• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jak 2, Jak 3, and Jak X: Combat Racing for PS4 next week!

JP

So since you are so adament that this is BC you are perfectly ok with Sony raking people over the coals to re pay for games?

Seriously Sony is going to contnue to abuse its user base cause you fools keep making excuses for them.

So its ok to charge for BC now cause "Sony"
I still don't understand where this ongoing need of calling people names comes from?

The fact that charges have been applied doesn't have any effect at all on the methods used to run the software, which is backwards compatibility.

If you're driving a car it doesn't stop being driving a car and become something else just because you've had to pay for the car. It's the same with reading a book, irrelevant of paying for the book or not.

I get the feeling that you're attempting to make a point but because you don't seem to understand the words that you're using that point is just getting lost somewhere when you post.
It's technically not BC because they're updated versions that won't play on a PS2, if they were the same images that shipped when the game launched then that would be BC
But it is the very definition of backwards compatibility in much the same way that it is on the Xbox One. The reason that you can't just play any PlayStation 2 game on the PlayStation 4 is exactly the same reason that you can't play any Xbox or Xbox 360 disc on the Xbox One. It has to be one of the games that Microsoft has chosen to support as backwards compatible and when you place the disc in the machine you will then download a separate version of that game in a recompiled wrapper. The disc that you use is no more than a key for the updated version of the original game.

When you play a PlayStation 2 game on the PlayStation 4 you download a file which includes the emulator needed for that particular game to run on the PlayStation 4 hardware.

The way that the Xbox One deals with these things is a little different as almost everything that console does is running on a separate software layer but both versions are backwards compatibility as they are running legacy code on the current generation of console.

That is what backwards compatibility means in terms of games, running legacy code on a current machine. It doesn't matter how many layers of software they need to use to run that specific code on the current machine.

mad597

Banned
You know you guys could just donate a few hundred dollars to Sony every year and write it off on your taxes.

It's either not BC or you all condone paying for BC. Pick your poison, either way sony is being really shitty about it and no one cares cause they are stuffing their precious sony with cash.

#4thestockholders

Sony won this gen too easily and has a much better line of exclusives, right or wrong, they just haven't had a reason to invest so heavily in BC. Its felt a bit like a fallback tactic by MS because of a relatively weak lineup from their own studios.

The prices for these classics are definitely priced too high though imo.

JP

You know you guys could just donate a few hundred dollars to Sony every year and write it off on your taxes.

It's either not BC or you all condone paying for BC. Pick your poison, either way sony is being really shitty about it and no one cares cause they are stuffing their precious sony with cash.

#4thestockholders
You're just not making any sense, the fact that it is backwards compatibility doesn't have anything to do "everybody" condoning paying for it or not. The only things that affects whether it's backwards compatibility is whether it's backwards compatibility or not.

It is backwards compatibility as much as it is on the Xbox One and with that fact people can still having vastly differing opinions about whether it's worth it for them to pay for those backwards compatible games or not.

There's nothing to stop people thinking that "sony is being really shitty about it" just because it's a backwards compatibility game. Again, the two things that you're discussing are two complete separate things, one is a fact and the other is an opinion. It's the same with all non essential items, people can freely choose for themselves whether an asking price is worth it for them or not. Either way, it in no way changes what that particular non essential item is, the item doesn't change just because somebody feels a certain way about the the price of that item.

Again, I think you are trying to make a point here but you seem to be struggling to understand what you're actually saying when you type so it all just ends up being noise.

#4thecommonsenseandreallywishingthatpeoplewouldthinkaboutwhattheyaretryingtosaybeforetheyactuallysayit

FZW

These PS2 games are handled via backwards compatibility and they are improved over the original PS2 releases.

... But it is being resold to you whether you owned the game or not. That was the point.

Malcolm9

I actually prefer the PS4 version, am I crazy?

The framerate on the Vita version is atrocious, I tried to play it a few years back and gave up.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
They're just getting the standard PS2 on PS4 treatment according to the PlayStation Blog.

Also...
  • Jak X doesn't have online multiplayer.
  • You either buy the games as the four game bundle or as individual games, they are investigating a second bundle for people who already own the first game. Stay tuned.
  • They haven't modified the camera controls so if there was no option to invert the camera originally, there still isn't.
Or those shots prematurely revealed it and they covered it up as a mistake because 4K BC will be a PSX announcement and the Theme is there to Celebrate it.

Agent X

That is what backwards compatibility means in terms of games, running legacy code on a current machine. It doesn't matter how many layers of software they need to use to run that specific code on the current machine.

What you have described is "emulation", but not "backward compatibility". There is a distinction.

The PS4 can emulate the PS2, as we've witnessed with PS2 classics on PS4. In fact, it's a great emulator that can improve graphical quality and/or performance, which you've pointed out.

However (and this might be the point mad597 is getting at) is that it's not "backward compatible", because you cannot do either of the following:

1. Insert your existing physical PS2 game disc and play
  2. Carry over a previous digital purchase without having to repurchase it on PS4

I mean, I've got several NeoGeo games that are emulated on PS4 (Metal Slug 3, The Last Blade 2, Garou: Mark of the Wolves), but I wouldn't say that PS4 is backward compatible with NeoGeo. I can't play existing NeoGeo cartridge or NeoGeo CD games on the system. I had to purchase the emulated versions on PS4.

I've got Atari Flashback Classics volumes 1 & 2 on PS4, which emulates several Atari arcade games and Atari 2600 games. But that doesn't mean that PS4 is backward compatible with Atari 2600, because I have no way to play actual Atari 2600 cartridges on the PS4.

Compare this to my PS3 (early model), which allows me to stick in a PS1 disc or PS2 disc and play the game immediately, without any additional purchase necessary. That is backward compatibility.

Believe me, as a longtime owner of Sony systems, I really wish that Sony would offer some form of backward compatibility on the PS4. I keep hoping that they will, but it's been over four years already, and we're no closer now than we were the day that the system was released.

Neolombax

Can someone explain to me why Jak X was so highly regarded compared to the Trilogy? I only played Jak 2 and 3, and have really fond memories of them. I'm looking at the PS4 trailers, and the graphics leave much to be desired...still considering a purchase for nostalgic reasons.

JP

A bit of an update for people still after the first game, CD Keys have the UK version on sale for £2.19 at the moment. The full price is £11.99 so that's a saving of almost £10.

I know that people are going to ask as they usually do with sites like this and people are right to ask before handing over money. I've been using them for absolutely ages along with PC Game Supply and they've been brilliant for me every time.

Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (PS4) - £2.19

Top Bottom