• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israel Successfully Hacked ISIS Computers; Trump Leaked It to the Russians, NYT Repor

I honestly couldn't have imagined a worse scenario.

America is a fucking lost cause as a country.
The fact that the entire country isn't out protesting this dumbfuck's presidency and forcing him out is just depressing.

Unfortunately, there plenty of underlying factors (like the high ratio of fucktards with guns) making a situation like what happened to Park Geun- hye in SK completely impossible.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I might be wrong, but isn't the NYT reporting this making things worse? Until now ISIS probably thought somebody snitched the plans or went looking for a Mossad spy among them. Now they just have to check their security. Made it so much easier for ISIS.
Yeah I still don't get how it isn't the press who haven't leaked all this stuff. From what we know, Trump told the Russians that they had credible intelligence from a partner that ISIS were planning to use laptop batteries in an attack on X city. The press have revealed all the rest of the stuff, that this information existed, who discovered the information and how.

Kinyou

It's treason, then.
That's exactly what I'd expect trump to do if he ever gets impeached

fOFdKYk.gif

(probably with less light saber and more screaming)

Dryk

You know how you wake up thinking: I am past the "Trump will not get any worse" phase and I am now on the "What terrible thing did he do now?" phase, and STILL get shocked by everything that is happening around this administration.
You get used to that shock after a while but it never stops (source: I was politically active during the Abbott government)

Beartruck

Your president is absolutely insane, America. ONE of these reports would break any government in the world, and this guy has a few of this caliber per month. How much is it gonna take for diehards to realize this guy is not fit for his position?????
A recession. People in america are greedy fucks. It doesn't matter until they get punched in the wallet.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
But he never said Israel... This is SOLELY on the fake and lying media!!!

Oh course the orange buffoon destroys one of the good chances we've had of infiltrating ISIS.
Yeah, but then he came out stating that he never mentioned Israel. That's as good as telling the Russians it was Israel in the first place lol.

Condom

It makes you think he wants a terror attack so his agenda can get pushed through. He is boastful but this helps terrorists.
How does this help terrorists? Sound like the guy leaking this is helping terrorists instead, now everyone knows what leaked. Russia (and if they forwarded it, Iran) are fighting against ISIS.

It's precisely the US and the gulf nations that have a, well, more complicated relationship with the latter.

Kyzer

Banned
ok the press needs to chill with leaking classified information too though, no one knew it was from israel and no one knew specifically what it was until the press clarified in order to hurt trump, as entertaining as it is. leaking to the russians was already terrible enough

According to the report, the information was so good that it allowed the United States to learn that the terror cell was working on explosives that could fool airport security by passing as a laptop battery.

I guess this is where the laptop ban must have started then and why it was implemented so quickly from travel from some countries. Israel must have been acting on very good intelligence that it might have been imminent.

Pretty fucking crazy that Trump just shares this information with Russia, given that they're strong allies with Iran, Israel's chief adversary, and the one that funds terrorist networks in Israel, Lebanon, and Syria, that orchestrate weekly terrorist attacks in Israel.

ok the press needs to chill with leaking classified information too though, no one knew it was from israel and no one knew specifically what it was until the press clarified in order to hurt trump, as entertaining as it is. leaking to the russians was already terrible enough

The press doesn't leak anything. The press reports what individuals in Trump's administration are leaking to them.

rjinaz

Could you imagine Obama pulling anything like this? The republicans would storm the fucking white house to take him out.

Nuh uh! Ryan said they wouldn't. No hypocrisy to see here, no hypocrisy. And what are you going to believe, reality or Republicans?

shem935

Banned

What's to hurt here really?

There isn't a threat from isis learning of this, they already knew. Why? Because trump leaked it.

Well what about sources and methods? Nope those could be deduced from the info trump leaked and then later confirmed by saying "I never said Israel!"

And as we have seen government agencies have already taken the necessary steps to protect people on planes.

So what's to be gained by further silence? Who wins in that scenario? Our allies? No they don't trust us anymore anyway. Our intelligence agencies? Nope they already got fucked over by trumps loud mouth.

The only people who conceivably gain by this info not being revealed is the trump admin. Why? Because it exposes how stupid they are. How incompetent they are. It is a disservice to Americans and the world at large if they are ignorant to how stupid and incompetent this admin is. This is critical information for the public to know.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Much as I love negative news about Trump, was it really necessary to report details of what he leaked to Russia? Unless I'm missing something in the story about the damage being done, wouldn't keeping the details quiet still have been prudent?

SgtCobra

According to the report, the information was so good that it allowed the United States to learn that the terror cell was working on explosives that could fool airport security by passing as a laptop battery.
Jesus fuck that is terrifying as hell.

Yup, people still convinced that he's innocent, huh.

The fact that the entire country isn't out protesting this dumbfuck's presidency and forcing him out is just depressing.

Um you do realize that the majority of the country cannot simply go out and protest, even if people wanted to, because they have other things to do. It doesn't work like that.

Unfortunately, there plenty of underlying factors (like the high ratio of fucktards with guns) making a situation like what happened to Park Geun- hye in SK completely impossible.
People have mentioned it before (and even referenced South Korea!), but geography also plays a major role. Not everyone has hours or days to spare for multi million person marches, demonstrations and protests for days, weeks and months on end. The US is huge (unlike France, Japan and South Korea) and many of the people being hurt most by Trump and Republican policies can't even afford the travel costs to begin with.

mess
Does this say he leaked sources or methods? That would be a huge revelation.
See:
"I never said Israel!"

Netanyahus face in that exchange...

I know this is another fuck trump thread, but reading this is what pisses me off the most...fuxking animals.

Much as I love negative news about Trump, was it really necessary to report details of what he leaked to Russia? Unless I'm missing something in the story about the damage being done, wouldn't keeping the details quiet still have been prudent?
Eh. If the press is able to get hold of this information, that means that all the relevant players already would have had it as well. If the NYT sources can get this info, no way their sources wouldn't have been able to. That seems tenuous at best.

The point of the press reporting on this is that while various intelligence agencies likely knew all this at this point, the public doesn't. They're reporting on it to establish just how huge the nature of Trump's leak was and to keep the administration from being effectively able to minimize it or treat it as if it wasn't a big deal at all, due to only vague details being available. The damage has already been done from the leak itself, and from the combination of that and the initial news stories, there's really little doubt all the relevant players wouldn't be able to figure out what's going on. This just seems to be about keeping pressure on the Trump administration, not letting them minimize the nature of the leak of information, and letting the public understand just how much of a big deal Trump's misconduct really was.

That's the way I'm understanding it anyway. I could quite easily be mistaken, of course (and quite possibly am), but that's my grasp of the situation from the various stories I've read about this.

Did you ever take a moment to ask yourself the question "Why are these people leaking these details?" We're talking about people who 1. Know the risks of leaking information and 2. Are loyal to the united states.

They are leaking because they feel the american public has a right to know the current president is damaging the U.S.A's geopolitical position. Could you imagine dedicating a career spanning decades in the espionage war against russia, only to have it pissed away because a certain american electorate hates liberals so much they will give our enemies geopolitical victories we've had for ourselves?

That doesn't exactly fly with people who actually understand the nature of U.S - Russia relations.

Top Bottom