• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron successfully dives to deepest point on Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

dejay

Banned
Actually, no. How is that funny?

ZsHPL.png
6uv1N.jpg

(edit) anyway, good luck to him. I like to see rich people doing interesting things with their money, especially when it's used to better humanity's understanding of our Universe.

sphinx

the piano man
anyone knows how deep can you go into the earth until you reach the outside of it from the other side?

All of you clamoring for Battle Angel should just try to keep the mindset that it will never happen. That is what I do, because there is a high probability that could be the case.

I still remember the day in 2005 that they announced Avatar was finally happening and I couldn't fucking believe it. I was so goddamn hyped.

Zeliard

Battle Angel will happen. Cameron's gotta get his expedition fix first and then make another silly amount of money with Avatar 2. But I have no doubt it'll come to fruition.

Archer

Guess no beans or spicy food is in his diet for the next few weeks. Imagine having to cut gas, or drop a deuce, being that far below the surface.

LLShC.gif

I knew about Avatar 3, but is he filming them back-to-back?

That was the original plan. Though the way the cast and Cameron himself have been talking about Avatar 2 in interviews recently, it is beginning to sound like he is only prepping the one film right now.

Nizz

Two people did it in the 60's only they couldn't see anything because of how dark it is down there and they had no equipment to do anything else. I believe the longest they stayed was 40 minutes.

Cameron is going down there with hi-tech lights, 3D cameras and will be staying on the ocean floor for six hours.
Damn, just the thought of that makes me cringe. I think one of my biggest fears is being out in deep ocean. The ocean kind of terrifies me. I'd never even go out on a boat to fish. And he's going deep down to top it off? So much of the ocean is unexplored, who knows what kind of creatures exist down there.

Hats off to him for doing something he's passionate about, but I wish he would just stay above ground and get going on some more movies. ;)

Damn, just the thought of that makes me cringe. I think one of my biggest fears is being out in deep ocean. The ocean kind of terrifies me. I'd never even go out on a boat to fish. And he's going deep down to top it off? So much of the ocean is unexplored, who knows what kind of creatures exist down there.

Hats off to him for doing something he's passionate about, but I wish he would just stay above ground and get going on some more movies. ;)

What are you saying? Cameron is going to encounter the equivalent of the Megalodon down there?

James Cameron and the taming of Cthulhu.

Cameron's got balls and/or is crazy. That graphic of the ocean depths makes me feel ill. If something goes wrong I guess he will simply disappear without a trace? Like falling into a black hole. Nuts.

Cameron's got balls and/or is crazy. That graphic of the ocean depths makes me feel ill. If something goes wrong I guess he will simply disappear without a trace? Like falling into a black hole. Nuts.
yikes that thought scares me. he'll basically be the most isolated person on earth for all those hours... i would just flip out and lose it. no way i could keep my composure down there.

dmshaposv

The image really puts things into perspective, and shows how grand this undertaking is.

Don't know if lifeforms exist that far away from the sun, but he'd surely get some nice footage for the Abyss 2. Good luck, jimbo!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The image really puts things into perspective, and shows how grand this undertaking is.

Don't know if lifeforms exist that far away from the sun, but he'd surely get some nice footage for the Abyss 2. Good luck, jimbo!

lol, they certainly do.

Nizz

What are you saying? Cameron is going to encounter the equivalent of the Megalodon down there?

James Cameron and the taming of Cthulhu.
He's going to be in giant squid territory! F that. :0 Like I said before, the deep ocean terrifies me, and that pic posted earlier above just cemented that fact. Cameron's got balls, I'll give him that.

People shouldn't forget that Cameron was once very close to going into space at one point. He had been training with the Russians for many, many months before their committee cancelled the mission at the last minute. It's a real shame since he's probably too old to go now.

Man is a fucking baller.

THE:MILKMAN

The guy has balls. I'll give him that.

The 1000 tonnes of pressure per square foot scares the shit out of me just thinking about it.

What is the damn sub made out of?

Will he release any footage when he's done?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i dont wish the man any harm.. but how cool would it be to be exploring a place nobody has been and die? You get to experience something that nobody else has or likely ever will. You also get to have a place named after you and everything. Cameron's Tomb (hypothetical.. if i jinx it, my bad).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom