• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan ceasing production of VCR players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Now hipsters can create a market for "warm, organic, compact analog image quality"
Naaa. They'll probably go one step further and build 30 line mechanical televisions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DVPKxb2xpA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3CFkK5OORw

wait....

WHAAAAT??!!!
It's true...it's true.

B001VZ1W5U-1.jpg

thebeeks

Banned
I still have a VCR. I was going through mom and dad's old collection of stuff they recorded off TV to find cool commercials. I stopped when I moved into a new house and had to pack everything up, but I should really get back on that.

What are some examples of quality content that only exists on vhs?

Legal copies of Muppet Babies episodes.

There are actually a lot of older cartoons you can only find on VHS, movies that never made it to DVD, made for TV movies that are mostly forgotten, and the always fun super rare recordings of movies that they refuse to release ever again.

Foggy

Plenty of low budget action and horror never made it over, but there are some boutique labels slowly transitioning them like Arrow, Olive Films, Vinegar Syndrome, and others. If low budget oddities aren't what you would consider "quality" then it has no bearing on you.

Was it Cowboy Beebop where they had to go to some abandoned sky scraper to find a VCR? That's what this reminds me of.

You're right. I liked that episode.

My parent still have three VCRs in their house somewhere. Maybe I'll hook one up sometime and watch a movie on it.

Tom Nook

Still have a VHS player at home, never getting rid it.

(Old man voice) Back in the day, we would record NFL/NBA games on it on EP mode. I would have the remote on hand and pause it at the commercials.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Still have a VHS player at home, never getting rid it.

(Old man voice) Back in the day, we would record NFL/NBA games on it on EP mode. I would have the remote on hand and pause it at the commercials.

It's weird. Back then, we would try our darnest to skip over the commercials, but now whenever I go back to watch old tapes of stuff I recorded off TV (mostly Cartoon Network), I only watch the commercials.

Tom Nook

It's weird. Back then, we would try our darnest to skip over the commercials, but now whenever I go back to watch old tapes of stuff I recorded off TV (mostly Cartoon Network), I only watch the commercials.

Man, I would love to watch the commercials during the 90's Nickelodeon, Fox Kids era.

This brings back memories of elementary school. When the teacher wheeled out the TV cart you know it was movie time.

Oh man, in grade 4-5 elementary school I had this one teacher that would wheel out the TV/ VCR for the class to watch Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. I was in that teachers class for two years straight (as it was a split class), and because of her, must have seen that movie a half a dozen times when I was like 10-11 years old.

She also had a model Enterprise refit on the filing cabinet behind her desk.

daveo42

Banned
I have a working VCR I bought back in like 2000 sitting in the closet. I still have working tapes as well. Super terrible platform now, but man that nostalgia. Real surprised Japan was still making VCRs up until recent.

Time to stock up on vcrs. Once evil AI takes over all your high tech DVD and bluray players and play Adam Sandler movies nonstop, I'll still have my precious vcr and videotapes.

I have a working VCR I bought back in like 2000 sitting in the closet. I still have working tapes as well. Super terrible platform now, but man that nostalgia. Real surprised Japan was still making VCRs up until recent.

I actually have my parents old 4-Head Panasonic VCR that my dad purchased in 1983. It still works, shocking enough. It actually has a faux wood grain paneling and is a top loader. Even has a wired remote control. The thing weighs like a million pounds.

luso

I read (but years ago) that VHS releases outdid DVD releases by more than the double amount, and BR are even less than DVD. So there's plenty of content that are not available from other media.
Thinking about, in some decades all this obsolete media will be harder to read and without parts will be more difficult by the year.
I suppose it's the same as the floppy disks, no one uses them anymore and I bet there's a lot of data in no other format that could be lost forever.

Bleepey

Charity shops here don't accept VCRs and I have seen suitcases filled with tapes left on the street in my neighbourhood. I didn't even look through them.

Kickz

I remember as a kid, taking a flashlight and holding up the little flap open on the vcr where the tapes go and being amazed at the machinery/circuits inside

mclem

I've got a fondness for old random tapes recorded years ago, you're never quite sure what you're going to get. I've got a tape of a Christmas day from some years ago - I didn't date it, and can't check, but probably about '02 - that I think would be a strange experience to watch in ten, twenty years' time. It's sometimes interesting to see the warts-and-all representation of old television, with the continuity and adverts intact.

I still have a VCR. I don't know if it still works. But I'd love to keep the option of finding random tapes and just delving in as a sort of magical mystery tour.

(Another thing that has similar appeal is old C90 cassettes from the days of 8-bit gaming with a ton of dodgy stuff on them. I've spent whole days going through those, just as a completely random varied gaming experience. What with quite a lot of Spectrum games being legitimately distributable, now, it'd be quite fun to go in to a random emulated C90 'blind' and find out what you stumble onto)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom