• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's completely normal for your first time: Bloodborne newcomers thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does explain most of the game mechanics via the messages on the floor in both the beginning area and around the Hunter's Dream area.

And there's a game manual in the game info area in the OS if you press down.
I read all the messages. There are small things like for instance last night when I popped it in for the first time, I died against the wolf, ok, that's purposeful, then I got the weapons in the dream world, went back in, and it didn't explain how to even equip them, unless I missed it. I spent a few minutes trying to figure it out until I did. I like to think I'm not really a fool when it comes to discovering things in game, but it just seemed unnecessary. All you have to do is just put a little popup message "Go into your menu to assign weapon to slot" etc.

Even in the OT, there are a lot of items I see people asking about that aren't explained or elaborated on, so they're confused on what they do. This isn't a huge dig against the game because people will find out one way or another eventually but it just could be handled so much better in my opinion. Really my only gripe so far.

Make sure to read all of the little notes. Many are left behind by other real players, but a number of them (especially early in the game and in hunter's dream) are left to teach you the basic mechanics.

I found the notes really really helpfull and I left one every time I learn something. I've been in some places where there weren't notes to be found and I was scared like shit.

Zabby

Guys what do the Arkane and Bloodtinge stats do exactly? No idea.
Beating the first boss at the second try and the second at the first felt AMAZING.

Vlade

I just beat [second boss] (which was actually the first boss I stumbled upon) and I have a different opinion than the OP. for the early early game, LEVELS DO MATTER. I was getting 2-hit at lvl 4, but since physical D rises with level in a way that matters early on, I tried again at lvl 19 and wrecked him.

point is, level to 20 if you are stuck.
I also recommend getting vit to 15 in those first bunch of levels.

Dave_6

'Souls' noob here. I died at the VERY first enemy right after you wake up, lol. Not sure I'm happy with the way my character looks so I may start over since I'm still at the very start anyways.

Bacon

I just beat [second boss] (which was actually the first boss I stumbled upon) and I have a different opinion than the OP. for the early early game, LEVELS DO MATTER. I was getting 2-hit at lvl 4, but since physical D rises with level in a way that matters early on, I tried again at lvl 19 and wrecked him.

point is, level to 20 if you are stuck.
I also recommend getting vit to 15 in those first bunch of levels.

Levels definitely matter, you will end up being able to take and dish out more damage. Ultimately strategy is going to always be more important than levels but to say levels don't matter at all is wrong.

Oppo

Thanks for this.

I'm enjoying the game a lot, and I do enjoy a challenge, but what I don't like is obtuseness for the sake of being obtuse. Throwing you into a world and not explaining things well in-game isn't challenging to me, it's just frustrating and bad design. But this should help a lot.

This is a common complaint, but I think the design is a fascinating one.

I won't pretend to know the designers' motives, but it seems to me, the purposefully obtuse design approach (in certain aspects, mind you; not all) combined with the in-game messaging and sharing/invading via multiplayer, is trying to push players to collaborate to figure out how to attack the world itself.

Contrast this approach with Destiny. Destiny explains mechanics fairly straightforwardly, but they still end up having purposefully obscure things like Strange Coins and appearances of Xur that would most likely be 'discovered' by players talking to each other. And it's awash in gear, but you are usually aiming for a tiny subset of super high end items ultimately.

In Bloodborne, nothing is explained about the world, you are just sort of tossed in, a pile of stats are available, and you don't know anything. But, you are given the ability to leave hints and see death replays right from the start. You are pushed towards communicating with other players, out of sheer need or curiosity. And there's ONLY "epic" or unique items in Bloodborne, in the traditional sense. Almost done away entirely with the trash loot.

Like, the way you need to summon a friendly co-op player is quite literally like casting a weird obscure spell in this game, it's fucking hilarious. You need a certain magic bell, your buddy needs another kind of magic bell, and there's a password, etc. It's preposterous. Of course it's made this way, it's not bad design; it's being obstinate and belligerent, because that's the sort of game this is. It's an asshole. It wants to fight with you, fight all of us, because it wants you to get help at certain points, collaborate or git gud, to provide that feeling of having displayed.. I suppose, a certain mastery of skill and arcane knowledge?

I'm not phrasing it very well, but I do understand why the Souls games scratch this particular obtuse itch. And things like lack of checkpoints and making you run the whole thing over and over... I dunno, I laugh about it when I describe it to un-knowing friends, as I describe it sort of like a nightmare I can't escape from, and the weird thrill of just testing yourself with it.

For new players, I'd compare it to learning to taste really really spicy food. It's painful at first and your asshole will be on fire but there's also an endorphin rush and it's kind of awesome

Nibel

'Souls' noob here. I died at the VERY first enemy right after you wake up, lol. Not sure I'm happy with the way my character looks so I may start over since I'm still at the very start anyways.

Well, that's the point of the enemy there; you are supposed to die there, heh.

Vlade

you will die, you should not think you are supposed to beat everything first look. souls lesson 0.

you are supposed to die there :p It sends you to the Dream Refuge which is part o f the story

JediLink

Well I learned something. Apparently I completely missed the Cleric Beast. I thought Gascoigne was the first boss.

Mupod

I think you're 'expected' to die there, kind of like the intro to Demon's Souls. I punched it in the ass and killed it. But afterwards was very confused because until you find the Hunter's Dream on your own you are weaponless against several more enemies.

SpaceHorror

Thanks for this thread. I'm not a complete Souls newbie, but I've never really gotten into them so I might as well be. Very helpful tips. Subbed.

Like, the way you need to summon a friendly co-op player is quite literally like casting a weird obscure spell in this game, it's fucking hilarious. You need a certain magic bell, your buddy needs another kind of magic bell, and there's a password, etc. It's preposterous. Of course it's made this way, it's not bad design; it's being obstinate and belligerent, because that's the sort of game this is. It's an asshole. It wants to fight with you, fight all of us, because it wants you to get help at certain points, collaborate or git gud, to provide that feeling of having displayed.. I suppose, a certain mastery of skill and arcane knowledge?

The Souls games are, in many ways, analogous to an immigrant's experience in a strange new land.

Oni Jazar

I've beaten all the Souls games, but with Bloodborne I'm three hours in and still stuck in the beginning. I've seen a boss once. :) It's all good though except for the load times. I'm dying a lot more here than ever and the waits kill me.

Dave_6

Well, that's the point of the enemy there; you are supposed to die there, heh.

you will die, you should not think you are supposed to beat everything first look. souls lesson 0.

you are supposed to die there :p It sends you to the Dream Refuge which is part o f the story

I think you're 'expected' to die there, kind of like the intro to Demon's Souls. I punched it in the ass and killed it. But afterwards was very confused because until you find the Hunter's Dream on your own you are weaponless against several more enemies.

LMAO, well that makes me feel better. I've been wondering about that since I had no weapons or anything. Duh!

Question:

I found 2 ritual bloods I asume that I need them for the chalice dungeons but It seems that I need something else because I can't create one. Looking around I learnt that you need actual chalices to create the dungeons, so, Do I need to find them? Or it will eventually happen in some way (killing a boss, offered by an NPC, etc)? Right now I'm fighting against the blood starved beast.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Great idea, subbed. Still pissed I gotta wait till Friday

Kqh

Neo Member
Played Demon's Souls back in the day. Didn't like it. Tried harder for a few days. Finally decided I was not the target and resold it.
Working in the industry, I've followed the hype around the two Dark Souls, wondering what made them so special to gamers.

Didn't bat an eye when I heard Bloodborne was the next DS. But I have to admit watching a bunch of videos and reading through what you guys write is kinda getting me on board more and more.

Conflicted ...

Played Demon's Souls back in the day. Didn't like it. Tried harder for a few days. Finally decided I was not the target and resold it.
Working in the industry, I've followed the hype around the two Dark Souls, wondering what made them so special to gamers.

Didn't bat an eye when I heard Bloodborne was the next DS. But I have to admit watching a bunch of videos and reading through what you guys write is kinda getting me on board more and more.

Conflicted ...
I was the same exact way. I didn't enjoy Demon's Souls at all (probably because I was fairly impatient back then lol). I'm enjoying Bloodborne a lot.

spyder_ur

LMAO, well that makes me feel better. I've been wondering about that since I had no weapons or anything. Duh!

I did that too Dave but realized it was probably intended after I got sent to the Dream place. But then I died a second, third, fourth time before I figured out how to actually equip my weapons.

This thread is great for people like me who have never played these before, thanks.

Quick questions though; I'm not sure where that first shortcut is supposed to be. Have I gone too far if I am fighting the huge group of guys near the effigy?

Also, where do you actually level up your stats? I know where to buy armor, but you spend blood to level up your stats too, right? Is that unlocked from the start?

Plasma

Banned
Thanks for this I'm getting Bloodborne on Friday, it's a bit daunting I've only played about an hour of Dark Souls when it was free on GwG.

there is a ton of bloodborne threads almost a uncanny amount but OP I really appreciate this thread it is VERY helpful, I subscribe to it as well, lol.

Regarding Weapons:

It's more beneficial to upgrade weapons then it is to level up. Upgraded weapons will help you deal far more damage to mobs and bosses then a few levels will.

In terms of which weapons to you. Don't get sucked into thinking that one weapon is better then another and so on. It's more important to look at the weapon moveset.

Whenever you get a new weapon, equip it if you can and press all the buttons. See what they do. For example, I prefer weapons that cover a large amount of horizontal distance with there swings so I've been really using the Axe. Knowing the moveset of your weapon is extremely important, both for boss fights and regular mobs.

Remember that L1 transforms your weapon. Try to get a feel for the entire moveset of the weapon.

On stat explanations:
Open up any menu screen and hit R3, and you can look at the basic description and names of each of the stats. This is really useful for when you want to find out what a weapon scales with and what stats you need.

NPCs
Exhaust NPC dialogues, always. Talk to them until they start repeating their stuff. Talk to them after you progress in the game. I've gotten a couple of items by talking to older NPCs after progressing a bit.

Binx

Also, where do you actually level up your stats? I know where to buy armor, but you spend blood to level up your stats too, right? Is that unlocked from the start?

You can do it after you face the first boss. You don't have to beat him. Just find him. Then speak with the doll in Hunters Dream

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm enjoying the game but I hate the constant nagging feeling that I may be accidentally skipping/overlooking/missing stuff. Like levers to open gates and whatnot. I beat the first boss last night and was expecting that to open up a new place to go, but it didn't really and now the only area I can find to progress is the creepy rat-filled sewers with the badass dudes patrolling the area above the rats. I get destroyed down there. It makes me feel like I missed something, but maybe I'm just supposed to get gud and make it through there.

What shortcutd do i need to reach the 2nd boss in 30 secs?

First, you should have the shortcut for the first boss open. Second:

You need to go down to the sewer area and get to the Giant Pig. There is a ladder that allows you to climb back up. On your left at the top will be an elevator. Just use the elevator to go back up and the shortcut is unlocked.

I'm enjoying the game but I hate the constant nagging feeling that I may be accidentally skipping/overlooking/missing stuff. Like levers to open gates and whatnot. I beat the first boss last night and was expecting that to open up a new place to go, but it didn't really and now the only area I can find to progress is the creepy rat-filled sewers with the badass dudes patrolling the area above the rats. I get destroyed down there. It makes me feel like I missed something, but maybe I'm just supposed to get gud and make it through there.

It's the latter.

Subbed thanks!
Right now this is all so confusing as I haven't played my first minute of the game yet. Will probably start tomorrow.

Binx

You need to find
an elevator. It is the same elevator guarded by the two giant guys close to the house you can enter, but you can't use that elevator until you enter from below. If you explore the sewer thoroughly, you should find a ladder to where you need to be. Once you operate the elevator from below, it is useable from the top and makes getting to the second boss much faster.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
It's the latter.

Haha ok then! I gotta practice getting good at gun stun/parry. I haven't really bothered doing it on the run of the mill villager dudes up to this point, but I know it's gonna be key for many encounters going forward.

Asuming the second boss is
Father Gascoing, you need to re-activate the elevator, obviously your first time is the long way where the pig is, climb the ladder that's before the entrance of the tunnel where the pig is, then go forth until you see a big staircase with a long bridge, before going on the bridge look at your left, there is the elevator. Activate it and you'll be just behind the two trolls that are wandering near the lamp, avoid them and go through a parallel street and go through the house (the familiar house with the wheelchair man), then to the lamp.

eshwaaz

Great idea for a thread! Will be checking in regularly.

I put in over 3 hours last night, and made a comically small amount of progress. I did upgrade my cane and bought the full set of first armor. It's definitely an intimidating experience, but I'm enjoying it so far.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
I'm sorry but we really don't need so many Bloodborne threads. People who are playing the game can participate in the |OT|.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom