• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Its been a year since Xbox Announced Cross-Network Play

Andodalf

Banned
Are there even any cross play games on XB1PC that are between Steam and XB1 and not just two MS stores?

MS did a good PR move but seems most of the cross play between consoles and PC (outside Win store) is still on other consoles.

Rocket league and Gwent, as have been said many times in this thread.

Luminaire

There's a serious lack of logical thinking here.

If what you're saying were true, then crossplay between console and PC would have been the norm rather than the exception all along. If Sony doesn't want to allow XB1+PS4, then the options on the PC side just become XB1+PC or PS4+PC... which is effectively no different than PS4+PC always was... so why wasn't everything crossplay as a standard up to now?

We're talking since MS announced this. They made their statement and everyone was quick to jump on Sony because MS made a PR statement and a few devs were ready to roll. In response, many people were quick to jump on MS about FF14. It's been a lot of fingerprinting. Since announcement, MS has barely supported cross network play. We should be seeing numerous multi platform games on PS4, PC, and XB1 being XB1+PC since Sony is seemingly not wanting to play ball. If Sony is truly the problem, let that be shown. My comments are that it's a PR spin and not truly something they were planning to fight for. Actions speak louder than words, and there seems to be a lot of inaction all around.

Mandoric

Banned
Considering dragon quest X comes out next month and is cross play with PC, switch, wiiu and the fucking 3ds. I'd say they are fine with cross play to other consoles.

Wow, yeah, I forgot that this was getting a PS4 port. There you go: a title cross-playable between every viable platform that isn't a Microsoft console, plus a few dead ones for extra spice.

I guess Sony and Nintendo shipping actual software is not as reliable a metric for some people as Microsoft shipping IGN articles, though.

Synth

We're talking since MS announced this. They made their statement and everyone was quick to jump on Sony because MS made a PR statement and a few devs were ready to roll. In response, many people were quick to jump on MS about FF14. It's been a lot of fingerprinting. Since announcement, MS has barely supported cross network play. We should be seeing numerous multi platform games on PS4, PC, and XB1 being XB1+PC since Sony is seemingly not wanting to play ball. If Sony is truly the problem, let that be shown. My comments are that it's a PR spin and not truly something they were planning to fight for. Actions speak louder than words, and there seems to be a lot of inaction all around.

Crossplay isn't something the platform holders are ever expected to provide direct support to... it's something they either do or don't restrict developers from implementing.

We know Sony's fine with crossplay with PC, but that hasn't result in games being PC+PS4 by standard, so why would MS being ok with crossplay to PC result in that either? There are Xbox games that play with Steam and GoG, whereas there wasn't before, but they're not gonna force Netherrealm to make Injustice 2 crossplay... that's the developers choice (and on them to implement), and in that situation making the game crossplay with PS4 instead is an equally valid option (if not moreso due to playerbase size). It says absolutely nothing about MS or Sony's willingness to allow crossplay between their platforms. The statements being made by developers, and the tiptoeing around the subject in response from Sony says far more.

Wow, yeah, I forgot that this was getting a PS4 port. There you go: a title cross-playable between every viable platform that isn't a Microsoft console, plus a few dead ones for extra spice.

I guess Sony and Nintendo shipping actual software is not as reliable a metric for some people as Microsoft shipping IGN articles, though.

Well, from that we can assume Sony's cool with crossplay to Nintendo's network, as well as Steam. Doesn't mean they'd let a game crossplay with XBL still.

As we've been discussing, this likely has a lot to do with not wanting to give up competitive advantages (hence why they were apparently fine with XBL crossplay last gen). This particular case more likely benefits Sony more than Nintendo, whereas crossplay with XBL clearly benefits MS rather than Sony.

EmiPrime

This is something that should have been negotiated behind closed doors. I am not surprised that Sony have effectively told them to go pound sand.

Microsoft making a public announcement with nothing to show of it was ultimately an impotent power play. It appealed to those who make sarcastic "4theplayers" posts on reddit and forums but that's about it.

I would like to be able to link my PSN and Xbox IDs and have proper cross platform parties and voice comms not just cross platform random match making but that requires proper collaboration and both companies acting in good faith not theatre and trying to force the issue.

MS seems strict on literally everything but Rocket League and Gwent. Even Windows Store CoD is so locked down that they hand out refunds for the :tumbleweed: exclusive queues.

One platformholder has a long history of it not even being a question. One platformholder has an almost-unbroken history of "nope" with the only counterpoint being "well, okay, but one of our conditions is removing the only reason you'd bother".

And that's not even going into what else, even what completely reasonable other things, may or may not be in the cert requirements - which are infamously negotiable for MS based on PR and business considerations (read, why we got FFXI in the first place) which makes coordinated messaging on key western titles a little suspicious.
Win Store Cod was on Activision.

There already a handful of play anywhere games with cross play on xbone and win store, including the biggest release from Ms last year.

Kayant

Well, from that we can assume Sony's cool with crossplay to Nintendo's network, as well as Steam. Doesn't mean they'd let a game crossplay with XBL still.

As we've been discussing, this likely has a lot to do with not wanting to give up competitive advantages (hence why they were apparently fine with XBL crossplay last gen). This particular case more likely benefits Sony more than Nintendo, whereas crossplay with XBL clearly benefits MS rather than Sony.
Searching around I can't seem to find anything confirmed in terms of cross-plat play happening with all those platforms unless I have missed something and if we look at Pure chess I don't think this is the case.

Mandoric

Banned

And to iOS and Android, which are existential threats to the entire concept of consoles.

There are two options here: every. other. platform. holder. including Apple, Google, and Valve are maintaining disingenous PR facades in a conspiracy to keep poor MS down, or MS, the company with a documented history of disingenous one-time exceptions for PR wins, are doing what they've always done.

This is wrong. 100% of the multi-player enabled games Ms has announced since the announcement has cross play, there's a few id@xbox games already taking advantage of it as well.

It was a smart move on Microsoft's part. The underdog gets to look like the hero in the eyes of gamers while Sony, who has absolutely no incentive to get on board because of their larger install base, looks like the villain. Microsoft had nothing to lose.

Microsoft making a public announcement with nothing to show of it was ultimately an impotent power play. It appealed to those who make sarcastic "4theplayers" posts on reddit and forums but that's about it.
How many Cross play games there are on PS4 right now?

Ever since the announcement MS added Rocket League, Gears 4, Forza Horizon 3, Gigantic, Astroneer and gwent. All from the top of my head so perhaps there's even more.

And this year Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2 and Sea of Thieves are joining the cross play party.

So how is that "with nothing to show for"?

EmiPrime

Ever since the announcement MS added Rocket League, Gears 4, Forza Horizon 3, Gigantic, Astroneer and gwent. All from the top of my head so perhaps there's even more.

And this year Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2 and Sea of Thieves are joining the cross play party.

I meant cross play Xbox with PlayStation, I mean that's what this thread is about! UWP PC to Xbox isn't really cross network.

Lifeline

Sony's not going to approve unless they get some kind of benefit out of this. Like Microsoft ponying up money to use PSN gamers to fill their dead lobbies.

Xbox x Switch seems more plausible.

While some of those are cross-play, a title like Gears being on two networks that MS controls is not the same as a title being cross play on one network that MS controls and one that MS does not (such as steam).

meirl

Banned
Sony's not going to approve unless they get some kind of benefit out of this. Like Microsoft ponying up money to use PSN gamers to fill their dead lobbies.

Dead lobbies? So you are saying PSN lobbies are more populated than XBL lobbies? Any proof for this?

ksdixon

This was just a bait and switch PR move to try to make Sony look bad, meanwhile X360 COD players can't even play together with XB1 COD players.

Synth

And to iOS and Android, which are existential threats to the entire concept of consoles.

There are two options here: every. other. platform. holder. including Apple, Google, and Valve are maintaining disingenous PR facades in a conspiracy to keep poor MS down, or MS, the company with a documented history of disingenous one-time exceptions for PR wins, are doing what they've always done.

"Existential threats to the entire concept of consoles"... c'mon now...

The other platform holders have nothing to do with this. We know Valve doesn't prevent XBL crossplay, because Rocket League. Apple and Google aren't even in the same sphere... MS can put actual XBL on iPhone and Android and they don't care.

Sony targeting MS directly on the other hand is standard fare. It why there are games are tapped to be "console exclusives"... because they don't give a shit about it actually being exclusive, they care about it not being on Xbox. Dragon Quest X would be more like Final Fantasy XI was for MS... it's a win for them to have it, and the alternative would likely be it not hitting the console at all. It's not at all comparable to a game that exists on both platforms where the developers have directly expressed that they want it to be crossplay and that Sony is the only hold up.

shanafan

Dead lobbies.. lol.

Over 33k playing BF1 right now on Xbox One.

Fisty

If Win 10/Xbox counts, I think PS4/PS3/Vita titles should count too

BigEmil

Microsoft was against cross play of Xbox 360 with PS3 last gen

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/kotaku...-to-play-against-an-xbox-360-but-you-wont/amp

"Microsoft won't let Sony players play against them," Rodberg said"

I checked with Microsoft to be sure Rodberg wasn't maybe just mis-hearing them. Maybe Microsoft wanted to break the barrier too? Here's a Microsoft spokesperson saying "no," while promoting how awesome the Xbox 360's online service is: "Xbox Live delivers the best entertainment experience unmatched by anyone else, with 35 million actively engaged members. We have a high level of expectation for our game developers to ensure that all Live experiences remain top notch. Because we can't guarantee this level of quality, or control the player experience on other consoles or gaming networks, we currently do not open our network to games that allow this cross-over capability."

And now suddenly this gen Microsoft is supposedly for it? Hm i wonder why? Maybe their console is not the lead like last gen and also trying to gain some PR points for themselves

Raide

I can see MS wanting to push this heavily once they talk about XB1, Scorpio and PC stuff. Unless larger 3rd party games jump in, MS will probably be showing off come e3.

Mandoric

Banned
"Existential threats to the entire concept of consoles"... c'mon now...

The other platform holders have nothing to do with this. We know Valve doesn't prevent XBL crossplay, because Rocket League. Apple and Google aren't even in the same sphere... MS can put actual XBL on iPhone and Android and they don't care.

Sony targeting MS directly on the other hand is standard fare. It why there are games are tapped to be "console exclusives"... because they don't give a shit about it actually being exclusive, they care about it not being on Xbox. Dragon Quest X would be more like Final Fantasy XI was for MS... it's a win for them to have it, and the alternative would likely be it not hitting the console at all. It's not at all comparable to a game that exists on both platforms where the developers have directly expressed that they want it to be crossplay and that Sony is the only hold up.

If Sony cared about games being on Xbox, how and why did we get FFXI, and why is SE completely unconcerned about how they would react to an FFXIV port? And again, why would that be a bigger concern than PC or mobile, both of which are far more viable in any market but especially Japan where the every-platform games we've gotten have been most popular?

I don't mean to impugn Psyonix or CDPR, because MS has a history of going "sure, we'll let you do it" without this applying to anyone else. But there comes a point where you have to put up or shut up, and Sony and Nintendo (and Apple, Google, and Valve) have all put up while MS emphatically hasn't - either there's an industrywide unspoken embargo against working with MS in particular, or far more likely MS is talking a big game about flexibility but is unwilling to actually deliver with the same flexibility as any other potential counterpart.

Lom1lo

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/kotaku...-to-play-against-an-xbox-360-but-you-wont/amp

I checked with Microsoft to be sure Rodberg wasn't maybe just mis-hearing them. Maybe Microsoft wanted to break the barrier too? Here's a Microsoft spokesperson saying "no," while promoting how awesome the Xbox 360's online service is: "Xbox Live delivers the best entertainment experience unmatched by anyone else, with 35 million actively engaged members. We have a high level of expectation for our game developers to ensure that all Live experiences remain top notch. Because we can't guarantee this level of quality, or control the player experience on other consoles or gaming networks, we currently do not open our network to games that allow this cross-over capability."

And now suddenly this gen Microsoft is supposedly for it? Hm i wonder why? Maybe their console is not the lead like last gen and also trying to gain some PR points for themselves
Yeah and the change of management + change of the general direction of the company as a whole has nothing to do with this.sure

Chris1

Honestly kind of sad to see people just accepting it and even defending Sony.. People should be pushing for it regardless, have your own interests in mind not some multi billion dollar corporation

Same kind of mentality that started the whole online paywall crap aswell

Whoever has the most successful platform at the time, and therefore doesn't want to give people a reason to not buy in to their specific ecosystem.

I actually think MS is sincere here and will still do it even if Xbox wins the sales race next gen. MS these past few years is a very different company from before with all new heads in charge. Plus look at the direction they've gone the past couple of years & whatever to come in the future.

I get why people are skeptical and until it happens we'll never really know anyway but I really do think they are legit with this and what they've done for Xbox past few years is the main thing making me believe that (Doing what the fans want & making Xbox the best place to play via software/services - cross play fits into that extremely well)

To note PC - XB1 cross play in Win Store titles isn't new they have supported XB1 - PC since the beginning of ID@Xbox.

I meant cross play Xbox with PlayStation, I mean that's what this thread is about! UWP PC to Xbox isn't really cross network.

While some of those are cross-play, a title like Gears being on two networks that MS controls is not the same as a title being cross play on one network that MS controls and one that MS does not (such as steam).
Fair point, but I think you guys are misinterpreting what the announcement was.

Basically they said, we are supporting cross play between live and other networks, we have our requirements like Xbox users always opting out, and it's going to be up to each developer to support. And we are super excited about cross device play on Xbox live so we will push it too.

So basically they are open to it, provided the game offers what they deem a experience Xbox users should have, and are also pushing cross play on their platform as a differentiator.

It would be nice for them to allow exceptions, and perhaps they are planning to through the creators program, but that announcement wasn't just a pr stunt or just hot air, it was a means to attract more devs to their platform.

EmiPrime

because 4thefuckinplayers, that's why.

what do they stand to lose from allowing it? you will still need psplus to play online, except now it will technically be even more robust.

You realise that was just a marketing slogan and "for the players [who buy our consoles]" isn't as catchy? I would have thought this was obvious.

As for what they have to lose, they want you to buy multi-plats on PS4 not XB1. Tekken 7 will be dead online on XBL not long after launch, cross platform play would sustain it and give people a reason to buy it on XB1 instead of PS4.

This requires negotiation and collaboration not "ball's in your court Sony!" bullshit.

nynt9

This is wrong. 100% of the multi-player enabled games Ms has announced since the announcement has cross play, there's a few id@xbox games already taking advantage of it as well.

Xbox play anywhere isn't the same thing as real cross play with steam versions of games, which is what sane PC gamers will be buying. Cross playing inside their own windows store ecosystem doesn't demonstrate true platformless play.

Synth

If Sony cared about games being on Xbox, how and why did we get FFXI, and why is SE completely unconcerned about how they would react to an FFXIV port? And again, why would that be a bigger concern than PC or mobile, both of which are far more viable in any market but especially Japan?

Xbox is a bigger concern because it's a direct competitor in a way that PC isn't, and especially not mobile. If the PC was seen as a competitor to PlayStation in the way Xbox is, there'd be far fewer No Man Sky type "console exclusives" hitting PC. The only part of the PC world Sony consider a direct threat to them is in VR, where they will treat the competing platforms the same way they deal with Xbox (hence 1yr deal on RE7 VR, etc).

FFXI was last gen, when apparently Sony was fine with crossplay.Even then... considering we're apparently always trying to deduce any potential smallprint here - and given the comments Harada has been making - it's quite possible that MMOs are a special case, because they never connect p2p with the other platform. That would also explain Dragon Quest X being fine, and Pure Chess not being.

I don't mean to impugn Psyonix or CDPR, because MS has a history of going "sure, we'll let you do it" without this applying to anyone else. But there comes a point where you have to put up or shut up, and Sony and Nintendo (and Apple, Google, and Valve) have all put up while MS emphatically hasn't - either there's an industrywide unspoken embargo against working with MS in particular, or far more likely MS is talking a big game about flexibility but is unwilling to actually deliver with the same flexibility as any other potential counterpart.

They publically announced that they'd allow crossplay with other platforms including PlayStation. They even stated that this is valid for small ID@Xbox projects. It's not a special case scenario.

Honestly kind of sad to see people just accepting it and even defending Sony.. People should be pushing for it regardless, have your own interests in mind not some multi billion dollar corporation

Same kind of mentality that started the whole online paywall crap aswell

Hell, crossplay isn't even really in my interests. I honestly don't think it's all benefits, and quite like the standardisation that console online systems bring... but if we're talking about why we don't have crossplay, that's a different matter entirely.

MS also tried cross play to Pc with games for Windows and when that failed they stopped cross play altogether.

Yeah, their market position is different but so is their current management and strategies. Also they have now Xbox live on pc, the same that is on Xbox thanks to the Universal platform and the goal now is to show the strength of that platform.

So no, it's not just because they aren't the top dog, or because they are good guys, it's a strategic move that enforces their platform.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I really don't understand why people expect Sony to vastly increase the attractiveness of the Xbox console by doing this. Makes no goddamn sense whatsoever. MS is getting stomped, that's why they are saying they allow it. You NEVER heard a peep from MS about console crossplay in gen 7
Rocket League already has crossplay with PC on both consoles, not to mention giant playerbases on both consoles.

leeh

The competitive angle to why Sony don't want to do this is just crap, for two reasons:

- Players on different platform can't interact at all. No game invites/chat/profiles etc.
- Cross-play solution only increases the player pool and longetivity of any game, by sustaining a higher player count for longer.

Dissapointing cross-play implementation, but I understand why it is that way. There's no reason for Sony not to do this, at all. The reason why MS have done this, this generation is due to the overhaul of Microsofts direction with new management. This is evident by looking at their open-source initiatives, .NET compiler, Ubuntu on W10, BSD images in Azure and MS SQL on Linux. Hell, even the artichet of Azure has joined the board of the Linux foundation.

Synth

Rocket League already has crossplay with PC on both consoles, not to mention giant playerbases on both consoles.

Yea, but if crossplay between the consoles themselves are allowed, then it significantly weakens the "follow your friends" factor. Someone could buy an Xbox to play Forza and still play Destiny with their friends on PS4, whereas today they'd likely instead buy the PS4. It helps maintain momentum, and did wonders for the 360 in the US.

You realise that was just a marketing slogan and "for the players [who buy our consoles]" isn't as catchy? I would have thought this was obvious.

As for what they have to lose, they want you to buy multi-plats on PS4 not XB1. Tekken 7 will be dead online on XBL not long after launch, cross platform play would sustain it and give people a reason to buy it on XB1 instead of PS4.

This requires negotiation and collaboration not "ball's in your court Sony!" bullshit.
Because cross play gives absolutely no benefit to ps4 user :rolleyes:

And what's up with that elitist shit?

Xbox play anywhere isn't the same thing as real cross play with steam versions of games, which is what sane PC gamers will be buying. Cross playing inside their own windows store ecosystem doesn't demonstrate true platformless play.
Their are allowing true platformless play, but obviously what they will actively push and promote is cross device using their network.

Mandoric

Banned
Xbox is a bigger concern because it's a direct competitor in a way that PC isn't, and especially not mobile. If the PC was seen as a competitor to PlayStation in the way Xbox is, there'd be far fewer No Man Sky type "console exclusives" hitting PC. The only part of the PC world Sony consider a direct threat to them is in VR, where they will treat the competing platforms the same way they deal with Xbox (hence 1yr deal on RE7 VR, etc).

FFXI was last gen, when apparently Sony was fine with crossplay.Even then... considering we're apparently always trying to deduce any potential smallprint here - and given the comments Harada has been making - it's quite possible that MMOs are a special case, because they never connect p2p with the other platform. That would also explain Dragon Quest X being fine, and Pure Chess not being.

They publically announced that they'd allow crossplay with other platforms including PlayStation. They even stated that this is valid for small ID@Xbox projects. It's not a special case scenario.

Hell, crossplay isn't even really in my interests. I honestly don't think it's all benefits, and quite like the standardisation that console online systems bring... but if we're talking about why we don't have crossplay, that's a different matter entirely.

So you're going with the "It's an anti-MS conspiracy, they have to be the only ones telling the real truth!" line in the face of software that plays across every other ecosystem in existence.

Guess there's no cure for uninformed fanboy.

ThatGuyJangle

Neo Member
I actually think MS is sincere here and will still do it even if Xbox wins the sales race next gen. MS these past few years is a very different company from before with all new heads in charge. Plus look at the direction they've gone the past couple of years & whatever to come in the future.

This is because they're trailing behind. Do you really think 360 BC would have happened had the sales been reversed and XB1 was dominating? Of course it wouldn't. They need anything and everything they can get to differentiate and a reason to own an XB1 over a PS4.

If they're so keen on cross play they should have done it last gen when Sony were, surprise surprise, open to the idea due to the PS3 trailing behind.

Synth

So you're going with the "It's an anti-MS conspiracy, they have to be the only ones telling the real truth!" line in the face of software that plays across every other ecosystem in existence.

Guess there's no cure for uninformed fanboy.

No, I'm saying that Psyonix and CDPR are telling the truth, because they don't really have a reason not to. Meanwhile Sony hasn't responded with any indication that they'd be willing to have crossplay with XBL.

So it's not even a case of one word versus another... it's three words vs silence.

Also, don't call me uninformed when all you seemingly have is "bu-but Final Fantasy!"

leeh

This is because they're trailing behind. Do you really think 360 BC would have happened had the sales been reversed and XB1 was dominating? Of course it wouldn't. They need anything and everything they can get to differentiate and a reason to own an XB1 over a PS4.

If they're so keen on cross play they should have done it last gen when Sony were, surprise surprise, open to the idea due to the PS3 trailing behind.
Nothing todo with their new CEO and overhaul of upper-management /s

leeh

Xbox has much more to gain from this than PlayStation. Are you really going to argue the contrary?

What elitist shit?
Everyone has something to gain and nothing to loose. Longetivity of player counts on games across the board.

There's no negative for Sony, at all.

ThatGuyJangle

Neo Member
Nothing todo with their new CEO and overhaul of upper-management /s

These people are not our friends, no matter how hard they try to come across like they are. They are there to make money and make the brand successful. They will tell us exactly what we want to hear if there's a chance it will turn things around for them.

Chris1

Of course it's why they changed mentality (hell yusef mehdi even admitted as much), but I honestly think this is the MS we've got now. This isn't just an xbox change, this is a Microsoft company wide change in mentality. Everything MS does for Xbox they're doing with windows now. If they are ONLY doing it because xbox is trailing, why are they doing it for Windows aswell? Windows dominates the OS market, what's their competition? Linux? lol

Windows guys active on twitter like Phil? Check.
Windows has its own feedback site like Xbox? Check.
Windows doing a lot of services etc (build in streaming, the new paint thing, etc)? Check.
Windows listening to what its "fans" (Not sure why you'd be a fan of an OS, but..) want? Check.

Different guys in charge with a different mentality. Satya Nadella & Phil are running the company/division completely different to any MS we've ever seen before.

Top Bottom