• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've just discovered The Graham Norton Show and can't stop watching clips

Few things:

The Will Smith Fresh Prince bit is good
The entire recent episode with Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart for Logan, don't look for clips, find a way to watch the whole thing.
Any episode with Joan Rivers
Chris Pratt magic trick

But other than that I can't really fault the show, I could watch clips for hours. His secret is being a lot more charming and fun that a lot of late night hosts and he also plies them with alcohol.

mclem

I think it's the chat show that's got closest to nailing that 'at a dinner party with fun guests' feel. I'd love to see how this format would have worked with some of the great raconteurs of the past, actually.

It's been interesting to chart how Norton got there, actually; first chatty thing he did was just as a stand-in on Channel 5's Jack Docherty show while Jack was away for family stuff. Then you've got So Graham Norton, late night on Channel 4 which was great but a lot smuttier, probably a bit jarring if you've seen his more recent cleaner work only. That evolved into V Graham Norton, basically the same but daily. An attempt to break into the US didn't really work, and then the BBC gave him a great contract... and didn't really have a clue what to do with him (I do remember some news stories in the past about them desperately trying to find a sustainable format for him), with the best success coming from compering a couple of musical theatre talent shows, but then started a fledgling smaller chat show on BBC2, while Jonathan Ross had the 'main' show on BBC1. But then, there was a bit of a Daily Mail driven furore, which led to Ross being off the air for a bit, which meant that Norton's show became - for a while - the de facto 'place to go to plug your stuff' and later Ross moved to ITV, and - after a bit of a relaunch - Norton moved onto 1 with a revamped version of his BBC2 show, and that's been a huge, huge success.

So I guess in a sense it's the luck of the Irish - two big breaks came about due to replacing others! I sometimes wonder if Jack Docherty wonders what might have been...

Sevenfold

Grahams secret: Liquor up the guests.

Which, as genius as it is and perfect for the format, isn't a secret at all because he actively encourages it, references it and partakes with gusto. Great TV.

Also. Nope, not doing it. I know how long this tunnel is and it's my last day off. Not today no...

DBT85

Stewart telling his foreskin story was hilarious lol.

Great show. They are there to promote things but actually look like they are enjoying themselves with the shit they get up to.

Should watch the episodes of Father Ted he is on too if you can.

Yes, give Graham Norton a script and point him at a camera and he's very good.

I'm not a fan of the chat show format, it reminds me of being a child at a special occasion, when every adult around thinks they're a scream. I don't need to know that even Tom Hiddleston does a boring Uncle at a Wedding act.

GlamFM

Banned
It´s fantastic. I know of no other host who manages to get a couch full of super-mega-stars to feel so comfortable that thy become "real".

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Graham Norton is like a strange hybrid of celebrity talk show and panel show, which is probably why it's less insufferable than all the celebrity segments on American talk shows.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Matt Damon crying tears of laughter whilst confessing to Graham that he's having the best time he's ever had on a chat show forever remains this show's greatest triumph.

The episodes with Fassbender, Jackman and McAvoy are also great.

forreal. everytime mcavoy is on with an xmen member (anybody) its so good. they're such bros. those 3 in particular were great on here.

also the episode with Matt Damon, Bill Murray and Bonneville was GOAT.

also drunk Mark Wahlberg making a total ass of himself was hilarious.

edit: man hiddleston's deniro was trash lmao. can't believe he tried it in front of the dude.

Meadows

Banned
He's really good at what he does, under-rated presenter. I love(d?) his Eurovision coverage. It's so tough to follow what Terry Wogan did on that, but he made it even better.

e_rxbw5siw4.jpg

1488143764903.jpg

Jesus, how long is this show?!

My sister in law's husband was in the red chair, was cool.

Well, the segment where they interview random people from around London. I don't watch the show.

Brilliant show, which seems to work so well because he encourages the guests to just have fun and be themselves, which leads to the signature unscripted hilarity

The red chair segments with some of the Celebs are great, Will Smith doing the Carlton Dance with Carlton was amazing (shame Jaden was there) and just about everything with Sir Patrick is fabulous

Maledict

Hah! I'd heard the Americans liked these kinds of shows because there's nothing like them in the U.S. I guess it's true.

It's a unique format with a brilliant host that dares to do stuff American shows don't do. Especially the earlier episodes - it was *amazing* watching American guests come on, thinking it was a normal talk show, and then being utterly stunned when Norton started talking and bringing in internet stuff and fans.

Two noterable stars who weren't fazed - Carrie fisher, who ended up being a regular, just fitted in naturally brilliantly. And strangely Cher, who had clearly watched the show, knew what she was getting in for, and went for it with gusto.

Nowadays obviously its on BB1 and everyone knows what they are in store for (and its a bit toned down), but the interviews are still fantastic TV. The episode where Ian McEllan surprises Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman as a guest is just amazing television.

fwoibles

The two full episodes of either Joan Rivers/Jeremy Clarkson/James May or Will.I.Am/Miriam Margolies/Greg Davies are my absolute favourite and saved on every portable device I have.

Haven't watched any newer ones but will do so in the near future. Great show.

mclem

Joan Rivers/Jeremy Clarkson/James May or Will.I.Am/Miriam Margolies/Greg Davies

Oh, that's the other thing I utterly love: the sheer oddness of the guest mix at some points. And it works!

Jumeira

Banned
Yeah, more recently the Logan interview was amazing. Great talk show.

I do think Jonathan Ross is still the best, he's a comedic genius.

firelogic

Robbie Williams.

There are 2 absolutely hysterical ones from him. Look them up

One is with Daniel Radcliffe and the other with Emma Thompson.

Ohhh and Kate beckinsale explaining one of her many pranks.

That episode of Kate Beckinsale was so funny! If you only watched her movies or saw her in magazine shots you'd think she was a very posh and uppity kind of woman but in reality she's so down to earth and weird and funny! I don't know if these constitute spoiler tags but I'll tag them anyway. Her stories about
dressing up in a horse costume and walking around hotel hallways to relieve stress. How she makes penises out of fruit and leaves them in front of her friend's doors in hotels. How she takes pictures of penises made out of fruit and sends them to people like her daughter. How she sticks chocolate up her boyfriend's butt. How she sent a photoshopped pic of her in a gangbang to her mother.
She's the best!

zeemumu

That episode of Kate Beckinsale was so funny! If you only watched her movies or saw her in magazine shots you'd think she was a very posh and uppity kind of woman but in reality she's so down to earth and weird and funny! I don't know if these constitute spoiler tags but I'll tag them anyway. Her stories about
dressing up in a horse costume and walking around hotel hallways to relieve stress. How she makes penises out of fruit and leaves them in front of her friend's doors in hotels. How she takes pictures of penises made out of fruit and sends them to people like her daughter. How she sticks chocolate up her boyfriend's butt. How she sent a photoshopped pic of her in a gangbang to her mother.
She's the best!

I remember a few of these.

Top Bottom