• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata: "We just don't care what other companies are doing"

sublimit

Banned
tumblr_mob97xkIml1qgukeno1_400.gif

I'm not sure it will work out this time, with the PS4 and Xbone around the corner. You can only put your head in the sand for so long, sooner or later things will catch up. Especially in this industry, where there has been huge changes these past five years. I wonder what the holiday season sales will bring.

And as somebody pointed out if The Last Of Us can be seen as a 'sony' game. Bayonetta and Wonderful 101 can certainly been seen as Nintendo ones.

Bad example there as Naughty Dog is fully-owned by Sony while Platinum is independent. Gears of War would be a better example as it's developed by a third party but is considered to be a Microsoft franchise.

Darryl

Banned
Bad example there as Naughty Dog is fully-owned by Sony while Platinum is independent. Gears of War would be a better example as it's developed by a third party but is considered to be a Microsoft franchise.

What about LittleBigPlanet, was it a Sony game? That was a funded game from an independent studio.

monome

Iwata is great.

he filled Nintendo's bank accounts with Wii and DS.

and WiiU and 3DS are worth their prices on 1st party games alone.

Miiplaza and Streetpass are genius "online" ideas.

it's not like NES and Super Nintendo did not happen. they did. but time has gone, and things have changed.

Ushae

Banned
Nintendo gona Nintendo.

Keep the systems differnet, stimulate competition. Part of me wants the Wii U to secretly reboot to a HD version that gives the other 2 platforms a run for their money, so sad to see what Ninty have done with the Wii U launch, they just need the damn games out there ASAP.

Darryl

Banned
They bought out Media Molecule very soon after that so maybe not at the time.

Why is this important again?

i think it has to do with people discounting some of nintendo's software development moves as inauthentic or not real just because the title of the development studio isn't "nintendo", which is extremely misleading because outsourced work can share the vision of the funding company just like a real first-party game - like in Luigi's Mansion 2 or LittleBigPlanet. both games are filled full of influence from their funding studio because funding studios don't fund games without getting involved themselves. however many people refuse to think about the situation in any more complex terms than which developer label is slapped onto the end product.

so that leads to the perception that Nintendo refuses to take risks with their software and just does the same thing over and over again. which relates to the OP somehow, i think, because people are under the impression that other studios are taking more risks just because they have less established brands. i can't say i fully understand the thought process behind some of these posters.

Teletraan1

Banned
That's reaaaaaaally splitting hairs. Like, how many companies could you then apply that to? Guess Destiny isn't a new IP either. It's a Halo game! Guess Quake wasn't either. It's pretty much Doom.

"There are some really good new IPs on the eShop"

"Doesn't count, they're just eShop games."

"There are some new IPs from Platinum and Monolith Soft"

"They're too much like their old new IPs, doesn't count"

"Iwata sacrificed his firstborn, did a voodoo ritual, and single-handedly swam to the USA and took the CEO of Rockstar hostage to make a new GTA game exclusively for the Wii U"

"It'll come to the PS4/XBOne eventually, doesn't count"

Holy meltdown. Now I remember why I generally stay out of Nintendo threads.

Sendou

i think it has to do with people discounting some of nintendo's software development moves as inauthentic or not real just because the title of the development studio isn't "nintendo", which is extremely misleading because outsourced work can share the vision of the funding company just like a real first-party game - like in Luigi's Mansion 2 or LittleBigPlanet. both games are filled full of influence from their funding studio because funding studios don't fund games without getting involved themselves. however many people refuse to think about the situation in any more complex terms than which developer label is slapped onto the end product.

so that leads to the perception that Nintendo refuses to take risks with their software and just does the same thing over and over again. which relates to the OP somehow, i think, because people are under the impression that other studios are taking more risks just because they have less established brands. i can't say i fully understand the thought process behind some of these posters.

I completely agree.

People should look at where a company spends their money. Wonderful 101, Steel Driver, Dillion and Sakura Samurai are all new IP's made by 3rd parties with Nintendo's money. That's the important part. Mario games sell and Nintendo has to have their core teams developing them because a certain level of quality has to be met with those titles. That doesn't mean that no Nintendo money goes towards funding new and experimental games (comptely disregarding the fact that even "familiar" Nintendo games have lots of experimental aspects in them). Nintendo is a software driven company that tends to innovate there.

Not sure if any one made reference to Nokia here?

Nokia used to rule the mobile phone world, the then new CEO did not give a damn about competition. Even when iPhone launched.

Look at Nokia now.

Please understand, Mr iwata

Nokia is Nokia. Bad comparision. Nintendo has always operated like this. Nokia got cocky and thought they could dictate how the market operates.

The impression I get is that people aren't suggesting Nintendo are worse than anybody else, just that they're guilty of the exact same conservatism of the rest of the AAA video game industry.

Sendou

Which is totally not what the Nintendo is trying to do right here now...

No, it's the exact opposite. Nintendo is trying to do their own thing including improving the customer base to their favor and making products that don't directly compete with other consoles. They don't try to deny or repress their competition. They just simply let them compete with each other while trying to find other ways to be competitive and have a succesful product.

Sendou

In business, You pay attention (not copy) to your competition or you will be eaten alive.

Of course you pay attention to competition. Yet in business, you sometimes might want to take different approach than competition because economical reasons I'm sure you could read more about with some clever googling.

This does not disregard the fact that some aspects of competition should be brought over almost as they are. Nintendo has also done so with the Wii U to an extent. It's no secret that Nintendo was long the abusive uncle of the industry towards indies. Yet now they're rivalling (and in some areas exceeding) the leader on this area, Steam. You don't get to this point by simply blindly doing your own thing. You do your own thing on other areas.

What I simply can't fathom why some people seem to basically think that the right approach for Nintendo would have been making a spiritual successor to GameCube.

F#A#Oo

Banned
In regards to the Gamecube, releasing a powerful console /= following all the other companies. It was Nintendo's draconian policies and neglect of key burgeoning features (online, mature games) that were drastically different from their competitor's approach and led to the 'Cube underperforming.

In regards to the Wii, Nintendo may have ignored other companies, but that's NOT what made the Wii successful. The Wii was successful before Nintendo DIDN'T ignore the market. Unfortunately, ignore the market is exactly what they did this time around and is why the Wii U is failing.

If Nintendo is to survive, they need to realize that they can't just be different for different's sake. SMART innovation. INFORMED innovation. NOT throwing-shit-at-a-wall-and-hoping-something-sticks innovation. The Wii U is an example of the latter and, surprise surprise, nothing's sticking.

Ah...you underestimate Nintendo a lot if you think Nintendo just saw the tablet and said we'll do that.

The Wii was a throw shit at a wall and hope something sticks.

It was also lightning in a bottle. Reading the Iwata asks Nintendo very much likes the concept of idea>reality.

There was an interview Miyamoto did prior to Wii release where he said he hoped gaming would move away from the TV screen. This was in circa 2004/2005. If I find it I'll link it.

The gamepad is that idea. Off screen play the reality.

EDIT: Found it.

In the future, what do you think video games will be like?

It's convenient to make games that are played on TVs. But I always wanted to have a custom-sized screen that wasn't the typical four-cornered cathode-ray-tube TV. I've always thought that games would eventually break free of the confines of a TV screen to fill an entire room. But I would rather not say anything more about that.

Nintendo has and always will be an ideas company. They think of something and they YOLO if they really believe it's the future. Look through their patents and you will see crazy ass shit.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
There was an interview Miyamoto did prior to Wii release where he said he hoped gaming would move away from the TV screen. This was in circa 2004/2005. If I find it I'll link it.

Nintendo has and always will be an ideas company. They think of something and they YOLO if they really believe it's the future. Look through their patents and you will see crazy ass shit.

Wow. That link is amazing. Thanks for finding it.

royalan

Ah...you underestimate Nintendo a lot if you think Nintendo just saw the tablet and said we'll do that.

The Wii was a throw shit at a wall and hope something sticks.

It was also lightning in a bottle. Reading the Iwata asks Nintendo very much likes the concept of idea>reality.

No.

The original Wii was no kitchen sink, YOLO idea. It was the result of years worth of Nintendo paying attention to the market and realizing there was a growing population of potential customers who were becoming alienated by the increasingly complex and male-focused industry. Everything about the Wii was the concentrated from a very focused message that resonated: simple, fun, unlike anything you've ever seen.

The Wii U, by comparison, has an identity crises. Too complicated and expensive for casual audiences; lacking in core features, power, and software variety for enthusiast gamers, wrapped up in a gimmick that has zero appeal. And, frankly, if the big innovation Nintendo could come up with for a home console was not playing it on your TV, that's all the more support for the argument that the gamepad should have been optional. Off-screen play is a convenience at best, it is not a compelling, innovative gameplay feature.

F#A#Oo

Banned
No.

The original Wii was no kitchen sink, YOLO idea. It was the result of years worth of Nintendo paying attention to the market and realizing there was a growing population of potential customers who were becoming alienated by the increasingly complex and male-focused industry. Everything about the Wii was the concentrated from a very focused message that resonated: simple, fun, unlike anything you've ever seen.

Yeah Nintendo did their research for many years.

You take my yolo comment too literally. The point was Nintendo is an idea company and if they like something enough they'll run with it till the end and go knee deep investing a lot of money in patents and even going as far as buying a stake and further supplying R&D efforts.

The Wii U, by comparison, has an identity crises. Too complicated and expensive for casual audiences; lacking in core features, power, and software variety for enthusiast gamers, wrapped up in a gimmick that has zero appeal. And, frankly, if the big innovation Nintendo could come up with for a home console was not playing it on your TV, that's all the more support for the argument that the gamepad should have been optional. Off-screen play is a convenience at best, it is not a compelling, innovative gameplay feature.

I won't argue with you that Nintendo have made a lot of mistakes when it comes to the Wii U as it's clear to see. Even Nintendo acknowledges this fact.

I don't think the Wii U concept is a bad one though. It has a lot of potential. Nintendo have just executed it all very badly. Who knows what is going on in Nintendo HQ.

Top Bottom