• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Italia GAF |OT| La terra dei cachi

Kinokou

Pompeii may be a stretch, unfortunately, but I've always wanted to see it. That and the Archaeology Museum in Naples with that amazing Alexander the Great mosaic. Sirmione looks to be a bit of a pain to get to. Pisa doesn't excite any of us much but it feels like we'd be amiss going all the way there and not seeing the tower...

Sound reasonable? Any must-dos? Anything obvious missing? I'd love to see a real Italian castle, like the one in Sirmione (Castello Scaligero). We're definitely doing the Vatican, ancient sites in Rome, museums in Florence (and getting one of those 72h passes), walking between the towns in Cinque Terre, and doing the touristy stuff in Venice (including Gondola ride).

There are some Etruscan ruins outside of Rome that I have heard called the Pompeii of Rome and then you might get your castel fix in Rome too at the castel sant'angelo. They might be cheap fixes since both Pompeii and Sirmione are well worth seeing, but both seem to take up a bit of time that could be spent better. Depends on the trains though, if you find some nice high speeds then go for your plan.

Edit: also I'm not a local, so let them chime in too!

The Doc

Banned
Italy GAF, I'm visiting your beautiful country this summer and trying to come up with an itinerary. We'll be there just over two weeks and it'll be me, myself, and my 16yo son.

I've been charged with keeping it fairly relaxed, no death marches. We're restricted to public transport by-and-large, preferably trains. I was thinking of choosing a few hubs and doing day trips to local sights via train (as we don't want to lug our luggage around everywhere).

The hubs are:
Rome (3 or 4 days) - side trips to Assisi and/or Pompeii
Florence (3 or 4 days) - side trips to Pisa and/or San Gimignano and/or Siena
Cinque Terre (likely stay in Vernazza) (2 days)
Venice (3 or 4 days) - side trips to San Marino and/or Sirmione on Lago di Garda

Pompeii may be a stretch, unfortunately, but I've always wanted to see it. That and the Archaeology Museum in Naples with that amazing Alexander the Great mosaic. Sirmione looks to be a bit of a pain to get to. Pisa doesn't excite any of us much but it feels like we'd be amiss going all the way there and not seeing the tower...

Sound reasonable? Any must-dos? Anything obvious missing? I'd love to see a real Italian castle, like the one in Sirmione (Castello Scaligero). We're definitely doing the Vatican, ancient sites in Rome, museums in Florence (and getting one of those 72h passes), walking between the towns in Cinque Terre, and doing the touristy stuff in Venice (including Gondola ride).

i suggest you to check out these documentaries.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03pn297/episodes/guide

(well , feel free to pm me)

Motoko

The hubs are:
Rome (3 or 4 days) - side trips to Assisi and/or Pompeii
Florence (3 or 4 days) - side trips to Pisa and/or San Gimignano and/or Siena
Cinque Terre (likely stay in Vernazza) (2 days)
Venice (3 or 4 days) - side trips to San Marino and/or Sirmione on Lago di Garda

San Marino and Assisi are more close to Florence than Venice and Rome, but imho those don't worth the time. You should going to Pompei from Rome and Siena/San Gimignano from Florence which are on the same road. Also I strongly recommend to rent a car cause the public transport are very limited to Siena.

There are some Etruscan ruins outside of Rome that I have heard called the Pompeii of Rome and then you might get your castel fix in Rome too at the castel sant'angelo. They might be cheap fixes since both Pompeii and Sirmione are well worth seeing, but both seem to take up a bit of time that could be spent better. Depends on the trains though, if you find some nice high speeds then go for your plan.

Edit: also I'm not a local, so let them chime in too!

Definitely planning to visit Castel Sant'Angelo -- not quite the classic castel I was thinking of since its architecture is 2nd century, but it'll do in a pinch. As for Etruscan ruins, wow, some of them are gorgeous. I definitely need to put at least one on the list.

i suggest you to check out these documentaries.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03pn297/episodes/guide

(well , feel free to pm me)

Will definitely check those out, thanks.

San Marino and Assisi are more close to Florence than Venice and Rome, but imho those don't worth the time. You should going to Pompei from Rome and Siena/San Gimignano from Florence which are on the same road. Also I strongly recommend to rent a car cause the public transport are very limited to Siena.

Yeah, San Marino's greatest attraction is that it's a different country. Too much of a pain to get to and it'll nuke a whole day, however. Assisi's bascilica looks really impressive but not much beyond that to tour. As for Pompei, best to stay in Naples or Sorrento? I guess Naples because I'd like to visit the museum but Naples just sounds a bit rough compared to Florence, etc. As for car rental -- nobody I'm with can drive a stick, is it possible to rent automatics (isn't Europe like 90% stick)?

Regarding Cinque Terre, trying to figure out the best place to stay. Sounds like the lodging in much of the five towns is upper story (100+ steps) rooms or too tiny to house the three of us comfortably. Considering just staying in La Spezia and just training it in on the two days we'd like to visit the region. Original plan was to stay in one of the towns and walk to the others and avoid the train altogether, but it appears most of the trails are either quite difficult (Monterosso to Vernazza) or closed due to landslide.
Thanks for all your responses thus far!

Copons

As for Pompei, best to stay in Naples or Sorrento? I guess Naples because I'd like to visit the museum but Naples just sounds a bit rough compared to Florence, etc.

I'd say definitely Naples.
Pompeii ruins station is halfway through the Naples-Sorrento line of the Circumvesuviana light railway, which is a rough ride but quite handy to move around Naples.
Naples is a great city with unarguably ( :p ) the greatest food in Italy. Just check around Tripadvisor and whatnot to avoid tourist traps and you're good to go.
Oh and yes: Naples IS rough, no matter what people from Naples say. I've been there plenty of times and I never had any unpleasant experiences, but I'd recommend being super aware of your surroundings all the time, avoiding empty streets and being careful when walking in crowded areas. (you know, the usual when traveling, but with a bit more care and awareness)

Sorrento is beautiful and all tha, but it just doesn't come close to Naples at all, and anyway the best part of that area is the Amalfi coast, on the other side of the promontory, but I'd say that Cinque Terre will be more than enough to fix your crave of tiny little sea towns. :)

As for car rental -- nobody I'm with can drive a stick, is it possible to rent automatics (isn't Europe like 90% stick)?

Just did a random search on Hertz (rented from them in the US and Portugal, never had a problem), picking up the car in Rome Fiumicino airport, some random dates in April: I'd say half of them were automatics, so budget aside, you should be fine.
Just remember that most of the cities historic centres (at least Rome's and Milan's are) are restricted traffic zones.

nico1982

In Venice, be sure to visit a "vetreria" in Murano and make a trip to Burano, if not already included in your "touristy stuff" (sic.).

Sirmione and the entire Garda area is nastily crowded in summer. Verona is a little closer to Venice, it has more landmarks (Arena, Castelvecchio, Ponte Scaligero, etc). Cons: is much hotter than the lakeside and you don't get the beautiful panorama. YMMV.

In both cases, I'd ditch the car and take the train. Just be sure to plan in advance and reserve earlier the tickets for a Freccia Bianca or Rossa if you want a comfortable ride. Verona Porta Nuova (railway station) is near the city center. For Sirmione, you have to dismount in either Peschiera or Desenzano and take the bus to Sirmione or, better, the ferry. Be careful on the connections.

tumblr_n3gzlyc4KK1tus777o1_1280.png

the movie the talented mr ripley has always made me want to visit Italy

LeleSocho

Banned
Pompeii ruins station is halfway through the Naples-Sorrento line of the Circumvesuviana light railway, which is a rough ride but quite handy to move around Naples.
Naples is a great city with unarguably ( :p ) the greatest food in Italy. Just check around Tripadvisor and whatnot to avoid tourist traps and you're good to go.
Oh and yes: Naples IS rough, no matter what people from Naples say. I've been there plenty of times and I never had any unpleasant experiences, but I'd recommend being super aware of your surroundings all the time, avoiding empty streets and being careful when walking in crowded areas. (you know, the usual when traveling, but with a bit more care and awareness)

Naples is ok as long as you avoid looking like an obvious tourist.
If you do then yes you are a prey.

UrbanRats

I'm not afraid to say that every single tourist ever looks like a tourist when traveling. :p

Easy way to not look like a tourist:

1) Don't have any visible bag on you (purse for women is fine though, hide there all your tourist stuff).
2) Don't look up at things, especially don't take photos.
3) Walk fast.
4) Look miserable and angry at all times.

Kinokou

Definitely planning to visit Castel Sant'Angelo -- not quite the classic castel I was thinking of since its architecture is 2nd century, but it'll do in a pinch. As for Etruscan ruins, wow, some of them are gorgeous. I definitely need to put at least one on the list.

Will definitely check those out, thanks.

Yeah, San Marino's greatest attraction is that it's a different country. Too much of a pain to get to and it'll nuke a whole day, however. Assisi's bascilica looks really impressive but not much beyond that to tour. As for Pompei, best to stay in Naples or Sorrento? I guess Naples because I'd like to visit the museum but Naples just sounds a bit rough compared to Florence, etc. As for car rental -- nobody I'm with can drive a stick, is it possible to rent automatics (isn't Europe like 90% stick)?

You know what? Your comment on Assisi reminds me that they have some kind of castle/fortress too, and San Marino has three. Maybe one of them suit your taste better?

Now I feel almost confident that you can find one in Tuscany too!

lawnchair

Banned
Easy way to not look like a tourist:

1) Don't have any visible bag on you (purse for women is fine though, hide there all your tourist stuff).
2) Don't look up at things, especially don't take photos.
3) Walk fast.
4) Look miserable and angry at all times.

the funnest way to be in new places!

BigWeather,Assisi is beautiful but it's small and you will burn a whole day. You should go to the nearby Perugia too. Just do half day Perugia, half day Assisi. It will be worth :)

Returning to Italy in May. First time on the amalfi coast for both my Girlfriend and I who are spending one night in Napoli, two in Sorrento, and two in Nocelle (AirBNB). Buses will get us everywhere we need to go in terms of Positano/Praiano/Nocelle for cheap right?

thomaser

Going to Italy for the third year in a row, in late May/early June. First, the Cinque Terre-walk, then two days of cycling and swimming on Elba, and finally three days of cycling in Tuscany (Piambino-Sovereto-Massa Marittima-Volterra-Vinci).

Peco

I hope this summer won't be as hot as the last one.
I smoke, drink and I'm dangerously overweight. I don't wanna die. ;_;

Rafy

Personally I voted "Si". Italy is doing very well in the renewable energy field and I'd love to not depend on imported energy. The percentage of electricity generated by renewable energy in 2014 is estimated around 42.3% and I'd love to see that number grow.

My father voted no though... He uses the same energy imports argument but to justify renewing the permits.

Thank you all for the great responses! They've helped shape this trip up nicely. Looks like we're doing 3 nights in Rome, then 2 in Riomaggiore, 2 in Venice, 5 in Florence (including a few side trips) then 2 in Rome until my wife and son depart. Then I'm alone in Rome for 2 more nights -- hoping to walk along the Via Appia Antica and see some other historical stuff that would bore my son (maybe even visit Pompeii during a very long day) -- until my daughter shows up and we spend another night in Rome. Then we're taking the train to Vienna for 3 nights before flying back to Rome before a final night before flying back home.

As for looking like a tourist, yeah... I (and my family) are doomed. Brown hair, blue eyes, 6'5" - 6'6" or so. Oh well.

One other thing -- my daughter arrives at Rome FCO and needs to get to Florence. Is it worth it (safer, easier, etc.) to book her a flight from FCO to Florence or have her take the train (FL1) to Tiburtina then on to Florence SM? Bearing in mind she'll have been traveling for 12+ hours at that point and in a new country. Will her stepping off an international flight (and going through immigration, etc.) and then stepping on to a flight to Florence pose a problem? I'd have booked it as part of the trip but I didn't think of it at the time. =/

Thanks!

Sorrento is beautiful and all tha, but it just doesn't come close to Naples at all, and anyway the best part of that area is the Amalfi coast, on the other side of the promontory, but I'd say that Cinque Terre will be more than enough to fix your crave of tiny little sea towns. :)

Just did a random search on Hertz (rented from them in the US and Portugal, never had a problem), picking up the car in Rome Fiumicino airport, some random dates in April: I'd say half of them were automatics, so budget aside, you should be fine.
Just remember that most of the cities historic centres (at least Rome's and Milan's are) are restricted traffic zones.

Yeah, I think I'll be visiting Naples by myself -- will be easier than having to worry over my wife and son (or daughter) as well. We're forgoing a car after all -- just a bit more hassle than I'd like to deal with, especially with all the great sights within train range.

In Venice, be sure to visit a "vetreria" in Murano and make a trip to Burano, if not already included in your "touristy stuff" (sic.).

Sirmione and the entire Garda area is nastily crowded in summer. Verona is a little closer to Venice, it has more landmarks (Arena, Castelvecchio, Ponte Scaligero, etc). Cons: is much hotter than the lakeside and you don't get the beautiful panorama. YMMV.

In both cases, I'd ditch the car and take the train. Just be sure to plan in advance and reserve earlier the tickets for a Freccia Bianca or Rossa if you want a comfortable ride. Verona Porta Nuova (railway station) is near the city center. For Sirmione, you have to dismount in either Peschiera or Desenzano and take the bus to Sirmione or, better, the ferry. Be careful on the connections.

Sirmione and Garda are still possible, but with the itinerary trimmed to only two nights in Venice it may not happen. Very good suggestions, however. Sounds like Verona is a pass. Great idea on Murano and Burano -- we'll at least visit Murano for sure. I'm also going to see the exterior of the "X Marks the Spot" church and the hotel seen in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. =)

You know what? Your comment on Assisi reminds me that they have some kind of castle/fortress too, and San Marino has three. Maybe one of them suit your taste better?

Now I feel almost confident that you can find one in Tuscany too!

Awesome -- I'll make a point of visiting one for sure.

BigWeather,Assisi is beautiful but it's small and you will burn a whole day. You should go to the nearby Perugia too. Just do half day Perugia, half day Assisi. It will be worth :)

Perugia is beautiful! I'll be sure and pair it up with Assisi should we have a day for that.

One other thing -- my daughter arrives at Rome FCO and needs to get to Florence. Is it worth it (safer, easier, etc.) to book her a flight from FCO to Florence or have her take the train (FL1) to Tiburtina then on to Florence SM? Bearing in mind she'll have been traveling for 12+ hours at that point and in a new country. Will her stepping off an international flight (and going through immigration, etc.) and then stepping on to a flight to Florence pose a problem? I'd have booked it as part of the trip but I didn't think of it at the time. =/

she's gonna spend more time in the airports than on the plane (+ the air route between Florence and Rome is covered only by Alitalia ->it's probably gonna be expensive)

journey duration with a plane: 50min - 1h with + the time lost in the airport
journey duration with a train: 1h30 (frecciarossa, frecciargento and Italo) and the station of SMNovella is in the heart of the city

check both http://www.trenitalia.com/ and http://www.italotreno.it/

Copons

she's gonna spend more time in the airports than on the plane (+ the air route between Florence and Rome is covered only by Alitalia ->it's probably gonna be expensive)

journey duration with a plane: 50min - 1h with + the time lost in the airport
journey duration with a train: 1h30 (frecciarossa, frecciargento and Italo) and the station of SMNovella is in the heart of the city

check both http://www.trenitalia.com/ and http://www.italotreno.it/

Also, (some?) Frecciargento trains stop at FCO, so she could even skip the chore of changing trains at Roma Termini or Tiburtina stations.

Awesome, thanks guys -- got her a ticket from Fiumicino Aeroporto to Firenze S. M. Novella with no stops on a Frecciargento train. There are only two of those a day, one at 11a and one at 3p. She arrives at 10a so I went for the 3p to give her plenty of time to claim her luggage and clear customs. Thanks for all your help!

Edit: Transit time is 2h14m -- that seems a bit... slow. Did I book incorrectly? Or is it just that for a decent stretch of that it isn't high-speed rail?

Copons

Awesome, thanks guys -- got her a ticket from Fiumicino Aeroporto to Firenze S. M. Novella with no stops on a Frecciargento train. There are only two of those a day, one at 11a and one at 3p. She arrives at 10a so I went for the 3p to give her plenty of time to claim her luggage and clear customs. Thanks for all your help!

Edit: Transit time is 2h14m -- that seems a bit... slow. Did I book incorrectly? Or is it just that for a decent stretch of that it isn't high-speed rail?

Well, it is a "no-changes" train, but it does have stops!
It passes through Rome, where it stops twice in Termini and Tiburtina stations.
On top of that, while I don't really know if the Fiumicino-Rome segment is high speed, the one inside the city definitely isn't.

inb4 someone who knows better explains that there is a high speed rail inside Rome too :D

Well, it is a "no-changes" train, but it does have stops!
It passes through Rome, where it stops twice in Termini and Tiburtina stations.
On top of that, while I don't really know if the Fiumicino-Rome segment is high speed, the one inside the city definitely isn't.

inb4 someone who knows better explains that there is a high speed rail inside Rome too :D

Haha, I feel silly for missing that... I saw times for Frecciarossa at under an hour to Florence and was worried, but that time was Tiburtina to S. M. Novella so of course had already cleared the part of the route with stops and (I'm sure) slower rail. Thanks for clarifying, yeah, I should've said "no changes", not "no stops", below.

I'm looking to book a train voyage from Rome to Salzburg and have a day, time, and route (through Innsbruck) in mind. Google Maps gives some sample routes but when I go to sites like RailEurope they don't have the timetables up yet (and even Google Maps states that). Should I just wait and book? I'd really like to book a bit in advance to be sure I can get my daughter and I seats. Also there are several train companies I'd have to deal with but trip advice sites stress dealing with them individually rather than RailEurope (or whatever) to save money. Anytime I've traveled by train in Europe in the past I had a BritRail or EuroRail pass, so this is a bit new to me (and even with a pass I'd want to reserve a spot). What's the best way to approach this?

(At this point I'm half tempted to just toss the train idea and fly Rome to Munich, train to Vienna (via Salzburg), then fly Vienna to Rome. Just hate to miss out on the beautiful scenery (though the 12h to 15h trip is a bit much).)

lawnchair

Banned
hello italy gaf. i want to get something off my chest and see how you all feel about it.

first, i should say that i am studying italian in college (in america). i identify as american.

so, i have this classmate (also an italian major) who considers herself to be "italian". i believe that her grandmother was italian. her other grandmother was irish or something. anyway, she seems to identify as italian. she hashtags all of her social media crap with #italiangirl and things of that nature. reading one of her facebook exchanges with someone else regarding food, she says something along the lines of "you shouldn't argue about italian food with an italian girl". now, to me, this is slightly off-putting. this girl was born in america. her parents were born in america. but she has an italian grandparent, studies italian, and claims "i'm italian" all over the place. she doesn't look italian. she looks irish, if anything.

what do you think of this type of behavior? i realize that there are posters in here who are italians living in italy, and probably other italians living in america, and probably some americans who want to be italians. sometimes i just want to yell at this woman "you're fucking AMERICAN SHUT UP" but i don't. thoughts? /end rant

hello italy gaf. i want to get something off my chest and see how you all feel about it.

first, i should say that i am studying italian in college (in america). i identify as american.

so, i have this classmate (also an italian major) who considers herself to be "italian". i believe that her grandmother was italian. her other grandmother was irish or something. anyway, she seems to identify as italian. she hashtags all of her social media crap with #italiangirl and things of that nature. reading one of her facebook exchanges with someone else regarding food, she says something along the lines of "you shouldn't argue about italian food with an italian girl". now, to me, this is slightly off-putting. this girl was born in america. her parents were born in america. but she has an italian grandparent, studies italian, and claims "i'm italian" all over the place. she doesn't look italian. she looks irish, if anything.

what do you think of this type of behavior? i realize that there are posters in here who are italians living in italy, and probably other italians living in america, and probably some americans who want to be italians. sometimes i just want to yell at this woman "you're fucking AMERICAN SHUT UP" but i don't. thoughts? /end rant
If you eat Pizza you can be Italian too, it's written on the constitution.

UrbanRats

I don't think you could distinguish an Italian from an Irish all that easily, unless you take the two most stereotypically looking examples as comparison subjects, i guess.

Anyhow, i don't know, sounds like she's annoying other people with it, but aside from that, i don't really see the problem with it, if she likes the place for whatever reason, it's her life, and you only live once, lol.
It's not like Italians are a marginalized group that need protection anyway.

Personally i always find it weird to completely obscure your personality with a larger identity, but that has nothing to do with being Italian or not .

Eh. I know that some Irish people are irked by that sort of stuff, but Italians generally don't care about it. If anything, we are uniquely proud of our diaspora. Just as an example, when NY mayor De Blasio, also a third-generation mutt, came over for vacations here there were articles on every newspaper talking about his roots, how he still has family here etc. And that pretty much happens about every Italian-American celebrity.

Your friend may be even technically right about her being 'Italian', as second and third generation Italians are granted citizenship and the right to vote in elections. We even have North-American electoral districts.

Twelve members of the Chamber of Deputies are elected by Italians abroad. Two members are elected for North America and Central America (including most of the Caribbean), four members for South America (including Trinidad and Tobago), five members for Europe, and one member for the rest of the world (Africa, Asia, Oceania, and Antarctica). Voters in these regions select candidate lists and may also cast a preference vote for individual candidates. The seats are allocated by proportional representation.

Hey there Italy-Gaf. I'll be visiting your country from the US next week for 10 days on my honeymoon. My fiancee studied abroad there about 10 years ago and loved every second of it, and I'm really looking forward to it as well.

We seem to have everything planned out. However I just noticed the Spanish Steps in Rome are undergoing renovations which should have been completed and look to be almost wrapped up. I know she's looking forward to going there to hang out and people watch. Any idea just when they are supposed to reopen to the public?

Copons

Hey there Italy-Gaf. I'll be visiting your country from the US next week for 10 days on my honeymoon. My fiancee studied abroad there about 10 years ago and loved every second of it, and I'm really looking forward to it as well.

We seem to have everything planned out. However I just noticed the Spanish Steps in Rome are undergoing renovations which should have been completed and look to be almost wrapped up. I know she's looking forward to going there to hang out and people watch. Any idea just when they are supposed to reopen to the public?

I feel super dumb, cause I've been there last week and I paid no attention at all to the steps.

Anyway, I found a brief news about the state of the renovation: apparently they started working on the last section left a couple of weeks ago, and plan to complete it this summer. So yeah, the Steps will be at least partly closed, but you should still be able to hang out and enjoy the view from the top floor.

Speaking of renovations, they just recently completed the Trevi Fountain, and it's astonishing. I lived here all my life, but I've never seen it so splendid as it is now.
Same goes for the Colosseum (which, though, could still have some scaffoldings left) and the Pyramid.
It's quite unbelievable how our monuments improve without their coat of dirt and pollution.

I'll have two days in Rome free in a couple of days. Thinking of going to Pompeii one day (a very long day) and the other may visit a medieval castle. Any recommendations for a nearby-ish one that is a short walk from a train station? Thanks!

Edit: I should qualify -- excellent responses up-thread and we're going to check out Rome's Castel'Angelo in a few days. Was looking for something additional a bit more local to Rome than San Marino, etc. as we haven't the time to reach those comfortably.

Edit 2: I think I'll go to Ostia Antica -- extensive ruins like Pompeii but not so crowded and MUCH easier to reach from Rome. Also has a castle (Castello di Guilio II), built in the 1400s.

TCRS

Banned
Planning a visit in August. Two days in Como and then on to Florence for 4 days. Will use it as a base to get around and see Pisa, San Gimignano, Siena etc. All by car.

I have been to Florence before, it's absolutely beautiful. Now I'm going to show it to my girl.

The only thing I'm slightly worried about is that Como apparently being swamped with migrants trying to get into switzerland...

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Napoli / Sorrento GAF, Chiedo raccomandazione per favore:

Best / recommended Pizzeria in the Naples / Pompeiji / Sorrento region?

Copons

Napoli / Sorrento GAF, Chiedo raccomandazione per favore:

Best / recommended Pizzeria in the Naples / Pompeiji / Sorrento region?

Not from Napoli, but I may as well share my culinary pilgrimage that I just have to do every time I go there (3-4 times a year):

1) Attanasio: just outside the main train station, you just have to go there to get a sfogliatella riccia (remember: "riccia", not "frolla"! they're both good, but riccia is perfect if you eat it right away, while frolla can still be good if you have to bring it home and eat it some hours later.

2) Sorbillo: arguably one of the best pizza in the world.
Yes, now a true neapolitan will come here saying how some other pizza is better. Still. Don't care. This is awesome anyway.
Just be aware of the long queues at all times (and they don't accept reservations).

3) Di Matteo: quite close to Sorbillo there's this other excellent pizza place; I don't go there for pizza but for "frittata di pasta", which is basically pasta leftovers "glued" with eggs and fried. Totally amazing.

4) Friggitoria Vomero: an old but gold fried stuff place. Just try whatever, it's all great. (I prefer Di Matteo's frittata di pasta, but I guess it's just a matter of personal taste).

A couple of advices:
- consider that on Sundays or for most of August, Napoli is pretty much shut down for holidays. You'll still be able to find some great stuff, but likely not the best (ie. Attanasio is pretty much always open; Sorbillo and Di Matteo aren't).
- remember to go there after a couple of weeks of diet, or else it's gonna be REALLY bad. :D

Planning a visit in August. Two days in Como and then on to Florence for 4 days. Will use it as a base to get around and see Pisa, San Gimignano, Siena etc. All by car.

I have been to Florence before, it's absolutely beautiful. Now I'm going to show it to my girl.

The only thing I'm slightly worried about is that Como apparently being swamped with migrants trying to get into switzerland...

Swamped is a strong term, last thing i heard was about a hundred migrants blocked there...

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Not from Napoli, but I may as well share my culinary pilgrimage that I just have to do every time I go there (3-4 times a year):

1) Attanasio: just outside the main train station, you just have to go there to get a sfogliatella riccia (remember: "riccia", not "frolla"! they're both good, but riccia is perfect if you eat it right away, while frolla can still be good if you have to bring it home and eat it some hours later.

2) Sorbillo: arguably one of the best pizza in the world.
Yes, now a true neapolitan will come here saying how some other pizza is better. Still. Don't care. This is awesome anyway.
Just be aware of the long queues at all times (and they don't accept reservations).

3) Di Matteo: quite close to Sorbillo there's this other excellent pizza place; I don't go there for pizza but for "frittata di pasta", which is basically pasta leftovers "glued" with eggs and fried. Totally amazing.

4) Friggitoria Vomero: an old but gold fried stuff place. Just try whatever, it's all great. (I prefer Di Matteo's frittata di pasta, but I guess it's just a matter of personal taste).

A couple of advices:
- consider that on Sundays or for most of August, Napoli is pretty much shut down for holidays. You'll still be able to find some great stuff, but likely not the best (ie. Attanasio is pretty much always open; Sorbillo and Di Matteo aren't).
- remember to go there after a couple of weeks of diet, or else it's gonna be REALLY bad. :D
thank you a lot!
Our trip will be last week of august/first week of september, so let's hope the best :)

Top Bottom