• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ISIS Enshrines a Theology of Rape (NYT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/08/1...hrines-a-theology-of-rape.html?referrer=&_r=0

QADIYA, Iraq — In the moments before he raped the 12-year-old girl, the Islamic State fighter took the time to explain that what he was about to do was not a sin. Because the preteen girl practiced a religion other than Islam, the Quran not only gave him the right to rape her — it condoned and encouraged it, he insisted.

He bound her hands and gagged her. Then he knelt beside the bed and prostrated himself in prayer before getting on top of her.

When it was over, he knelt to pray again, bookending the rape with acts of religious devotion.

“I kept telling him it hurts — please stop,” said the girl, whose body is so small an adult could circle her waist with two hands. “He told me that according to Islam he is allowed to rape an unbeliever. He said that by raping me, he is drawing closer to God,” she said in an interview alongside her family in a refugee camp here, to which she escaped after 11 months of captivity.

This is some heartbreaking stuff.

The systematic rape of women and girls from the Yazidi religious minority has become deeply enmeshed in the organization and the radical theology of the Islamic State in the year since the group announced it was reviving slavery as an institution. Interviews with 21 women and girls who recently escaped the Islamic State, as well as an examination of the group’s official communications, illuminate how the practice has been enshrined in the group’s core tenets.

“He said that raping me is his prayer to God. I said to him, ‘What you’re doing to me is wrong, and it will not bring you closer to God.’ And he said, ‘No, it’s allowed. It’s halal,’ ” said the teenager, who escaped in April with the help of smugglers after being enslaved for nearly nine months.

Full article at the link. Great reporting from the New York Times, especially getting interviews from victims, but also very depressing.

R8TEDM3

Wow! Just wow, I don't even have the words for all this:(

Is it really true that according to Islam "he is allowed to rape an unbeliever"?

entremet

The last two or three paragraphs in the article are some real Trigger Warning Not Being Ironic No Joke stuff.

Holy crap! Poor girl.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I'm really struggling to come up with an appropriate term besides the usual "animals" and "barbarians".

There just aren't words to describe them. Sub-human scum.

Chariot

Is it really true that according to Islam "he is allowed to rape an unbeliever"?
As true as christinianity endorsed Breivik. There are different ways to interpret holy books, but some people just spin shit around so it fits their own crimes and agendas. Remember that ISIS follow a nutcase branch of Islam most other muslims are scared of.

dabig2

This is what happens when your deciding basis for morality comes from bronze age men doing bronze age shit. We let marauding and raping warlords write down fundamentals that never change (we do however, but the text doesn't).

B.O.O.M

Yep this is not what I needed to see first thing in the morning...now I start the day pissed off..

FUCK these scum!

jtb

Banned
I have to imagine sex slavery is a huge reason why so many young Western males are willing to radicalize. They do it because of the culture of rape, not in spite of it.

and the sad thing is that a bunch of their recruits are ill educated so some buffoons will of course believe them while others will not even care

these guys are modern day bandits.... they're in their own little bubble

I'm really struggling to come up with an appropriate term besides the usual "animals" and "barbarians".

There just aren't words to describe them. Sub-human scum.

Sadly, this stuff is all too human. Granted, I don't know that rape has often been so central to an ideology, rather than merely a byproduct of conquest, but human history is full of heinous shit like this.

Chariot

I have to imagine sex slavery is a huge reason why so many young Western males are willing to radicalize.
I think it's part of the enablement foof doing things you can't do in civilized society. Murder, pillage, rape; many imagine a fantasy like the wild west or fantasy medieval times where "men were still men" I presume.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
These vile fucking animals. The atrocities they keep committing, day after day... this shit needs to stop. The greatest evil of our time.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Sadly, this stuff is all too human. Granted, I don't know that rape has often been so central to an ideology, rather than merely a byproduct of conquest, but human history is full of heinous shit like this.

I get that, it's a very valid point.

Perhaps it would be more appropriate to say that human culture has evolved beyond this, and to be considered "human" in the 21st century you need to understand that shit like this is no longer tolerable. These guys are just... I don't know, technically homo sapiens at best.

squall211

I have to imagine sex slavery is a huge reason why so many young Western males are willing to radicalize. They do it because of the culture of rape, not in spite of it.

I can't even wrap my head around this line of thinking. Not your post, just that people actually would join for those reasons.

I think it's part of the enablement foof doing things you can't do in civilized society. Murder, pillage, rape; many imagine a fantasy like the wild west or fantasy medieval times where "men were still men" I presume.
This big post-apocalyptic dream some have is a bit the same. Sad stuff.

I really don't know how they can fix this. Seems like the thing to do is for Turkey to come across the border and work with Iraq to wipe them out or something. But that is easier sad then done and creates tons of other trouble.

SuperHans

and the sad thing is that a bunch of their recruits are ill educated so some buffoons will of course believe them while others will not even care

these guys are modern day bandits.... they're in their own little bubble

And a bunch of them are highly educated western raised Muslims. What's their excuse?

entremet

They're trying really hard to piss off all the western nations.

How do we deal with them?

This is why conventional warfare rarely works with these agile groups.

-They're enmeshed in civilian societies.

-They have huge recruitment networks.

-Their participants are mostly volunteer true believers, willing to die for their causes.

Very hard to deal with conventionally.

Compare that to a modern army:

-Wants to limit casualties due to public opinion

-Best designed for hard targets.

-Unfamiliar terrority.

They're trying really hard to piss off all the western nations.

I wonder how the net result is, the thousands traveling from those Western nations to join them against the bombs being dropped. The ISIS promise of divinely blessed murder, rape and plunder is proving irresistable for a crazy amount of young muslims.

Just a bunch of fucking animals using god as an excuse to feed their desire to rape and demean women and children. You can spew whatever bullshit you want to try and justify it, doesn't make you any better of a human being.

Chariot

This big post-apocalyptic dream some have is a bit the same. Sad stuff.

I really don't know how they can fix this. Seems like the thing to do is for Turkey to come across the border and work with Iraq to wipe them out or something. But that is easier sad then done and creates tons of other trouble.

I wonder how the net result is, the thousands traveling from those Western nations to join them against the bombs being dropped. The ISIS promise of divinely blessed murder, rape and plunder is proving irresistable for a crazy amount of young muslims.
I think the best thing we could do would be to show more often what a pain in the ass all the rules are. Show less destruction that let them look powerful and more how they get executed for simple pleasures, how they have to do strict religious acts all the time, everything that could discourage nuts on a personal basis.

There are sadly not many and no easy ways to weed out the bad apples from our societies.

grumble

And a bunch of them are highly educated western raised Muslims. What's their excuse?

During war situations systematic rape is a common tool both to recruit and reward young men and to intimidate the population. This is not relegated to extremist Muslims - japan did in in ww2 at a huge scale, and frankly so have many of our ancestors most likely. Invading forces often do this.

It's horrific. I hope they get put down.

KooopaKid

Banned
It's like a parody. How evil/ignorant can an entity get? Their actions are getting worse and worse. The Nazis are starting to look like a bunch of nice guys compared to them.
Is there even any civilians that supports them?

like I said those people wouldn't care... they already have jumped off the deep end and did a bunch of shit that was not part of their faith... adding other atrocities to their list is unfortunately very common to them.

Anyone who tries and refutes gets killed like all those scholars who were killed early on.

They don't follow Islam anymore.... they don't follow the holidays (banned Eid and Ramadan prayers), they don't follow most of its laws, and they don't follow the prophets teachings and believe their little "caliph" can over right rules.
These are the guys who do cocaine before entering battle, these are the guys who throw people off of buildings or burn them alive, these are the guys who want to destroy the Kaaba, and the list goes on and on. They of course are in their own little world now.

Like other times of warring states a bunch of people are in it for their own selfish reasons putting whatever banner in front of them to "justify" their cause.

Jacobi

Banned
Just like back in Cambodia people are doing fucked up shit and the world is watching... And a lot more of what they are doing will come out if they will be destroyed...

The rich playboys in the middle east need to stop buying cars and living here in Europe and the US and start sorting out their own back yeards.

Why is it USA and European countries who have to roll up or sleeves and get dirty.

And no. Not listening to its our foreign policy shite which is the cause.

The middle east feels like it's stuck in the dark ages and its this nonsense called religion which is half the problem.

entremet

Just because you're highly educated and grew up in a Western society doesn't mean you're immune to ISIS's recruitment efforts.

Cults don't appeal to reason. That's not how they work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom