• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata to become Nintendo of America CEO, NoA CEO promoted to NCL Managing Director

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaulerX

This is akin to being drunk, then drinking another beer or shot in the hopes that it'll balance things out.

You want me fired ? It's not even my final form.

We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says, "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." - Robert Oppenheimer

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
*blows dust off ancient tomb, stamped with the symbol N*

"One pillar in the East, where the rising sun doth fall.
Another pillar to the West, entrenched in duty's call.
A final pillar from the North, deep within a golden hall.

Three corners if the globe inspire, direct to all alight a fire.
As he who possesses all the pillars, controls the world entire."

Its not like NoA is competant as is. This is a good move sure Iwata can do better than whats currently happening

Well isn't what's currently happening because of the constraints NOJ has put on NOA to begin with? I get the impressive that Howard Lincoln had a lot more control at NOA because Yamauchi allowed it. That was a good thing overall for the company.

I am not completely doubting Iwata as a business man, I think he has made some mistakes at Nintendo already, but he seems to be quick at fixing though mistakes.... so far. I don't know if Iwata playing the role of Steve Jobs at Nintendo is going to be a good thing, but we will just have to watch and see what happens.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
This is either the best move or the worst move.

Also people expecting him to resign must be furious.

Iwata: Resign as CEO? How about I become CEO of NoA in addition? (laughs)

NOA's basically being given a window seat and a pat on the head.

No clue if this is good news or not. I thought that part of the problem with Nintendo of America was that they didn't have enough independence from NoJ when it came to big decisions such as marketing? Wouldn't Iwata being the new CEO of the NoA branch just make that an even bigger problem?

Soriku

*blows dust of ancient tomb, stamped with the symbol N*

He's not CEO of NoE...yet? Satoru gon get Satoru lol.

Pikma

Banned
*blows dust of ancient tomb, stamped with the symbol N*

Hahahaha beautiful.

Well isn't what's currently happening because of the constraints NOJ has put on NOA to begin with? I get the impressive that Howard Lincoln had a lot more control at NOA because Yamauchi allowed it. That was a good thing overall for the company.

I am not completely doubting Iwata as a business man, I think he has made some mistakes at Nintendo already, but he seems to be quick at fixing though mistakes.... so far. I don't know if Iwata playing the role of Steve Jobs at Nintendo is going to be a good thing, but we will just have to watch and see what happens.
Yea well with Iwata at ceo doesnt it seem more likely that there will be less constraints? This is the good news I believe

*blows dust off ancient tomb, stamped with the symbol N*

Brilliant !!!

Tookay

So Iwata's CEO of Nintendo, NCL and NOA? How the hell is that gonna work?

Better watch your back Shibata. Iwata is taking over the world.

Well "Nintendo" is "NCL" (Nintendo Co., Ltd). NOA is just the American subsidiary.

As for "how this works," it seems like it's just cutting out the middleman, but it's kind of impossible to tell because we don't have a clear grasp on what the previous CEO Kimishima was doing.

Muku

HDdHa.gif

Yeeeeeeessss. Iwata is taking over the world. Now Iwata-san, please bring MOAR colors out for NA for the 3DS. Our choices are horrible versus what I see on store shelves here.

EDIT: And for the love of god, fix Nintendo's relationship with Amazon US.

monome

Its pretty funny that a ton of people on GAF want him fired and his role ends up expanding.

Iwata is the soundest gaming CEO I've ever heard from.

that said nintendo is ruining 20 years of "godlike" gaming status, mosty due the hardships of having to ship in millions products that were 20 years ago restricted to kids and wanna be devs.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Iwata is going to take on a whole long list of jobs that it'll take half of Nintendo's E3 conference just rattle them off when they invite him on to the stage.

Well, that's surprising.

If this would get localizations and products that would otherwise not be available in America, I'm all for it.

This is... unexpected.

If this means bringing NoA in to NCL, giving it autonomy in terms of seeking collaborations and generally making it a part of the process, that's good.

If it's just more smothering of NoA, then nothing changes.

Busty

Banned
This just smacks of Iwata circling the wagons and consolidating his power while he still can.

Others could suggest that Nintendo are just giving him enough rope to hang himself.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
This is... unexpected.

If this means bringing NoA in to NCL, giving it autonomy in terms of seeking collaborations and generally making it a part of the process, that's good.

If it's just more smothering of NoA, then nothing changes.

I think it's just streamlining things, not really much movement in either direction but Reggie seems to be the one who's left to run NoA in America since both the former NoA CEO and Iwata will be at HQ in Japan.

etrain911

This is a great day to join the 3DS masterrace! I found a brand new 3DS XL on craigslist for $125 an hour ago! Hopefully, Iwata tries to bring some of dem NOE deals over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom