• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaden Smith & Vampire Weekend's Ezra Koenig have an anime premiering on Netflix 9/22.

Finished!

Episode 6
Grand Prix through downtown NYC was ridiculous

An anime for the wealthy, by Production I.G., with animation not even on the level of Studio Mir, and voice acting on par with a New Grounds short, that is so absurdly bad it's hilarious.

Yeah, it's funny for the wrong reasons and feels like a waste of money, like a rich guy splurged money and I.G. said "fuck it" while animating to get the check. I'll look back on this and say... "At least it wasn't M.D. Geist..."

Brilliant!

While I.G. was at least nominally involved in pre-production, the actual animation was done by the Korean studio, MOI.

That’s how you know it’s a work of art. I love it when something can cause people to feel so many conflicting reactions.

Lots of people are preconditioned to want to enjoy anything, no matter how bad it is. The only reason people can enjoy this trash is because they want to be contrarian because the initial reaction was how awful it actually is. It’s all post ironic bullshit.

Trickster

I don't know. Ask almost everyone else that's ever been rich and famous. Or like half of Hollywood.

But for SOME odd reason a single black family use their popularity and connections to help their kids? That seems to get under people skin.

I haven't seen any other kid of a famous Hollywood parent get pushed as much as Jaden has been. Especially considering he's been consistently bad in every he's done

Frimaire

I did not expect to hear Richard Ayoade in this.
Also, I love Arcangelo. Most of his lines sound like something out of an Abridged anime parody, rather than an actual show.

Seesaw15

I haven't seen any other kid of a famous Hollywood parent get pushed as much as Jaden has been. Especially considering he's been consistently bad in every he's done

Liam Hemsworth
Colin Hanks
Margaret Qualley
Zoey Deutch
Dakota Johnson
Emma Roberts
Casey Affleck
Dave Franco
Elle Fanning
Elizabeth Olsen

Lol, I know people don't like Jaden Smith's personality but he's not consistently bad. He's only had 4 major roles in the last 11 years(The Pursuit of Happyness,The Karate Kid,After Earth and The Get Down) and he was only bad in After Earth because everything was bad in After Earth. He's been average to great in everything else. Neoptism in Hollywood is common but since there's like 2 famous black families (Waynes and Smiths) Jaden gets more attention than others.

Astral

Liam Hemsworth
Colin Hanks
Margaret Qualley
Zoey Deutch
Dakota Johnson
Emma Roberts
Casey Affleck
Dave Franco
Elle Fanning
Elizabeth Olsen

Lol, I know people don't like Jaden Smith's personality but he's not consistently bad. He's only had 4 major roles in the last 11 years(The Pursuit of Happyness,The Karate Kid,After Earth and The Get Down) and he was only bad in After Earth because everything was bad in After Earth. He's been average to great in everything else. Neoptism in Hollywood is common but since there's like 2 famous black families (Waynes and Smiths) Jaden gets more attention than others.

I liked him in Karate Kid. Then he got weird.

Neoptism in Hollywood is common but since there's like 2 famous black families (Waynes and Smiths) Jaden gets more attention than others.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say people don't mock Jaden because he's black, they mock him because he's a weird freaking dude, regardless of his talent. Sorta like Max Landis. For what its worth I still like the guy; he's refreshing in that he's not just some cookie-cutter young star and is pretty comfortable being himself but at the same time it makes him an easy target as he just keeps getting vanity project after vanity project like this show. There is a certain amount of cynicism to it but that's it.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Lots of people are preconditioned to want to enjoy anything, no matter how bad it is. The only reason people can enjoy this trash is because they want to be contrarian because the initial reaction was how awful it actually is. It’s all post ironic bullshit.
Right, that is the only possible reason. Nailed it.

Seesaw15

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say people don't mock Jaden because he's black, they mock him because he's a weird freaking dude, regardless of his talent. Sorta like Max Landis. For what its worth I still like the guy; he's refreshing in that he's not just some cookie-cutter young star and is pretty comfortable being himself but at the same time it makes him an easy target as he just keeps getting vanity project after vanity project like this show. There is a certain amount of cynicism to it but that's it.

I would agree with you if all the hate started in 2013/14 when he was waxing poetic on twitter but people have disliked Jaden since he was 8 just because his dad is famous. The dude did nothing weird in between the period of The Pursuit of Happyness and the Karate Kid and still got a ton of hate.

First 3 episodes this was so bad it's good, I couldn't wrap my head around it. But after episode 4 I completely got what it was going for, I kinda love it. Really want a season 2.

Also fuck the haters he's a kid, if most of us were as famous as he was while trying to figure ourselves out we would be laughing stocks.

This show had a short explainer segment on the naming conventions of oversized wine bottles and a montage of oysters being harvested and delivered to the restaurant and a fucking race course through the Guggenheim and this is your response to it? Maybe you just don't get it.

caliph95

I don't like the show but since After Earth is his only bad performance (well and this show but it's his first voice performance and it's horrible)

Jaden gets too much hate thinking about it

This show had a short explainer segment on the naming conventions of oversized wine bottles and a montage of oysters being harvested and delivered to the restaurant and a fucking race course through the Guggenheim and this is your response to it? Maybe you just don't get it.

There's nothing to get. It's not funny. I'm not in any doubt it thinks it's a great satire. The issue isn't amusing nor well written. But naturally people feel the need to defend anything that gets called out for being shit. There's always contrarians who will tell you a universally panned show is actually great.

There's nothing to get. It's not funny. I'm not in any doubt it thinks it's a great satire. The issue isn't amusing nor well written. But naturally people feel the need to defend anything that gets called out for being shit. There's always contrarians who will tell you a universally panned show is actually great.

It's not funny to you. Accept that people feel differently than you do about this show and move on.

Maebe

That's your opinion. I think it's hilarious.

Sou Da

I just found out there's a Jp dub. I genuinely hope this ends up being some sort of deep intellectual experience for Japanese fans and they propel to get 5 more seasons.

Astral

I CAN SEE YOU BITCH

That payoff of the Midnight Blue tux was one of its best moments. This isn't a good show, but it has it's moments. I genuinely enjoyed episode 4 and Arcangelo in general. Some of the delivery is hilarious.

"What do you live here?"

"I wish I lived here..."

That payoff of the Midnight Blue tux was one of its best moments. This isn't a good show, but it has it's moments. I genuinely enjoyed episode 4 and Arcangelo in general. Some of the delivery is hilarious.

"What do you live here?"

"I wish I lived here..."

Oh 100% this show is incredibly stupid but there's some real gold VA on here from people I didn't expect to do voice roles, like Jude Law

Sometimes they really go in with the ham

"What do you live here?"

"I wish I lived here..."

That line is amazing.

pakkit

Banned
i find myself oddly enjoying this show. i think living in NYC and doing an internship at a fashion gallery for half a year prepared me for the comedic vapidity that neo yokio is here to satirize.

Top Bottom