• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's 2017. Should Apple update their iPod? Do you still own one?

linkboy

I've owned a Sony NWZ-A17 since 2015 and I love it. It's everything I've ever wanted the iPod to be.

It's compact
It supports Bluetooth
It supports MicroSD

And I don't have to use iTunes.

Since we're talking about watches replacing iPods, does anyone have an Android Wear watch that lets you automatically sync new podcasts to the device? I really like the features of Apple Watch series 2 (GPS, waterproof, small) but the awful podcast workflow was a deal-killer for me. I need something I can take to the gym/running without my phone nearby, and have new podcasts loaded automatically. If Android Wear can make that easy to do from my Mac, or even pull down new podcasts itself directly over Wifi, I'd certainly consider it.

jts

...hate me...
It still wouldn't make sense, but if they did update it, it should be to include wifi, Siri, and Apple Music.

But really I don't see how it fits in the current Apple flow. I just can't imagine that class of device as a complement to an iPhone anymore, and make no mistake, Apple wants you to have an iPhone more than anything else. If you want a personal device to carry some songs on you for running or whatever, you have the Apple Watch, which, surprise surprise, it's an iPhone complement and needs it.

Apple wants you to have an iPhone more than anything else. If you want a personal device to carry some songs on you for running or whatever, you have the Apple Watch, which, surprise surprise, it's an iPhone complement and needs it.
I think this gets to the heart of it. People's lives revolve around their phones these days, so that's the targeted use case / workflow. If I ever do want to get an Apple Watch or other wearable to replace my iPod, I probably just need to accept that I'll have to fiddle with podcast sync using my phone. It still seems silly it's all manual. Why not new podcast => download to iPhone => sync to watch? I know space is tight on the watch, but this seems like something that could be kept in check by having a setting for podcast space usage quota.

Melon Husk

I still own this old Touch because of the design

touch600121283891417.jpg

The combination of size, weight, shape and materials has not been beaten. Aged battery rendered it unusable years ago.

Refresh the internals and I'll buy one again.

Megabat

I still own this old Touch because of the design

The combination of size, weight, shape and materials has not been beaten. Aged battery rendered it unusable years ago.

Refresh the internals and I'll buy one again.

Heck yeah!! I love the weight and shape of the polished aluminum-iPods.

Mine (5th-gen classic) just came back to life! It's scratching around and sucking up three Stevie Ray Vaughan albums and the new (old (new to me (because I'm a moron))) Frank Ocean!

Never owned an iPod. I had some crappy 128 MB MP3 player (iRiver was the brand) in the early 2000s that held maybe 3-4 albums of low-quality MP3s at the time. Loved it.

Eventually got a Creative ZEN Vision M (30GB? 20GB? I forget) which was amazing. Also had a Zen Stone (1 GB) I used once in a while which was basically Creative's attempt at an iPod Shuffle.

Eventually I stopped using them once I got a feature phone that could store music, and then of course once I got a smart phone that was the last time I ever thought about getting an MP3 player. Probably never will own one ever again.

bman94

No, because Apple stopped giving a shit about them a while ago and there are better options out there for dedicated music players like Sony's Walkman series.

The day I got a smartphone negated the use of an iPod for me. Why carry around two similarly sized devices when one can do the trick.

Well one makes your music sound fantastic, the other makes it sounds like your music is being listened to out a tin garbage can rolling down a hill with tiny rocks constantly hitting it on the way.

I forgot about batteries going bad eventually. That makes my 2007 iPod even more impressive. I still only have to charge it like once a week, and that's after 10 years of use! Apple products are expensive, but the quality is there... $170 retail price / 10 years = $17 a year = $1.40 a month. Pretty damn good.

Although that doesn't seem to hold for Apple computers and laptops. I mean yeah the build quality is excellent, but the hardware gets outpaced too fast. There's no way you could use a Mac from 10 years ago, it'd be way too slow. Even my Mac Mini was slow as death after like 5 years (from date of purchase) until I threw a SSD and more RAM in there.

Well one makes your music sound fantastic, the other makes it sounds like your music is being listened to out a tin garbage can rolling down a hill with tiny rocks constantly hitting it on the way.
Huh? It sounds like something's wrong with your device. The sound quality should the same no matter the source, phone or ipod. Or are you listening using the speakers built into your phone? That's obviously going to sound horrible... get some headphones

jts

...hate me...
Tim Cook casually browsing GAF and going like "shit, we haven't cancelled that already? get me Phil on the phone".

jts

...hate me...
Those little fat iPod Nanos were always the funniest looking things. Such a weird design.
Worst iPod nano design. Completely threw out the sexiness.

Thankfully they corrected it well soon after with the 4th and especially 5th generations. 5th is for me the GOAT.

Fuchsdh

Worst iPod nano design. Completely threw out the sexiness.

Thankfully they corrected it well soon after with the 4th and especially 5th generations. 5th is for me the GOAT.

Yep, the "candy bar" designs were great but the convex style was probably the best. Definitely the best color lineup of iPods at the time.

Makes sense they'd get cut, at this point I could only imagine if they're only selling 1–2 million iPods that vast majority were the Touches. RIP iPod era.

choco-fish

I Was using an iPod classic 160gb up till about a week ago. My phone provider offered everyone 6 months free Apple Music with unlimited data. The lack of storage space and cost of higher capacity iPhones meant I'd always stuck to using my iPod but I guess that's a moot point now.

I'll probably go back to the classic as the battery life is great and I sometimes need my phone for sat nav when driving.

pablito

I loved my ipod at the time. I still have my OG ipod and a touch. But with my iphone, streaming services, unlimited data/wifi, I just don't need them anymore.

Tim Cook casually browsing GAF and going like "shit, we haven't cancelled that already? get me Phil on the phone".
LOL

It's funny to think about, but I wonder how much money Apple still makes off of lagging iPod sales? I mean, for Apple it's effectively zero profit as compared to iPhone/etc, but probably would be a respectable income for a smaller company.

Top Bottom