• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've given up on Half-Life 3 coming out since years ago, but I hate where it left off

Gabe is George Lucas, Valve is Lucas Arts and Arcane is JJ Abrams just waiting for someone to hand him the reigns.

Save us JJ Abrams (Arcane), you're our only hope.

*The screen fades in on an onimous shot of Gordon looking out onto the remains of Black Mesa*
"It's time for the Half-Life to end." - Gordon Freeman
*Cue dramatic music*

Really?. The story is the last thing I care about let alone what happened to that girl's father. I just want a game to give me the same sense of place and journey that Half-Life 2 did. You could throw all the characters in the trash as far as I'm concerned.

Probably the biggest fuck up in gaming ever.

Valve were on top of the world and they chose not to continue down that path. Fucking morons.

Valve loves writing comics to explore lore

If they aren't going to make HL3, they could at least make a longish comic concluding the story

This would tie up the loose ends and let them start a fresh story for the series if they ever brought it back.

Ahasverus

Just give the story to Arkane and let them go crazy. That's all they need to do really, put out the money and wait for other studio to "suffer" through development and then get all the money.

Surfinn

Just give the story to Arkane and let them go crazy. That's all they need to do really, put out the money and wait for other studio to "suffer" through development and then get all the money.
I think the fact that something like this HASN'T happened in ten years goes to show you that they do still care about HL in some way and want the possibility on the table to do it themselves.

bosseye

I don't see HL3 ever happening. A real shame, it was one of my favourite series, HL2 is probably my favourite game. The impact it had on me (and the original) is immense.

They've absolutely got the funds to make it, they've got the time and no deadlines other than self imposed and you know they can hire the talent to make it happen; so the assumption is Gabe or whoever at the top simply does not want to.

dh4niel

I was replaying the series up until recently and it is still really shitty. It still is a great series of games.

I don't think we'll ever get another Half-Life game but we could get another game that's part of that universe in the same way that Portal is.

I can't wait till whenever in the future in 10 years or so and we finally find out why Half Life 3 never got made (assuming it doesn't, which it won't) Bet its some stupid reason.

horkrux

I think the reason why something like this HASN'T happened in ten years goes to show you that they do still care about HL in some way and want the possibility on the table to do it themselves.

Not really. IPs are precious and there are so many companies willing to sit on them forever without making new titles. We would never say about them that they do this because they care, because quite frankly they really don't.

Never say never.

a78e6Hj.png

:)

angelic

Banned
Its easy to imagine the end of the story really, it would have most likely ended with gordon slaying some advisors, maybe even something big like the nihalanth, and being put into stasis again. Valve dont do closed endings, so even HL3 wouldnt have closed it. I made my peace years ago.

tl;dr gordon would have gone on another slaying run, alyx would confess she loved him, he would be taken away by the gman. The end.

AdanVC

If Valve doesn't want to finish the half life series properly, they should at least release of what's left of the story in a graphic novel or something.

Surfinn

Not really. IPs are precious and there are so many companies willing to sit on them forever without making new titles. We would never say about them that they do this because they care, because quite frankly they really don't.

I'd say Valve's labor of love that is HL still holds a special place in their hearts, even if their recent history doesn't exactly reflect that. Just because they put it in stasis doesn't mean they don't care. It just means they don't know what to do with it yet and had made shitty decisions over the course of the last ten years.

The game never coming out is part of Valve's mystique now. They will hang on to this forever.
It does seem like they love stringing people along. They could easily clarify why it hasn't or will never happen but instead they pretend there is no issue or desire for the product.

I don't know if it's some misguided attempt at giving the company a certain reputation, they're all stupid or just cunts. Whichever it is they've missed the boat and can't make up for it.

Surfinn

It does seem like they love stringing people along. They could easily clarify why it hasn't or will never happen but instead they pretend there is no issue or desire for the product.

I don't know if it's some misguided attempt at giving the company a certain reputation, they're all stupid or just cunts. Whichever it is they've missed the boat and can't make up for it.

If they made a great sequel and it were revealed at E3 and released in Oct./Nov, it would still sell like crazy. Hell, even if it WASN'T great it would still sell based on the name alone. All they'd have to do is put up a crowbar on Steam and open up preorders. That alone would break their sales records

Though trying to continue the story that left on a cliffhanger.. over a decade later.. is sort of a sticky situation to say the least.

If they made a great sequel and it were revealed at E3 and released in Oct./Nov, it would still sell like crazy. Hell, even if it WASN'T great it would still sell based on the name alone. All they'd have to do is put up a crowbar on Steam and open up preorders.

Though trying to continue the story that left on a cliffhanger.. over a decade later.. is sort of a sticky situation to say the least.
Still wouldn't make up for the terrible way they've handled the situation for 10 years.

Treated their fans who have made them like shit.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't think Half-Life's story could be adequately expressed in any medium other than what Valve accomplished, mainly because I personally don't feel the narrative itself is all that thrilling so much as its expression, namely the set pieces and narrative beats it takes you through via play. Half-Life's narrative density comes from the worldbuilding, environmental storytelling, signature cast, and the combined working towards an thematically distinct and and evocative mood.

I don't want to read or watch the end of Half-Life, I want to see the events unfold before me as I am a partial passenger to them, and at times influencer. I want to scrawl over contextual aesthetic cues and scattered background audio, context formed after the fact and disjointed yet wholly relevant to the narrative as a whole. I want to play the journey Freeman has embarked on, seeing what he sees and knowing that what I know is all he knows. Even in a narrative that's pretty contrived of standard science fiction tropes it's the journey that works so well with Half-Life, and not experiencing that journey and its many deliberate mysteries and plot thread baiting just wouldn't be a Half-Life worth reading or watching.

But it'll never happen. Valve and the Half-Life fanbase are caught in a rock and a hard place. Reality is Valve are under no obligation to make more Half-Life. Nobody purchased a season pass, so there's no outright financial investment. I firmly believe the strongest creative works are made with passion, and Valve has no coherent direction for the Half-Life franchise backed by a mass of passionate workers (probably just too few) to see the final through. If they don't want to make it, and they don't, it won't happen. On the other hand Valve did construct and market the post-Half-Life 2 chapters as a three part trilogy, left on a loaded cliff hanger, baited a third entry and...we have nothing. The upset and frustration from these fans who aren't entitled to a new game but understandably feel mislead is just as a valid.

It's too little, too late though. I can't imagine any scenario other than Valve burning themselves out collectively with the series, trying new things, and steering the company as a whole and general production interest towards "community" titles and online games. Portal 2 was the last big hurrah for Valve single player games, a break from the Half-Life normality, and there's no sight of anything even similar on the horizon. I don't doubt that there's threads of Valve staff still passionate about Half-Life, but when your work culture encourages large cliques and leadership driven sustainable projects it's easy to have smaller passion projects never gain traction, only to fizzle out and die. Even when they're passion projects based on a monumental franchise. There's no evidence to suggest the people with the most sway and influence at Valve care about seeing a new Half-Life through, and so here we are. The continual talent bleed of predominantly single player experienced developers is the thick plume of smoke form the fire.

Half-Life's dead, baby. At best we'll get kitschy, gimmicky crossover junk in whatever social driven multiplayer game comes out in the future. Make sure to pre-order Left 4 Dead 3 to unlock Gordon's crowbar. And did you see that lambda symbol graffiti? Half-Life confirmed!!!

angelic

Banned
I don't think Half-Life's story could be adequately expressed in any medium other than what Valve accomplished, mainly because I personally don't feel the narrative itself is all that thrilling so much as its expression, namely the set pieces and narrative beats it takes you through via play.

very accurate, half the story comes from poking around environments, not having it told to you. shame, but its dead and valve now suck, as we've all known for years.

MTC100

Banned
The last thing we ever see happen in the half-life series is
Eli getting throat-tongue-stabbed to death by an alien potato while his daughter watches in horror, chucked away like an animal carcass as Gordon passes out from the sheer sight of it all

Like, come on. What a slap in the face of your fans. That is functionally the end of the series; a Berserk-tier helping of "fuck you, now you're sad and disturbed". As someone who was highly invested in the storyline since first playing HL1 in 2001, the knowledge that I've been sitting on that kind of cliffhanger has been a drag on my mind for pretty much a decade.

That's why I told everyone to boycott steam a decade ago, so valve has to release a sequel to make money. Nowadays Gabe just hangs out on his yacht, circling around the moon, with all the money he got through steam. Any hope for a HL3 is lost forever, even though they could make a profit out of it for sure...

It's no big loss though, HL2's story was garbage anyway, as you pointed out quite well in the spoiler...

I gave up back in 2014, up until that year I was still doing yearly walkthroughts of all the games, but one day I just realized that I didn't care about the universe anymore, that I no longer wanted to go back there because I would never have a continuation, so I just stopped playing all the games related to this universe, I even tried to come back recently but I couldn't even reach Ravenholm before I gave up
At this point, I feel the conclusion can't live up to peoples expectations.

It won't, there's absolutely no way it can, but an actual conclusion is better than where they left it

Ahasverus

I'd say Valve's labor of love that is HL still holds a special place in their hearts, even if their recent history doesn't exactly reflect that. Just because they put it in stasis doesn't mean they don't care. It just means they don't know what to do with it yet and had made shitty decisions over the course of the last ten years.
You're fandreaming. Valve doesn't have a "heart", and even if they did, Half Life 3 is just ignored, not "put in a special place".

Has there been ANY solid answer as to why they basically went "fuck it" with the Half-Life franchise? It was financially successful was it not? What gives?

Majukun

the cliffhanger was so nonsensical and done for the hell of hit that it automatically killed my interest for the continuation of the story...but i still was waiting for episode 3 for that sweet-sweet gameplay..but i given up hopes since I understood how Valve works
Has there been ANY solid answer as to why they basically went "fuck it" with the Half-Life franchise? It was financially successful was it not? What gives?

valve works differently from other companies, once you are in it,you can do whatever you want,and you are paid based on how much money you make for the company.
basically,making team fortress hats ,dota items and whatnot ended up being a lot less risky (since it's nowhere as a long term commitment) and a way better way to make money than do half life ep 3..so the project slowed down,became obsolete and got abandoned

and since valve still makes a shitload of money with steam alone, they don't really need to force anyone to work on such an humoungous project

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They could just wrap it up in a Steam sale mini-game.

OMG you bastard. Don't give Valve ideas like that.

LOL well played.

Wait.

Now I want Half-Life 3 (or Episode 3) directed by David Lynch.

What would that be like?

We'd get a trippy story that doesn't resolve HL2: Episode 2 and cliff-hangers itself. So, no thanks.

tci

valve works differently from other companies,basically once you are in it,you can do whatever you want,and you are paid based on how much money you make for the company.
basically,making team fortress hats ,dota items and whatnot ended up being a lot less risky (since it's nowhere as a long term commitment) and a way better way to make money than do half life ep 3..so the project slowed down,became obsolete and got abandoned

and since valve still makes a shitload of money with steam alone, they don't really need to force anyone to work on such an humoungous project
Not only that. Just look what happened with Steam OS, Steam Controller, Steam Machines etc? Not much have happened since it "launched". Valve lacks a proper strategy and vision. I think how they work as a company is actually hurting it more than making it better.

B33

Banned
The cliffhanger will eventually be addressed in a sequel, whenever it happens.

It's just a matter of time.

Surfinn

You're fandreaming. Valve doesn't have a "heart", and even if they did, Half Life 3 is just ignored, not "put in a special place".

I never said it was "put in a special place"; I said I think it still holds a special place in their hearts. Just because it's ignored doesn't mean they're doing it because they don't care about it. They might be waiting for inspiration so they don't just push out a product that they don't want to make.

Either way, it's clear that they don't care enough about fans to at least let them know what's going on.

This was 2 years ago regarding when will they make a new game and touches HL at the end:

When Will Valve Make Another game? (37:56)

Geoff Keighley:
When you look at Gabe mentioning Free-to-Play being the future. I don't mean to paraphrase that but it's what I felt that's obviously where the games are going. I remember where we did the Final Hours of Portal many years ago, you get that quote that we're thinking now every game has to have some kind of community thing and old single-player only games are not where things are going. I think a lot of people wonder Valve as software creator, what kind of experiences do the team's want to build and. And not like this franchise that franchise when valve ships another game product what do you think that looks like? Dota is obviously becoming service but when you think of the next iteration of valve expressing itself artistically like that? Have you starting think about what that looks like in terms the business modeler or what it is?

Gabe Newell:
I think that you can look at Source 2 gives us a bunch opportunities to take advantage of VR. Every game we've shipped we've learned a lot. I think it's kind of straightforward for gamers to extrapolate from what we've done in the past to what we're likely to do in the future. For us everything is building on what we've learned from from previous projects.

Geoff Keighley: So something like Free-to-Play, the idea of a sixty dollar box product in the industry is changing, it's like Valve is for change. Where as there are some people always want Valve to go back and do this which the way I remembered them creating content and distributing content but it sounds to me at least you could take some of those franchises and some of those character and some of those worlds and express them in different ways, which could be really unique and compelling.

Gabe Newell: Yup, absolutely. I think obviously people wanna something likes Team Fortress they'd like to see what we can do with Team Fortress or Left 4 Dead or Half-Life or everything. So what we're trying to do is come up with ways so that we're both, you know we love all those games, we love all those characters and universes and storylines and we have no shortage of have opportunities, we try to be a little bit strategic Okay this is the piece in the puzzle that we can solve with this set of technologies that we've developed and this is the new piece have technology that the we think is going to be generally useful and so this ties up well with this property. If you think it is each one of our franchises represent our tool you to just want to pick up the right tool at the right time. So like Dota 2 is incredibly character rich, there are 110 characters. If you have a problem that involves wanting to work on the aspect of having lots and lots of those strongly realized characteristics then Dota is the right place to do it. Team Fortress represents a tool. When we're thinking what are the next challenge we tend to pick the franchises that are the most useful in going forward. And if we don't have one then obviously we have to create a new one.

Gabe Newell: But you know, you know what I get it. I'm a fan of TV shows I'm a fan of writers. I'm a fan of movies. I'm a fan of games and I certainly understand why people are like hey I remember this awesome experience and I'm starting to get worried that I'm never gonna get to have it again. I'm a fan of Terry Pratchett and he has Alzheimer's and it's like oh my god I may never get another Discworld novel. So we understand it and we feel them. We think at the end of the day customers are going to be really happy with where we spent our time in how we've turned that into entertainment for them. But we are also going to build on what we've learned and we've word a lot. We're not going to go all retro because there are too many interesting things that have been learned. The only reason we go back and do a super classic kind of product is if a whole bunch people internally at Valve wanted to do it and had a reasonable explanation for why it was. If you want to do another Half-Life game and you want to ignore everything we've learned in shipping Portal 2 and in shipping all the updates on the multiplayer side that seems like a bad choice. So we'll keep moving forward but that doesn't necessarily always mean what people are worried that it might mean.

Otherwise they never gave a solid, explicit answer, but implicit it's all been about GaaS, Steam and HW pojects taking priority. If there will be a new HL, they will build it with what they learned since shipping Ep2.

Part of me thinks that this game is still happening. I remember Gabe saying he told the Half-Life 2 crew they needed to make the best game ever made. I imagine that feeling has only intensified for HL3 as the years have dragged on.

And another part of me thinks the game is on ice indefinitely. This makes me kind of mad. They went all in with the Orange Box. They had a plan. Episode 3 was supposed to be out not too long after 2. And then nothing. I'm assuming the scope of the game got so big that they decided it needed to be a full game and it all just got out of hand while they were busy screwing around with other projects.

The thing that's so irritating is that Valve makes a shitload of money every single day. And they know that so many people just want to play Half-Life 3. Yet we've gone several years completely in the dark. It's the secrecy that leads me to believe it's still being worked on but it's also the most irritating thing about Valve.

Surfinn

If Valve just would come out and say that there won't be another Half-Life.

Put this damn thing to rest. Give people some closure.

Yup

That's the very least they SHOULD do. Then if by some miracle they can make it happen, we're all surprised in a good way.

Top Bottom