• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pragmata is Capcom's tentpole game still looking for the canvas to cover it.

Deft Beck

Capcom is at an all-time high right now. They have multiple hit franchises, and they have been able to absorb the impact of lesser-performing debuts like Exoprimal.

Still, why hasn't Pragmata come out?

I suspect that Pragmata is a game that no longer fits into the current mission of modern Capcom. They started the project to compete with narrative-centric multiplayer-lite experiences like Death Stranding but failed to develop a compelling narrative or mechanical hook. It looks and feels like a game they may have released in the PS4 era; it very well may have been conceptualized then and stagnated ever since. I get the feeling this was going to be a big, important game for them, but they never delivered on it.

By now, Capcom has likely sunk hundreds of millions of R&D into the project and only showed the trailer in June to allay investor worries. The project feels like it is going to be quietly phased out and the assets folded into Exoprimal or an unannounced title with a smaller scope.

The only possible way to save this project would be to make it a console exclusive, probably for PlayStation 5, and try to recover some development costs by immediately putting it on PS+. I doubt it's going to be very good, but at least it will be released and out of Capcom's hair.

If development continues into 2025, it's going to be an embarrassing albatross for Capcom as the generation continues.

Last edited:
I suspect that Pragmata is a game that no longer fits into the current mission of modern Capcom.

Where do you get this from?

They started the project to compete with narrative-centric multiplayer-lite experiences like Death Stranding but failed to develop a compelling narrative or mechanical hook.

Do you work at Capcom? How do you know any of this? All we've seen are two brief trailers. No gameplay at all.

From what are you deriving all these conclusions?

It looks and feels like a game they may have released in the PS4 era;

Does it? It looks like a PS4/PS5 era game to me; but so do most games this gen. Heck, TLOU II is a PS4 game and it looks better than most games on the current gen. We've reached diminishing returns to a large extent on graphics.

And please explain how you know what the game feels like to play, when no-one has played it?

Seems like you're making shit up.

it very well may have been conceptualized then and stagnated ever since. I get the feeling this was going to be a big, important game for them, but they never delivered on it.

So you're making up some negative fanfiction speculation about a game we know nothing about.... because why?

I honestly, don't understand how someone can just dream up some "tales from my ass" and then post it on a forum as if they're talking about something factual. It's actually fascinating.

It's dead. Focus on Kunitsu-Gami.

Exoprimal season 3 also starts on January 18th.

Shut your filthy whore mouth, Miku! I won't believe it!!!!

You take that back!

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Some things just take more time than expected, it happens with nearly all projects, it just seems that they revealed pragmata a bit too early since capcom generally only announces games max a year before releasing so they are then generally near finished.
The pragmata annoucement was barebones and clearly indicative of something still deep in development, they probably hit some blocker along the way and had to rethink/redo aspects of it, which can add years to its release depending on how much they scrapped.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Shut your filthy whore mouth, Miku! I won't believe it!!!!

You take that back!
Dead as a doornail my man. We haven't even seen gameplay yet lol, just an apology video. Let it go guys!

tina-fey-alec-baldwin-there-there.gif

Luckily they already announced another new IP, showed gameplay, and it seems close to ready (which just further emphasizes how dead Pragmata is).

Astral Dog

It may be released one day in some form, but this project never looked like something Capcom would do, its not about being on PS4, there is this vagueness about the whole concept,the gameplay,etc nobody is anticipating this

To show a new IP these days it needs to be groundbreaking,we will see

ungalo

It's a very weird take to have when we actually saw the first gameplay for the game a few months ago. How do you know it's a multiplayer-lite game comparable to Death Stranding ? We don't know shit about the game it's baseless predictions, or perhaps i missed some informations.

I think it's fair to deduce they had some trouble during development, perhaps in the concept phase but we don't really know.

Anyway a weird new IP is always good in my book, i like current Capcom but they're playing it very safe.

Last edited:

saintjules

I wonder what the thought process was when making the reveal trailer.

Capcom to Playstation: "Here's a CGI Trailer for a game we're working on. Maybe we won't release it, but you can still showcase it."

I mean to go through this level of trouble not to release it would be weird. But I guess we've seen stranger things happen.

saintjules

Where do you get this from?

Do you work at Capcom? How do you know any of this? All we've seen are two brief trailers. No gameplay at all.

From what are you deriving all these conclusions?

Does it? It looks like a PS4/PS5 era game to me; but so do most games this gen. Heck, TLOU II is a PS4 game and it looks better than most games on the current gen. We've reached diminishing returns to a large extent on graphics.

And please explain how you know what the game feels like to play, when no-one has played it?

Seems like you're making shit up.

So you're making up some negative fanfiction speculation about a game we know nothing about.... because why?

I honestly, don't understand how someone can just dream up some "tales from my ass" and then post it on a forum as if they're talking about something factual. It's actually fascinating.

These posts are always speculatting from FUD.

Unless you're the developer, no one knows what's going on there.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Capcom to Playstation: "Here's a CGI Trailer for a game we're working on. Maybe we won't release it, but you can still showcase it."

I mean to go through this level of trouble not to release it would be weird. But I guess we've seen stranger things happen.

Console makers 100% ask publishers for trailers to help sell their systems. That's how you get the Versus XIII trailer also. And it does bring a lot of attention to your game.

Xbox definitely did this as well, but mostly with their own stuff.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I suspect that Pragmata is a game that no longer fits into the current mission of modern Capcom. They started the project to compete with narrative-centric multiplayer-lite experiences like Death Stranding...

Compelling hypothesis, now what led you to it?

Astral Dog

I haven't seen this 😳, only one video on a city

It reminds me of Vanquish,maybe it has potential if they finish it

Generic

Capcom is at an all-time high right now. They have multiple hit franchises, and they have been able to absorb the impact of lesser-performing debuts like Exoprimal.

Still, why hasn't Pragmata come out?

I suspect that Pragmata is a game that no longer fits into the current mission of modern Capcom. They started the project to compete with narrative-centric multiplayer-lite experiences like Death Stranding but failed to develop a compelling narrative or mechanical hook. It looks and feels like a game they may have released in the PS4 era; it very well may have been conceptualized then and stagnated ever since. I get the feeling this was going to be a big, important game for them, but they never delivered on it.

By now, Capcom has likely sunk hundreds of millions of R&D into the project and only showed the trailer in June to allay investor worries. The project feels like it is going to be quietly phased out and the assets folded into Exoprimal or an unannounced title with a smaller scope.

The only possible way to save this project would be to make it a console exclusive, probably for PlayStation 5, and try to recover some development costs by immediately putting it on PS+. I doubt it's going to be very good, but at least it will be released and out of Capcom's hair.

If development continues into 2025, it's going to be an embarrassing albatross for Capcom as the generation continues.
Modern Capcom is unable to make games that aren't sequels or remakes. They don't have talent anymore.

Perrott

Gold Member
A game released during the PS4 era? Have you seen the finesse of the raytracing effects in display in its 2020 announcement trailer, running in-engine on a regular PS5?

This is without a doubt Capcom's more technologically advanced game, and probably the test grounds for REX Engine features and technology.

You know what actually looks like a PS4 game? Monster Hunter Wilds, a 2025 title.

CamHostage

once upon a capcom time , there was a game called deepdown that never saw the light
but i got faith in Pragmata

To be unfair to Pragmata, there was much more of Deep Down ever shown before it went dark; a whole playable demo was at TGS.

(However, I'm with you, I got faith in Pragmata. I also see in the Deep Down demo why it got shelved even though it had some cool tech, as it had some limitations plus a few weird design choices that I don't think they were ready to overcome.)

To be unfair to Pragmata again, there's really not much in here besides an engine demo and some character design; gameplay is very rudimentary and visible areas are less than even the orignal announcement trailer. It looks a lot to me like a presentation reel or vertical slice that a developer would use to pitch their project after incubation funding, where none of it really works as depicted and much of it will get replaced in the development process but at least it's proof of concept for moving forwards.

(But again, I'm along for the ride with Pragmata, and personally am not that concerned that it's not out yet given how many major brands and huge titles have been known/seen for years yet aren't out yet. We haven't seen enough of it yet for it to break my heart if it fails, yet we've seen and heard enough about it that I am curious to see more. If it takes time to make right, take the time; if it never comes, at least it was interesting to see what they tried.)

Last edited:
They’ll show it when they’re ready 🤷‍♂️. Not too worried about it. They’re gonna focus on Dragons Dogma until Spring, and then maybe if it’s planned for calendar 2024 it’ll be show in the Dead E3 June showcase slot.

If it doesn’t show by then, MH Wilds will take the spotlight as their next big game and we won’t see Pragmata til 2025. As it is they’re already drumming up buzz for MH Wilds heading into summer.

But as it stands they don’t have anything major for second half 2024 unless I’m missing something. Maybe a Switch successor launch window game?

Last edited:
Top Bottom