• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Game Informer review scores/news

justchris

loosus said:
So now we're rating games based on what they attempt to do? News to me. Do reviewers get the "what we attempted to do" plans in the mail along with their review copy? Maybe they even get a checksheet of what was actually accomplished versus what was attempted?

I thought reviewers rated games based on how much enjoyment they were getting out of the games, not on what a developer attempted with the game. Silly me.

No, they rate them on how much enjoyment they expect their customers to get out of them. Large review sites like this can't assume everyone who reads their reviews has the same tastes as them.

As for what was attempted, usually, it's pretty obvious. The user is the one who decides if they succeeded (in this case the reviewer), since it's the user's opinion that matters, not the creator's.

Mango Positive said:
Some opinions are just blatantly wrong.

5 out of 10 Game Informer reviewers think that Willow is a vastly superior fantasy epic than the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

See?

You have no idea what you're typing anymore.

Raistlin

loosus said:
Doesn't make sense. "I realize that game is fun, even if it isn't fun to me"? No offense, but that's a really stupid perspective. People need to give their own opinions and not worry about what others think.

It's funny you should say that. When a reviewer gives a highly praised release a more average (or a somewhat bad) score, GAF utterly freaks out. Cries of bias, that they're doing it for hits, etc ...

It would seem that one really can't give their own opinion.

fernoca

Most of the stuff is old, some even no longer valid (Carcassone was free for 2 days...back in November)..and yeah, their GOTY stuff is kinda weird.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Silent_Echo said:
Not sure, I suppose it's possible but here's the list:
ADAM
1 COD4
2 Bioshock
3 WOW:TBC
4 Civilization 4
5 Neverwinter Nights 2
6 Lord of the Rings Online
7 Puzzle Quest: Challange of the Warloards
8 Rock Band
9 Unreal Tournament 3
10 Supreme Commander

BERTZ
1 COD4
2 Mass Effect
3 Bioshock
4 Portal
5 Assassins Creed
6 Elder Scrolls 4
7 Crysis
8 Rock Band
9 GH3
10 Civilization 4

What year are these guys in?
I'm guessing they're talking about the mods like Beyond the Sword that came out.

Kittonwy

Banned
They overscored K&L, WTF can't these mags give an honest score to a shit game?
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
A 6 or 7 is a pretty good score for the game. Its not bad its just really unpolished.

If I haven't played the game I would have agreed with a 6-7 score, but after playing it I would give it like a 5 probably because the fundamental gameplay and controls are pretty broken, the initial concept is actually pretty sexy but too bad the execution is such a clusterfuck. I think even giving people a chance to pick up the game would be doing a disservice to them.
Indifferent2.gif

Game Informer hates Nintendo and confuses blood and boobies with maturity at a ridiculous level. Come on, they ragged on the graphics in Zack and Wiki; I can understand pissing on most Wii games, but that's insane.

simpleton

Obviously I have heard of Contra, but I never heard of Contra 4 and didn't know what system it is on. Thought maybe it was a new downloadable game for Xbox arcade or PSN or something.

I don't like handheld systems. I am too old and my hands cramp up and it causes me to drink heavily to ease the pain.

Top Bottom