• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itagaki is pretty pissed about Lisa's recent change in DOA

PSGames

Bad example image.

It's almost as if Itagaki's diehard fans are looking for the worst possible pic used in the original DOA5 promo images. She is a lot darker in-game, but sure, she has been lightened from her previous appearances.

Bitching about Kasumi getting older? STFU Itagaki, you rapist prick.

Hey this term should not be thrown around lightly about anyone.

Shauni

For those saying she was tan, you do realize this guy is her actual creator, right? I think he knows what race he intended a character he created to be.

Khaz

The sad thing is whitewashing seem to often happen unconsciously. WayForward was also guilty of it and only modified their sprites when they realised the backlash wouldn't calm down. At least they did something about it.

Before / after / the previous game / fan edit
shantae_alt_costumes.jpg
/
shantae.jpg
/
60009_155467501148147_149435571751340_412986_5818809_n.jpg
/
shantae_brown_spritew9sf0.png

i see some people havent played the game or read the thread to find out it's just a bad picture!

but OH WELL!

Yea it's pretty hilarious, if anyone played the game, they could see the top right picture really does not look right. Someone even did a side by side comparison in the thread. I think her face looks more latina now than before, which was definitely just "dollface" anime. For example they changed her nose. I think there is more than skin color to a character, and I do like the new facial features to the girls compared to the old DOAs in DOA5. I always thought she was brazilian ethnically (I know that is a mixture of many people, don't want to be pedantic though). Well she is american, but her capoeiria always gave me that impression for some reason.

There's some whitewashing going on but not to the extent that itagaki's screenshot lets on. She's really, really dark in the beach volleyball games and noticeably darker in DoA4 than 5.

Akibared

This man needs to lean that there are many shades of delicious brown skin. 90% of the females I create in games have brown skin soo many options all amazing!

pdEjqJv.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
After looking at the OP and some of the other images...eh, if she looks more accurate in=game then whatever. I still have no idea what ethnicity that design is supposed to evoke though, it just looks like "really tan anime girl"

they just wanna be like Virtua Fighter

vf_vanessa.jpg

This is bullshit tho

xion4360

DOA5 came out how long ago? do we need to have this talk now?

There was a similar thing with Zack being originally much much lighter than he should be, and they darkened him before the game released. Yea Lisa is a tad lighter than she used to be, but certainly nothing like what is suggested there. ultimately her skin color is whatever the designers want it to be.

There's some whitewashing going on but not to the extent that itagaki's screenshot lets on. She's really, really dark in the beach volleyball games and noticeably darker in DoA4 than 5.

DOAX and DOAX2 have a system where skin tone darkens as you spend time out in the sun, and can be advanced with sun tan lotion. basically you can make lisa look darker than she is in DOAX and then make the excuse that they lightened her up in doa5 when in reality there isnt a huge difference.

The sad thing is whitewashing seem to often happen unconsciously. WayForward was also guilty of it and only modified their sprites when they realised the backlash wouldn't calm down. At least they did something about it.

I find it funny that their excuse was "the artist didn't know" or something along those lines.

I love wayforward but you don't get something like that wrong when you are an artist working for pay, including having the lighter skin in their kickstarter trailer video which again had to be confirmed before use and all that.

She's my DoA5 main, and...isn't she dark-skinned in game? Certainly more than the pic above.

this.

someone is fucking with the gamma setting. Always the problem with arguments like this, people got different settings on their screens/screenshots. Who knows what each person is really seeing unless we get official comparisons.

The Cowboy

Comparing in game images, i really don't see the issue. It looks like almost the same shade of brown, but with more of a shine to it.
liOt0tn.jpg

After looking at the OP and some of the other images...eh, if she looks more accurate in=game then whatever. I still have no idea what ethnicity that design is supposed to evoke though, it just looks like "really tan anime girl"

could she be puerto rican? dominican? cuban? brazilian? honduran? the possibilities are ENDLESS! so many ethnicities represented with a single character!

Lisa isn't as dark in DOA4 as she looks in that image.

She isn't as light in DOA5 as she looks in that image.

Whitewashing really does suck and the western ideal of beauty for black women of light skin and straight hair has a shitton of issues and baggage attached to it, but this isn't a well-founded battleground for it. It's a discussion that needs to be had, but ideally not by people using it to prove that their angry old video game designer is the better angry old video game designer.

xion4360

could she be puerto rican? dominican? cuban? brazilian? honduran? the possibilities are ENDLESS! so many ethnicities represented with a single character!

They dont go into specifics about characters ethnicity, but Lisa is american.

I didn't think she was hispanic or latina just because of her persona, I always saw her as black, but I noticed Itagaki said shes latin, with that in mind dominican or boricua seem like it to me but I doubt he thought about it that much...there are tons of possibilities in that case.

Junahu

Even if the game itself isn't nearly as extreme as the promo, people should really take that promotional shot to task for being deliberately white-washed.

L Thammy

Yea it's pretty hilarious, if anyone played the game, they could see the top right picture really does not look right. Someone even did a side by side comparison in the thread. I think her face looks more latina now than before, which was definitely just "dollface" anime. For example they changed her nose. I think there is more than skin color to a character, and I do like the new facial features to the girls compared to the old DOAs in DOA5. I always thought she was brazilian ethnically (I know that is a mixture of many people, don't want to be pedantic though). Well she is american, but her capoeiria always gave me that impression for some reason.

Capoeiria? He uses lucha libre; Mexican wrestling.

I always thought this was particularly dumb because Shantae is a genie. Her original skin tone was appropriate.

jediyoshi

For those saying she was tan, you do realize this guy is her actual creator, right? I think he knows what race he intended a character he created to be.

I imagine Itagaki's manner in which he parted with TN makes it difficult to take his statements on them down the line at face value.

injurai

Banned
  1. The skin of all "races" varies a lot.
  2. People's own skin tone can vary drastically from sun exposure.
  3. This is DOA, unless she vacationed in the alps why is she recieving less sun?
  4. SPF is logarithmic so SPF 60 is only going to block a fraction of a percent more UV than SPF 30.
  5. Itagaki himself is mad.
  6. Conclusion: Beyonce Won.

SerTapTap

Comparing in game images, i really don't see the issue. It looks like almost the same shade of brown, but with more of a shine to it.

Yeah, if that pic is accurate it looks fine really. just a more realistic rendering of basically the same tone.

So now people are either black or white? What happens to us brown/tan people being constantly robbed of a chance of identity?

Representation of everyone is important, but he created her and he says she's black, so she should be black. Make a new character to be tan. I don't necessarily mind "white by default" characters being changed (Nick Fury and such) because that's been a real problem in comics (and games) but beyond that race shouldn't be changed willy-nilly IMO. What if someone finally found representation of someone like them in a comic or game they love, then they just take that away?

That said, per above, I don't really agree with him on this assuming the ingame shot in this thread is accurate. The image in the OP makes it look bad, but it seems like it's just misleading.

Kinyou

Isn't she supposed to be a darkskinned Brazilian? That makes kind of sense to me.

Overall do all the DOA girls lean towards anime girl

glad he is talking about it

But are you glad it seems a little disingenuous? I do agree that people should be vocal about complaints like Vanessa in VF, but the DOA screenshots really are bad shots and Lisa doesn't look that bad in game. In this thread they had shown better shots and it looks much closer than what he is suggesting. This is a man who has a known axe to grind with his former company. Not calling you out, don't take offense to it, but I think the game is being poorly represented than it really is.

L Thammy

Representation of everyone is important, but he created her and he says she's black, so she should be black.

I'd also like to point out

Tomonobu Itagaki I have to show you here. It's apparent that real Lisa is Latin.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1563844837230098&type=1&comment_id=1563882233893025&offset=50&total_comments=93&comment_tracking={%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22}

Uh

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
liOt0tn.jpg

This. Maybe Itagaki should actually see what the character looks like in-game before bitching about it. Stop being bitter that Team Ninja made a better DOA without you and go get Devil's Third finished already.

Top Bottom