• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT2| Stop watching this garbage and get HBO Go

somedevil

Here is meltzer ratings for the Royal Rumble:

New Day vs Tyson and Cesaro: 2 and 3/4
Ascension vs Dx: 1 and 1/4
Usos vs Miz and Mizdow: 3 stars
Brie and Nikki vs Paige and Natalya: 1 star
Brock vs Cena vs Rollins: 4 and 3/4 stars. Same as Zayn vs Neville for the title
Royal Rumble: 1 and 3/4 stars ouch

0NS6ABt.gif

you can just hear that lisp

You can't manufacture star quality. Stone Cold had the gift of the gab, as did Rock and Hogan, even Cena to an extent. Also, ignoring for a second how horrid his written promos have been, if Reigns were the sort of guy who could go out there and entertain the crowd off-the-cuff, he would've been allowed to do so by now. They don't have faith in him on the mic, so why should anyone watching care in what he has to say? Frankly, I'm more invested in Reigns struggle to find some charisma than I am in his 'struggle' to reach the top of the WWE mountain.
What about Goldberg, what gift did he have?

Striker

They've already done a wonderful job over the years of making the Rumble seem pointless. Foley was right when he said it's on its way to becoming Survivor Series-level of who gives a fuck.
I suppose so. Bryan was on his way, but due to unfortunate circumstances it fell apart. Then other previous winners like Batista, Del Rio, Cener, Orton, pasty ass, just all felt went nowhere due to shitty booking or produced anything memorable.

Verendus

Banned
I'd say the biggest issue WWE has is that they don't have a heel who fans just really don't like. You kind of need that to help get your faces over. Lesnar's reactions have ranged from indifference to half the crowd being behind him because he's against Cena. Add that with them repeating last year's mistake in a way, and you're left with an obvious result.

It's why I was said they should've rolled with Batista all the way after Wrestlemania last year. Fans hated him so much that you pretty much have a great opportunity to use all that hate, and build an entire angle where you can eventually elevate someone. Rather than wasting time with Lesnar, they should've convinced Big Dave and built the main event angle from that. You'd still have Lesnar to build another angle too.

It's business. Maximise your opportunities. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

Hasney

You can't manufacture star quality. Stone Cold had the gift of the gab, as did Rock and Hogan, even Cena to an extent. Also, ignoring for a second how horrid his written promos have been, if Reigns were the sort of guy who could go out there and entertain the crowd off-the-cuff, he would've been allowed to do so by now. They don't have faith in him on the mic, so why should anyone watching care in what he has to say? Frankly, I'm more invested in Reigns struggle to find some charisma than I am in his 'struggle' to reach the top of the WWE mountain.

I disagree with this. Apparently, even guys like Jericho who could do it back in the day are scripted word for word with those promos even though his newer stuff is awful by comparison. "I... Want... Title.... Match...." Good god, still makes me shudder and took the shine off Jerichos first return for me. Vince loves having the control so if he can control everything about Reigns, even if it makes him slightly worse, he will.

Agree with the rest though, the car crash so far has been delightful fun.

LikelyEnormousAmethystgemclam.gif

I just needed a reason to to post that.

Oh man. "Hey Rusev, we're gonna be the last two in the Rumble buddy. This will be fun"

I'd say the biggest issue WWE has is that they don't have a heel who fans just really don't like. You kind of need that to help get your faces over. Lesnar's reactions have ranged from indifference to half the crowd being behind him because he's against Cena. Add that with them repeating last year's mistake in a way, and you're left with an obvious result.

It's why I was said they should've rolled with Batista all the way after Wrestlemania last year. Fans hated him so much that you pretty much have a great opportunity to use all that hate, and build an entire angle where you can eventually elevate someone.

I think it's both that and they don't know how to book faces on top of that. Bryan was an accident with a chant and one of the few people they have that go in the ring with anyone and the only reason he's that over is because it was organic. Most big faces since the late 90s transitioned their heel gimmick into face just with a subtle change because the crowd were cheering anyway. Austin, Rock, Angle, Cena, Edge
Christian
and Guerrero. Reigns just needs to do something similar and he'll be fine in a year. This will all be forgotten by the majority of the fans.

Man these last three Rumbles have been an IWC nightmare.

2013: Punk loses the title, CENAWINSLOL
2014: Bootista, Punk leaves, "Did someone not get what they wanted?"
2015: Bryan's failure, and....

y66jFhu.jpg

you guys wouldn't know what to do with yourselves if bryan won the rumble.

I like the guy but he would be terrible as the face of the company.

I want to see him as a heel again.

Marvel

could never

So do I, his smarmy shit was excellent.

I think BatistaGAF will come round to Roman Reigns in six to seven months time. You're just in a rebellious phase.

Big Dave is my guy but Roman needs to improve a lot for me to give a shit in those 7 months, friend.

2013 aggressive insecure face Bryan is probably one of my favorites wrestling characters ever and I would love for him to go back to that. Especially after him losing the Rumble in such a fashion like that. I want him to have a clean slate (and hair ffs) and just do what he does best; captivating the WWE Universe.

What about Goldberg, what gift did he have?

The difference with Goldberg was he was well protected, they successfully accentuated his positives and disguised his negatives. But that was WCW and Nitro was a wrestling show. Goldberg never needed to go out there and waste 10 minutes with an in-ring promo, so he wasn't terribly exposed as being a bit shit on the mic.

It's why I was said they should've rolled with Batista all the way after Wrestlemania last year. Fans hated him so much that you pretty much have a great opportunity to use all that hate, and build an entire angle where you can eventually elevate someone. Rather than wasting time with Lesnar, they should've convinced Big Dave and built the main event angle from that. You'd still have Lesnar to build another angle too.

It's business. Maximise your opportunities. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.
You know your state of heels are in sad shape when two of the top five are Kane and Big Show.

Top Bottom