• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israel Successfully Hacked ISIS Computers; Trump Leaked It to the Russians, NYT Repor

Culex

Banned
I'm eagerly awaiting a political cartoon that shows Trump as a projector. The legs of the projector are his arms and legs with TINY hands. The projector lense is his mouth, and the screen on the wall shows in orange letters "projector-in-chief".

it's fucked for sure he is doing things that may indirectly or perhaps worst case directly cost lives, but he himself as far as we know is not a cold blooded killer like the underwoods.

People burying loved ones earlier than necessary won't probably make the distinction.

At least the Underwoods were attacking specific enemies, few really.

Whereas the consequences behind Trumps shit is far more dangerous.

I'd take an airplane pilot that's a psychopath murderer but with a tonne of experience of flying planes.

Over Hanz Moleman fresh off his piloting course.

Kenai

God this is a shitshow. Every day is worse. I want accountability for this and everything else so bad and yet I'm so unsure since this is just another (big) thing to add to the pile. Seriously, fuck him and his supporters. They all need to literally be thrown to the curb.

it's fucked for sure he is doing things that may indirectly or perhaps worst case directly cost lives, but he himself as far as we know is not a cold blooded killer like the underwoods.

We probably shouldn't go down this path of moving goalposts to clarify how directly or indirectly of a taker of lives he is. I feel that wouldn't end well.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
You know, when he was elected, I didnt think he would be bad. I thought he would be humdrum at best, maybe even good if he really did spend on infrastructure and was tough on terror etc.

But this guy! This guy!

Nobility

Banned
Damn, I'm impressed the patience Israel has on this.

This could have destroyed the relationship on both sides no matter what political forces want.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I fucking hate this guy so much. He is literally the most dangerous person in the world right now (that's hyperbole, but by how much, really?).

He needs to go. Period.

ReAxion

so when he blurts out he never said "Israel" to the Russians and there's an absurd mention of a laptop ban out of nowhere, we know exactly what he's divulging.

People burying loved ones earlier than necessary won't probably make the distinction.

At least the Underwoods were attacking specific enemies, few really.

Whereas the consequences behind Trumps shit is far more dangerous.

I'd take an airplane pilot that's a psychopath murderer but with a tonne of experience of flying planes.

Over Hanz Moleman fresh off his piloting course.
i'd rather take no president at all tbh if it came down to that.
We probably shouldn't go down this path of moving goalposts to clarify how directly or indirectly of a taker of lives he is. I feel that wouldn't end well.
i've said my piece anyways.

We have an investigation into Trump that'll likely take years to bear fruit.

Meanwhile, the ratfuck piece of shit is causing irreparable harm to our country and our allies every single day.

Fucking Hell.

Not

Banned
Trump literally aided Isis

Like, literally. And directly.

He helped the 'terrorist Muslims.'

BUT I GUESS HE'S REPUBLICAN AND BUT HILLARY

argh

Jag

How did he aid ISIS?

They may not have know that Israel hacked their computers. From the NYT it looks like it was a low tech job using human intel over fancy hacker software. So lives were probably put in danger as well.

Afrikan

Well, this is much, much worse than the initially reported laptop bomb leak.

With ISIS potentiality get word of this during that time and making changes...*smh*

We all might have lost some valuable time with the war on terrorism.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
From my naive point of view, it would be immoral not to share the terrorist threat type of information with countries that could be affected by it in the future. Doesn't ISIS hate Russia as well? I'm probably being terribly naive here and missing nuance and context though. *edit* I can't stand Trump as much as anyone here, but to me this seems like a weird thing to blame him for.

They may not have know that Israel hacked their computers. From the NYT it looks like it was a low tech job using human intel over fancy hacker software. So lives were probably put in danger as well.
Why is it assumed that Russia already leaked this information to ISIS, before this article came out? Actually, in a way, wouldn't it be obvious that US has some info about it from all the talks about banning laptops from European flights?

From my naive point of view, it would be immoral not to share the terrorist threat type of information with countries that could be affected by it in the future. Doesn't ISIS hate Russia as well? I'm probably being terribly naive here and missing nuance and context though.

Why is it assumed that Russia already leaked this information to ISIS, before this article came out?

It gets complicated real fast when there are dozens of actors involved. The issue is that Russia has close ties to Iran, who has an adversarial relationship with Israel. So Russia tells Iran who uses that info against Israel.

Don't think of countries "hating" other countries. Instead think of a complex web of aggression, advantage, and co-operation. Russia will do what it needs to do to help itself, as will Israel, Iran and the US.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It gets complicated real fast when there are dozens of actors involved. The issue is that Russia has close ties to Iran, who has an adversarial relationship with Israel. So Russia tells Iran who uses that info against Israel.

Don't think of countries "hating" other countries. Instead think of a complex web of aggression, advantage, and co-operation. Russia will do what it needs to do to help itself, as will Israel, Iran and the US.
I see (and I read more about it now). This could have cost lives of Israel's agents, and of course ruin their relationship with US.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Is it less treasonous somehow to blatantly blab top secret information nonstop than it is to potentially have insecure emails? Does it stop being treason simply because the president is doing it? I can't imagine normal civilians leaking secrets to foreign agencies consistently getting a free pass.

Jag

I see (and I read more about it now). This could have cost lives of Israel's agents, and of course ruin their relationship with US.

In addition to the risk to humint assets, supposedly only the Israeli cybersecurity apparatus has made inroads into ISIS' low tech infrastructure and the risk now is that they will be much more reluctant and less capable to go after ISIS and share the info with a President who will then leak their intel to the sponsor (Russia) of their mortal enemies (Iran, Hamas and Hezbollah).

My guess is the former security admin tasked Israel with helping cyber-fight ISIS but not at the risk of it getting back to Iran, et al. According to a NYT article, the US was not doing well in cyberwarfare against ISIS. The best they could do was shut down news sites, which would then pop up again. I'm sure there is more to this we don't even know.

KooopaKid

Banned
Not sure what's the deal is with Iran knowing this kind of info? Is Iran supporting ISIS? I thought it was Saudi Arabia and/or Quatar?

Let's say they kept the information secret and ISIS were successful in detonate one of them on Russian flight or airport.

Enter Modern Warfare 2.

I believe this sort of intel should be shared among all countries fighting ISIS regardless of their geopolitical policies.

This sort of shit puts everyone at risk, who knows who will be onboard of those flights.

Put it like this, thanks to Trump, now all of us know that the Israelis had compromised ISIS tech. You know who else knows now? Fucking ISIS. And every bit of even suspected compromised equipment will have been destroyed. So that's why you don't just blurt this shit out trying to impress other leaders.

An apologist on the first page! Multiple security experts who have spent their lifetimes in intelligence have said this was wrong and damaging to US credibility, but I'm glad we have HighResTomato to shut them all down.

The GOP will probably literally let him kill someone and get away with it.

They would allow him to do it on camera.

In the oval office. A fucking Manhunt 2 style execution.

John McCain would call it "concerning" and Paul Ryan would tell the world how new to this he is.

Atenhaus

I've got a lot of fucking misgivings with the Israeli government, but their counterintel apparatus is *not* something you want to trifle with. They have consistently provided us with accurate and actionable intelligence and we're within hair's breadth of torching the entire relationship.

Fuck.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Let's say they kept the information secret and ISIS were successful in detonate one of them on Russian flight or airport.

Enter Modern Warfare 2.

I believe this sort of intel should be shared among all countries fighting ISIS regardless of their geopolitical policies.

This sort of shit puts everyone at risk, who knows who will be onboard of those flights.
The problem is revealing who obtained that info and how.

Also, if ISIS legitimately did have explosives which could bypass airport screenings,Trump provided an inadequate response in banning electronics from certain locations. Anyone could carry out this kind of attack from any airport, all they would have to do is travel from a non-banned departure /airline.

He's getting people killed.

Top Bottom