• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Game Informer review scores/news

Cover: Worle exclusive look at Tiberium, a RTS/FPS hybrid by EA for PS3/360. Futuristic looking Command and Conquer meets Halo vibe.

Interview with John Carmack about his move into mobile games development and also mentions wanting to pursue an Orcs and Elves title on Wii if it does well on DS.

MGS4 delayed to Q2 08(probably old, I don't follow MGS news).

Mark Wahlberg has signed on to do a Max Payne movie.

Atari has suspended game development and might lose the DBZ property. Out of money again...

XBOX Download Program: Says 4 titles availible to download Halo, Fable, Psychonauts, and Crimson Skies. All will be full downloads for 1200 points. Says version might have translation problems and some titles may be missing some features. Says a board game called Carcassonne will be downloadable for free and that Live users that have had the service since it started will get 500 bonus points for free.

Top 50 games of 2007. Top game is Bioshock. other 49 aren't numbered so trolls and fanboys can't fight over the holiday season. In an odd twist, they list each reviewers personal top 10 for the year. Most obvious tragedy is that Super Mario Galaxy is missing from 5 out of the 10 reviewers top 10's. Let me say that again. Half of the GI reviewers didn't even have Super Mario Galaxy in their top 10 for GOTY. Gentlemen, start your hate mail....

Reviews
Rock Band 9.25/9.25
FEAR Files 6.5/7
Beowulf 5.75/5
K&L:DM 7/7.25
Warhammer 40,000 8/8.5
MX vs ATV 8/7.5
Scene It 8.5/7
Viva Pinata Party Animals 5.5
Bee Movie 6.5
Time Crisis 4 4.25/4.5
Super Mario Galaxy 9.75/9.75 GOTM
Smarty Pants 7.5/6
Rayman RR2 7.75/8
RE Umbrella Chronicles 8.25/8
Soulcalibur Legends 4/4
Ghost Squad 7/6.5
Battilion Wars 2 7.25/7.25
Endless Ocean 6
Trauma Center NB 7.5
MOH2:Heroes 6.75
Dancing With the Stars 5.25
Jenga 2(not a sequal, the score is 2)
Contra 4 9.25/8.75 GOTM

Mark Wahlberg as Max Payne? Yikes.

Non-10s for SMG? Double yikes.

Does the Tiberium spin-off look any good? I get GI for the previews anyway.

YYZ

Top 3 I could understand, but top 10? I would put it in there by default in a top 10 list :lol

Wollan

Depends how you want to structure your top 10 goty list.

Top 10 most deserving creations (in which SMG would be on it) or the Top 10 most important games to you personally (in which case half the G.I reporters didn't include it).

loosus

Banned
Wollan said:
Depends how you want to structure your top 10 goty list.

Top 10 most deserving creations (in which SMG would be on it) or the Top 10 most important games to you personally (in which case half the G.I reporters didn't include it).
Top ten "most deserving creations"? WTF is that? :lol If the game isn't the best to you personally, how the hell is it "most deserving"?! That sounds like bending your own opinion for others.

loosus

Banned
Wollan said:
Recognising quality even if it isn't your taste.
Doesn't make sense. "I realize that game is fun, even if it isn't fun to me"? No offense, but that's a really stupid perspective. People need to give their own opinions and not worry about what others think. If enough people think that SMG (or any other game, for that matter) is a fun game, then it should have no problem hitting an overall Top 10, right? Why artificially put it there?

Leonsito

I can understand not giving GOTY or even Top 3 to Mario Galaxy, it was an amazing year, but not Top10 ... :lol :lol

Captain Glanton said:
Does the Tiberium spin-off look any good? I get GI for the previews anyway.

It looks interesting. Very Sci-fi combat. Doesn't look to be any hands-on impressions, just first look and EA lipservice of how great it will be.

Previews include Frontlines:Fuel of War, The Last Remnant, EndWar, Turok, and Burnout Paradise(all PS3/360) No More Heroes, Mario Kart Wii, Unreal Tournament 3.

Dr.Hadji said:
Aren't half of the reviewers primarily PC reviewers anyway?

Not sure, I suppose it's possible but here's the list:

ANDY
1 bioshock
2 COD4
3 WOW:TBC
4 GH3
5. RockBand
6. Mass Effect
7 Super Mario Galaxy
8 Portal
9 Crackdown
10 Picross

REINER
1 Bioshock
2 Mass Effect
3 COD4
4 Super Mario Galaxy
5 Assassins Creed
6 GoW2
7 LoZ:pH
8 The Orange Box
9 R&CF:ToD
10 Geometry Wars Galaxies

MATT
1 Super Mario Galaxy
2 Bioshock
3 The Orange Box
4 R&CF:ToD
5 Picross
6 Mass Effect
7 Super Parer Mario
8 Rock Band
9 GH3
10 Uncharted

KATO
1 Bioshock
2 Mass Effect
3 Assassins Creed
4 Rogue Galaxy
5 Skate
6 GH3
7 PGR4
8 Tiger Woods 08
9 Picross
10 Jeanne D'Arc

ADAM
1 COD4
2 Bioshock
3 WOW:TBC
4 Civilization 4
5 Neverwinter Nights 2
6 Lord of the Rings Online
7 Puzzle Quest: Challange of the Warloards
8 Rock Band
9 Unreal Tournament 3
10 Supreme Commander

JOE
1 Bioshock
2 Mass Effect
3 Assassins Creed
4 GoW2
5 Portal
6 Blue Dragon
7 Persona 3
8 Odin Sphere
9 Heavenly Sword
10 Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney

MILLER
1 Bioshock
2 Mass Effect
3 Assassins Creed
4 Super Mario Galaxy
5 Rock Band
6 Uncharted
7 Halo 3
8 The Orange Box
9 GH3
10 GoW2

BERTZ
1 COD4
2 Mass Effect
3 Bioshock
4 Portal
5 Assassins Creed
6 Elder Scrolls 4
7 Crysis
8 Rock Band
9 GH3
10 Civilization 4

BEN
1 COD4
2 The Orange Box
3 Mass Effect
4 Bioshock
5 GoW2
6 Halo 3
7 Metroid Prime 3
8 Super Mario Galaxy
9 Elder Scrolls 4
10 R&CF:ToD

BRYAN
1 Rockj Band
2 The Orange Box
3 Bioshock
4 COD4
5 Contra 4
6 GH3
7 Super Paper Mario
8 Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
9 Heavenly Sword
10 picross

Dr.Hadji said:
Aren't half of the reviewers primarily PC reviewers anyway?

Is that in response to the fact that Galaxy got no respect?

Silent_Echo said:
BRYAN
1 Rockj Band
2 The Orange Box
3 Bioshock
4 COD4
5 Contra 4
6 GH3
7 Super Paper Mario
8 Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
9 Heavenly Sword
10 picross

wtf is this? They put that on there but not Galaxy? I mean, I was one of the very few around here who really liked that game and I still think it's insane

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
loosus said:
Doesn't make sense. "I realize that game is fun, even if it isn't fun to me"? No offense, but that's a really stupid perspective. People need to give their own opinions and not worry about what others think. If enough people think that SMG (or any other game, for that matter) is a fun game, then it should have no problem hitting an overall Top 10, right? Why artificially put it there?
Because there are objective measures here. There's a reason why say a panel out to find the greatest movies of all time is composed of different tastes so that they can account for everything and ensure that there is some modicum of objectiveness in their results. Say Citizen **** (I love GAF's censors) rubbed me the wrong way. Then say I enjoyed National Treasure more. Wouldn't it be possible to conclude that Citizen **** was the better composed movie while still personally enjoying National Treasure more? Movies aren't entirely based upon facts, so it's possible to hate something in spite of its quality and vice versa. Obviously when talking about opinions there is a lot of gray area. But there is a reason so many people are calling Mario Galaxy one of the greatest games of all time. It's creative. It's imaginative. There is a lot to like. It is entirely possible to recognize those qualities while still disliking them, so wouldn't it be possible to form a list based on those qualities?

Of course it is hard because like any entertainment or art product it's based heavily on emotion, and you're going to have an emotion either way that effects your decision. But I can still personally conclude that Metal Gear Solid is a great game even if I'm not into that genre. I can still see the things that make it great. But I can also see the things that turn me off to it (I don't like to sneak, I don't like to take my time). It's sort of hard, too, when making a top 10 list because with so many great games you're gonna have to turn to emotion to differentiate such razor thin margins. But I think it's possible to recognize greatness, and I'd hope that people would choose to see beyond some of their biases a little from time to time. I think people are better for it when they choose to embrace things they may not be personally tuned to and recognize quality when it's there. That does not dissuade someone from having strong opinions and sometimes even hating things that many others enjoy. But I'd hope that people would take a moment and look beyond their own box, too. It doesn't serve anybody when people just give their opinions without any regard for the larger picture.

another WTF moment in the top 50 list is warhawk isn't listed

Thats just some stupid bullshit right there. They include games like Hellgate, but don't include Warhawk.

Halo 3 got less top 10's than SMG. World of Warcraft got even less, and it's even more of a crime than either Halo 3 or SMG. In the end though, who cares!

I think the reason Galaxy wasn't in most Top 10s was because they played it last minute while making top 10s. After all they just reviewed it THIS issue. You could even take it as them being honest and not listing it in their top 10 just because its mario. And this issue is pretty old news by now. I got it on monday and I always recieve em late.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Bluemercury said:
Because its one of the best games? i wonder.....

Unlike many Gafers, I imagine that GI editors who haven't played a specific game, don't bother opining on its merits, or lack thereof.

Not including SMG might simply mean they haven't actually played it.

Stinkles said:
Unlike many Gafers, I imagine that GI editors who haven't played a specific game, don't bother opining on its merits, or lack thereof.

Not including SMG might simply mean they haven't actually played it.
I posted this above too. They did after all JUST REVIEW IT IN THE SAME ISSUE.

Ace 8095

Game Informer today seems to focus more on the quality stitching of $300 jerseys and less on quality video game coverage. Shame.

krypt0nian said:
Not to some of the editors. The end.

Some opinions are just blatantly wrong.

5 out of 10 Game Informer reviewers think that Willow is a vastly superior fantasy epic than the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

See?

miyamotofreak said:
I think the reason Galaxy wasn't in most Top 10s was because they played it last minute while making top 10s. After all they just reviewed it THIS issue. You could even take it as them being honest and not listing it in their top 10 just because its mario. And this issue is pretty old news by now. I got it on monday and I always recieve em late.

This is Game Informer.

Leonsito said:
I can understand not giving GOTY or even Top 3 to Mario Galaxy, it was an amazing year, but not Top10 ... :lol :lol
I completely agree, and SMG was not a game with which I was completely impressed.

Also, not everyone here is a big Halo3 fan, but it's definitely a top 10 game as well, whether it's your thing or not.

I mean come on... GH3?

loosus

Banned
Deputy Moonman said:
I completely agree, and SMG was not a game with which I was completely impressed.

Also, not everyone here is a big Halo3 fan, but it's definitely a top 10 game as well, whether it's your thing or not.

I mean come on... GH3?
How can you say so matter-of-factly that Halo 3 "is definitely a top 10 game"? NOT EVERYBODY LIKES HALO. I'm not going to -- and nobody else should -- pretend a game that I dislike is a fun game, regardless of of the millions of others who like it. I don't see it (and a lot of other games) as a so-called "top 10 game."

This whole "yeah, I think the game sux, but I gotta give it props for being one of the best games EVAR MADE" retardo logic needs to stop. It doesn't even mean sense.

justchris

loosus said:
No, and that's what you need to get out of your head.

So you would have no problem with a reviewer who gave every FPS ever a 2 because he can't stand them and feels they're a waste of time, but some of them are kind of pretty. Halo 3 - 2. Call of Duty 4 -2. Orange Box - 3 (cause it has puzzle features).

What they feel as a person, and what they feel as a reviewer can, and often should be, two different things. They're not reviewing the game for people who have the exact same tastes as them, they're reviewing the game for everyone.

loosus

Banned
justchris said:
So you would have no problem with a reviewer who gave every FPS ever a 2 because he can't stand them and feels they're a waste of time, but some of them are kind of pretty. Halo 3 - 2. Call of Duty 4 -2. Orange Box - 3 (cause it has puzzle features).

What they feel as a person, and what they feel as a reviewer can, and often should be, two different things. They're not reviewing the game for people who have the exact same tastes as them, they're reviewing the game for everyone.
So really what they need to do is write a review based on sales, not based on what they like. Is that what you're saying?

Or should every game get a 10 because SOMEBODY likes it?

Or should every game get a 1 because SOMEBODY hates it?

Or should every game get a 1, 5, and 10 to make sure everybody's pretty much covered?

And "what they feel as a person"? How else can they feel?

justchris

loosus said:
So really what they need to do is write a review based on sales, not based on what they like. Is that what you're saying?

Or should every game get a 10 because SOMEBODY likes it?

Or should every game get a 1 because SOMEBODY hates it?

Or should every game get a 1, 5, and 10 to make sure everybody's pretty much covered?

And "what they feel as a person"? How else can they feel?

Some people are actually capable of objective thought, as amazing as that may seem. They can rate a game based on what it attempts to do, and how well it does it.

loosus

Banned
justchris said:
Some people are actually capable of objective thought, as amazing as that may seem. They can rate a game based on what it attempts to do, and how well it does it.
So now we're rating games based on what they attempt to do? News to me. Do reviewers get the "what we attempted to do" plans in the mail along with their review copy? Maybe they even get a checksheet of what was actually accomplished versus what was attempted?

I thought reviewers rated games based on how much enjoyment they were getting out of the games, not on what a developer attempted with the game. Silly me.

Top Bottom