• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jaden Smith & Vampire Weekend's Ezra Koenig have an anime premiering on Netflix 9/22.

"Parody - an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect" - the Oxford Dictionary.

It seems to fit that description pretty well to me with regard to anime. The unexplained sidekick mecha is the clearest example of it, but it's there throughout the episodes in facial expressions, scenarios, and other elements.
Nah
Its the room of anime
And that's okay.

caliph95

"Parody - an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect" - the Oxford Dictionary.

It seems to fit that description pretty well to me with regard to anime. The unexplained sidekick mecha is the clearest example of it, but it's there throughout the episodes in facial expressions, scenarios, and other elements.
But doesn't exaggerate shit even the facial expressions are tamed for anime

What does the sidekick satirized anyway because again having weird sidekick is an anime thing and it's ridiculous in comparison

I guess your opinion is the correct one, because you said it is. Neo Yokio is an attempt at making a genuine anime. Sure.

It's not an attempt at mocking anime.

They think they're being witty and actually funny within the structure of an anime. And they're failing

This shit is an awful parody if it's trying to be one, because it doesn't exaggerate any aspect of anime more than your average D- level anime.

Nachos

Oh god the background voices

Also, I laughed about Jaden being way down the voice cast list, even though he's the protagonist.

I guess your opinion is the correct one, because you said it is. Neo Yokio is an attempt at making a genuine anime. Sure.

That's what it's doing. It just fails. It's like calling the "How to Draw" manga books parodies just because they were so laughably bad you couldn't believe they were being earnest

Almost everyone here is taking this show way more seriously than anyone that worked on it did. Lighten up.

*Calls show shitty*
STOP BEING SO SERIOUS!

Okay

neshcom

Banned
Oh god the background voices

Also, I laughed about Jaden being way down the voice cast list, even though he's the protagonist.
It’s alphabetical.

Also, did Susan Sarandon voice the blogger’s mother in episode 1? What is the deal with that?

JMTHEFOX

Up to Episode 4 and its pretty decent so far.

The best part of the show is the French dub, it's really good and they actually manage to match the dialog with the lipsynch.

It's not shit, it's just comedy. This was meant to be on Fox's ADHD block with stuff like Axe Cop and Lucas Bros. Moving Co.

It's not funny. Unless the argument is "it's so bad it's funny", in which case they either 1) took it seriously trying to make it SO BAD it's funny or 2) they took it seriously trying to make it funny and failed. Either way they took it seriously.

I have no idea why people are standing up for this.
If you like it fine, I enjoy it, but I enjoy it for all the wrong reasons. But it's definitely not the 4th dimension meta commebtary people want to pretend it is.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If you like it fine, I enjoy it, but I enjoy it for all the wrong reasons. But it's definitely not the 4th dimension meta commebtary people want to pretend it is.
I guess the question is why do you care why someone else likes it?

shoelacer

Banned

I mean, it's not super deep, but there's definitely an intentional commentary here

But ”Neo Yokio" isn't an earth-scorching screed from the vocal Bernie Sanders supporter. It's a comedy. And like much of Vampire Weekend's work so far, the series slyly exposes both the humanity and the hypocrisy of its mostly well-off central characters and their obsessions with Cartier watches, field hockey, and blacker-than-black tuxedos. ”Almost everything in ‘Neo Yokio' is a loving tribute," says Koenig. ”Outside of maybe free-market capitalism, we're not trying to drag anything."
https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/ezra-koenig-interview-new-anime-series-next-vampire-weekend-album/

I watched episode one and found it very forgettable/flat: not especially funny or thrilling, and none of the characters especially intriguing to watch. Does the show get better or is it one of those "If you didn't care for the first episode, you probably won't care for the rest of it"-type deals?

Fancolors

Finished the rest of it.

Can't say it is good, at all. Not even fun as The Room, Manos or any other piece of media I like because they fail in entertaining ways.

There are some bits I enjoyed like the big Toblerone, but every character is either forgettable or insufferable and the stupid attempts of being woke on episode 4 raises more problems than it solves. This is closer to being plain bad like Foodfight than entertaining stuff like Chargeman Ken.

I watched this in one sitting while unboxing a new board game. I thought it was entertaining. This show is not trying to be serious by any means and the callbacks are pretty good. Looks like a fun project and I imagine everyone involved felt the same way. Squid ink alfredo.

breakfuss

Watched the first episode and doubt I’ll be watching any others. It’s just fucking awful. Not “so bad it’s good” and it doesn’t appear to be self-aware although people are arguing so.

NandoGip

Watched it last night. My take:

-Jaden Smiths voice acting was really bad, but at least improved a bit by the end
-His script was trash
-The Kid Mero knocked it out of the park
-Overall the voice acting was bad
-The story could have been charming and unique but it came across really amateurish
-How is this even an anime? It's more like a nickelodeon show than anything.
-Its sad that they have big name actors for voices, it takes you out of the scene when this weird ass voice comes on that doesnt match the character
- I wish they used that budget for better voices and animation, it wouldve made this show go from bad to at least decent

Bronx-Man

Banned
I’m disappointed more can’t recognize the subtle satire Neo Yokio has towards gentrifying Hampton millennial types. Feels like a modern day American Psycho imo.

v1lla21

I’m disappointed more can’t recognize the subtle satire Neo Yokio has towards gentrifying Hampton millennial types. Feels like a modern day American Psycho imo.
I've only seen the first episode and this was my immediate impression. It's not amazing by any means but it's not unwatchable.

Sou Da

This is genuinely one of the funniest shows on Netflix for me, and I'm like 10 minutes into episode 1 so far.

I can understand being put off by it though, it's "millennial" as hell.

sphagnum

Banned
2 episodes in and it's actually pretty good so far. The whole attitude is listless because it's all about rich people problems. Pretty funny.

I'm watching the first Ep and this is way better and funnier then it has any right to be.

Ok, I just finished the first Ep This thing is so bad it wraps back around to being brilliant!

ErichWK

Maaan a lot of you guys need to lighten up. I had a blast watching this show and laughed constantly. It's so stupid it's funny. And Jaden Smith's terrible voice acting actually grew on me. The Charles reveal in episode 4 cracked me up, same with giant toblerone.

Finished four episodes so far. The first three were meh to trash, but the 4th one was really hilarious to me. I think you guys aren't watching it through all the way

Watched the first two episodes. That was actually pretty good. The dialogue is funny and I think Jadens wooden delivery makes it more entertaining.

I lost my shit in episode two during "Snacks are ready" and "I can see you, bitch". Its so ridiculous but I dig it.

I love how much product placement is in this show.

Sou Da

That's how you know it's a work of art. I love it when something can cause people to feel so many conflicting reactions.

Watched the first two episodes. That was actually pretty good. The dialogue is funny and I think Jadens wooden delivery makes it more entertaining.

I lost my shit in episode two during "Snacks are ready" and "I can see you, bitch". Its so ridiculous but I dig it.

I love how much product placement is in this show.

Chanel literally owns France in this world.

Also is amazon bought Toblerone good?

Epcott

Finished!

Episode 6
Grand Prix through downtown NYC was ridiculous

An anime for the wealthy, by Production I.G., with animation not even on the level of Studio Mir, and voice acting on par with a New Grounds short, that is so absurdly bad it's hilarious.

Yeah, it's funny for the wrong reasons and feels like a waste of money, like a rich guy splurged money and I.G. said "fuck it" while animating to get the check. I'll look back on this and say... "At least it wasn't M.D. Geist..."

Brilliant!

Top Bottom