• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Information about the newest Splatoon festival reminded me about this conflict.

So, Japan GAF, which one do you side with?
YrujifQ.jpg

たけのこの里 for me, definitely. Those weird mushrooms are pretty meh.

Ayumi

I didn't know they taste different? Maybe I've been eating them too fast to notice.
Or unless you mean the feeling of the design when eating. Then maybe 里 since they're covered in more chocolate.

Darksol

きのこの山 🍄

Penises > piles of poop

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
prebuilts with 1070fe's now available here, the pricing isnt as awful as i expected

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
i dont need a pc..just continuing the convo. a 1070 prebuilt is cheaper than the builds on the last page. meaning a 自作 set is even cheaper. aint nothing wrong with a founders either

Resilient

not inherently, but if you were gonna get a 1070FE you may as well go the extra couple of hundred and get an after market 1080. Phenomenal Flea - you should have waited that extra few weeks! i wonder how much (if at all) the 970s will drop..

not inherently, but if you were gonna get a 1070FE you may as well go the extra couple of hundred and get an after market 1080. Phenomenal Flea - you should have waited that extra few weeks! i wonder how much (if at all) the 970s will drop..

Maaan, yeah . . . I'm kinda kicking myself, but I would have struggled without a PC for three months (built my PC at the end of March). I knew the new line of graphics cards were right around the corner, but I was too impatient.

brb I'm going to go have a massive cry. ;-;

re the earthquake: Oh yeah, I felt that, too. Actually, speaking of which, the one we had last month confirmed that my NZ iPhone gets the Japanese earthquake alarms, so that was . . . something.

Darksol

Maaan, yeah . . . I'm kinda kicking myself, but I would have struggled without a PC for three months (built my PC at the end of March). I knew the new line of graphics cards were right around the corner, but I was too impatient.

brb I'm going to go have a massive cry. ;-;

re the earthquake: Oh yeah, I felt that, too. Actually, speaking of which, the one we had last month confirmed that my NZ iPhone gets the Japanese earthquake alarms, so that was . . . something.

Ditto. Bought my phone in Canada...still get the screeching sound of death.

TakumiTrueno

Neo Member
Hey guys I have a couple questions and maybe someone can help.

I made plans a while ago to go to Japan next month (July) thinking I would have my student VISA by then. Unfortunately its been delayed and i won't be getting my paperwork for the student VISA until mid August. I spoke with someone from the embassy here in California and they said I can't change my VISA status while im in the country. I would have to leave and then come back.

I'll do it if I have to but I don't want to come all the way back to California and then back to Japan to change status. Is it possible to go to Korea, Guam or someplace else to change status? Also do I have to apply for my student VISA at the closest embassy or can I do it while im in Japan or somewhere else?

I know Im asking a lot so thanks in advance.

I'm an expert

it is the job of the people at the embassy to tell you what the rules are. they will not tell you that you can break the rules. in reality, people change their visas from tourist here all the time and the immigration offices here very rarely, maybe 1 out of 10000 care, assuming everything is legit.

the question is did you already begin the coe process. if you did, you will need to be in america to receive that coe and finish the process at the embassy. you will not be able to apply for a new coe while one is in progress. the process can take up to 3 months and the school should have told you this. if you plan for the school to submit the paperwork while youre here, you technically run the risk of going over your 90 day visa if it takes the max time, not to mention you have to live somewhere. any immigration office should be fine.

you really should be in america to get your coe.

Hey all!

I've applied with and am currently waiting for a response from Interac to be an ALT in Japan. I'm guessing I'll be frequenting this thread with some questions.

Just for a bit about me: I'm 23, male, I have a BS in computer science, and I know very little Japanese (but I'm trying to learn more). I have hiragana down, mostly good with katakana, and am slowly losing my mind learning kanji. A good friend of mine has taught me enough to know some basic sentence structure and some phrases and stuff.

I've read plenty about what to expect being culturally displaced and I feel like I have the right expectations and attitude going into it.m. However, I do have a pretty heavy question that perhaps someone with some firsthand experience can help with:

What is it going to be like for me being openly gay in Japan? I've read about this and done some research, and I know homosexuality is a taboo there that people may not often publicly harass me for, but it will come with a social stigma. Will I be able to live a happy life there? I'm assuming that if I'm placed in a more rural area then I'm more likely to be under scrutiny and therefore will feel the social pressure more, compared to if I were placed somewhere more populated.

Going back to being closeted is not an option for me really. I've been open for a few years now and I couldn't be happier that way.

Honestly, I don't see how it could be worse than where I currently live (West Virginia, USA). Here, I actually have been verbally harassed in public and have been followed/watched to the point that I feared for my safety. I know in Japan that's less likely, and instead the effects I feel will be a bit more subtle and passive, but I'm still worried about it.

Not that it matters (and I must insert a disclaimer that I absolutely do not judge or discriminate based on this quality, love everyone y'all) but I feel like it applies to this situation: my idiosyncrasies and mannerisms are such that people will probably assume I am straight. Which means this will probably be coming up in conversation which could make things get really uncomfortable really fast. I'm worried about people assuming I'm straight then being visibly uncomfortable when I mention my sexuality ("Do you have a girlfriend?" "No I'm gay actually.") Basically, what would be an elegant way to explain it if it comes up? That's a question that's not specific to Japan but it's one I thought I'd ask.

Sorry to drop such a heavy question so quickly! But any shared advice or experiences would be really valuable and I thank anyone who replies in advance.

I'm an expert

This is anecdotal but I lived for years in some of the most rural areas you can find with some of the most openly gay colleagues and friends, both Japanese and foreign, and never heard or saw a single issue. I have been to bars in places you wouldnt expect to find a single lgbt person and there was an active and healthy community. I won't pretend to know every bit of these people's daily lives and the different experiences they have, but I'm not exaggerating when I say in over a decade I never heard a single heinous act of discrimination against them for that reason. For other reasons, sure, but not that.

I won't comment on whether there really is a stigma or not as I'm sure you'll figure out the climate here yourself, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. That said, the scene in Kansai and Chuugoku in my experience is vasty different than Tokyo area. In short, much more awesome than gutter trash Tokyo.

Just for comparison, I have seen regular women, native and foreign, harassed and abused countless times in the most casual of settings.

This is anecdotal but I lived for years in some of the most rural areas you can find with some of the most openly gay colleagues and friends, both Japanese and foreign, and never heard or saw a single issue. I have been to bars in places you wouldnt expect to find a single lgbt person and there was an active and healthy community. I won't pretend to know every bit of these people's daily lives and the different experiences they have, but I'm not exaggerating when I say in over a decade I never heard a single heinous act of discrimination against them for that reason. For other reasons, sure, but not that.

I won't comment on whether there really is a stigma or not as I'm sure you'll figure out the climate here yourself, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. That said, the scene in Kansai and Chuugoku in my experience is vasty different than Tokyo area. In short, much more awesome than gutter trash Tokyo.

Just for comparison, I have seen regular women, native and foreign, harassed and abused countless times in the most casual of settings.

Thanks for your reply!

And this is immensely relieving to hear. I'm going to remain really optimistic about the situation.

Do you think the attitude will be any different if I'm a teacher? I know people often ignorantly associate homosexuality with pedophelia, so I'm nervous that might be an issue.

All of the training and information I've received has been sure to reinforce the idea that I'm a role model and should act as such, and that in a more rural place I might be watched extra carefully by my students outside of the classroom. So I was worried about being able to live my life (which probably means being seen in public with men) and not alienate the students and their parents.

But your post actually helped calm me down a little. I was really nervous about being some kind of outcast or disgrace but I'm feeling a lot better about it. Hearing anyone else's experience with the issue would be great too!

I'm an expert

There are a million..or less..lgbt alts, and I've met plenty over the years. They make up a lot of the communities I was talking about. In general, I would just not bring the topic up in a work setting. I understand people will ask and be curious, but being neutral about it is fine. I know of teachers who have told their immediate..whats it called..like their supervisor person about it as friends, but I don't know if they went as far as to announce to the entire work place. Im sure there are. Its not really a pedo thing, the teachers and students here are already insanely touchy feely and spend ungodly amounts of time together.

There are lots of alts here so they can probably give you more insight. But I can confirm that the alts in the more rural areas are much more scrutinized by the local community. So it might be a reality that during yor personal life not in your immediate neighborhood, you can be as open as you like, but in your small area you might have to be more discrete. I know, not the best answer, but yeah I'm not 100% intimate with how an alt works with this stuff.

Thanks for your reply!

And this is immensely relieving to hear. I'm going to remain really optimistic about the situation.

Do you think the attitude will be any different if I'm a teacher? I know people often ignorantly associate homosexuality with pedophelia, so I'm nervous that might be an issue.

All of the training and information I've received has been sure to reinforce the idea that I'm a role model and should act as such, and that in a more rural place I might be watched extra carefully by my students outside of the classroom. So I was worried about being able to live my life (which probably means being seen in public with men) and not alienate the students and their parents.

But your post actually helped calm me down a little. I was really nervous about being some kind of outcast or disgrace but I'm feeling a lot better about it. Hearing anyone else's experience with the issue would be great too!

Have you seen Amadofu's youtube channel? He's been in Japan for a few years and is an open gay man. If you watch his videos or reach out to him you might get some advice and reassurance.

Kurita

Hey guys.
I'm going to study in Japan for a year and I basically have two questions for life over there :
-> Can I use my regular phone over there (it's not simlocked) but with a Japanese phone company or do I have to get another one?

-> Best bank for a foreigner? The most important thing I'm looking for is being able to do/receive international funds transfers immediately.

Thanks!

I'm an expert

Check your phones model and frequencies and all that shit..there are sites out there that basically instantly tell you if your phone works. It probably does, but what do you want..just data? Voice?

Most will recommend shinsei for dumb foreigners but your best bet is whatever the most abundant local bank there is. All banks will do international transfers but in general just doing it at the post office is fine too, no account needed. Or using whatever the golloyds equivalent nowadays is. Theres no such thing as an immediate international transfer, least not for you.

I dont really deal with either of these questions so im sure someone with more relevant info can pop in but i wanted to remind you that you cant escape me.

Crayolan

I just use my US bank account for international transfer and withdraw from international ATMs (in 7/11s) whenever needed. It's only one way though so ignore this if you need to be sending money back home.

I have a shinsei bank account as well but that's just for paying my rent.

Kurita

I just use my US bank account for international transfer and withdraw from international ATMs (in 7/11s) whenever needed. It's only one way though so ignore this if you need to be sending money back home.

I have a shinsei bank account as well but that's just for paying my rent.

Nah no need to send back home actually, it's just to transfer funds from a French account to the Japanese one.

I'm an expert

See if there's an international bank or brokerage account in your home country that waives international banking fees.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Hey guys.
I'm going to study in Japan for a year and I basically have two questions for life over there :
-> Can I use my regular phone over there (it's not simlocked) but with a Japanese phone company or do I have to get another one?

-> Best bank for a foreigner? The most important thing I'm looking for is being able to do/receive international funds transfers immediately.

Thanks!
If you're going on a scholarship to an university here, there's a chance that going to the post office together and making an account for everyone will be a part of the orientation. That's how it was for me.

Resilient

35-42 Celsius is like..most days in Australia between Nov and March. But I guess the humidity makes it harder for you guys there? Just drink some water and stay in the shade 😎

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
35-42 Celsius is like..most days in Australia between Nov and March. But I guess the humidity makes it harder for you guys there? Just drink some water and stay in the shade 😎
Yes, humidity generally makes heat much worse. :(

That said, when I go to work it's not hot yet, when I go home it's already not as hot and my office has AC, so I don't have anything complain about on weekdays.

Can't imagine being a teacher in this weather, is it true that most schools don't allow for AC?

I'm an expert

Lunch outside today in Ginza..no issues..not even humid this summer yet.

Darksol

Yes, humidity generally makes heat much worse. :(

That said, when I go to work it's not hot yet, when I go home it's already not as hot and my office has AC, so I don't have anything complain about on weekdays.

Can't imagine being a teacher in this weather, is it true that most schools don't allow for AC?

Eh? Maybe I'm just lucky, but that's not the case for me. I teach at three different schools in Tokyo and we blast the AC the moment someone says it's hot.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Eh? Maybe I'm just lucky, but that's not the case for me. I teach at three different schools in Tokyo and we blast the AC the moment someone says it's hot.
Maybe it depends on the region? My few teacher friends in Kansai are complaining every summer about how hot it is inside the school.

Ayumi

Why is the Pokemon Go data disabled here anyway?

Only thing I can think of is Japan exclusive stuff. But why haven't we gotten the app at all? Maybe the US are lab rats.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Why is the Pokemon Go data disabled here anyway?

Only thing I can think of is Japan exclusive stuff. But why haven't we gotten the app at all? Maybe the US are lab rats.
They said that the international release has been delayed because of the server problems. Putting out the app before it can be used would be a bad move for many reasons. Good news is that it should be out here and everywhere else within a few days.

I'm an expert

Apparently the app was out and pulled within hours though. People saying the server blips on for an hour here and there. Im just looking forward to seeing if it will become something my son and I can do together outside of the house when the weather is too rough to actually play outside.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Apparently the app was out and pulled within hours though. People saying the server blips on for an hour here and there. Im just looking forward to seeing if it will become something my son and I can do together outside of the house when the weather is too rough to actually play outside.
I haven't heard about it being out here on iOS, but the server blips are probably for testing on their side. What's funny is that the official Japanese site is up and has links to the iOS app page (which doesn't work).

I'm an expert

It was android I believe was released. But other regions versions might work? I havent tried.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
It was android I believe was released. But other regions versions might work? I havent tried.
Yeah, your progress is based on the account, not the app region, so if you grab the app from a different region/Android store, you can play during those short periods when servers are up.

Resilient

You definitely will. I was explaining to my Dad how the game worked a few days back and he thought it was great.

I spent 4 hours in car last night driving around trying to catch mons with friends. This app changes people.

Ayumi

The Ghibli exhibition says 60 minutes waiting time today (probably for those without tickets), just in case anyone were curious/thinking of going.

Crayolan

Is there a good way to exchange a ton of 1/5 yen coins into bills quickly?

I'm returning to my home country soon and don't want anything to go to waste. Would a currency exchange take a bag full of a few hundred 1 yen coins?

I seriously don't understand how people end up with so much small change. I don't think there's been a single time in the past two years where I had more than 10 one-yen coins. Any time I have more than a dozen or so coins total in my wallet I start getting antsy and looking for any chance to dump them.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Is there a good way to exchange a ton of 1/5 yen coins into bills quickly?

I'm returning to my home country soon and don't want anything to go to waste. Would a currency exchange take a bag full of a few hundred 1 yen coins?
Check this.

Top Bottom