• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is "Wii HiFi" Nintendo's next console?

intheinbetween said:
on par with 360? :lol

My thoughts exactly, the next round of integrated graphics from both AMD and even Intel are set to offer more performance than that. Not even being able to match the Intel integrated graphics of the day is outright embarassing.

mehdi_san

They don't say it directly in the article, but I am pretty sure the logo is not real. They made it just to go with the article. I should have added it to the OP.
Also, the leak is not coming from Nintendo, but from developers (French developers?) who know about it and talked about it to the journalist.

Vinci

Danish
DeaconKnowledge said:
Again, nope. It's all about the games. Always has been. Graphics and technology in general matter, but only as far as it takes to deliver the entertainment.

For the Wii, motion was a means to an end - the manner in which they could deliver to you games like Wii Sports, Sports Resort et al. Nintendo didn't explode with the Wii just because they had motion, and by proxy MS and Sony aren't going to explode just because their graphics beasts have motion. It's all about the games.

Agreed. Software, software, software.

mehdi_san said:
They don't say it directly in the article, but I am pretty sure the logo is not real. They made it just to go with the article. I should have added it to the OP.
Also, the leak is not coming from Nintendo, but from developers (French developers?) who know about it and talked about it to the journalist.

Never trust French developers.

Even with Wii as popular as it is, the time is about right for Nintendo to at least mention its successor. It'll be 5 years old next year...and I don't know if it has a 6th year in it.

Poyunch

Got burned with the DSi (well not really). I'd be sort of skeptical in buying it if it were true. I know this gen is supposed to be longer than normal but I can't help but think that there are maybe one or two years left for this gen. That's maybe enough time to make some good games for the Hifi at the end but that might not be worth it.

Raistlin

TunaLover said:
It's probably fake, Iwata himself said that will not be great announcements this year. Furthermore the HI-FI logo shows amateurish problems, the "F" is not enough far from the "I", at least not the same distance that the "H" is from the "I" in HI. The"-" looks missplaced too not at the same level that the H horizontal line.

You do realize the logo was not made by Nintendo. So it has absolutely zero relevance in arguing whether this rumor may be true or not :lol

gerg

DeaconKnowledge said:
Again, nope. It's all about the games. Always has been. Graphics and technology in general matter, but only as far as it takes to deliver the entertainment.

For the Wii, motion was a means to an end - the manner in which they could deliver to you games like Wii Sports and Resort. Nintendo didn't explode with the Wii just because they had motion, and by proxy MS and Sony aren't going to explode just because their graphics beasts have motion. It's all about the games.

Sure. I don't deny this.

But my point is that, unless Nintendo can manoeuvre prominent third-party support itself (and most likely to the extent of significant third-party exclusives), I'm happy to argue that a large part of the 18-35 male demographic (that is, the audience Microsoft and Sony have dominated) prefer, all things being equal, good graphics: that is, if the exact same games are released on the Wii Hi-Fi and the 720/PS4, the only difference being noticeably better graphics on the latter, Nintendo would struggle to capture a large part of that lucrative 18-35 male demographic.

I'm not arguing that technology is important in and of itself.

Sanic

I really like the name, if this is true.

'HD' isn't fully global, as has been pointed out, and I think it's a bit too obvious for Nintendo.

brain_stew said:
Not even being able to match the Intel integrated graphics of the day is outright embarassing.

But they probably don't care, along with their audience. Time will tell.

don't know if serious.

but if serious, cool! I've personally been expecting an E3 surprise from Nintendo on the home console front ever since Miyamoto's recent admittance of Nintendo being threatened by Move & Natal.

I like the name, but if they announce it now, and it's not due out for another 18 months or so, wouldn't that seriously hurt current sales of the Wii?

Doesn't make sense to announce it so early.

Vinci

Danish
gerg said:
Sure. I don't deny this.

But my point is that, unless Nintendo can manoeuvre prominent third-party support itself (and most likely to the extent of significant third-party exclusives), I'm happy to argue that a large part of the 18-35 male demographic (that is, the audience Microsoft and Sony have dominated) prefer, all things being equal, good graphics: that is, if the exact same games are released on the Wii Hi-Fi and the 720/PS4, the only difference being noticeably better graphics on the latter, Nintendo will struggle to capture a large part of that lucrative 18-35 male demographic.

Nintendo is a software-driven company. They're not really accustomed to having to make their hardware appealing first and foremost, at least not in terms of capturing that demographic which is very tech driven. I doubt they'll ever get that demographic in any major way, unless Sony or MS drops out of the game.

cvxfreak

New console or not, I think the Wii is overdue for a refresh. Increase the amount of internal memory, add extra functionality (maybe DVD playback), remove GC ports, add new firmware that allows for the CC Pro and internal memory to work with GC titles, Wiimotes with built-in Motion+, etc.

If true, then that would make John Cusack the spokesman.

high_fidelity.jpg

yoopoo

Banned
People never learn, never believe the Europeans for your gaming rumors...specially the French.

Also, Zelda Wii delayed till 2011 :eek:

gerg

Vinci said:
Nintendo is a software-driven company. They're not really accustomed to having to make their hardware appealing first and foremost, at least not in terms of capturing that demographic which is very tech driven. I doubt they'll ever get that demographic in any major way, unless Sony or MS drops out of the game.

Sure. I don't mean to understate how difficult it would be for Nintendo to attract a significant part of that demographic - I just think that doing that I've discussed (alongside implementing a robust online system) would be a really good place to start.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I like it. As to those saying it sounds dated, most kids today probably don't associate HiFi with anything, as they weren't around during 80s.

Bentendo

scitek said:
That was also when Nintendo held one hour press conferences, this year it's two.

Well according to the rumor it'll be announced near the very end ala Twilight Princess and Other M, so it wouldn't take up much time. If they announce it they'll DEFINITELY not focus on it too much. Personally I think it'd be a bad idea to announce it at E3 since they probably want the press to write about the 3DS.

gerg said:
Sure. I don't deny this.

But my point is that, unless Nintendo can manoeuvre prominent third-party support itself (and most likely to the extent of significant third-party exclusives), I'm happy to argue that a large part of the 18-35 male demographic (that is, the audience Microsoft and Sony have dominated) prefer, all things being equal, good graphics: that is, if the exact same games are released on the Wii Hi-Fi and the 720/PS4, the only difference being noticeably better graphics on the latter, Nintendo will struggle to capture a large part of that lucrative 18-35 male demographic.

Still not sure I agree. I'm not a believer in the idea that the Wii was inherently a failure due to its graphics capabilities. To be frank, I think the Wii's Third party support shook down the way it did because All of the major developers assumed the Wii was dead in the water and treated it as such. By the time they realized the mistake this was, the lines in the sand were drawn. Would this necessarily happen if the Wii 2 was only a half step forward? No way to be sure, but I sincerely doubt it.

Bu-bu-bu I thought 3DS was supposed to have 360 graphics. :p

I'd actually really like this to be true (except for the name).. 360-level hardware is the sweet spot right now where they can make markedly better looking games at a low cost. It would be kind of foolish for them to go the elitist route and introduce a costly console.

Epcott

I'd like to call BS on this HiFi,
but the Wii sales overseas haven't been as explosive as they once were, which usually means (with their portables) this is the time they announce an extension/remodel/new console.

I see something being mentioned around TGS more than E3...
I mean, if this is true and what nots

From the sound of the article (and from the few murmers we heard in the past), Nintendo doesn't plan on drastically changing the input this time around. At the same time, if Natal and Move are out next year are cheaper, and have a higher userbase than Nintendo's new system, where does that leave Nintendo?

And doesn't Nintendo run the risk of catching Dreamcast syndrome if it comes out with a comparable, but weaker system a year ahead of the pack?

As for power, I'm hoping for it to be AT LEAST the Wii to 360's Gamecube if that analogy makes any sense.

Vinci

Danish
gerg said:
Sure.

I just think that doing that I've discussed (alongside implementing a robust online system) would be a really good place to start.

Oh yeah, the question is whether they feel there's any real incentive to do that given the current climate of the industry. Even if Nintendo were to come out with a technologically competitive (or better) system, with an online system that isn't quite up to XBL but isn't far off either, I have great doubts that the demographic your discussing would give them the time of day.

As long as Sony and MS are catering solely to that demographic's needs, members of that demo have no reason to go anywhere else - least of all to a company that really doesn't market software designed specifically for them.

This is a similar problem MS and Sony will run into with Natal and Move: If the audience you're attempting to attract is fully satisfied where it is, does it matter what you offer?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Sounds about right esp the NOV 2011 date

Nintendo releases a new console every six years

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
brain_stew said:
My thoughts exactly, the next round of integrated graphics from both AMD and even Intel are set to offer more performance than that. Not even being able to match the Intel integrated graphics of the day is outright embarassing.
So the 360's graphics are embarassing? What? The point is to offer a super low price point(and/or a super high profit margin) at launch like the Wii did. I would hope that the next-gen Wii can beat this gen's graphics by at least a little bit but it honestly isn't that big a deal and we all know it.

Utter bollocks. The name doesn't even make sense :lol

If they were to go for an easily understandable name then "Wii HD" or "Wii Plus" would be much more suitable.

seady

Doubt it. Why would they announce a system 18 months before release? To kill Wii's sale and let 360/PS3 catch up more quickly?

The reason why the Wii and PS3 announced so much earlier before they came to market was because their competitor (Microsoft) planned to release their system a year ahead of them.

gerg

The problem with this thread is the logo. It makes the rumours feel much more tangible than they really are.

The name Wii HiFi seems a bit out there (even though I'd love it if only because it would seemingly commit Nintendo to better audio standards) but I have no trouble believing that a new home console is waiting in the wings for release in the near future.

If the rationale that justifies a 3DS this year, that is release shortly after the predecessor's peak, then the next Wii needs to be here soon.

If its true then Nintendo must have found a piece of software they think is compelling enough in an online environment that people would buy an entire console for it.

Smells like Pokemon and/or Farmville.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
People complaining that the name doesn't mean anything are lulz, have you forgotten who we're talking about?

Still skeptical of this though, if anything the name makes too much sense for Nintendo to have come up with it.

Bentendo

TheKingsCrown said:
If its true then Nintendo must have found a piece of software they think is compelling enough in an online environment that people would buy an entire console for it.

Smells like Pokemon and/or Farmville.

Smells like shut up and don't say such things.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
brain_stew said:
well, on par with 360(/Ps3) seems to be synonyms of current gen right now. it could be Ion2 based and still be clasified as on par with 360.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Fourth Storm said:
From the sound of the article (and from the few murmers we heard in the past), Nintendo doesn't plan on drastically changing the input this time around. At the same time, if Natal and Move are out next year are cheaper, and have a higher userbase than Nintendo's new system, where does that leave Nintendo?

And doesn't Nintendo run the risk of catching Dreamcast syndrome if it comes out with a comparable, but weaker system a year ahead of the pack?

As for power, I'm hoping for it to be AT LEAST the Wii to 360's Gamecube if that analogy makes any sense.
No. Launching a new console wouldn't be a response to MS and Sony launching Natal and Move.

Nintendo is really good at predicting downward trends. If you go back and look at when the DS Lite and DSi were announced, it was always after a slow downward trend of hardware and software sales.

Now, the Wii is seeing an always decreasing number of announcements from third parties. In Japan, this has been especially noticeable for a while. Third parties are bailing the fuck out en masse and those who stay have very few titles of large appeal that are guaranteed to get blockbuster levels of sales, with some possible breakouts and many probable failures.

Yes, Nintendo software does always sell incredible amounts, but third party software sales bring home a significant amount of royalty money that I really doubt Nintendo wants to give up so easily.

Considering how the Wii seems to be in a downward trend in both hardware and software sales everywhere, I wouldn't really be surprised if they decided to launch another platform soon.

Their goal might not be replacing the Wii, even though "fastest-selling console ever" doesn't really mean much if revenue is going down, but at least placing something else on its side and let the market decide.

With this I'm not saying OMG THEY'RE GOING TO ANNOUNCE WII HD NAO!!!!111! I'm just saying that, if they did, it wouldn't be so puzzling and random. It would make a lot of sense.

demolitio

learnedhand said:
I like the name, but if they announce it now, and it's not due out for another 18 months or so, wouldn't that seriously hurt current sales of the Wii?

Doesn't make sense to announce it so early.

I was just about to say that now I'm putting off buying a Wii that I was going to get today since I didn't think anything was coming. I guess it'd be smart to wait til' next week just in case anything happens anyway. It'd be a hard decision if this was true since I'll want to get Zelda Wii as soon as it comes out.

Top Bottom