• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've given up on Half-Life 3 coming out since years ago, but I hate where it left off

Yazzees

The last thing we ever see happen in the half-life series is
Eli getting throat-tongue-stabbed to death by an alien potato while his daughter watches in horror, chucked away like an animal carcass as Gordon passes out from the sheer sight of it all

Like, come on. What a slap in the face of your fans. That is functionally the end of the series; a Berserk-tier helping of "fuck you, now you're sad and disturbed". As someone who was highly invested in the storyline since first playing HL1 in 2001, the knowledge that I've been sitting on that kind of cliffhanger has been a drag on my mind for pretty much a decade.

Tohsaka

Yeah, it's incredibly shitty. Valve doesn't need the money though obviously, so we'll never know how the Half-Life story ends.

tci

We all hate it. I have moved on years ago. This is never happening. The sooner you realize that the better it is. Valve is a shadow of its former self.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
We all hate it. I have moved on years ago. This is never happening. The sooner you realize that the better it is. Valve is a shadow of its former self.

isn't your avatar from Half-Life?

1psse2.jpg

I know they don't owe us, as consumers, anything. Also most of the talent behind the Half life series have long since left valve.

But I still wanna be back in that world man. It was awesome. 2 is GOAT tier, 2 episode 1 was very good, 2 episode 2 is elevating GOAT tier to a new level.

spootime

I know they don't owe us, as consumers, anything. Also most of the talent behind the Half life series have long since left valve.

But I still wanna be back in that world man. It was awesome. 2 is GOAT tier, 2 episode 1 was very good, 2 episode 2 is elevating GOAT tier to a new level.

Don't they? If you start a single player, story-driven series the expectation is that you'll finish it if you're able to.

Grisby

I was not prepared for this when I clicked on this thread.

OP, maybe it wasn't meant to be a cliffhanger. Maybe they knew all along.
Sweet Jesus, I forgot how amazing this soundtrack is. My always go to song always has to be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlD5uvOt_Sw
Yeah, the ost is something special. I still don't think any other game has fully replicated half-life's "industrial" sounding score.

When that song starts playing and then you end up on that cross country car ride...goddamn I miss Half-Life. I sent that gnome to the moon.

I agree, makes it even worse now that it looks like they aren't going to finish it.

At this point, I feel the conclusion can't live up to peoples expectations.

Seems like it could be a little better than the ending for episode 2. :p

Is there a consensus/non-jokingly explanation as to why this game hasn't been made?

I think all of the original writers have since left Valve, the last was super recent. Their focus seems to be on the store, CS:GO and DotA.

At this point it's more probable that we'll see a Half Life 2: Episode 3 by the Crowbar Collective released within the next 15 years.

Atomski

When people cry for more of a game I always think yeah I wouldn't mind playing more of that.

When people are crying because of the story not ending though.. ugh the story wasn't that good to begin with. It's ok I guess but it never was the main appeal at all to me. The gun play and atomsphere were great.. but the story just seemed generic scifi.

Same with Shenmue.. you are not missing out on an amazing story.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

I would disagree. They made promises with the episodic nature they moved to. I thinks fans who bought into that episodic story are owed an ending to the narrative.

Hell, give us a book to read.

It's fine if they don't want to make more games but if that's true at least close out the story with a comic book or something. I'd take bullet points on a forum post at this point.

I wouldn't want Half Life 3 without a new engine anyways so I'm glad it hasn't released yet. If and when Half Life 3 becomes a thing, it's going to be a technical showcase and it's going to be the base for another decade of mods. They know Half Life isn't "just a product". I get the impression they just don't know what to do. We have fantastic facial animation work, we have massive open worlds, we have photogrammetry, we have intuitive tools that basically anyone can pick up. What can Half-Life 3 do that will blow people away? Honestly I don't know and I've thought about this quite extensively. VR maybe? But Zenimax' offerings with DOOM/Fallout are impressive from what I've heard so they might not even have that in a couple months.

Problem is, Source 2 is taking WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long and they've lost a lot of the talent behind Half Life 1/2 now. Hopefully they figured things out while they had everyone together.

I wish the next journalist would ask Gabe not whether it's coming out, but whether he feels shitty for having strung fans along so long. I wish Gabe would just apologize instead of acting so damn coy.

Maximo

I also gave up but people seem to be unable to do the same and feel compelled to bring it up every few weeks.

tci

I wish the next journalist would ask Gabe not whether it's coming out, but whether he feels shitty for having strung fans along so long. I wish Gabe would just apologize instead of acting so damn coy.
The gaming press don't care about them anymore. After Ep 2. Dough Lombardi went under ground and have almost not been heard of since. A guy that was in interviews almost weekly during Ep1-2.

Zomba13

Is there a consensus/non-jokingly explanation as to why this game hasn't been made?

They make enough money with Dota hats and CS:GO hats and their share from Steam to even bother making a single-player game ever again. I'm sure if they could they would make Half-Life 3 a multiplayer game with hats but they know no one will ever go for that after Episode 2.

I think the reason valve doesnt make these game anymore is because of the time and resources required to make big single player set piece games, its simply more profitable for them now to make smaller mp focused with a sustainable in game transaction economy, plus they roll everything into steam now, thats where their focus lies, so yes it sucks alot. But honestly, just come up with your own head cannon, its not ideal, but hey it ends on your own terms

Surfinn

It's hard to imagine that it ever continues. But it's also weird that they haven't outright come out and said it's not happening.

Radio silence for pretty much ten full years. If it's not getting made they've got a hell of a way of saying it.

This isn't some random fan hope. The series is dead in the water with a CLIFFHANGER ending, and a promised third episode to conclude the arc.

Either way, I'll never forgive Valve for treating their oldest and most loyal fanbase like they don't matter.

tci

It's hard to imagine that it ever continues. But it's also weird that they haven't outright come out and said it's not happening.

Radio silence for pretty much ten full years. If it's not getting made they've got a hell of a way of saying it.

This isn't some random fan hope. The series is dead in the water with a CLIFFHANGER ending, and a promised third episode to conclude the arc.

Either way, I'll never forgive Valve for treating their oldest and most loyal fanbase like they don't matter.
I am pretty much at that point myself. They have gone from being my favorite developer to not even being relevant anymore. Valve don't care about their HL fans at all.

Top Bottom