• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan ceasing production of VCR players

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirokazu

Am i the only one blown away by this? That's AMAZING! Wow, I'd love to see more sub 480p videos output at 1080i.
DVHS isn't sub-480p. It was literally 1080i video at a time when optical media (DVD) only offered 480p. And as the name suggests, it was digital, so you don't get the smearing bleeding shit that came with regular VHS.

Here's a video about it, it blew my mind when I found out about it a few weeks ago:
https://youtu.be/jiu0LPeLQPE

SURGEdude

Are you telling me this photo was taken in 1912? If so, please further explain or provide link to further information.

Indeed it is. And I'm glad you were as surprised as I was when I first saw it.

It's actually one of the first color photographs of note. It's a commissioned piece of the Czar of Russia, Alexander III.

At the time the Russian state was trying to modernize, westernize, and frankly not end up being a state like the USSR or Putin's bitches. They failed.

The Czar's government wanted to demonstrate the strong will of the people of Russia by documenting the building of the Trans-Siberian railroad. A task that was widely considered impossible.

Alex did it, and he want it shot in the best IQ possible. So he hired Sergei-Prokudin-Gorski:
TKH6no1.jpg

The railway is still famous to this day.

SURGEdude

Could you imagine if VHS or Laserdisc made a vinyl record style comeback?

Really unlikely for one reason; production.

LD is notoriously hard to print. The last Sony plants were switched to DVD/BRD years ago. It's not just the tooling and materials needed, because frankly DVD requires many of them as well, it's the fact that any sort of production would require an ongoing demand.

VHS resurgence seems far more likely, but only if it happens in the next decade. There's still a fairly massive amount of VHS molding and other production equipment out there. Most of the production can be re-tooled and have been.

But I think the vinyl and audio cassette resurgence have made production facilities and clients less prone to throwing out anything that would prevent a quick production switch.

The biggest issue is sourcing of components. Analogue formats aren't totally immune to this issue, but in general the parts are fairly simple and can be produced easily.

So who the fuck knows. I welcome our new/old video overlords.

UFO

Banned
My parents still use VCRs because they dont want to pay extra for DVR service.

I spent like 10 years trying to get my parents to switch from VCR to DVR. Finally last year they did and now every time I come over they get excited to tell me about it and show me how to use it.

SURGEdude

What's up with the Random Nazi with an SS shirt on at 1:43?

Yankee's fan?

DVHS isn't sub-480p. It was literally 1080i video at a time when optical media (DVD) only offered 480p. And as the name suggests, it was digital, so you don't get the smearing bleeding shit that came with regular VHS.

Here's a video about it, it blew my mind when I found out about it a few weeks ago:

D-VHS is phenomenal in so many ways. If it had landed 5 years earlier we'd all be using it's descendants.

The problem is the format was tied to a form factor associated with 1979 era-VHS. And frankly it was fucked the moment they went crazy with the way they handled error correction and DRM.

Any slight amount of wear or deviation in voltage would cause most DVHS players to reject a tape. Troubleshooting one was a fucking nightmare too.

D-VHS should have been mainstream but instead it became an AV fetishist/Japanophile format with nothing to pitch once TiVo hit in numbers.

HTupolev

A vinyl-style comeback is also extremely unlikely because you'd have to break compatibility with most widely-existing equipment if you wanted competitive image quality.

Vinyl is good enough that you don't really feel like you're giving anything up when you use it. By contrast, viewed on a moden TV, the drawbacks of the garbled NTSC coming out of a VHS tape are... not subtle.

Syriel

720p and 1080i.

D-VHS was more-or-less Blu-ray on a VHS sized tape.

It used the same video compression as OTA HD digital video broadcasts.

SURGEdude

720p and 1080i.

D-VHS was more-or-less Blu-ray on a VHS sized tape.

It used the same video compression as OTA HD digital video broadcasts.

To be fair, the MPEG-2 compression is pretty harsh.

It's the last algo/compression codec that was pretty much created in a lab with a small sample. After that millions of people were exposed to revisions before they were stamped into a standard. The decoding weight also explains a lot.

Pretty sure my old one is broken. Kinda feel the need to get a new one in case I ever wanna watch any of the weird anime I bought as a kid (since I'm sure most of it never got a dvd release).

I was reading this the other day and found it a bit interesting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-VHS

As a final effort for VHS, the D-VHS system had significant advantages as a highly versatile domestic recorder (the other tape-based formats are DV and Digital8, which never gained any traction except as camcorder media), but given the wholesale move to DVD and then hard disk drive (HDD) recording, the format has failed to make any headway into the video market.

High-definition content such as 1920x1080 or 1280x720 is typically stored at 28.2 Mbit/s (HS speed). Standard-definition content such as 720x576 (720x480) can be stored at bit rates from 14.1 Mbit/s down to 2.8 Mbit/s (STD, LS3, LS5 speeds).

The quality of STD speed is actually superior to the average DVD, since this speed has a much higher bitrate (approximately 14 versus 5 Mbit/s average) and suffers few compression artifacts.

Wow. As a VHS hog in Europe I never heard about DVHS or if I did I was too much on the DVD wagon by then to really notice. I did know about SVHS.

Quite amazing how in the mid 2000s VHS was the only way for HD, a break in the space time indeed.

SURGEdude

Wow. As a VHS hog in Europe I never heard about DVHS or if I did I was too much on the DVD wagon by then to really notice. I did know about SVHS.

Quite amazing how in the mid 2000s VHS was the only way for HD, a break in the space time indeed.

The amount of bandwidth you can pull off decently manufactured magnetic tape is pretty amazing. The lifespan of DAT and tape drives for data on PCs tell the story.

I'm actually surprised it took until D-VHS to realized what could be done with decent error correction and digital encoding on a high quality VHS tape. You lose chapter skipping and past say 3x FF or RW but the storage capacity is immense.

D-VHS had 50GB tapes, at a time when DVD's were at 8.5GB.

Kenstar

2003's HDCAM SR (based on 1997's HDCAM) digital Tapes are still used to this day in delivering masters to broadcast tv stations
sony-hdcam-bct-124hdl-124-minutes-large-tape.jpg

12 channels of uncompressed audio at 24 bit 48Khz
Max video rate of 880mbps (100 MB per second, 144 GB in 24 minutes)

SURGEdude

2003's HDCAM SR (based on 1997's HDCAM) digital Tapes are still used to this day in delivering masters to broadcast tv stations
sony-hdcam-bct-124hdl-124-minutes-large-tape.jpg

12 channels of uncompressed audio at 24 bit 48Khz
Max video rate of 880mbps (100 MB per second, 144 GB in 24 minutes)

Indeed, a good number OTA broadcasters in midwest markets demand digitapes for any submission by advertisers or other 3rd parties.

But the end of production means the end of the line for most commercial broadcast users. Even with a store of blanks the end is near and outside of community programming there isn't any viable path forward.

Sources tell me the movie Eragon was the last ever VHS, released in 2007. Yet I've looked on eBay and Amazon and there's no listing for VHS copies of the movie.

Does anyone have a copy or do you know of anyone who has a copy? Yes I know it's a trash movie, but it's apparently the last ever VHS so it must have high collector's value.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Sources tell me the movie Eragon was the last ever VHS, released in 2007. Yet I've looked on eBay and Amazon and there's no listing for VHS copies of the movie.

Does anyone have a copy or do you know of anyone who has a copy? Yes I know it's a trash movie, but it's apparently the last ever VHS so it must have high collector's value.

As far as I'm aware, A History of Violence was the last movie to be released on VHS. The Eragon thing sounds like bullshit. The VHS Wikipedia article was apparently changed sometime in 2015 to state that Eragon was the last movie released on VHS, however there's no citation for this.

EDIT: Doing more research, the person who made the edit to the VHS Wikipedia page stating Eragon was the last movie released on VHS claimed in their edit summary that "other Wikipedia pages" were their source. I figured they were referring to the Eragon (film) Wikipedia page, which does state that it was released on VHS. However I tracked down that particular edit, made in 2013, and this is the list of contributions by the person who made it. Yeah, looks totally reliable and trustworthy, huh? And their citation for this was this Amazon page for an Eragon VHS, which has the cover art for the Eragon PC game.

So yeah. Thinking Eragon on VHS doesn't exist and Wikipedia needs some serious editing.

Jedi2016

You know I've always wondered, is it better to rewind through a VCR or a rewinder?
It doesn't really matter. The tape disengages from the heads before rewinding, so it doesn't cause any extra wear and tear.

As for the OP, I wasn't even aware they were still producing VCRs.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It doesn't really matter. The tape disengages from the heads before rewinding, so it doesn't cause any extra wear and tear.

As for the OP, I wasn't even aware they were still producing VCRs.

I was told rewinders rewind faster or was it my uncle just joshing me?

Minus_Me

My father purchased a D-Theater player to use with our 1080i rear projection TV. I remember everyone being impressed with the Kuala Lumpur scenes from Entrapment.

People enjoyed coming over to our place because my dad always had the newest cinema gadgets. We got our first plasma TV in 1999 which was pretty nifty.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
The real news is that Betamax lasted until last year.

Betamax was really popular among media stations due to their portability being that the tapes were a bit smaller.

You'd probably be even more shocked to discover that there were 1080p videoplayers manufactured.

LoveCake

I still have my VCR.

Panasonic NV-FJ630

9iagQlW.jpg

I still have some tapes and also a few blank unopened tapes, I just use it as a clock now and I haven't played anything on it in years, years ago when I got a new TV, AV-receiver and my first DVD player I also got the VCR so with DVD for watching movies on the VCR was only used for occasional recording from the TV/Sky so it has hardly been used.

Some of the tapes I have left, I have some other films in a box somewhere, I only keep the Star Wars and Terminator 2 ones in my media room, the Terminator 2 tape is an ex-rental one, I went to the cinema twice to see it when it was on and I was at home one day due to being ill so not at school and my dad called in from work and on the way home he went into the video rental store and they were selling the ex-rental copies not sure what it cost £20'ish I think (honestly cannot remember) I don't know how many times I watched it, it also has the adverts at the start of the tape and also a competition to win a load of stuff including a Virtual Reality unit, I have been meaning to try and get this off somehow, I may just have to record it from my TV with a camera :/

eRWaqWp.jpg
gtsK7I7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom