• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's over 500,000! Warhammer Online's first week count of subscribers.

"Yeah, except with Warhammer the entire PvE portion can be summed up thusly: looked good on paper, poor execution.
Especially the Public Quests. Mythic REALLY needs to redesign the Public Quests, they are almost pointless right now."

Yeah...no.

For people drawing the comparison to AoC, the problem with AoC's launch (and steep number decline) was that AoC was 5 months off, at least, from being complete enough to release. WAR's not perfect, but right now, the only things you can truly complain about are some iffy Renown gear itemization, a handful of tome unlocks not having their rewards available, and a dire need of some performance patching.

Farnack

Banned
Halycon said:
It's like that for most MMOs isn't it?
Sinatar said:
If $49.99 is your idea of free then sure.
Active subscribers people. Retail sales doesn't exactly translate to subscribers.

It doesn't even make sense to call anyone a subscriber first week in for an MMO.

Shins

Banned
Farnack said:
It doesn't even make sense to call anyone a subscriber first week in for an MMO.
Free subscription is still a subscription, especially when you were willing to plunk down fifty dollars up-front to gain access to the game in the first place.

Farnack

Banned
Shins said:
Free subscription is still a subscription, especially when you were willing to plunk down fifty dollars up-front to gain access to the game in the first place.
You really should start thinking.

Boasting about "first week" for an MMO is weak. WoW in three years in and constantly growing. Blizzard didn't even say anything until like the 5 million mark.

Vinci

Danish
wmat said:
I'm still on the edge. I need more footage. Give me footage!

Watch videos by this guy in high quality. Some are affected by his use of Fraps to record, but otherwise he tends to give decent overviews of different careers in the game and explains certain details that might be glossed over in other vids.

Hope they help.

Farnack said:

Boasting about "first week" for an MMO is weak. WoW in three years in and constantly growing. Blizzard didn't even say anything until like the 5 million mark.

Seriously, man, why do you even bother? You don't want to like WAR, you hope it fails. Go play WoW and spend less time trolling this game. WoW is going to beat it, okay? Do you feel better? No one is claiming WAR will dethrone WoW, but it should exist as the 2nd most popular MMO. There's no reason it shouldn't. It's quality and it offers some things unique to the space.

JoeMartin

Farnack said:
Boasting about "first week" for an MMO is weak.

Boasting about your game selling fuckloads in the first week isn't exactly weak. And it's not even really boasting, because I'm sure tons of people were interested in what kind of numbers they turned out.

Farnack said:
WoW in three years in and constantly growing. Blizzard didn't even say anything until like the 5 million mark.

Start thinking and take your wow circle jerk to the wow thread.

Farnack

Banned
Vinci said:
Seriously, man, why do you even bother? You don't want to like WAR, you hope it fails. Go play WoW and spend less time trolling this game. WoW is going to beat it, okay? Do you feel better? No one is claiming WAR will dethrone WoW, but it should exist as the 2nd most popular MMO. There's no reason it shouldn't. It's quality and it offers some things unique to the space.
Looking at the word twisting in the thread title obviously needs fixing.

WAR sells 500k copies is what it should be.
JoeMartin said:
Boasting about your game selling fuckloads in the first week isn't exactly weak. And it's not even really boasting, because I'm sure tons of people were interested in what kind of numbers they turned out.
Then boast about the sales, not twisting it and calling it subscribers.
JoeMartin said:
Start thinking and take your wow circle jerk to the wow thread.
Oh cry.

JoeMartin

Farnack said:
Looking at the word twisting in the thread title obviously needs fixing.

WAR sells 500k copies is what it should be.

Except not at all. In order to even play the game you need to SUBSCRIBE to it. If someone has SUBSCRIBED to a game they may in turn be considered a SUBSCRIBER.

It's really not a hard concept to grasp.

Farnack

Banned
JoeMartin said:
Except not at all. In order to even play the game you need to SUBSCRIBE to it. If someone has SUBSCRIBED to a game they may in turn be considered a SUBSCRIBER.

It's really not a hard concept to grasp.
No you don't.

You have your free month.

Is that a hard concept to grasp?

Farnack said:
No you don't.

Why do you even care? Are you a diehard supporter of another MMO, or are you an online semantic battler. Technically, you are correct. In reality, no-one gives a shit. The game has 500,000 players.

JoeMartin

Farnack said:
No you don't.

The first 30 day SUBSCRIPTION is included with the retail price. And it's far from free, as has already been pointed out. And yes, there is literally a step in the account registration called "SUBSCRIPTION Setup" in which you select your first 30 days as included with the retail game code, and then either setup a recurring subscription or choose to use game cards.

So yes, you have to subscribe to play.

Is your wow ego really so wounded that you're get this far into semantics about it?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
500,000 people have the game.

we'll see in two months if they keep the account active. wow and deciding not to play it all play a roll. i bought the lord of the rings game, played my trial, and never touched it again.

the end.

LowParry

There's some major things that need to changed/fixed within the game. If those aren't fixed/changed within the next two months, I don't see many people staying.

I wonder if rushing WAR just to make it out before Wratch will pay off in the end. Releasing shortly before or after Wrath sounds like a lose-lose situation to me.

I wish them the best of luck in the world though.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
CcrooK said:
There's some major things that need to changed/fixed within the game. If those aren't fixed/changed within the next two months, I don't see many people staying.
I quit after the beta. I can't stand the small scale of the models, make it unplayable for me.

I look forward to a console version(not sure if that's still happening or not).

LowParry

Mister Chef said:
I wonder if rushing WAR just to make it out before Wratch will pay off in the end. Releasing shortly before or after Wrath sounds like a lose-lose situation to me.

I wish them the best of luck though.

Depends on how people go into Wrath. Are they thinking "Ohhh, another BC experience, joy!" or "Oh shit, I can't wait! New shit to play!". What may keep WAR up and running for the long haul is the PvP (RvR) that WoW doesn't do. Who knows though. I mean hell, look at AoC. For how shitty it's doing, it already has an expansion in the works.

verio

I am having much more fun with WAR than I have had with WoW since BC released. I don't see myself leaving for WotLK.

The RvR is much better than anything WoW has offered up to this point. PQs are amazing. Art design is almost as good as Blizzard's. Almost.

WAR is a great MMO.

DeathNote said:
I quit after the beta. I can't stand the small scale of the models, make it unplayable for me.

I look forward to a console version(not sure if that's still happening or not).

NO. NO. NO.

Proc

trading in some 360/ps3 games i don't play tomorrow to pick up this game and Clear Sky. Cannot wait for this weekend :)

JoeMartin

Mister Chef said:

I wish them the best of luck in the world though.

It was the better of the two choices though. People are largely bored with the content in WOW at the moment, and many are willing to suspend their WOW play for WAR. This would definitely not be the case if they released WAR right after WOTLK hit as many would be concerned with leveling and gearing up.

I assume the idea is to get and hook as many bored WOW players as they can, and so far it's working for me.

WAR's PVP is leaps and bounds better too (IMO), and that's all I'm really concerned with. Granted I haven't gotten the chance to play the WOTLK beta, and Wintergrasp certainly looks like a step in the right direction, but nothing I have seen has convinced me that the fundamental problems I have with WOW's PVP has changed (drastic emphasis on gear, far too much CC, far too much burst, lack of group combat structure). So I'll probably stick to WAR anyways.

TwiztidElf

Unlike the idiotic opinion based thread earlier in the week based off an idiotic article entitled "Don't bother competing with WoW" (or whatever), this thread is based in fact.

Unlike AoC, WAR has a solid dev (Mythic), very solid backing (EA), and a much stronger IP.

Unlike every other pretender to WoW's crown, this is actually a good, enjoyable fun game, and is easily the most stable MMO launch in history.

Can WAR beat WoW? Hell No.

Can WAR be a viable and profitable competitor? Absolutely yes.
This is what the MMO market needs.

verio

TwiztidElf said:
Unlike the idiotic opinion based thread earlier in the week based off an idiotic article entitled "Don't bother competing with WoW" (or whatever), this thread is based in fact.

Unlike AoC, WAR has a solid dev (Mythic), very solid backing (EA), and a much stronger IP.

Unlike every other pretender to WoW's crown, this is actually a good, enjoyable fun game, and is easily the most stable MMO launch in history.

Can WAR beat WoW? Hell No.

Can WAR be a viable and profitable competitor? Absolutely yes.
This is what the MMO market needs.

Well put.

verio

DeathNote said:
As in what, there will be no console version?

It's been stated many times from Mythic that there are no current plans for a console version.

Could that change? Maybe, but highly unlikely. So, pretty much no.

Concept17

If Mythic supports this game as they did DAoC I would expect a pretty consistent subscriber number for a couple years. If it continues to go up is another thing...

dLMN8R

lol, it's so fucking funny seeing all the console fanboys in every PC sales-related thread trying to justify why every fantastic success actually isn't a success in their professional opinions. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

dLMN8R said:
lol, it's so fucking funny seeing all the console fanboys in every PC sales-related thread trying to justify why every fantastic success actually isn't a success in their professional opinions. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Pretty sure its WoW fanboys.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
TheHeretic said:
It would play terribly on consoles. The UI is far too complex for a controller to handle.
if someone was going to release a pc ported mmo to consoles i'd assume and hope they'd either enable keyboard and mouse or make a special controller similar to Belkin's n52te, rather then try to use the stock controller

verio

DeathNote said:

Perhaps.

Barnett said: "We had a good look at the console about two years ago. The position we ended up with was it would have to be a different game. That's basically where we ended up with our thinking. And then Mark (Jacobs, Mythic co-founder) basically went 'I don't want to think about it yet. Stop thinking about it'. If Mark wakes up and decides we're going to do a console version then you'll get one as fast as possible. Just write a letter direct to Mark. 'I would very much like a console version. Please please please make one. Make it for this console'. He'll probably write back to you then and let you know. He's very good like that. Read his blog."

So there you have it. If you want a console version, write to Mark Jacobs.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/15-09-2008-9333.html

So, if enough people beg... maybe. :lol

But, seriously, there doesn't look to be any current plans. And, it's highly unlikely.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
DeathNote said:
So you didn't buy the game?

If you did, that makes it it's 499,999 :lol

Nah, I didn't :/

AoC I got bored of within 1 week simply because of its LAME lack of performance optimization

WoW gets boring because its essentially a single player game + chat... MSN + DS works the same way

Warhammer had me interested because of the RvR (I love PvP) but I just don't have the time for it these days and know id get bored of it because id get to play once a week

The primary reason I don't want this to be a breakout hit is because the longer Warhammer Online lasts the less likely it is to be a Warhammer 40K Online in the near future.

Blackface

Banned
Xiaoki said:
Yeah, it's enjoyable ....if you ignore all the problems.

It will probably settle around 250,000 subscribers in the long run.
A pretty average MMO that focuses on PvP is not going to have mass appeal.

WAR is by far the most polished MMO I have ever played at launch, and outside of a couple crashes, it was the smoothest launch I have seen next to DAOC.

Yes there are some bugs, but that happens with all MMORPGs.

The fact you say it's average is funny. What isn't average, WoW? When wow came out servers crashed daily, there was no pvp system, no caster itemization, no end game PVE or PVP, Mara wasn't in the game, you couldn't loot without suffering for a half hour, zones weren't finished, classes were unbalanced, Hunter pets were completely broken, and dozens of things were left out from Beta. "Siege Weapons, and Hero classes", which were on the horizon when the game launched, and promised in beta to come with the original game, are finally being added in 4 years later. Sadly, the Siege weapons are garbage and there is only 1 hero class.

WAR is by far the best PVP MMO on the market. There is no point in playing any other MMORPG in the world, if you like PVP. Period. There is no argument to this.

The leveling PVE in WAR is also better then what you get in WoW. It's the end game PVE that can't compare, but they weren't going for End game PVE. I suggest checking out the instanced PQ's you get while leveling up, or all of the amazing Tome Unlocks, the Public quests, and vanilla quests as well. They have a fantastic quest tracking system, and you are rewarded for exploring, by unlocking pocket items and trophies.

PQ's and the Tome of Knowledge are by far the best things to happen to MMO's this generation. When I think of playing MMORPG's from now on, I could not imagine doing it without a Tome of knowledge.

Now I can only hope game designers who make the next generation of MMORPG's don't drop the ball with this mechanic. Much like the incredible crafting and community system in SWG, which I felt should have won bag loads of awards (to bad the rest of the game was fucked), was tossed aside.

Hitmeneer

Nice for Mythic :)

I will definitely get WAR next year, when I have access to my gaming PC again. The only thing that could ruin it for them is, if no-one sticks to WAR, as what you can see at AoC. But it seems more polished then AoC, so I don't see any problems yet.

I personally already quit Warhammer got to level/rank 26 and said screw. I quit because I don't have time for a MMO anymore, and I went from WOW to Warhammer.

I like the game and think it's excellent, a much better PVP experience than WOW.

But those numbers are going down.

Truant

Age of Conan was a snowball of shit. A shitball if you will. A bad, broken game, coupled with bitter ex- fans and any publisher worst nightmare; bad word of mouth.

Everyone is saying WAR is good.

For people drawing the comparison to AoC, the problem with AoC's launch (and steep number decline) was that AoC was 5 months off, at least, from being complete enough to release. WAR's not perfect, but right now, the only things you can truly complain about are some iffy Renown gear itemization, a handful of tome unlocks not having their rewards available, and a dire need of some performance patching.

Yeah it's not like WAR didn't cut a load of content or anything, like 2/3rds of the endgame after delaying multiple times.

In a couple of months peoples reactions to this'll be just like AoC.

"Yeah it's not like WAR didn't cut a load of content or anything, like 2/3rds of the endgame after delaying multiple times."

Not even close to 2/3rds of the end game. Especially since a lot of the ideas in the cut cities were put into Altdorf/Inevitable City. There's still 19 zones for Tier 4 (Compared to the 6 zones in Tier 1/2/3, 3 times as much as the other tiers) with all the quests, keeps, PQs, etc.

Furthermore, that aspect of the end game (the cities) isn't something that people will have farmed and bored with in a month or two. I'd imagine a lot of servers will be lucky to even get a city into a contested state within a month or two, let alone capturing the king.

Do you actually know anything about what was cut?

Farnack said:

Do you enjoy being wrong?

http://pc.ign.com/articles/569/569832p1.html

December 1, 2004 - World of Warcraft is selling well. Very well, according to Blizzard, which announced today that the ambitious MMORPG title is already the fastest-selling PC game ever in North America.

Blizzard's internal numbers and reports from various national retailers, including EB Games, Wal-Mart, and GameStop, show that at least 240,000 eager gamers grabbed World of Warcraft on November 23. Blizzard reports this means the game sold more in its first 24 hours than any other PC title has, ever.

World of Warcraft also broke records in account creation and concurrent players. More than 200,000 players created accounts during the first day. By 5:00 p.m. PST, more than 100,000 were playing the game concurrently. Blizzard points out that these numbers make World of Warcraft the fastest-growing MMORPG yet.

I'm really happy to see the numbers. I hope going through the holiday season we'll see the other million copies come off of store shelves. We really need to fill up those PQs people!

Top Bottom