• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It feels like Capcom is one of the last real ones who still make sick-ass games

Drizzlehell

Banned
This is just a general appreciation thread for current day Capcom.

Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, Street Fighter... and a bunch of other, franchises that haven't gotten a lot of follow-ups recently, but at least they're still being kept alive and available for purchase on most platforms. Games like Lost Planet, Bionic Commando, Dragon's Dogma, Mega Man, and so on.

Whenever I fire up one of their games, it's like they always make sure to stick to their roots and only update the things that should be updated, such as graphics, controls, and maybe some minor mechanics. But everything else about them feels like I'm still playing those good 'ol games from the PS2 era that were sick back then and are still sick today. None of that bullshit with dumbed down mechanics so that babies could play those games, or some annoying, monotone, and pretentious "cinematic" storytelling or whatever. Yeah, their games can still be cinematic, but they never do it in a way that would overwhelm the entire experience and put you to sleep on your couch at the same time. No, their way of doing a cinematic game is exciting, tension-building, atmospheric, or just a pure spectacle with plenty of charm to it. And most importantly, it only serves to give some context to gameplay, which is always the primary focus.

Even if the games themselves have their ups and downs (not all of them are 10/10 bangers after all), they at least feel like fucking video games, and that's what I appreciate about them the most.

And now, let's look at this fucking guy again:

giphy.gif

Comandr

One of my favorite things about capcom is their attention to detail. This goes as far back as I can remember with Meganman X, with the order that you beat bosses can affect other stages. Like how Storm Eagle's ship crashes through Spark Mandrill's stage, knocking out the power. Amazing.

RevGaming

You SPEAKING TRUTH AND ONLY THE TRUTH MY BROTHER. Only third party publisher that releases quality back2 back.

Only publishers that could go head to head with Sony if we look at just games available on ps5, althought sony has the edge on storytelling.

Last edited:
Yeah there are certain titles in media that i consider "nasty". And ever since the whole "FROMSOFT makes the best action games" alot of gamers dont know what "nasty" is anymore.

Demon souls isnt nasty

Devil may cry 3-5? Nasty, bayonetta? Nasty

One punch man season 2 wasnt nasty

One punch man season 1? By studio bones? That boros fight? NASTY.

Bourne identity is a great movie, but it isnt Nasty...

The raid series? The final fight in the raid 2? NASTY

Call of duty isnt nasty....cool game

Doom eternal? NASTY.

Seeing a pattern here? Lots of asian influence too, westerners arent as good at NASTY unfortunately.

Not alot of titles are nasty, id say only 3% of titles in any artform reach what I call "nasty" in the action genre

Nasty is only in the mind of the creator, not everyone can do it, it defies budget. Its the reason why a monty oumm video like dead fantasy can make me go "god damn that was nasty" and a marvel film cannot (although they've had moments)

Capcom still has some nasty in them, as does platinum games, ID software , and pearl abyss.

Be more nasty everyone, embrace nasty.

Last edited:

RevGaming

Not just Capcom. Square, Atlus, NIS, Nintendo are keeping authentic JPN gaming highly relevant.
Atlus is just one dev.
Square is just FF for now so I disagree.

Can't comment on the other two since it's been long I had a nintendo console, but they are critically acclaim.

Aldric

They make good games, but the variety and creativity of their output has collapsed and if you don't care about Resident Evil, Monster Hunter or Street Fighter there's very little you can get from them right now.

Compare to the past where they created games as varied as Power Stone, Haunting Ground, Steel Battallion, Maximo, Onimusha, God Hand, Okami, Ghost Trick, Lost Planet, all their different fighting game IPs like Darkstalkers/Vampire, Rival Schools, Capcom vs SNK... Now they only have Exoprimal that no one cares about and that Pragmata thing that seems to be a new Deep Down.

Roni

Gold Member

Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, Street Fighter... and a bunch of other, franchises that haven't gotten a lot of follow-ups recently, but at least they're still being kept alive and available for purchase on most platforms. Games like Lost Planet, Bionic Commando, Dragon's Dogma, Mega Man, and so on.

Whenever I fire up one of their games, it's like they always make sure to stick to their roots and only update the things that should be updated, such as graphics, controls, and maybe some minor mechanics. But everything else about them feels like I'm still playing those good 'ol games from the PS2 era that were sick back then and are still sick today. None of that bullshit with dumbed down mechanics so that babies could play those games, or some annoying, monotone, and pretentious "cinematic" storytelling or whatever. Yeah, their games can still be cinematic, but they never do it in a way that would overwhelm the entire experience and put you to sleep on your couch at the same time. No, their way of doing a cinematic game is exciting, tension-building, atmospheric, or just a pure spectacle with plenty of charm to it. And most importantly, it only serves to give some context to gameplay, which is always the primary focus.

Even if the games themselves have their ups and downs (not all of them are 10/10 bangers after all), they at least feel like fucking video games, and that's what I appreciate about them the most.

giphy.gif

Yes and it speaks volumes that they're doing it by employing an old strategy of actually designing their games for genres and niches.

Last edited:

KàIRóS

I'm playing through the Megaman Network Collection right now and it's reminding me of how huge the Megaman lore and universe is, they can't just let this franchise die like this.

Man if only they were more willing to revive old IPs, Onimusha, Dino Crisis, Megaman, Breath of Fire hell even Lost Planet, I mean I get it, the amount of money they get from RE, MH and SF has pushed them to heavily focus on those 3 but I would really like to play their old franchises even if it's just in AA quality.

Alebrije

Guess Atlus also keeps the same soul as Capcom...but Capcom is bigger and has mor impact on industry....it one of the few Great Old Ones that still rocks.

Alebrije

I'm playing through the Megaman Network Collection right now and it's reminding me of how huge the Megaman lore and universe is, they can't just let this franchise die like this.

Man if only they were more willing to revive old IPs, Onimusha, Dino Crisis, Megaman, Breath of Fire hell even Lost Planet, I mean I get it, the amount of money they get from RE, MH and SF has pushed them to heavily focus on those 3 but I would really like to play their old franchises even if it's just in AA quality.
Megaman suffers from the same "illness" than Sonic....they are 2D gems but porting them to 3D has been very difficult for both franchises.

Pejo

I was a little nervous when they started giving in to Western Sensibilities™ with the "Type 1/Type 2" body shit, but yea they still make fantastic games. most of them are actual games too, instead of interactive movies, so they've got that going for them (No hate though, give me a sequel to Asura's Wrath anyday Capcom).

I'm glad they found some big success with MonHun to keep their profits up, I was really worried that they would be the next publisher to be cannibalized by either MS or Sony, in which case nobody wins.

Dragon's Dogma 2 is my most hype game since Elden Ring, so I can't wait to see more about that.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Yes they are. And they're still missing tweaking with Dino Crisis or Lost Planet.

We have Exoprimal coming up too, but I'm not sure how I feel about that one yet.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Yes they are. And they're still missing tweaking with Dino Crisis or Lost Planet.

We have Exoorimal coming up too, but I'm not sure how I feel about that one yet.
If they actually get rid of that PvEvP shit and just keep it simple with PvE and PvP neatly separated then it should be a fun horde shooter.

But I really hated that PvP element during PvE combat, if the game is gonna be just that then it's a nope from me.

RevGaming

I was a little nervous when they started giving in to Western Sensibilities™ with the "Type 1/Type 2" body shit, but yea they still make fantastic games. most of them are actual games too, instead of interactive movies, so they've got that going for them (No hate though, give me a sequel to Asura's Wrath anyday Capcom).

I'm glad they found some big success with MonHun to keep their profits up, I was really worried that they would be the next publisher to be cannibalized by either MS or Sony, in which case nobody wins.

Dragon's Dogma 2 is my most hype game since Elden Ring, so I can't wait to see more about that.
You thought a publisher was going to be shit because of type A/type B option? An option?

Pejo

You thought a publisher was going to be shit because of type A/type B option? An option?
What? No. It was giving in to western idiology that it should be Type1/Type2 instead of Male/Female. And that was just an example, they had a bunch of leaked internal slides from a presentation that showed the company's new plan to become more woke so they didn't offend western audiences.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Yep. Capcom absolutely owns my soul.

I'm not one for blind loyalty to any company, but Capcom happens to be making most of my favorite franchises.

The thing I love about their games is that they're so unafraid to let them be goofy in design, character and mechanics. Their games take full advantage of the medium and unlike SO MANY Western publishers, aren't trying to make something "realistic".

They have their priorities right and it shows. Is it fun? Does it look cool as hell or charming?

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
I like Capcom but they are cruising on mostly the same ips for generations mostly with some thing else here and there.

That's because when games cost tens of millions of dollars to produce, you can't be gambling on unproven IPs and consumers have told Capcom over and over again what they want with their wallets.

I really really want them to give us some new IPs, but that's becoming more and more difficult all the time for a lot of reasons.

DavidGzz

Amen. And someone mentioned the same 5...FIVE IPs. That's pretty awesome. But then you have Dragon's Dogma 2 coming. People will be singing praises for Rockstar when GTA6 comes out with their whole 2 IPs. Naughty Dog has 2(more like 1 these days). Idk why I'm surprised at naysayers, they will sprout in any thread. What other dev has 5 good IPs?

SHA

giphy.gif

They're smart, they know what they're doing, can't imagine this industry without them.

Capcom have certainly turned their brand image around after the PS3/Xbox 360 era, where everybody seemed to collectively hate the company as much as EA and Activision.

Though they have entered a malaise of over-relying on Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, and Street Fighter. Any new IPs are either in development hell or become live service bullshit that is destined for spectacular failure.

radewagon

They're making very safe stuff.
I see it as more of a two-pronged approach. They are making safe stuff (very well) and peppering in riskier choices. REVII and Village were actually quite risky. Right now, the risky move is Street Fighter 6. I'm not sure it's going to work, but they're certainly shooting for the stars with that one.

Yes, I've been saying this for a while now and I'm glad people are being aware of this. Capcom is amazing and people need to stop pretending they are not.

I've not been following Capcom for the past few years and the last few months I've been playing MHW again (trying to platinum Iceborne... dayum) and playing RE2R for the first time... and I'm just very happy and joyful about gaming because Capcom gets it. I know these games came out a few years ago, but the fact I have MH Rise waiting for me to finish MHW and RE3R, RE4R and the RE7 & RE8 right there makes me very happy, knowing I got some amazing experiences waiting for me. Also, I'm looking forward to DMC5 at some point soon too. Just too many games and with school, work and family, something has to give and that's usually my good 'ol PS5.

Top Bottom