• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Italian surgeon just gave a rat a second head

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2026

We are one step away.
99120206012_HellpitAbomination360.jpg

Reeks

Several people working in the field have also criticized the scientists on the basis that if they have the technology to repair spinal cords—one of the key parts of the surgery—then they should be developing this to treat people who are paralyzed, instead of holding it back for a surgery many believe will not work.

If this did work, they'd be targeting spinal cord repair since there's so much money to be made. It seems like they're full of shit. No evidence this will work.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I can't read the article atm, but I've seen videos of two-headed dogs achieved through macabre experiments before, with the attached head briefly drinking water. In which particular ways is this more substantial?

GKnight

Banned
this is disgusting...
What is the possible application of this? Is this the guy that wants to do head transplants one day?

What is the point of being able to do head transplants if we can't grow clone bodies?

Are we going to start having poor people sell their bodies to rich people to give their families money?

Reeks

Thousands of rats are killed with inducing gene therapy that produces horrific results every year and this is where we draw the line... Okay.

With every safeguard to reduce any uneccesary pain and suffering. Vets check on them regularly and it must be justified. It's to save human lives, not to just see what happens. What's more horrific is people putting poisons that cause slow painful deaths of rodents in their backyards and homes. Or the sticky pads that capture rodents resulting in them starving to death and often gnawing of their own limbs to attempt to break free.

Basis for future human head or brain transplant? Si-miez twins (sorry don't know how to spell it) with 2 heads sharing a body is a thing although that's a natural birth/thing.

I need to reread the article.

Greddleok

this is disgusting...
What is the possible application of this? Is this the guy that wants to do head transplants one day?

What is the point of being able to do head transplants if we can't grow clone bodies?

Are we going to start having poor people sell their bodies to rich people to give their families money?

The possible application is saving someones life who has severe bodily trauma.

The point is someone may be willing to donate their entire body postmortem which could then be used to attach the previous person's head.

Are we going to have poor people sell their bodies? No. That's just ridiculous, I don't know where you go that from.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I don't understand. What's connected beyond skin? Spinal cord? Gi track, vascular system?

Horrific animal abuse.

It's a tough question. Lots of research is done on animals. No animal research, basically almost no progress in medicine.

There are far more disturbing studies. Studies on pain, traumatic nervous system injury, etc.

It's basically human vs animal suffering. That includes things like eating meat.

GKnight

Banned
But what about people that die in accidents? So wouldn't donate your entire body to help someone who needs it to live?

If you die in an accident there is no way your body will be in good enough shape to be donated except in very rare cases where somehow only your head suffered trauma

boiled goose

good with gravy
If you die in an accident there is no way your body will be in good enough shape to be donated except in very rare cases where somehow only your head suffered trauma

Being braindead but having fully functioning body is not that uncommon.

Lots of organs donated come from such cases.

gunshot wound to the head? what about countless brain trauma that can lead to death? (ever hear of people that are in a vegetative state?) I think there are plenty of times this could come up, not just "i'm poor so i'll sell my body for cash" you stated.

GKnight

Banned
gunshot wound to the head? what about countless brain trauma that can lead to death? (ever hear of people that are in a vegetative state?) I think there are plenty of times this could come up, not just "i'm poor so i'll sell my body for cash" you stated.

I guess. There would still be a very sizable amount of people unwilling to donate their bodies. Probably less than half of those willing to donate organs. A lot of people see their bodies as their self.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom