• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron successfully dives to deepest point on Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.

strafer

I'm just disappointed that they didn't leave his boring ass down there.

eU9te.gif

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Awesome gif

And yeah put me in the 'James Cameron is awesome' camp.

it's simple. To me James Cameron makes trite films. They're not quite as trite as Michael Bay, but they're close. He's made billions of dollars doing this. He's also a fairly vocal and colorful celebrity. For these reasons I find him annoying. I also assume he'll film everything and release it to theatres of some sort. For these reasons, and because I'm sure my family will force me to go see it I was hoping it would be unsuccessful. Again, I admit I'm being petty.

Lols I know. I wrote that in Spanish too... I meant I didn't know what it was saying on the page.
I'm really trying to understand this set of posts of yours...

You say Cameron has made these "trite" films in the past, which you are somehow powerless to see due to familial pressures, so you wished he had failed.

You wish he had failed, so you wouldn't again be forced by these mysterious familial pressures to see the film on this subject.

So, you think a 3D National Geographic documentary film on an expedition to a place where fewer people have gone than even the moon will be "trite?"

I don't think you know what that word means.

Kosmo

Banned
Why are people even talking about Titanic and Avatar?

Would you be talking about the legitimacy of Neil Armstrong as a director because he landed on the moon?

Pennybags

I've been in submarines a couple of times before, and I have enjoyed my time scuba-diving, but damn, the deep sea is a scary place.

I'd rather be stuck in a solitary compartment up in space.

FunkyPajamas said:
See what you're making google ads do?
dbyDo.png

???

Stet

Banned
Wow at the venom in this thread. I'm no fan of Avatar and I haven't actually liked a James Cameron movie since True Lies, but if you really think that what he's doing is meaningless, you have the exploratory drive of an acorn. "But someone else would do it if he didn't" is a superbly stupid argument.

Kosmo

Banned
Wow at the venom in this thread. I'm no fan of Avatar and I haven't actually liked a James Cameron movie since True Lies, but if you really think that what he's doing is meaningless, you have the exploratory drive of an acorn. "But someone else would do it if he didn't" is a superbly stupid argument.

Yes, it's called the Egg of Columbus argument:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_of_Columbus

Columbus was dining with many Spanish nobles when one of them said: 'Sir Christopher, even if your lordship had not discovered the Indies, there would have been, here in Spain which is a country abundant with great men knowledgeable in cosmography and literature, one who would have started a similar adventure with the same result.' Columbus did not respond to these words but asked for a whole egg to be brought to him. He placed it on the table and said: 'My lords, I will lay a wager with any of you that you are unable to make this egg stand on its end like I will do without any kind of help or aid.' They all tried without success and when the egg returned to Columbus, he tapped it gently on the table breaking it slightly and, with this, the egg stood on its end. All those present were confounded and understood what he meant: that once the feat has been done, anyone knows how to do it.

Dyno

Yes, it's called the Egg of Columbus argument:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_of_Columbus

I am reading a book called The Rise and Fall of the House of Medici. In it is the same story with the egg. It is attributed to a Florentine archetect named Brunelleschi. It mentions this further down in the wiki.

The factual accuracy of this story is called into question by its similarity to another tale published fifteen years earlier (while Benzoni was still traveling in the Americas) by painter and architect Giorgio Vasari.[3] According to Vasari, the young Italian architect Filippo Brunelleschi had designed an unusually large and heavy dome for Santa Maria del Fiore, the cathedral (Duomo) in Florence, Italy. City officials had asked to see his model, but he refused, proposing instead:

That whosoever could make an egg stand upright on a flat piece of marble should build the cupola, since thus each man's intellect would be discerned. Taking an egg, therefore, all those Masters sought to make it stand upright, but not one could find a way. Whereupon Filippo, being told to make it stand, took it graciously, and, giving one end of it a blow on the flat piece of marble, made it stand upright. The craftsmen protested that they could have done the same; but Filippo answered, laughing, that they could also have raised the cupola, if they had seen the model or the design. And so it was resolved that he should be commissioned to carry out this work.

When the church was finally built it had the shape of half an egg slightly flattened at the top.

Jonm1010

Banned
How large is this area he explored?

What I'm getting at is is there a strong possibility that the reason not a lot was seen was because the area is just so vast that it will probably take multiple trips before drawing proper conclusions?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
-- Theodore Roosevelt

That reminds me of this:

Anton Ego from Ratatouille said:
"In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is more meaningful than our criticism designating it so."

Reno7728

Are you sure this footage is from Mariana Trench? It looks too bright to be from there. His footage has not been seen yet.

It was from the deep sea challenge page with the description:

See the first video footage of the deepest ocean floor, taken by James Cameron during his solo dive to the Mariana Trench.

jmdajr

Cameron should set up an account and bring back..

"and your contribution to society.... is what?"

Pretty amazing dude. I don't see Bill gates trying to do shit like this. And not that he has to, I'm just saying.

jmdajr

bill-gates-energy.jpg

"What? Sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sounds of people not dead from malaria."

Totally missed the point. I don't even have a problem with Bill. Why would I? He's amazing in his own way.

But hey I'm sure some people hate him just because of Microsoft.
"Cure malaria? Who gives shit! FUCK WINDOWS!"

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
the twist - he didn't find any big creatures because the floor of the trench WAS the big creature.

asteroid-worm.jpg

genjiZERO

I'm really trying to understand this set of posts of yours...

You say Cameron has made these "trite" films in the past, which you are somehow powerless to see due to familial pressures, so you wished he had failed.

You wish he had failed, so you wouldn't again be forced by these mysterious familial pressures to see the film on this subject.

So, you think a 3D National Geographic documentary film on an expedition to a place where fewer people have gone than even the moon will be "trite?"

I don't think you know what that word means.

uhhhh... just because I think all his films in the past have been trite it doesn't follow I think his next one will be. Maybe I don't know what "trite" means (although obviously I do because I used a synonym "fluff" in an earlier post), but you don't seem to get logic :p

And anyway I was up front about it being a petty knee-jerk reaction.

Jesus, so much Cameron circle-jerkyness in this tread.... sorry for having an irrational emotional reaction. I guess no one else has those...

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Why are the people shitting up the thread about a dive to the bottom of the marianas trench with bullshit about Avatar not being banned?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Totally missed the point. I don't even have a problem with Bill. Why would I? He's amazing in his own way.

What was your point?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Is there any actual news about the trip? Am on my phone so its a bit hard to look around the interwebs.. And this thread was to be my news

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Cameron should set up an account and bring back..

"and your contribution to society.... is what?"

Pretty amazing dude. I don't see Bill gates trying to do shit like this. And not that he has to, I'm just saying.

I think you miss the point. Bill Gates is obviously not passionate about sea exploration. He does what he's passionate about, Cameron does this, someone else does that. It's called diversity. Gates may even hate to travel the sea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom