• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's over 500,000! Warhammer Online's first week count of subscribers.

Xiaoki

Trax416 said:
The fact you say it's average is funny. What isn't average, WoW?
It is. Warhammer does nothing special. Warhammer is just another WoW in that it takes a lot of ideas and adds it's own spin.

Trax416 said:
no caster itemization
This is one of the big complaints in Warhammer. The itemization is absolutey terrible.
Here's a news flash Mythic: I don't want to stack a ton of Toughness on a Bright Wizard.

Trax416 said:
no end game PVE or PVP, Mara wasn't in the game, you couldn't loot without suffering for a half hour, zones weren't finished, classes were unbalanced, Hunter pets were completely broken, and dozens of things were left out from Beta. "Siege Weapons, and Hero classes", which were on the horizon when the game launched, and promised in beta to come with the original game, are finally being added in 4 years later. Sadly, the Siege weapons are garbage and there is only 1 hero class.
Holy crap, there is so much wrong with this paragraph it would be a waste of my time to correct it all.
Hey, it's fine that you like Warhammer and don't like WoW but don't fabricate lies.

Trax416 said:
WAR is by far the best PVP MMO on the market. There is no point in playing any other MMORPG in the world, if you like PVP. Period. There is no argument to this.
Yes there is.
EVE yo.

Trax416 said:
The leveling PVE in WAR is also better then what you get in WoW.
Another huge complaint with Warhammer.
Warhammer's PvE is PvE for retards. Having every quest tell you where to go is just plain stupid.
Non-Warhammer fanboys agree that Warhammer's PvE is boring and pointless.

Trax416 said:
PQ's and the Tome of Knowledge are by far the best things to happen to MMO's this generation. When I think of playing MMORPG's from now on, I could not imagine doing it without a Tome of knowledge.
The Public Quests is one of those "looked good on paper" things. Nearly every one I was involved with people would just do the Phase 1 and hardly ever move on to Phase 2. Only saw a Public Quest completed twice. Awesome.

The other big complaints I've seen are:

Crafting - they shouldn't have even bothered.

Open RvR servers - I wouldn't doubt that most of the people leaving Warhammer in the first few days were from Open RvR servers. Mythic/EA should just close all of them down.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Vinci said:
Watch videos by this guy in high quality. Some are affected by his use of Fraps to record, but otherwise he tends to give decent overviews of different careers in the game and explains certain details that might be glossed over in other vids.

Hope they help.
Thanks mayne, I'll check 'em out asap.

"Non-Warhammer fanboys agree that Warhammer's PvE is boring and pointless."

Translation: Anyone who disagrees with me must be a fanboy.

"The Public Quests is one of those "looked good on paper" things. Nearly every one I was involved with people would just do the Phase 1 and hardly ever move on to Phase 2. Only saw a Public Quest completed twice. Awesome."

Hasn't been my experience, nor the experience of a lot of other people, apparently. Sucks to be you!

"It is. Warhammer does nothing special. Warhammer is just another WoW in that it takes a lot of ideas and adds it's own spin. "

Welcome to video games?

"Another huge complaint with Warhammer.
Warhammer's PvE is PvE for retards. Having every quest tell you where to go is just plain stupid.
Non-Warhammer fanboys agree that Warhammer's PvE is boring and pointless."

Didn't you just champion Eve Online a little bit earlier? So, if Warhammer's PvE is PvE for retards, is Eve's PvE for vegetables? Eve not only tells you where to go: It gives you a bookmark to fly there in pretty much one click. That's absolutely fine, though, because that's not really the focal point of Eve. Understand?

Darklord

Banned
That's nothing in my opinion. It's how many subscribers they have after Wrath of the Lich king that will be show us if they can stand a chance.

Teknopathetic said:
Furthermore, that aspect of the end game (the cities) isn't something that people will have farmed and bored with in a month or two. I'd imagine a lot of servers will be lucky to even get a city into a contested state within a month or two, let alone capturing the king.

Do you actually know anything about what was cut?
They still cut a number of classes, and the original intention was for what's currently in-game to only be 1/3 of the end game.

JoeMartin

Xiaoki said:
It is. Warhammer does nothing special. Warhammer is just another WoW in that it takes a lot of ideas and adds it's own spin.

WoW is just another EQ.

And while WAR and WoW share a similar UI, the similarities stop right about there. The only people who say they're the same are the people who haven't played WAR.

Xiaoki said:
This is one of the big complaints in Warhammer. The itemization is absolutey terrible.
Here's a news flash Mythic: I don't want to stack a ton of Toughness on a Bright Wizard.

Yeah Mythic had kind of an itemization backlash. Renown gear used to be outrageous, but they knocked it back some so it wasn't the "only" option, and now it kind of sucks. Balancing is part of the game. Gear will change again, I'm sure.

Xiaoki said:
Holy crap, there is so much wrong with this paragraph it would be a waste of my time to correct it all.
Hey, it's fine that you like Warhammer and don't like WoW but don't fabricate lies.

What in there is completely wrong? Do you even remember what WoW was like when it launched? Let alone what it was like in the beta?

Xiaoki said:
Yes there is.
EVE yo.

While I would agree that WAR and EVE are the only two great PVP MMO's, they have a vastly different demographic as far as taste in games go.

EVE is about as hardcore as games come, and the average MMO player will have no interest in putting with the more "rewarding" aspects of the game.

I still hold that it's a fantastic game for anyone willing to immerse themselves in it, but that's generally few and far between.

Xiaoki said:

Well thank God the game was designed almost entirely for RVR then, eh?

Xiaoki said:
The Public Quests is one of those "looked good on paper" things. Nearly every one I was involved with people would just do the Phase 1 and hardly ever move on to Phase 2. Only saw a Public Quest completed twice. Awesome.

I agree that there are far too many PQs in each zone which makes it hard to find a pug for each PQ, but if you're in a guild you can hit them up and enjoy them just fine.

Xiaoki said:

The potion market is great and talismans are important for a lot of gear. It's not hugely robust, but it serves its purpose for now.

Xiaoki said:
Open RvR servers - I wouldn't doubt that most of the people leaving Warhammer in the first few days were from Open RvR servers. Mythic/EA should just close all of them down.

Why do you say that? If you sign up for an Open RVR server you're pretty much explicitly told what you're getting into.

"They still cut a number of classes, and the original intention was for what's currently in-game to only be 1/3 of the end game."

Yeah, they did still cut classes, but again, this is nowhere on the scale of AOC's rope-a-dope where they carried on like the things that weren't in the game still were.

Teknopathetic said:
"They still cut a number of classes, and the original intention was for what's currently in-game to only be 1/3 of the end game."

Yeah, they did still cut classes, but again, this is nowhere on the scale of AOC's rope-a-dope where they carried on like the things that weren't in the game still were.
Word, it's a mistake to say they're on par. The inconsistency in the number of quests available to you throughout leveling up in AOC was atrocious.

Draft

PQs are a good idea, but I don't think their implementation is very good.

The first few are pretty great. But once you get to maybe chapter 5 or 6, they all seem to have the same issues:

1. Phase one lasts forever because you have to kill 100+ of whatever. Then the respawn rate either goes nuts, and you have to be careful not to be overwhelmed, or your group beats the respawn rate and you all stand around for 30 seconds at a time waiting for the next wave to spawn.

2. Phase 2 is easy and quick. Phase 2 is pretty much always easy and quick.

3. Phase 3 now introduces a boss character and his minions that BUTT FUCK single groups. That's the thing that bugs me the most. Phase 1 seems designed for one group. One group can pretty rapidly clear out the area. Phase 2 can be soloed usually, but it goes quicker with one group. Phase 3? Better bring a damn warband, buddy, or at least an EXTREMELY competent 6 man.

Every PQ I've done since chapter 5 or so has been the same: I join an open group, we get to phase 3, phase 3 obliterates us, we disperse and everyone goes back to scenario queues.

"1. Phase one lasts forever because you have to kill 100+ of whatever. Then the respawn rate either goes nuts, and you have to be careful not to be overwhelmed, or your group beats the respawn rate and you all stand around for 30 seconds at a time waiting for the next wave to spawn."

This is true. Sometimes, the spawns are perfect, sometimes we're sitting around.

"3. Phase 3 now introduces a boss character and his minions that BUTT FUCK single groups. That's the thing that bugs me the most. Phase 1 seems designed for one group. One group can pretty rapidly clear out the area. Phase 2 can be soloed usually, but it goes quicker with one group. Phase 3? Better bring a damn warband, buddy, or at least an EXTREMELY competent 6 man."

I pretty much did all the T3 PQs in a group of 4. Me (Ironbreaker), an engineer, a rune priest, and a white lion. I can't really think of one we couldn't do. There are some times we added a swordmaster, but yeah, single group.

The only PQ I can definitely think of that needs a high level warband+ for SURE is the Vampire in Marshes of Madness (T2), which we had a warband of varying levels and got totally wrecked. Also maybe that PQ at the end of Norsca (T1).

Draft

Like I said, competent group. Presumably you speak to these people through some electronic device. That goes a long way.

I just feel like they are too hard for even level PUGs. Especially if that PUG isn't a nice, balanced group (IE- warrior priest tanking, archmage healing, ironbreaker who doesn't own a shield DPSing, etc.)

Maybe that's the intent, that they be like little mini-dungeons that require an organized group. But if that's the case, I don't know, I don't think I could be bothered to put together a party to do PQs, and I certainly haven't found much interest in that from the community on my server. Dudes are, of course, trying to pvp pvp pvp. So the PQs are basically ghost towns, at least in T2.

edit: Grave digger one is the one I was thinking of. And you're probably right, overwhelmed isn't the right word, at least if you have a group. But God help you if you're trying to farm influence by soloing act 1.

Vinci

Danish
Gotta love being called fanboys by people coming into a thread of a game competing with their addiction and trolling the hell out of it. Nicely played, guys. Seriously. If you don't want the game, don't come into this thread and spread nonsense.

It's good. It's from a good dev that listens to the community. Accept it.

Leatherface

I've been playing since the preview weekend and I must say, I am completely surpised at the quality of this game, especially the PVP/RVR. I will not be returning to WOW this winter. I'm just loving WAR way too much. <3

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Well this thread went to shit pretty quickly, love it when WoW fanboys come in and just forget about everything that's ever been wrong in WoW.

Twig

Banned
The only big problem I have with WAR is the constant crashing.

Ten times yesterday. Ten times.

I have a bunch of tiny complaints, but I'll either get used to them (like I did with WoW) or they'll be fixed (like they were with WoW).

EDIT: Wait. Crafting sucks giant donkey ass. That's my other big complaint. Good thing it's not really necessary to enjoy the best part about WAR -- the PvP.

Ikuu said:
Well this thread went to shit pretty quickly, love it when WoW fanboys come in and just forget about everything that's ever been wrong in WoW.

yup, Wow fanboys are the worst.

But hey , those Age of Conan fanboys arent here yet... oh wait :lol

Mashing

Meh, it's PVP focus is a huge turnoff for me. I'm going to stick with LOTRO and from what I hear about the Mines of Moria beta, that game is going to get so much better after it releases.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
SuperAndroid17 said:
yup, Wow fanboys are the worst.

But hey , those Age of Conan fanboys arent here yet... oh wait :lol
I was what you would call an AoC fanboy because I did enjoy the game, but after playing the WAR closed BETA, I inmediately realized that WAR would take over my soul, and it did. The game is awesome, and hopefully it doesn't lose population. I plan on enjoying the game for a long time.

DrDogg

thetrin said:
You like sitting around for hours looking for a party? You must have a very boring life.

Such an ignorant and unwarranted comment. Staple GAF.

Out of the two+ years I've played FFXI I rarely sit around looking for parties. I usually either make my own, level high demand jobs or craft while I lfg.

Trax416 said:
WAR is by far the most polished MMO I have ever played at launch, and outside of a couple crashes, it was the smoothest launch I have seen next to DAOC.

Yes there are some bugs, but that happens with all MMORPGs.

The fact you say it's average is funny. What isn't average, WoW? When wow came out servers crashed daily, there was no pvp system, no caster itemization, no end game PVE or PVP, Mara wasn't in the game, you couldn't loot without suffering for a half hour, zones weren't finished, classes were unbalanced, Hunter pets were completely broken, and dozens of things were left out from Beta. "Siege Weapons, and Hero classes", which were on the horizon when the game launched, and promised in beta to come with the original game, are finally being added in 4 years later. Sadly, the Siege weapons are garbage and there is only 1 hero class.

WAR is by far the best PVP MMO on the market. There is no point in playing any other MMORPG in the world, if you like PVP. Period. There is no argument to this.

The leveling PVE in WAR is also better then what you get in WoW. It's the end game PVE that can't compare, but they weren't going for End game PVE. I suggest checking out the instanced PQ's you get while leveling up, or all of the amazing Tome Unlocks, the Public quests, and vanilla quests as well. They have a fantastic quest tracking system, and you are rewarded for exploring, by unlocking pocket items and trophies.

PQ's and the Tome of Knowledge are by far the best things to happen to MMO's this generation. When I think of playing MMORPG's from now on, I could not imagine doing it without a Tome of knowledge.

Now I can only hope game designers who make the next generation of MMORPG's don't drop the ball with this mechanic. Much like the incredible crafting and community system in SWG, which I felt should have won bag loads of awards (to bad the rest of the game was fucked), was tossed aside.

Stop comparing war to a four year old game. Better yet, stop bringing up WoW at all. It just makes you look silly with all the insane remarks about both games.

Darklord

Banned
Xiaoki said:
Yes there is.
EVE yo.

Yeah, having to train for about 4 months before even starting to think about PVP then go out and get killed by a guy who has been playing it longer than you which makes it impossible to match his skill level. Awesome.

Son of Godzilla said:
Stop comparing war to a four year old game. Better yet, stop bringing up WoW at all. It just makes you look silly with all the insane remarks about both games.

The game has clearly taken a lot of things off WoW. Comparing it is fair.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
So basically let me get this straight, All the people really dissing the game are the Fanboys off other MMO's. The people that are playing the game see it's faults are things that can be worked on since it's mostly the Pve stuff but like the game. The people playing this game for the Rvr/pvp love the freaking game *Me* Yes shit can be worked on it's being worked on come on guys this fucking MMO has just been out for almost 2 weeks. People don't seem to recall other MMO's launches cause the fucking sucked for the fist few weeks at least here I am playing the game and bitching about it, not just bitching about it and not playing it!

Twig

Banned
Darklord said:
Yeah, having to train for about 4 months before even starting to think about PVP then go out and get killed by a guy who has been playing it longer than you which makes it impossible to match his skill level. Awesome.
YOU SHUT YOUR DIRTY WHORE MOUTH. EVE > *

(I'm not even going to bother addressing the flaws in your logic -- you've clearly not put four months into the game or you'd know that's quite simply untrue.)
The game has clearly taken a lot of things off WoW. Comparing it is fair.
And WoW clearly takes a lot of things from every other MMO before it, yet people grade it on its own merits, for some reason. Why? Oh, yeah, because of what it does that's unique.

Why can't we do the same for WAR?

Oh, right. 'Cause WoW was like the first MMO or some shit, right.

sca2511

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Is there a demo/trial somewhere?

I bought a computer last summer and I'm not sure if I can run it. I figure if the demo works, then I'm fine.
if you check out a local lan center, there may be a promotion to try warhammer for 7 days. I got mine at a local euPhnet lan, but the problem is how are you going to play at home when there is no downloadable client anywhere.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
TheOneGuy said:

(I'm not even going to bother addressing the flaws in your logic -- you've clearly not put four months into the game or you'd know that's quite simply untrue.)

And WoW clearly takes a lot of things from every other MMO before it, yet people grade it on its own merits, for some reason. Why? Oh, yeah, because of what it does that's unique.

Yeah you can't say shit about wow man because for some reason it was the first MMO to do everything!!!!!!!!! :lol

Jibber Hack said:
Do you enjoy being wrong?

http://pc.ign.com/articles/569/569832p1.html

December 1, 2004 - World of Warcraft is selling well. Very well, according to Blizzard, which announced today that the ambitious MMORPG title is already the fastest-selling PC game ever in North America.

Blizzard's internal numbers and reports from various national retailers, including EB Games, Wal-Mart, and GameStop, show that at least 240,000 eager gamers grabbed World of Warcraft on November 23. Blizzard reports this means the game sold more in its first 24 hours than any other PC title has, ever.

World of Warcraft also broke records in account creation and concurrent players. More than 200,000 players created accounts during the first day. By 5:00 p.m. PST, more than 100,000 were playing the game concurrently. Blizzard points out that these numbers make World of Warcraft the fastest-growing MMORPG yet.

I'm really happy to see the numbers. I hope going through the holiday season we'll see the other million copies come off of store shelves. We really need to fill up those PQs people!

Just so you know, that's the last thing they mentioned about subscribers until Dec the next year, when they hit 5 million.

Sax Russel said:
Just so you know, that's the last thing they mentioned about subscribers until Dec the next year, when they hit 5 million.

Nope. They mentioned it on:

March 17, 2005 -

Irvine, Calif. - March 17, 2005 - Blizzard Entertainment® today announced that World of Warcraft®, its massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG), has surpassed the 1.5 million subscriber mark*, underscoring the game's continued success around the world. Building on its record-breaking debuts in North America, Korea, and Europe, World of Warcraft has reached global peak concurrency - the number of subscribers playing at the same time in each market - of more than 500,000 players.

http://www.gamershell.com/companies/blizzard_entertainment/219363.html

June 14, 2005 -

IRVINE, California 14 June, 2005 Blizzard Entertainment® today announced that World of Warcraft®, the company's highly acclaimed subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG), has surpassed two million paying subscribers worldwide*. As the game's worldwide population continues to grow, so does the game itself: Blizzard recently introduced the highly anticipated player-vs.-player (PvP) Honor System and the game's first two Battlegrounds, Alterac Valley and Warsong Gulch. These new PvP battlefields offer a variety of fast-paced combat and some of the most valuable rewards yet seen in the game.

http://www.gamershell.com/companies/blizzard_entertainment/238099.html

July 20, 2005 -

IRVINE, CA July 20, 2005 Blizzard Entertainment®, Inc. today announced that World of Warcraft®, its subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG), has surpassed 1.5 million paying customers in China just a month following the game's commercial launch on June 7, 2005. The critically acclaimed World of Warcraft has now achieved another significant milestone as the largest MMORPG in the world, with more than 3.5 million global customers.

http://www.gamershell.com/companies/blizzard_entertainment/242090.html

Blackface

Banned
Xiaoki said:

Is this a joke? Can anyone take you seriously? WAR's entire end game, PVP, leveling system and extra's are different then World of Warcrafts. The only similarities the games have are ones that are in all MMO's, such as having a MAP, or a quest log. Things WoW did not create.

This is one of the big complaints in Warhammer. The itemization is absolutely terrible.

Itemization is fine at 40, and needs work while you level. However, using toughness as an example for a Bright Wizard, when you will actually be stacking it along with a few other defensive stats(at 40) is hilarious. However, it does not compare to the broken itemization in WoW. Such as having NO gear for most classes. Having no ways for casters spells to scale. There was no spell damage, only spell crit. Hunters were running around in SM gear that at STR on it, because there was no such thing as gear for Hunters at that time that didn't have Agility and spirit.

I played World of Warcraft for four years. My clan, along with After Life and Fires of Heaven, were some of the first invited to closed beta. I just recently stopped playing WoW 1 month ago. I don't hate WoW, I am just not going to sit here and lie about it like you are to attempt to justify the game I play. World of Warcraft is great for many reasons, however it was broken, and horrible at launch. The only reason people even played it was because it was a giant step up in terms of visuals and casual play compared to EQ. If you took EQ, and gave it the animation and graphic polish WoW had, EQ would be a better hardcore PVE game.

Yes there is.
EVE yo.

It's a completely different style of game, isn't fantasy, and still I would put DAOC ahead of it.

I don't understand how this is a bad thing. It makes leveling fast and efficient. The zones in WAR are also much larger then in WoW, and offer far more then "go kill 10 bats", which happen to inhabit the entire zone. There is also more to WAR's PVE then questing. Have you done any of the instanced PQ's? City boss raids? Normal PQ's? Exploring and unlocking things in your Tome of Knowldge? The possibilities in WAR are endless, and when you think more will be added with each content patch, you will be hard pressed to get through it all.

In WoW, you do the same quests for 70 levels. With a Quest system that is not out dated. You attempt to find groups for instances, which is almost impossible on most servers unless you have friends willing to go. Once you are 70, you do a dumbed down easy mode version of raiding, even compared to Pre BC wow. You get free epic loot and sit around looking pretty waiting for Blizzard to put in more content. Or you can take part in the same BG"s that have existed for years, with the only new one being added a joke, and whoever designed it should be fired.

There is a reason WoW is copying WAR and making a gimped version of the Tome of Knowledge, and changing WOTLK beta's PVP zone, to mirrior one in WAR almost exactly, except it's far worse, and a 10 minute zerg for a 2 hour capture. :lol

PQ's are great. How can you have only seen two finished? I have over 100,000 in influence. Every PQ i go to on Skull Throne is being completed by various people. I have done up to Chapter 14 and every time each PQ has a good amount of people doing it. I did Gunbad, which had entire warbads participating. It's clear you played the game to level 15 at most.

The other big complaints I've seen are:

Crafting has potential. Cultivation is really cool. If they stick with the Dynamic idea, they will see a lot of people love it, much like people loved SWG's crafting system, though that was a game in itself and alone was more innovative then anything WoW or WAR has ever done.

Crafting isn't finished, but it has more potential then picking up a static pattern, using static mats, and making a static item. While having 90 percent of items you make being useless like in WoW. Going from SWG to WoW in terms of crafting, was watching The god father, then putting on teletubies.

Darklord

Banned
TheOneGuy said:

I couldn't stand 4 months of grinding. That game is fucking woeful and this is coming from a huge sci-fi fan. Yay! Only 58 days left until I complete myt skills...what can I do in the mean time? Oh right, do the same mission over and over and over or kill rats for bounty or shoot an ateroid belt with a mining laser then jump 28 systems to sell the goods...no thanks.

Yeah this is way off topic, sorry. Back on now!

So? WoW took the basic MMO design and made it a lot better hten made it even better while adding new things. WAR took WoW's design and tryed adding a bit of it's own. Most things in that game that I've heard people talk about are in WoW. Even the classes are very much alike. I personally haven't played it but everyone I know and impressions from sites say the same thing.

Elbrain said:
So basically let me get this straight, All the people really dissing the game are the Fanboys off other MMO's. The people that are playing the game see it's faults are things that can be worked on since it's mostly the Pve stuff but like the game.

The biggest issue in this game is the pop inbalance, and it's potentially a killer.

Trax416 said:

Argument: EVE Online?

Edit: Beaten to the punch, I just skimmed the last several posts :lol

Edit 2: I would like to try this game, I hope they put up a trial soon.

J-Rzez

Very good first week numbers.

But I have to agree with others. It'll be how it holds up at the 2nd-3rd month mark that tells the future of the game.

M.J. Doja

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Very good first week numbers.

But I have to agree with others. It'll be how it holds up at the 2nd-3rd month mark that tells the future of the game.

david_caruso.gif

Top Bottom