save his life.

Why is C different? His mental state is different- his actions are similar, but their purpose is to protect his life.

If you think A and B are morally different, what you are saying is "Criminals who prey on fools should be punished less than those who prey on smart people."

Isn't that an odd conclusion to come to? Criminal law is supposed to be about justice. Does that seem just?

You end up arguing that what you are trying to do is to make a world where there are less fools, by disincentivizing foolish behavior. Well, the world could do with less fools, that much is true. But is criminal law the right forum to try to improve peoples' wisdom? Surely that falls under the purview of stuff like education, parenting, etc. Using criminal law this way leads us to the strange and disgusting idea that in fact the victim owes the perpetrator a debt of sorts- they have learned a hard lesson, and will be wiser from it. Is a society where wisdom is imparted in that manner one in which you would like to live?

And we are of course here assuming the victim was even unwise at all. The perpetrator would of course lie about the victim's actions to try to make them seem as foolish as possible. Who do you believe?

I've said enough.

You should keep saying this, constantly. You are officially my favorite junior ever.

Maybe I'm naive, but would I be crazy to think that people willing to commit rape are inconsiderate dirtbags who can't think outside themselves? A commercial isn't going to stop them. Hell, telling them it was wrong after the fact tends to surface a kind of supremely self centered narrative where they didn't do anything wrong. No ad is going to get rid of shitty people. Better to use dollars advising women on how to protect themselves from the dirtbags who are out there.

And before any of you fucking start, no, I'm not saying we should put an ad out there implying that rape is the victims fault. I'm saying there are dirtbags out there and we should focus on empowering people to avoid disaster if at all possible. Keeping a close eye on your drink, that sort of thing. You can hem and haww all you want about how it's shame and embarassing that this approach may be needed, and you'd be right, but whatever the fuck gets the amount of assaults down is what we should focus on.

Link

The Autumn Wind
See, this is the thing. That's not being a 'good person'. That's basically the minimum standard of decency I would expect from any human being. To not have sex with someone who doesn't want to. It's ridiculous how low our standards must be when 'not being a rapist' is seen as being 'a good person'.

I hate these threads. Sometimes I think GAF is a more enlightened place, then I remember a lot of people here are manchildren with no sense of empathy or immagination for a worldview outside of the bubble they've created for themselves.
These things right here.

Man, this thread is depressing.

Maybe I'm naive, but would I be crazy to think that people willing to commit rape are inconsiderate dirtbags who can't think outside themselves? A commercial isn't going to stop them. Hell, telling them it was wrong after the fact tends to surface a kind of supremely self centered narrative where they didn't do anything wrong. No ad is going to get rid of shitty people. Better to use dollars advising women on how to protect themselves from the dirtbags who are out there.

And before any of you fucking start, no, I'm not saying we should put an ad out there implying that rape is the victims fault. I'm saying there are dirtbags out there and we should focus on empowering people to avoid disaster if at all possible. Keeping a close eye on your drink, that sort of thing. You can hem and haww all you want about how it's shame and embarassing that this approach may be needed, and you'd be right, but whatever the fuck gets the amount of assaults down is what we should focus on.

Well considering the amount of people (even in this thread) who say things like 'rape is bad, but if she's not saying no a bunch or fighting enough it's not rape'

Apparently we need to educate people on what rape actually is. The second commercial linked does that.

The point about the second bolded, is that it doesn't work. The only thing that would prevent women from being raped is to be completely alone forever. And in a world where covering your drink is seen as a total insult and a 'bitch' thing to do, what are we supposed to do? Most of the time, women are raped by people they know. Most of the time, they are in situations where they otherwise should be safe. It's not the guy jumping out of a dark alley.

Salamando

That seems to really insult the general public's ability to consent to sex though. What you're saying, is that people don't understand what no means in terms of consensual sex, so they need a 30 second commercial to remind them that no means... no?

I think a commercial describing what does and doesn't constitute consent would go further than a guy talking about a girl who's asking to get raped. A real-life guy in the former case would be acting maliciously, and wouldn't be convinced by a commercial....whereas making sure both parties are aware of the level of consent might be effective.

Surreal

That seems to really insult the general public's ability to consent to sex though. What you're saying, is that people don't understand what no means in terms of consensual sex, so they need a 30 second commercial to remind them that no means... no?

Well society is kind of weird where women are expected to remain pure and "not want it too much" in a sexual exchange lest they be viewed as sluts. So women kind of protest in order to take the responsibility off them. On the other end, when women say no there seems to be this weird cultural idea that they just need some convincing. That they really want it and are just playing coy.

Just take this really really popular song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyDUC1LUXSU

The chorus itself, "You're a good girl. I know you want it. I know you want it." It kind of encapsulates what I'm trying to say.

Well considering the amount of people (even in this thread) who say things like 'rape is bad, but if she's not saying no a bunch or fighting enough it's not rape'

Apparently we need to educate people on what rape actually is. The second commercial linked does that.

The point about the second bolded, is that it doesn't work. The only thing that would prevent women from being raped is to be completely alone forever. And in a world where covering your drink is seen as a total insult and a 'bitch' thing to do, what are we supposed to do? Most of the time, women are raped by people they know. Most of the time, they are in situations where they otherwise should be safe. It's not the guy jumping out of a dark alley.

I want to just scream at you because you paint a picture of a world I refuse to live in, but I suppose that's part of the problem.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I don't want any of our female members to take this the wrong way, but I'm so glad I'm not a woman. So much bullshit to put up with, goddamn.

Dude this is lame.

Did you read the thread I linked? I agree. It is lame. We can't win for losing.

Edit: By that I mean we get this: "You should be smarter when you go out, watch your drink, be wary of strangers, don't dress too provocatively." and then "She palmed her drink when I went up to her!" "What a bitch, I would have palmed her face!"

There was a story some time back about a young man in Africa who raped a woman, and felt terrible about it after the fact. He was teased about being a virgin and eventually, some guys took him with them to rape the woman. He was never tried. Having felt bad enough during the act and afterwards even worse, he now takes it upon himself to educate others about rape, and generally do some good.

The point is that not everyone - and Mumei's post has some statistics - understands what rape is. So a 30-second commercial could indeed stop a young man from assaulting a young woman later that night because of a better understanding. Though I imagine that the commercials with the person watching themselves through the glass are better than the one in the OP for that, because they bring up the emotional component.

im going to have an asthma attack in about three seconds

"Asking for it" is the most commonly used phrase for blaming a victim for their rape.

And how does the bar scene not help the message? If someone wants to stop, at any time, then you should stop. Being in a bar doesn't just change the Rape Rules. I can't believe I'm having to say this at all.

I've lived in Scotland for 5 years and the only context I've ever heard a guy say "She's asking for it" is when they mean "She's out to get laid tonight."

What's everyone's thoughts on the getting over the top drunk and rape? It seems that the two often go together.

My thoughts... just because a girl is drunk doesn't make rape ok, but I have a harder time feeling sorry for the girl if she made stupid decisions because she was drunk and that got her in to a bad situation. I felt the same way when my best friend got piss-ass drunk at a bar and jumped in to a strange van going to a party. He got back to us a couple hours later and had got mugged, but it was hard to feel sorry for him because he made an dumb decision. There are bad people out there and girls especially need to be more careful when drinking.

Then you're an ass with a complete lack of empathy. Being drunk does not excuse rape, nor should it make you feel any less terrible for the victim. What kind of bullshit is that?

See, this is the thing. That's not being a 'good person'. That's basically the minimum standard of decency I would expect from any human being. To not have sex with someone who doesn't want to. It's ridiculous how low our standards must be when 'not being a rapist' is seen as being 'a good person'.
lol well I aim for the minimum standard :p

it was actually kinda chilling the next day when I thought about it; how it could have gone from a 'aw we shouldn't have done that' to something really, sincerely, bad, assuming I was that kind of scummy dude.

edit: lots of grays in here heh.

Kazerei

Banned
You make a lot of sense, the methods you describe do help us progress towards a safer community while precautionary measures do not. But I believe until we get to that point and even after that point, since no community is completely safe, I think there is value in empowering the individual too. Whether it is through teaching best practices, self-defense classes, or other methods, I believe these types of precautionary measures are effective in protecting people even if they may be a bit restrictive.

Obviously, we shouldn't JUST teach precautionary measures because then we'd never make progress, but I think it is a valuable tool in tandem with stopping people from being rapists.

My fear is that when (and I could be totally off) we say that the victim is never to blame we aren't encouraging safe practices.

If we are telling someone that they are never at fault, we are telling them they have no power over the situations they find themselves in. How so?

Because if they had any power over the situation then the outcome would be somewhat a result of their actions. If the outcome is somewhat a result of their actions then they are partially responsible for what happens to them.

So the only way someone is blameless is if they had no power in the situation. We're kind of telling people that the bad things that happen to you are out of your control. Which is a really weird angle to take.

This seems to encourage an external locus of control, the idea that outcomes of events are attributed to external circumstances. It's not good to get people thinking that way because, "[externals] are more prone to depression, learned helplessness, and anxiety than [internals]." Source.

I don't want to blame victims for being attacked, but at the same time I think it's important to teach people that they can make a difference. They can control the outcome of events and that they're not helpless.

When we say the victim isn't to blame, we don't intend to discourage safe practices. We still need those safe practices! I can understand what you're getting at, but (hopefully) we're not sending the message that people have no control over the situations they're in.

crozier

I never want to have children, especially a daughter. What a shitty world we must live in if non-rapists are celebrated as if they're exceptional.

Bleepey

Oh lord, the posts on the first page.... For shame. That said I'd argue that in my experience more women good views that if a girl is out wearing a short skirt and a low cut top she's easy easy and looking to get laid. Little ol' apparently woman-hating MRA had to be the one to tell a few of these girls just cos a girl walks around in next to nothing, it doesn't mean she wants to get laid.

Bleepey

Did you read the thread I linked? I agree. It is lame. We can't win for losing.

Edit: By that I mean we get this: "You should be smarter when you go out, watch your drink, be wary of strangers, don't dress too provocatively." and then "She palmed her drink when I went up to her!" "What a bitch, I would have palmed her face!"

Oh Christ don't get me started on this shit again. Feminists distorting my words to fit their narrative.

i like this one better:

J9jAnOzl.jpg

SmokyDave

Well, what does blaming the victim do? The fact is that there's someone out there committing a crime and doing something to hurt people. That's who we should be looking at. Rapists - and muggers - aren't forces of nature. They choose to do wrong, and so we should hold them accountable for it - not the people who they hurt.

Interestingly, there used to be a PSA on TV here in England that warned people about using their mobiles outside pubs. It mentioned the fact that the phone 'lit up like a christmas tree' and attracted thieves. I can't find it on Youtube sadly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gEftWCG5Ow

EDIT: Going to add a trigger warning

I think the advert's address the notion that rape is an easy to commit crime. Alcohol can be a social lubricant where you lose anxiety and awareness of the consequences of your actions.

That to do more than say no might provoke a violent reaction, or that maybe he might just leave and say to your group of share friends (male & female) that your not up for having a laugh. A disgusting as that sounds.

I was reading a article (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/24/oscar-pistorius-end-of-rainbow) and it struck me how different it is to be a woman. That when your body develops and hits puberty you become aware of threats.

"I was big for my age," she writes, "and while my classmates were still sitting with their legs apart, I couldn't afford to be so childlike and carefree. With breasts and hips budding by the age of 10, I often attracted the attention of much older boys and young men. When I ignored them, the word rape fell from their lips with ease while their friends and onlookers just laughed."

I understand, but why not take a two-pronged approach? Try to rehabilitate and educate those who aren't absolutely deviants and also teach people how to protect themselves against those who are?
We're already taking the latter half of the approach. Maybe people don't realise how much this shit is drilled into girls from an early age, we certainly get reminded enough. I'm tired of hearing about how I need to simultaneously be less prudish and rude to men, but also be cautious all the time, not be friendly to men if I'm not going to sleep with them, don't dress up nice because it's obviously to attract men, aim for the nuts, aim for the eyes, use keys etc etc etc. Every piece of advice you could possibly give most women have heard before. It's about time we start educating men as well as women.

Oh Christ don't get me started on this shit again. Feminists distorting my words to fit their narrative.

I think the whole thread aptly summed up her point, it wasn't just what you said. Good work complaining about "feminists" though.

Bleepey

We're already taking the latter half of the approach. Maybe people don't realise how much this shit is drilled into girls from an early age, we certainly get reminded enough. I'm tired of hearing about how I need to simultaneously be less prudish and rude to men, but also be cautious all the time, not be friendly to men if I'm not going to sleep with them, don't dress up nice because it's obviously to attract men, aim for the nuts, aim for the eyes, use keys etc etc etc. Every piece of advice you could possibly give most women have heard before. It's about time we start educating men as well as women.

I think the whole thread aptly summed up her point, it wasn't just what you said. Good work complaining about "feminists" though.

What are you referring to? A thread where I asked about how common girls getting their drinks spiked was in real life because a girl I was talking to might have by reflex palmed her drink became "I tried to mack on this fucking female and this bitch had the nerve to palm her drink whilst talking to me". It also lead to off the top of my head the feminists on GAF, claiming I called or implied the girl I talked to was a bitch, when I asked them to quote me they ignored my post, they claimed me being a wingman and talking to the friend whilst my mate hit on a girl was the equivalent of me dragging the two apart. I directly gave a rebuttal to everything thrown at me something the feminists on GAF can't say the same.

NinjaBoiX

You are the type of person the ad is targeting. Please watch it again, perhaps several times. She said no, and was crying. Yep, totally not rape. Also, just because she was kissing a guy/took him to her room doesn't mean she deserved to get raped.
Yep.

It's one thing for your long time SO to say "not tonight, I'm tired", and you maybe persisting a little to try and get her in the mood, but it's a safe, comfortable enviroment, and you are comfortable with each other. You can read her body language and tone of voice. You know when to let it go.

But if it's a firm "NO", particularly with someone you aren't very familiar with, that should always be the end of it. If there is even the slightest hint that the other party is uncomfortable in any way, that should be the end of it.

I mean I can't imagine anything worse than forcing yourself on somebody. That can't be arousing surely, that would stay with you, never mind the poor victim.

Urgh, awful stuff to have to think about.

What are you referring to? A thread where I asked about how common girls getting their drinks spiked was in real life because a girl I was talking to might have by reflex palmed her drink became "I tried to mack on this fucking female and this bitch had the nerve to palm her drink whilst talking to me". It also lead to off the top of my head the feminists on GAF, claiming I called or implied the girl I talked to was a bitch, when I asked them to quote me they ignored my post, they claimed me being a wingman and talking to the friend whilst my mate hit on a girl was the equivalent of me dragging the two apart. I directly gave a rebuttal to everything thrown at me something the feminists on GAF can't say the same.

I have absolutely nothing against you, I was referring to people in the thread implying she was in the wrong for palming her drink. It's a hard line to walk when people are simultaneously saying "Do X to protect yourself" and "Don't do X, you'll look like a bitch". Saying "fucking feminists" isn't really helping you look good mate. I have no idea why you even felt the need to bring "feminism" into this at all.

PogiJones

Banned
When we say the victim isn't to blame, we don't intend to discourage safe practices. We still need those safe practices! I can understand what you're getting at, but (hopefully) we're not sending the message that people have no control over the situations they're in.

Many in this very thread have painted the encouragement of safe practices as some sort of assault on women's rights. "Who are you to tell me what to do?" That sort of a thing. But your approach is more defensible, I think.

As to the topic as a whole, I support and promote receiving clear consent before engaging in sexual intercourse. Heck, I believe in waiting till marriage, so that's kind of the ultimate form of clear consent (besides marital rape, of course). However, I must address some of the logical fallacies and baseless arguments I'm seeing. The minority opinion's baseless arguments have been dismantled quite well by the majority, so I'll just focus on the majority's faulty arguments.

The people arguing on either side are basically arguing over two things:

1. Whether a woman should take precautions to help prevent being raped, and

2. How clear the rape standard is.

I'll discuss my thoughts on each in kind.
-----------------------------------

1. Whether a woman should take precautions to lower the risk of being raped

Fallacies

a) Strawman: "I guess all women should lock themselves in their houses!"
Faulty because: The argument is that women should take reasonable precautions to mitigate the risk of getting raped. So saying, "Yes, but look at all these unreasonable things you could do that would lower her risk!" is a strawman, because no one is encouraging those. Furthermore, the argument contains a faulty premise: if unreasonable precautions exist, then either all precautions are unreasonable or reasonable precautions should also not be encouraged.

b) Strawman: "Stop blaming the victim! Rapists bear the sole responsibility!"
Faulty because: The argument is NOT that women are morally or legally culpable for the rape; no one is arguing that the rapist is any less at fault for raping a provocatively-dressed woman. Rather, the argument is, "Wow, that sucks she got raped. As a side note [that has nothing to do with the culpability of the rape], as a matter of safety, she probably shouldn't be getting piss-drunk at a party with a bunch of drunk dudes." The logic breaks down like this:
  • Premise I: Undertaking reasonable actions to reduce the risk of personal harm is wise.
  • Premise II: People should do wise things.
  • Premise III: A woman avoiding getting piss-drunk at a party with a bunch of drunk dudes is a reasonable action that reduces the risk of personal harm.
  • Conclusion: Women should avoid getting piss-drunk at a party with a bunch of drunk dudes.
At no point in the premises or the conclusion does the culpability (the "blame," if you will) for the rape lessen for the rapist or shift from the rapist to the victim. That's a strawman in its purest form. If people do contest the conclusion, it will usually be because they disagree with Premise III's assertion that avoiding drinking is reasonable (or one of the premises upon which this premise is based, such as drunk dudes being less safe than non-drunk dudes/non-dudes). That's a fine counter-argument to support; speak up about why you think it is not reasonable. But the strawman of victim-blaming (which is a real thing, but alleged far more pervasively than is sound) is not useful to dialogue or rape prevention.
  • Side note: The argument "most rapes are by someone you know" does not conclusively speak to the reasonableness of prevention measures. While a man is more likely to die in a car crash than by lightning, that does not mean it is unreasonable to seek insulated shelter during a lightning storm. By the same token, it is not conclusively shown by that statistic that it is an unreasonable preventative measure for a woman to avoid walking alone at night in sketchy neighborhoods. The argument can, however, be somewhat relevant; it's just not conclusive, or even very enlightening.

c) Strawman: "Stop infringing women's rights for the sake of their safety!"
Faulty because: No one (on this forum) is infringing (or even has the ability to infringe) upon anyone's rights. Encouraging women to undertake safety precautions removes exactly zero of their autonomy. It is merely sharing with them what you think is wise, and therefore what you think they should do. They will receive no negative repercussions as punishment for ignoring your advice. They will not go to jail or lose their job. They've merely been informed of your opinion on what you believe is wise. The opinion can be disagreed with, but the claim that it's infringing on rights is completely false.

2. How clear the rape standard is

Logical fallacies

Begging the question: "Rape is rape." Alternatively: "67% of men said they thought a raped woman who didn't give a clear enough 'no' was partially to blame for the rape."
Faulty because:
These fallacies assume that (criminal) rape is defined as rape by calling it rape, and generally from the woman's perspective. Calling it rape in a catchphrase or survey does not make it rape, and how clearly the consent or lack thereof was communicated is a huge part of determining whether or not it was rape at all. In the old days, the question of rape DID focus on the woman, but rape reform correctly redirected it to the man's perspective. It seems at first glance to be unfair, but the old way was actually far worse in practice.

In the traditional common law, rape was: the vaginal penetration of a penis, by force, without the woman's consent, and against her will. The State had to prove "force" (generally, physical force), "without the woman's consent" (generally, physical or verbal cues would suffice, but it was the burden of the State to affirmatively prove the absence of consent), and "against her will" (generally, verbal AND physical resistance needed to be shown). In practice, the focus was pretty much entirely from the woman's perspective: What did she do to resist? What did she do to communicate her lack of consent? This approach not only made rape extremely difficult to prosecute, but it laid the burden upon the woman to perform physical and verbal actions to clearly communicate how very much she did not want to have sex. The State had to prove her actions, rather than his.

To make this history lesson short, rape reform generally changed the definition of rape to: sexual penetration without consent. Furthermore, the focus shifted from what the woman did, to the man's actions (actus reus) and his state of mind (mens rea). Rather than asking, "Did the woman physically fight back?" the question is now, "Did the man believe he had consent?" The State still has the burden to prove his lack of belief of receiving consent, and this still is generally done by looking at some of the woman's actions (e.g. "she said, 'I don't think I'm ready' and began to walk away, which no reasonable man could mistake for consent"), but it is still a much easier burden to meet, and the focus is more fairly upon the man's understanding.

My point in bringing this up is this: the over-simplification of "rape is rape" does a disservice for understanding what rape is. Rape is sexual penetration without consent, with the need for both the man's actus reus AND the mens rea. In other words, if a man has sex with a woman, and all the cues he's been given reasonably lead him to believe he has consent, and at no point does he receive signals that should lead him to believe he's lost his consent, then he is not guilty of rape, even if the woman herself believed she had not given consent. It seems unfair when I write it out this way, but it actually works in women's favor MUCH better, and also results in more fair outcomes for the man.

Now, like I said above, I don't think anyone should be having intercourse unless they have a clear go-ahead. That's not always verbal, but it should be clear. But when judging men accused of rape, we should at the very least be mindful that "reasonableness" and "belief" allow for a whole lot of ambiguity and gray areas. I admire the "rape is rape" message for promoting the acceptance of clear consent before intercourse, but that does not make it any less of a logical fallacy.

Conclusion
Don't have intercourse with ambiguous consent, people. Get clear consent. The legal line for intercourse and rape is never clear when applied on a case-by-case basis, so avoid the risk. Get clear consent. At the same time, when judging other people, don't assume that because the girl didn't actually want to have sex that the man is a dirtbag rapist. Maybe he is, but it shouldn't be a snap-judgment without consideration for whether or not he believed he had consent. If he did believe, and it was a reasonable belief considering the circumstances, then he did not criminally rape. Remember, there are two human beings involved. Never forget the woman's point of view, but also never forget the man's point of view.

With regards to women dressing a certain way or avoiding drinking at parties, remember that nothing justifies rape. Don't victim blame. It's a real thing, for some people. But also remember, for the majority of people, they are giving safety tips in "should" form, and nothing more. Most people do not relieve the rapist of any culpability regardless of the unsafe decisions of the victim, and most people do not shift blame from the rapist to the victim. So do not use strawmen, and let's discuss this reasonably so that we can both promote affirmative, clear consent before intercourse, and also proliferate appropriate and reasonable safety tips for women.

Nickiepoo

She wasn't talking about you specifically, but nice @ 'Feminists distorting my words to fit their narrative', real classy.

and btw, while you were asking a question and understanding the reasons behind her actions you still said of people taking cirtain precautions 'as a guy that shit pisses me off', which runs counter to being sympathetic to someone feeling the need to take those precautions in any situation.

"She's asking for it" = "I want to rape her" lol what a weird ad

Are you suggesting that this isn't a train of thought that actually happens?

Well to start, who determines what is reasonable?

While you may see, "drink less, always keep your eye on your drink, wear this, don't wear that" as reasonable, the people actually being affected might not. Saying that not interacting with men in a friendly capacity may seem to be a ridiculous extreme, or distrusting all men may be a ridiculous extreme, but where's the line there? We're ultimately giving one side certain things they should or shouldn't do because the other side might attack them.

In regards to the car vs. lightning storm - in a car, you always have to distrust the people around you, and assume that they don't know how to drive in order to maximize your safety. So yeah, you go inside during a lightning storm, but that doesn't mean that you don't take precautions in the car. And going down that line of thought, one precaution would indeed be for women to distrust all of the men around them.

Jasup

"She's asking for it" = "It's ok to rape her"

Fixed.

The message they're trying to get around is that it shouldn't be socially acceptable to force someone in sex in any situation. By saying "She's asking for it" you're basically saying, even if I wouldn't force her to sex, if someone did it'd be (even somewhat) acceptable in this circumstance.

It's not only about the individuals who commit rape, but the larger social climate where such acts are acceptable even condoned which is rotten. I've heard people even boasting openly how they planned to get girls drunk to the point of almost passing out so they could "persuade" them to have group sex with them, and many were ok with it. It's the climate with no social pressure against rape but rather supporting the rape culture that needs to be addressed as well as individual responsibility of not committing it.

These ads are very powerful, but the one I hate is the ad where the guy is abusing his girlfriend and you can see his inner self trying to stop him.
Sorry, but if you're a nut job that likes abusing girls I dont believe you have this conscience in your head trying to guide you away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzDr18UYO18

The guys a psychopath....and he's just about to rape her at the end. Such a crap message.

Is that the one with the guy banging on the glass? I don't really want to watch any more of these ads, they just make me feel really uncomfortable.

I think its good that they're there, especially since they're targeting younger people too, but Christ its unsettling to see on your tv. I guess that's the point though.

Vagabundo

Is that the one with the guy banging on the glass? I don't really want to watch any more of these ads, they just make me feel really uncomfortable.

I think its good that they're there, especially since they're targeting younger people too, but Christ its unsettling to see on your tv. I guess that's the point though.

Yeah or the ultra gory Drink Driving ads.

Not what I want to see while have a cup of tea and chilling out in front of the TV.

Bleepey

I have absolutely nothing against you, I was referring to people in the thread implying she was in the wrong for palming her drink. It's a hard line to walk when people are simultaneously saying "Do X to protect yourself" and "Don't do X, you'll look like a bitch". Saying "fucking feminists" isn't really helping you look good mate. I have no idea why you even felt the need to bring "feminism" into this at all.

It's feminist gaf that frequently brings up that thread as they did earlier to fit their narrative on the issue at hand. Being the starter of the thread when my views were constantly twisted and distorted I feel compelled to defend myself. I don,t hate feminism, I don't' agree with all of it and I think some can be kind of arrogant if honest. Some feminists I have debated have made me look at something in a different way and I did the same. Others have been "I am women hear me fair" and I proceed to quickly walk away.

PogiJones

Banned
Well to start, who determines what is reasonable?
If you're talking about the consent question for rape, a jury does. If you're talking about a reasonable safety precaution, the woman does. But that doesn't mean people shouldn't try to convince her that their opinion of what is reasonable is correct. That's what most communication is, is conveying your ideas to others with the hopes they'll be accepted.

While you may see, "drink less, always keep your eye on your drink, wear this, don't wear that" as reasonable, the people actually being affected might not. Saying that not interacting with men in a friendly capacity may seem to be a ridiculous extreme, or distrusting all men may be a ridiculous extreme, but where's the line there? We're ultimately giving one side certain things they should or shouldn't do because the other side might attack them.
Like I said, each individual decides what is reasonable and what is extreme. And there is nothing wrong with sharing your opinion as advice, hoping it will be adopted by other individuals.

In regards to the car vs. lightning storm - in a car, you always have to distrust the people around you, and assume that they don't know how to drive in order to maximize your safety. So yeah, you go inside during a lightning storm, but that doesn't mean that you don't take precautions in the car. And going down that line of thought, one precaution would indeed be for women to distrust all of the men around them.
You missed my point. My point was that the statistic that most rapes are perpetrated by familiars doesn't conclusively rebut the reasonableness of actions preventing rape by unknown perpetrators. It can be somewhat relevant to some people in their considerations, which is why I put it as a side note instead of as an item in the fallacy list, but the point was that preventative measures for minor risks are not all immediately rendered unreasonable by the existence of a greater risk.

Holy fuck there is a huge swatch of stupidity going on. I have to keep reminding myself that GAF has its' fair share of utter idiots who lack common sense, empathy and critical thinking abilities. It seems I have to remind myself hourly before I enter these threads. I seriously struggle to understand how some of you function in society and how you're this clueless about life.

Bleepey

She wasn't talking about you specifically, but nice @ 'Feminists distorting my words to fit their narrative', real classy.

and btw, while you were asking a question and understanding the reasons behind her actions you still said of people taking cirtain precautions 'as a guy that shit pisses me off', which runs counter to being sympathetic to someone feeling the need to take those precautions in any situation.

Are you suggesting that this isn't a train of thought that actually happens?

If the person I quoted in this thread want referring to me in particular then I apologise.
As for feminists distorting my views, I could bringing numerous examples where Devolution and friends distorted what I said. Just read that thread.
As for me saying that shit pisses me off, my point still stands. I can empathise with how women may feel unsafe walking the streets at night and if a girl crosses the road it shouldn't necessarily be taken personally even if it might annoy me somewhat. Hell I occasionally across the street myself and power on ahead.

I like to see the victim-blaming as a defense-mechanism for the horrible people who think it's easier to tell the victims to dress better, rather than fixing the rapists.

It makes it so much easier to have hope when you think everyone's who's stupid, is so because they are afraid.

Nickiepoo

It's feminist gaf that frequently brings up that thread as they did earlier to fit their narrative on the issue at hand. Being the starter of the thread when my views were constantly twisted and distorted I feel compelled to defend myself. I don,t hate feminism, I don't' agree with all of it and I think some can be kind of arrogant if honest. Some feminists I have debated have made me look at something in a different way and I did the same. Others have been "I am women hear me fair" and I proceed to quickly walk away.

The problem here is that you're saying correctly that it's specific people who are doing this, but also stick this label on the whole of 'feminist gaf'. If you believe in gender equality (which I'm assuming) you are a feminist, if you don't think you are then it's probably because you have a view of feminism based its most vocal individuals such that using the word 'feminism' as it applies to all of us as if it's dirty (which you did) does us all a disservice.

As for me saying that shit pisses me off, my point still stands.

It's not a personal insult and has some very clear reasoning behind it, particually given the wider context of potential victim blaming so I can't really understand why you see it as one. If you don't then I don't understand why it would piss you off though I do get that nobody likes being reminded that they can be seen as a would-be rapist.

So we are in agreement that using "feminist" is completely meaningless. Some gaffers assumed bad things about you in an old thread, why paint broad strokes against every single person who thinks women and men should have equal rights? This says absolutely nothing to me about feminism in that thread or this one. As several people have already mentioned, Fiction wasn't even making this about you, merely using a thread you created (quoting an entirely different poster) to back up her argument. No one is talking about feminists but you dude. Chill out.

If the person I quoted in this thread want referring to me in particular then I apologise.
As for feminists distorting my views, I could bringing numerous examples where Devolution and friends distorted what I said. Just read that thread.
As for me saying that shit pisses me off, my point still stands. I can empathise with how women may feel unsafe walking the streets at night and if a girl crosses the road it shouldn't necessarily be taken personally even if it might annoy me somewhat. Hell I occasionally across the street myself and power on ahead.

Come on man, it was six months ago....

If you're talking about the consent question for rape, a jury does. If you're talking about a reasonable safety precaution, the woman does. But that doesn't mean people shouldn't try to convince her that their opinion of what is reasonable is correct. That's what most communication is, is conveying your ideas to others with the hopes they'll be accepted.

Like I said, each individual decides what is reasonable and what is extreme. And there is nothing wrong with sharing your opinion as advice, hoping it will be adopted by other individuals.

Okay, so more objectively - isn't the woman being required to do more than a guy has to in taking these precautions?

And since it's the woman who is deciding what is and is not extreme, fallacy a) is rendered moot.

You missed my point. My point was that the statistic that most rapes are perpetrated by familiars doesn't conclusively rebut the reasonableness of actions preventing rape by unknown perpetrators. It can be somewhat relevant to some people in their considerations, which is why I put it as a side note instead of as an item in the fallacy list, but the point was that preventative measures for minor risks are not all immediately rendered unreasonable by the existence of a greater risk.

Alright; gotcha.

Bleepey

So we are in agreement that using "feminist" is completely meaningless. Some gaffers assumed bad things about you in an old thread, why paint broad strokes against every single person who thinks women and men should have equal rights? This says absolutely nothing to me about feminism in that thread or this one. As several people have already mentioned, Fiction wasn't even making this about you, merely using a thread you created (quoting an entirely different poster) to back up her argument. No one is talking about feminists but you dude. Chill out.

Come on man, it was six months ago....

Hmm fair enough, I can admit when I overreacted and I am somewhat still guess next time I'll name check certain gaffers rather than use broad terms.

derdriu

In Oslo it it is not uncommon for a girl to walk home on her own. It is her right to do so and both men and women should be able to walk home on their own and be safe. They should wear what they like, and be safe, they can sunbathe or swim naked and be safe.

But there has been a scary increase of rapes in the past 8 years in Oslo. In 2011 there were 4 rapes in the space of 5 hours in one night. Did people/officials advised women what to do, what to wear, remove the gender equality because its hard to fix and deal with the real problem so we will take some current freedoms from the victims instead?

No

Instead the city council started increasing lighting in the city and parks. A police task force was created to help prevent, understand and re-educate rapists and protect and help those who were raped, and a group of individuals started a volunteer group called the 'Night Ravens' who patrol the parks and city to help prevent attacks. And many gathered in the City to let their voice be heard

I had to use goole translate for the link:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aftenposten.no%2Fnyheter%2Firiks%2FOslo-folk-tok-natten-tilbake-6683755.html%23.Ub7uQfkwfnG

Has rape stopped in Oslo. No it hasn't, but it is a step in the right direction, and attacks are (very) slowly decreasing. Oslo made a clear statement that the rapists are wrong, and they need to change their behaviour, not women.

PogiJones

Banned
Okay, so more objectively - isn't the woman being required to do more than a guy has to in taking these precautions?
No, because she is not being required to do anything. She can go to all the shady areas she wants, drink all she wants, whatever. People are just giving her advice, which she can either be convinced by and adopt, or reject and ignore. Yes, the advice is directed at women more than men, because they are unfortunately at a much, much higher risk for being raped. It's unfortunate, but it's the truth. Rejecting truth because it's not as egalitarian as we would like is unwise.
And since it's the woman who is deciding what is and is not extreme, fallacy a) is rendered moot.
No, because fallacies undetected as fallacies can convince an audience to adopt an incorrect or unwise view. If a woman was debating whether to dress in more revealing or less revealing clothes, and she were to read a post saying, "Might as well lock them in the house!" and become disturbed by the extreme notion, and therefore disregard the post to which it was replying, without realizing why it was a fallacious argument, she may well be convinced to take different actions than she otherwise would have. That is not to say that the line she chooses for herself is necessarily wrong, but decisions should not be based on a logical fallacies, regardless if someone else reached the same decision by logically sound means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom