• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan ceasing production of VCR players

Status
Not open for further replies.

EctoPrime

anyone have a vcr that has component?

Dvd and vhs combo devices will often have component.

I remember the special feature the my Akai vcr had, the ability to enable an analogue noise filter which if you have seen that Predator Bluray was not very good as it was similar to that. The ease of use compared to older machines for scheduling recordings was astonishing though with the on screen menu that notified you of conflicting recordings which all had to be manually entered. I was basically using the machine as a dvr with eight hours of recording time via longplay decades before I actually had a dvr.

hirokazu

As far as I'm aware, A History of Violence was the last movie to be released on VHS. The Eragon thing sounds like bullshit. The VHS Wikipedia article was apparently changed sometime in 2015 to state that Eragon was the last movie released on VHS, however there's no citation for this.

EDIT: Doing more research, the person who made the edit to the VHS Wikipedia page stating Eragon was the last movie released on VHS claimed in their edit summary that "other Wikipedia pages" were their source. I figured they were referring to the Eragon (film) Wikipedia page, which does state that it was released on VHS. However I tracked down that particular edit, made in 2013, and this is the list of contributions by the person who made it. Yeah, looks totally reliable and trustworthy, huh? And their citation for this was this Amazon page for an Eragon VHS, which has the cover art for the Eragon PC game.

So yeah. Thinking Eragon on VHS doesn't exist and Wikipedia needs some serious editing.
Given the amount of research you've done, I think you ought to be the one to fix up those Wikipedia entries.

hirokazu

I still have my VCR.

Panasonic NV-FJ630
I think my parents had this, or something really similar to this. It was a pretty late model and incredibly cheap. I kept telling them "What are you going to do with a VCR, nobody uses them anymore and you'd have no use for it." But they insisted they needed one to watch stuff.

In the end, I think they barely, if ever, used it and ended up throwing it out. I would've kept it given it was pretty much in new condition. :<

SURGEdude

I still have my VCR.

Panasonic NV-FJ630

9iagQlW.jpg

I still have some tapes and also a few blank unopened tapes, I just use it as a clock now and I haven't played anything on it in years, years ago when I got a new TV, AV-receiver and my first DVD player I also got the VCR so with DVD for watching movies on the VCR was only used for occasional recording from the TV/Sky so it has hardly been used.

Some of the tapes I have left, I have some other films in a box somewhere, I only keep the Star Wars and Terminator 2 ones in my media room, the Terminator 2 tape is an ex-rental one, I went to the cinema twice to see it when it was on and I was at home one day due to being ill so not at school and my dad called in from work and on the way home he went into the video rental store and they were selling the ex-rental copies not sure what it cost £20'ish I think (honestly cannot remember) I don't know how many times I watched it, it also has the adverts at the start of the tape and also a competition to win a load of stuff including a Virtual Reality unit, I have been meaning to try and get this off somehow, I may just have to record it from my TV with a camera :/

eRWaqWp.jpg
gtsK7I7.jpg

Nice VCR, and a Wii U guy.

I like you.

I remember the special feature the my Akai vcr had, the ability to enable an analogue noise filter which if you have seen that Predator Bluray was not very good as it was similar to that. The ease of use compared to older machines for scheduling recordings was astonishing though with the on screen menu that notified you of conflicting recordings which all had to be manually entered. I was basically using the machine as a dvr with eight hours of recording time via longplay decades before I actually had a dvr.

Most DVD/VCR combo devices (that I am aware of) won't output VHS from anything but the composite video outputs. Pretty confident on this.

JVC's SVHS decks are an exception in that to they will output in s-video. But they are only a marginal improvement unless you're playing a tape recorded in SVHS.

I gave up and ripped a VHS home videos to digital video years ago and gave the VCR away. Thought I was done with it entirely but my dad gave me some VHS tapes my grandpa made of me in middle school / high school a couple of years back. At some point I'll have to get a VCR again and rip them. Just haven't gotten around to it, always other things to do.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm curious, was there copy protection back in VHS days? I don't remember since we usually buy or rent.

daveo42

Banned
Could you imagine if VHS or Laserdisc made a vinyl record style comeback?

No because they are actually inferior products to DVD, Blu-ray and Digital. Vinyl never really went away, it was just more for audiophiles and DJs until recently. If anything, you should expect a 35mm comeback.

I'm curious, was there copy protection back in VHS days? I don't remember since we usually buy or rent.

There was Macrovision copy protection which made copying pre-recorded tapes a non starter unless a person had a video stabilizer because the video would brighten or darken continuously throughout the video.

Madao

The amount of bandwidth you can pull off decently manufactured magnetic tape is pretty amazing. The lifespan of DAT and tape drives for data on PCs tell the story.

I'm actually surprised it took until D-VHS to realized what could be done with decent error correction and digital encoding on a high quality VHS tape. You lose chapter skipping and past say 3x FF or RW but the storage capacity is immense.

D-VHS had 50GB tapes, at a time when DVD's were at 8.5GB.

holy crap.

if VHS kept evolving, we could have 30TB VHS tapes now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
As far as I'm aware, A History of Violence was the last movie to be released on VHS. The Eragon thing sounds like bullshit. The VHS Wikipedia article was apparently changed sometime in 2015 to state that Eragon was the last movie released on VHS, however there's no citation for this.

EDIT: Doing more research, the person who made the edit to the VHS Wikipedia page stating Eragon was the last movie released on VHS claimed in their edit summary that "other Wikipedia pages" were their source. I figured they were referring to the Eragon (film) Wikipedia page, which does state that it was released on VHS. However I tracked down that particular edit, made in 2013, and this is the list of contributions by the person who made it. Yeah, looks totally reliable and trustworthy, huh? And their citation for this was this Amazon page for an Eragon VHS, which has the cover art for the Eragon PC game.

So yeah. Thinking Eragon on VHS doesn't exist and Wikipedia needs some serious editing.

Please edit the VHS article to reflect this -- Wikipedia vandals who, like, replace the president's picture with a butt are funny, but people who post minor incorrect information really do damage long-time.

Madao

I work for DirecTV and you would be surprised at how many people leave stickers on their electronics. Even those horrible yellow energy star rating tags on their hdtvs.

i kept the stickers on my VCR. want to know why i did that?

because the one time i tried to remove one, the stickers ripped halfway and left a horrible mess of white and sticky surface on the spot. i decided it was better to just leave them there.

thank the stars nowadays electronics come with logos that are almost invisible or a big sticker that can be easily removed.

i just saw this, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom