• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm going to look into getting a gaming PC in Japan.
Anyone has any experience doing so? Any sites/shops people recommend?
Site - Amazon
Shops - Sofmap and a ton of other ones in Akihabara.

Edit:
Bah, I thought you were talking about games.

AllenShrz

Yes, is more expensive.

I bought the 980ti +i7 6700k + mobo + 32GB + HHDs last year and it was considerably more expensive than on other countries.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Sorry about that previous post, I wrote it on a train being half asleep and thought you're asking about games.

I grabbed a premade PC in August last year from http://www.dospara.co.jp/

Checked with a few friends who built their own PCs and they said that it cost about as much as the component would, plus it didn't have any bloatware or anything like that, so I didn't even have to format it.

I paid around 18 man total for a GTX970+i7+8GB RAM+a 24" inch monitor, can't complain.

AllenShrz

Sounds very expensive to me for a 970, only for 8GB, and a "24inch" monitor. Which type is it? IPS, response time, gamma? and the CPU?

SKINNER!

Banned
Probably a question better suited for Japan GAF as opposed to the travel one. How much do famicom AVs go for in Japan? I'm looking to get one but current prices on ebay (shipped from Japan) is around £80.

Ayumi

Probably a question better suited for Japan GAF as opposed to the travel one. How much do famicom AVs go for in Japan? I'm looking to get one but current prices on ebay (shipped from Japan) is around £80.
Check Japan Yahoo Auctions. Import + eBay will always be more expensive and inaccurately priced.

Hi everyone! I'm moving to Nagano next month and I was wondering if anyone had advice on finding an apartment. I've had a look at a couple of sites but does anyone have any good recommendations?

Also, is it likely to be a problem if I'm a foreigner, and will be organising moving in from overseas? What's a good way to address this? It's uh, my first time renting without any outside help so I'm not totally sure of the process here or there...

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
No outside help? Is it not for a job? The usual conundrum foreigners have coming over is needing a type of paper trail to apply for the basic things, but not being able to get the basic things to start the paper trail. Meaning bank account, phone number, address. You'll need all of these to apply for a normal (non-privately owned) apartment as they'll run their typical 審査. The way most foreigners get around it, or how a place like my firm would do it is put you in like a weekly mansion, register that address on your 在留カード, use that and an 印鑑 to grab a bank account, and then finally get the phone once your account is open. Technically if the stars align this could all be done in a day. This doesn't mean a place will rent to you, it just gets you in the door. These places will need a 収入証明書 or at least an offer letter to confirm your employment. After that it's just up to the owner if they want to rent to you. Your usual steps are look at stuff on a site like Chintai and then contact the realtor or go to the area you like and walk into any realtor and begin touring each place. Don't forget the first payment will need to include the realtor fee. Also search for double zero or at least no 礼金 so you know you're not wasting money. You can also use apartment/realtor services specifically targeted at foreigners that will make the process much simpler probably but with predictable downsides.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Hi everyone! I'm moving to Nagano next month and I was wondering if anyone had advice on finding an apartment. I've had a look at a couple of sites but does anyone have any good recommendations?

Also, is it likely to be a problem if I'm a foreigner, and will be organising moving in from overseas? What's a good way to address this? It's uh, my first time renting without any outside help so I'm not totally sure of the process here or there...
At the moment I'm in the middle of my second apartment search since coming to Japan, so you might find my experiences useful.

Both times I was looking for an apartment I was already here. Your best bet would be to stay with a friend after you come here and start looking then.
The reason for that is that most apartments that you find online are online are already taken (at least in my experience).

I would suggest using Suumo to see what prices and apartments you can expect for the money you're willing to pay and the location. You can even set email alerts when new apartments which meet your requirements get posted.

The real hunt should be performed with a help of a real estate agent, because they have access to a bigger database than you'll find online, are in good relations with landlords and generally know their stuff. Of course business is business, so you must be weary of those who are showing you rundown places with high rent.

Don't be afraid to switch an agency mid search. I've been looking for a new place for about 2 months and I think I finally got some good offers in a 6th agency I visited (in one I was told right away that they are ordered by their boss to only serve Japanese customers, but that's the only time this happened to me).

Another thing, is to be prepared for a big first payment - in most cases you're expected to pay 2x a months rent, 15k for new keys, X man for a guarantor company (because you need a Japanese guarantor and a non-family Japanese friend probably won't become one).

Regarding you being Japanese, you are right, it might be a problem - some landlords don't want foreigners in their mansions (some allows pets, but not foreigners). From my own experience, it doesn't happen that often though.

Despite all of the above, the whole process can be quite easy.
Come to Japan -> Go to a real estate agent -> Check out a few apartments -> Decide to take one, get all of it sorted out and move in.

The main reason why doing it from abroad isn't a good idea is that better apartments disappear immediately, so the chance that landlord will be willing to wait for an uncertain tenant is pretty low - they'd probably rather take someone who can take it right away, since it means more rent money.
Meaning bank account, phone number, address. You'll need all of these to apply for a normal (non-privately owned) apartment as they'll run their typical 審査. The way most foreigners get around it, or how a place like my firm would do it is put you in like a weekly mansion, register that address on your 在留カード, use that and an 印鑑 to grab a bank account, and then finally get the phone once your account is open.
I had no address on my 在留カード (I told them where I'm staying and that I'm going to get a permanent place later) and that wasn't an obstacle. On the other hand, some document from the company, even if you didn't sign a contract yet is a must. I don't remember what I used, probably the 内定通知書.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I'm from an era before 在留 cards and very past the apartment hunting phase in my life so I'm not intimate with the current process, but if you didn't have a registered address on an id or 住民票 then how did you open a bank account, which would be needed for the rental application, no? Or that's not a requirement anymore?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm from an era before 在留 cards and very past the apartment hunting phase in my life so I'm not intimate with the current process, but if you didn't have a registered address on an id or 住民票 then how did you open a bank account, which would be needed for the rental application, no? Or that's not a requirement anymore?
Oh yeah, I guess I had a barebones ゆうちょ銀行 bank account from my scholarship days, so I just used that. I guess not many people who come to live here have this advantage.

Sakura

When I went to Japan the first time, I contacted various real estate agent places, looking for one that would support foreigners. When I found one, I corresponded with the person via email, and had already decided on a place before I arrived. Once I arrived, I simply used the address of the place I was going to move into for my bank account (and residence card), singed the contract and stuff, and then moved in the next day.

The difficulty I had though was a lack of a guarantor or a contact person in Japan. Because of this I had to pay the full year's rent in advance, but considering rent for the place was 20000 yen a month, it wasn't that big of a deal for me. I already had money saved up for rent in the first place.

My experience was with Fukuoka. I'm not sure about Nagano, but if you look around at various 不動産 places for the area you may find one that is familiar dealing with foreigners.

Kaworu

The bank account is not always necessary in my experience. In some places they let you deposit the money straight into their account.

urfe

I'm going to Okinawa for a vacation.

I do uni admin, and found a uni that is looking for uni admin people in Okinawa, so it'll be a job interview/vacation.

I imagine living in Okinawa would be amazing. I'd have a mango tree.

I'm an expert

I hate Okinawa in all aspects and dread when I have to go to my office there. The thought of living there is unbearable. You must be going through a quarter life crisis.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The difficulty I had though was a lack of a guarantor or a contact person in Japan. Because of this I had to pay the full year's rent in advance, but considering rent for the place was 20000 yen a month, it wasn't that big of a deal for me. I already had money saved up for rent in the first place.
A full year's rent? Wow. Is there a reason why they didn't just let you use a 保証会社? They usually take a month of rent if not less and from my experience seem to just fine for all places.
I'm going to Okinawa for a vacation.

I do uni admin, and found a uni that is looking for uni admin people in Okinawa, so it'll be a job interview/vacation.

I imagine living in Okinawa would be amazing. I'd have a mango tree.
Remember when typhoons hit us, people living on the "mainland" and it's just some rain? In Okinawa it looks like the world is going to end.

TakumiTrueno

Neo Member
Im moving to Japan next month for the next year or so. Do you guys ever meet up?
Also how has your guy's Japanese fluency increased since you moved there? Did you become pretty fluent fairly fast?

bluethree

Also how has your guy's Japanese fluency increased since you moved there? Did you become pretty fluent fairly fast?

That all will depend on you (and your situation there to an extent). Some expats here are fluent and others can't speak much at all. Put in the effort and you'll see at least some results.

In my case - N2 level when I got here, and my previous job helped my Japanese quite a bit, but at my current job I don't really use it that much so it's gone down a bit.

Sakura

A full year's rent? Wow. Is there a reason why they didn't just let you use a 保証会社? They usually take a month of rent if not less and from my experience seem to just fine for all places.
I think they said that a Japanese contact or something was still required to use a 保証会社.
I might have been able to get a different place without paying a years rent up front, but the 20,000 yen a month rent which included free internet was too attractive for me to turn down.

Im moving to Japan next month for the next year or so. Do you guys ever meet up?

Honestly I'm not sure my Japanese has improved, it is kind of hard to tell because I never really spoke it much back home.
I would say my ability to understand spoken Japanese has increased.

Quick question, JapanGAF,

if I was looking to attend pastry school in Japan, anyone have any tips or websites I can use for further information on going about the process? Language speaking information won't be needed. I need primarily info on attending school in another country.

There are several schools in Japan that offer degrees in pastry and I'm strongly considering beginning the process to try to attend one.

Ayumi

Quick question, JapanGAF,

if I was looking to attend pastry school in Japan, anyone have any tips or websites I can use for further information on going about the process? Language speaking information won't be needed. I need primarily info on attending school in another country.

There are several schools in Japan that offer degrees in pastry and I'm strongly considering beginning the process to try to attend one.
Wouldn't it (the main information) depend on your own country and its international offers?

I hate Okinawa in all aspects and dread when I have to go to my office there. The thought of living there is unbearable. You must be going through a quarter life crisis.

Wow, is it really that bad?
I would prefer typhoons over the never ending cold and snow we get starting from November up North. Half a year cooped up under a kotatsu is no fun :(
yl8Q0uD.png

I love sports, the beach (have my diving license) and being out doors so Okinawa is a huge draw to me.
Can you please explain your ill feeling towards the place!
I am aware of the "no jobs/shit wages scenario" but my family and I are seriously contemplating moving down there to start our own business in the future.
Genuinely curious to hear your opinions.
Urfe is it at The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology?
My daughter has her heart set on going to this uni.

I'm an expert

I've been on business and pleasure many times. From the pleasure standpoint, if you go to one of the many islands by ferry and do the resort type trip, it's fine, but then you're again basically getting the fuck away from main land Okinawa. If you stay on main land Okinawa, you're subject to a very packed tourist trap with shit public transportation and places that get old after one visit. I rent a car every time I go just so I have an imaginary sense of being able to go anywhere I want even though I know there's no where to go. From a business standpoint, the industries there are very specific and lacking growth, and even my firm basically only has an office there for one reason - expats. As much as people want the US out, especially again after the most recent incident, Okinawa's economy would implode.

But what urfe was talking about was moving a family there, which is a different standpoint. First, you're basically doing a move like Hawaii. You remove yourself from basic conveniences like fast mail, nationwide campaigns, pop culture, and access to high level education and career potential. In Hawaii, even with their shit schools, you could actually never leave the island and still be successful. On Okinawa - as someone who knows the major companies and high net worth individuals and how they became major players - you will eventually want to leave Okinawa if you have bigger aspirations in life. Which is fine, kids go from Oklahoma to NYC all the time for the same reason, but in these cases it's the adults making the choice, not the kids. I just moved my family back from NYC to Tokyo three weeks ago. My oldest son barely notices - everything he knows in the general sense is the same. That wouldn't be the case if I moved him to Okinawa, and that's something I'd have to weigh.

And then from a personal standpoint, it is factually the worst dialect in the country - and I've worked in Akita and southern Shikoku. Okinawans are just fucking weird. Barely Japanese.

All just my opinion. There are definitely reasons for people to move there, especially if you're into the sea life. But that's a different lifestyle and set of choices. Yeah, if I was a single bro who loved surfing, A&W restaurants, and night life every day, I'd move to Okinawa.

Porcile

One of the teachers at my school is from Okinawa and he's a very stinky sweaty man. I assume because they are all island bumpkins they all smell as bad as him. Be careful! Nice guy though.

Porcile

you gonna get that paper in July?

I applied to take it but I'm not worry hugely about passing like I did before I arrived. Teaching is fun and interesting. I got placed in a small school, in a poor area of the city so the school and other teachers actually expect a certain amount of responsibility from me which I appreciate. Sitting at my desk just studying wouldn't really fly to be honest. I study where I can, pay attention to the shit going on around me and learn through the friends I've made here.

bluethree

I applied to take it but I'm not worry hugely about passing like I did before I arrived. Teaching is fun and interesting. I got placed in a small school, in a poor area of the city so the school and other teachers actually expect a certain amount of responsibility from me which I appreciate. Sitting at my desk just studying wouldn't really fly to be honest. I study where I can, pay attention to the shit going on around me and learn through the friends I've made here.

if you wanna move on though, the sooner the better IMO

if you're enjoying things and don't mind progressing more slowly, well, that's fine too.

I love my job where I basically have a room to myself...and just do whatever if I end up having an absence.

Resilient

Seems fair enough. I spend a lot (a lot) of time at a desk. There is no way I would study like this if I was actually living in Japan.

But like bluethree said...the sooner it's over, the better. I just want that paper. So I can forget about it and have it.

clem84

Gold Member
I have a question about Japanese phone numbers.

Somebody gave me her phone number and it looks like this

+81 80 4601 ****

Now I know that Japan's country code is 81 so this number would be if I want to reach them from outside Japan. Now, what if I want to reach them from inside Japan, using a Japanese land or mobile number. How would that number be different? The +81 would be omitted right? So her number would be 80 4601 ****. Is this correct?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I have a question about Japanese phone numbers.

Somebody gave me her phone number and it looks like this

+81 80 4601 ****

Now I know that Japan's country code is 81 so this number would be if I want to reach them from outside Japan. Now, what if I want to reach them from inside Japan, using a Japanese land or mobile number. How would that number be different? The +81 would be omitted right? So her number would be 80 4601 ****. Is this correct?
Iirc it's 080, but yeah, you don't have to use the +81 part.

I don't lurk the Japan GAF thread (I probably should . . .), so I'm replying almost two weeks late, and perhaps my info's useless, but did you end up building your PC, already? I built a PC a couple months ago, because my laptop died on my and I'd been intending on building a new PC anyway.

I used kakaku.com to look up where the cheapest prices were for each part I wanted to buy, and then compared that with Amazon US, providing they shipped whatever I was looking at to Japan. In the end, I used a combination of Sofmap, Amazon US and a site called Best-Do.

Oh, sure!

From Sofmap:
Case: Corsair Air 240 White - 11977円
Motherboard: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming - 22,451円
CPU: i7 6700k - 41,950円

Amazon JP:
Mouse: Buffalo Yuusen Blue LED Mouse - 936円
Keyboard: Filco Majestouch2 (Tenkeyless, US layout) - 11,890円
GPU: GIGABYTE GTX970 - 38,577円

Best-Do:
CPU Cooler: H100i GTX - 14,683円
SSD: Samsung 750 EVO 120GB - 5,680円
HDD: Toshiba 3TB 7200 - 9,195円

Amazon US:
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 - $79.99
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 - $94.99

I was originally planning to wait for the new wave of GPUs to come out before building a new computer, but my laptop died suddenly, so I kind of had to buy everything in a hurry. Thankfully Sofmap let me do 2回払い, so I could lessen the blow to my wallet. :p
I'd've gone for a better GPU and perhaps a bigger SSD (though 120GB is enough for me, I really just wanted to put the OS on there) if I could have afforded to wait.
Actually, I originally ordered an MSI GTX 970 from Sofmap, but I found out it wouldn't fit in the case. Thankfully I hadn't opened it yet, so Sofmap let me return it.

Piichan

Banned
Anyone going to Fuji rock this year? I'll be going on Sunday.

Soooo, my job is sending me to Thailand for two months, meaning I can't go to Fuji Rock. Anyone need a one day ticket? 18,000 yen. It's a ticket for 24/6. Headlining are RHCP, but Baby Metal are also performing that day. PM me if interested.

I'm an expert

So just to be clear, you spent over 2k on that rig. Now I know the benefits of customizing and part picking and technically your build is better than the individual components of a dospara prebuilt. But you can get an i7 970 16gig build with an ssd for less from dospara. Again, losing out on some parts for sure, but the basics are the same. The real issue is that for 2k in America you could make a better build. Obviously you splurged on the motherboard, cooling, and keyboard..but you didn't even include OS. Assuming someone plays it by the books and has to buy an os, even a cheap win7 copy for the free upgrade, still more expensive than a prebuilt.

Just commenting on the shitty pc building scene here in general. Though Amazon did have 1070s the other day for less than 4man.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. You could get much better bang for your buck in the US, but Americans have it lucky! I built a PC in NZ about seven or eight years ago, and it was similarly expensive, so I wasn't too surprised with what I had to pay.
But, man, yeah, GPU prices here especially are noticeably higher when compared to the States. :(

Perhaps it's better to buy a prebuilt PC, then. It would be interesting to see the price comparison with like for like parts.

I found it really fun building my own, at any rate, so I don't regret what I paid.

Whoops, you're right! I forgot to mention the OS. I got a Windows 10 key from reddit's microsoftsoftwareswap for $38, which is kiiiinda by the books, I guess.

urfe

I've been on business and pleasure many times. From the pleasure standpoint, if you go to one of the many islands by ferry and do the resort type trip, it's fine, but then you're again basically getting the fuck away from main land Okinawa. If you stay on main land Okinawa, you're subject to a very packed tourist trap with shit public transportation and places that get old after one visit. I rent a car every time I go just so I have an imaginary sense of being able to go anywhere I want even though I know there's no where to go. From a business standpoint, the industries there are very specific and lacking growth, and even my firm basically only has an office there for one reason - expats. As much as people want the US out, especially again after the most recent incident, Okinawa's economy would implode.

But what urfe was talking about was moving a family there, which is a different standpoint. First, you're basically doing a move like Hawaii. You remove yourself from basic conveniences like fast mail, nationwide campaigns, pop culture, and access to high level education and career potential. In Hawaii, even with their shit schools, you could actually never leave the island and still be successful. On Okinawa - as someone who knows the major companies and high net worth individuals and how they became major players - you will eventually want to leave Okinawa if you have bigger aspirations in life. Which is fine, kids go from Oklahoma to NYC all the time for the same reason, but in these cases it's the adults making the choice, not the kids. I just moved my family back from NYC to Tokyo three weeks ago. My oldest son barely notices - everything he knows in the general sense is the same. That wouldn't be the case if I moved him to Okinawa, and that's something I'd have to weigh.

And then from a personal standpoint, it is factually the worst dialect in the country - and I've worked in Akita and southern Shikoku. Okinawans are just fucking weird. Barely Japanese.

All just my opinion. There are definitely reasons for people to move there, especially if you're into the sea life. But that's a different lifestyle and set of choices. Yeah, if I was a single bro who loved surfing, A&W restaurants, and night life every day, I'd move to Okinawa.

I appreciate your opinion (despite the packaging).

I don't have a family, but a wife who is more set on moving there than I am. For now, I was just exploring the opportunity. If we had kids there, I can't imagine we would stay there, and it would probably be for 4-5 years. I would need to be still developing my career there.

We both really like the north part of the island, as well as the small islands you can take a ferry to. I also like Okinawan culture, and enjoy talking to all the older folks and mainlanders who are escaping whatever they are escaping.

After going, and talking to the university I talked to (not the one mentioned above), I'm less interesting in moving there, and more interested in applying to be seishain at my current company (there's a window for us wee contract employees now), or just continue looking for things, explore freelance translation, etc. I feel my next step will be an important one in my career, and am looking at many opportunities.

BTW: If you're in Tokyo now and settled, I would be down for getting a drink sometime. I would have time in the second half of the month.

I'm an expert

What packaging lol..just a normal post.

You're about the 900th person to check if I'm down for a drink lol. I will be..around August. Shit too busy now. Also I have to background check all of you because I'm a high net worth individual.

urfe

What packaging lol..just a normal post.

You're about the 900th person to check if I'm down for a drink lol. I will be..around August. Shit too busy now. Also I have to background check all of you because I'm a high net worth individual.

All good. Hopefully others will be free too.

I'm an expert

All kidding aside, I probably won't ever take up anyone on the offers lol. Keeping life and ..this.. separate is pretty important to me. Eventually I'll just anonymously infiltrate some random meet up you guys organize and you'll just think I'm another weeb.

Top Bottom